• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Visiting family members at other Disney Hotels

There is no such thing. Doesn't exist.

And non-concierge guests should not partake of the concierge offerings. Just not right.

The poster who was partaking in the CL offerings was OFFERED them by a CM. Sheesh...seems there are a good number of people on these boards who are overly territorial of CL lounge offerings lately. First the glass bottles of water thread, now this. How exactly does it hurt you for a non-CL guest who is visiting family staying on CL to have 1 soda, heck throw in some goldfish crackers too! How is it any different than the non-CL family members going to the CL members room and the CL member *bringing* them a soda from the lounge.

If the person staying in CL picks it up and hands it to the guest not staying there is THAT ok? Are there stipulations that the CL guest MUST drink that very soda they picked up? :rolleyes:

OK, maybe I'm confused, but when I booked my hotel it was a certain rate for the room, and then a $10 a person charge for each additional adult per night. I have seen other threads about people asking about some family member joining them at Disney for just part of the stay--and people answered that you could indeed add people for part of the stay, provided you payed the extra charge. Of course this would only be possible if it was within the limits of the room....

If you have more than two adults in your room, you pay an extra fee for each extra adult. That fee varies from resort to resort. You can't just keep adding people to the room. You are limited by occupancy limits. So a standard room at the YC would sleep five. If you already have four on the reservation, you can add one more person to the room. If you have the dining plan, you will also pay for the dining plan and tickets for the extra person. But if you already have five, you can't add any additional people to the room.

If you have more than two adults in your room, you pay an extra fee for each extra adult. That fee varies from resort to resort. You can't just keep adding people to the room. You are limited by occupancy limits. So a standard room at the YC would sleep five. If you already have four on the reservation, you can add one more person to the room. If you have the dining plan, you will also pay for the dining plan and tickets for the extra person. But if you already have five, you can't add any additional people to the room.

Yes, that is what I was talking about, and you explained it better than I could have. I assumed it was $10 everywhere since that's what it was at the deluxe I booked recently. I did see on another thread though that visitors can sometimes be added for a few nights without adding to the dining plan, when done at check-in. (And this would be much simpler for someone with a room-only reservation, like I do.) Of course that thread could have been wrong too. But anyway, the OP doesn't seem interested in any of this, so it is a moot point.

Please believe that I was not trying to tell anyone to break any rules, nor do I try to do it myself. Just know that it really makes me not want to ask any questions or try to help anyone when I get jumped like in this thread.

Jus ta wild and crazy thought. If your friends want to use SAB, why don't they pay to stay at the YC or BC and then they can use it all they want.

Yes, that is what I was talking about, and you explained it better than I could have. I assumed it was $10 everywhere since that's what it was at the deluxe I booked recently.

Actually many if not all of us have paid $25 per additional adult at Deluxe level.

Good News!!!! I don't have to be deceitful. I just called the Yacht Club. The CM who answered the phone told me that the procedure is to tell the front desk that I am expecting guests and they will be able to use the pool with us.

If that's what you were indeed told, you were given false information. End of story.

Anyone can visit any resort at any time. We always make a trip to other resorts during our stay. We walk around the grounds, soak up the atmosphere, have a meal, browse the shops, ask to see a room. The only thing that is officially not allowed is using the pools.

Someone SOOO needs to send that memo to our waitress at Whispering Canyon last week. She was telling me how we needed to come try the pool at the WL, and since we were staying onsite (we were at the CR) we were allowed to use any pool we wanted - except the one at Beach Club.

Oh wow - this is quite interesting. Here's another scenario. Next month, my kids and I are staying at BC, but their dad (my ex) and his gf will be staying at Pop. We are actually planning for the 5 of us to spend a good part of the week visiting the parks together (have known ex's gf since kindergarten - we all get along quite nicely.) Some days my ex and his gf will go off on their own, and they have also offered to take the kids at times so I can have a little "me" time. So lets say that the 4 of them want to go swimming. Based on "the rules" my kids can't swim at Pop but my ex and his gf can't swim at BC. How might we deal with this situation?

Oh wow - this is quite interesting. Here's another scenario. Next month, my kids and I are staying at BC, but their dad (my ex) and his gf will be staying at Pop. We are actually planning for the 5 of us to spend a good part of the week visiting the parks together (have known ex's gf since kindergarten - we all get along quite nicely.) Some days my ex and his gf will go off on their own, and they have also offered to take the kids at times so I can have a little "me" time. So lets say that the 4 of them want to go swimming. Based on "the rules" my kids can't swim at Pop but my ex and his gf can't swim at BC. How might we deal with this situation?

Just ask at each hotel - its highly likely that they will be able to swim with them at their hotel or yours depending in where they are.

It's one of these things that is more of a problem on the boards than it is in Disney's eyes.

Liz

Your kids will have no trouble swimming with your ex at Pop. They don't card there and there is plenty of room. If it makes you/him feel better, he can ask the lifeguard.

The only problem might be your ex + girlfriend swimming at the BC since they will probably be asking for room cards. However, if _I_ were the lifeguard and you told them that your ex and his girlfriend were visiting you and the kids for the day and they were at Pop, _I_ would let them stay. I also would give you one of the miracle fast pass tickets for a free fast pass for all the rides since I'm amazed that you are able to get along so well with your ex! You deserve more than that! I might even throw in a Fudge Mud Slide from Beaches and Cream for you!!! But, alas, I am not a lifeguard, so you will have to take your chances.

Maggie

JMHO...when I ask a question on the board...I realize I'm going to get different opinions which is probably why I'm asking in the first place. Unfortunately not everyone gives their opinion in a nice way which they should.

I think the real issue is that folks feel if they are paying for something to use then it is only fair for everyone to pay for it. The gets further frustrating when they can't use something they have paid for because many people who didn't pay for it are using it. So when this question is asked....posters cite the sign language at the pools because some DIS posters want to discourage others from even trying this. I can see their point...when I'm at a hotel and I want to use the pool....I'd like to find room to do so....but again, IMHO, I doubt that Disney would let you use the pool or not let you use the pool based on what you were told on this board.

As long as folks can keep their answers/opinions focused in a positive manner, then I think it's great to ask the questions and get the different opinions.

When it comes to an issue such as the pools, etc. I ask at disney and what they let me do is the final answer....regardless of what anyone else thinks. They own it....they make the final decision. So if they let you use the pool after asking them....go for it....if they give you a drink from the CL....great for you. My only word of caution or advice is that you can get a different answer from different CM's....so the advice you were given previously....to ask at the time you are at the pool is good advice. Even if you were told on the phone by a CM....the lifeguards may not honor that request.

Just my thoughts.

Your kids will have no trouble swimming with your ex at Pop. They don't card there and there is plenty of room. If it makes you/him feel better, he can ask the lifeguard.

The only problem might be your ex + girlfriend swimming at the BC since they will probably be asking for room cards. However, if _I_ were the lifeguard and you told them that your ex and his girlfriend were visiting you and the kids for the day and they were at Pop, _I_ would let them stay. I also would give you one of the miracle fast pass tickets for a free fast pass for all the rides since I'm amazed that you are able to get along so well with your ex! You deserve more than that! I might even throw in a Fudge Mud Slide from Beaches and Cream for you!!! But, alas, I am not a lifeguard, so you will have to take your chances.

Maggie

The rules are still the same at POP as at BC, being a Value does not mean the rules at Deluxes do not apply.

The best bet would be for ex to add the kids to his room as well. This will be no extra charge as it will be within occupancy and the kids will have room keys there as well - allowing them access to the resort pool.

Maggie

Thank you Maggie. He deserves just as much credit. It's all about the kids. We always talked about taking the kids to Disney World when we were still married, so when I decided to book this trip last November, I asked him if they wanted to join us so he could share in the experience with them. And it worked out so nicely that the week we chose includes the ex's birthday and our son's birthday. The fact that we all get along so well made it an easy choice.

As far as the pool situation is concerned, my guess is that ex and gf would not actually swim with the kids at SAB; more likely they would lounge by pool and "supervise." That being said, I'm sure some people would take more issue with them taking up chairs rather than being in the pool. I think we will mention the situation at each of respective hotels when we check in and take it from there.

My only word of caution or advice is that you can get a different answer from different CM's....so the advice you were given previously....to ask at the time you are at the pool is good advice. Even if you were told on the phone by a CM....the lifeguards may not honor that request.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the constructive thoughts. :)

My problem is that i am trying to make plans with a friend who lives in Tampa. We thought it would be nice for them to come up, hang out at the pool and then goto dinner at one of the restaurants on the boardwalk. I'm not really interested in "putting one over" on Disney and getting something for nothing. It's not like I'm planning my trip saying to myself, "Let's pay for value resort but get all the deluxe resort amenities for free." I'm actually interested in spending more money on Disney property rather than going elsewhere. I just want to have a nice relaxing afternoon with some friends that I haven't seen in years. It would be very dissapointing to invite them for the day only to told that they are not permitted in. My experience at WDW is that they have rules to deal with crowds but are pretty reasonable when you have a good reason for a special request. Maybe that's why the CM I talked to told me "no problem."

I posted because when I saw this thread I was hoping someone had had a similar experience that they could relate but so far I have not seen anything other than the person who had a good experience with bringing friends to CL so I'm pretty confident that I will have a magical day when I see my friends.

Anyway, I'll be sure to check again when I get down there and as I said in an earlier post I will report when I return home in two weeks.

My problem is that i am trying to make plans with a friend who lives in Tampa. We thought it would be nice for them to come up, hang out at the pool and then goto dinner at one of the restaurants on the boardwalk. I'm not really interested in "putting one over" on Disney and getting something for nothing. It's not like I'm planning my trip saying to myself, "Let's pay for value resort but get all the deluxe resort amenities for free." I'm actually interested in spending more money on Disney property rather than going elsewhere. I just want to have a nice relaxing afternoon with some friends that I haven't seen in years. It would be very dissapointing to invite them for the day only to told that they are not permitted in. My experience at WDW is that they have rules to deal with crowds but are pretty reasonable when you have a good reason for a special request. Maybe that's why the CM I talked to told me "no problem."

I posted because when I saw this thread I was hoping someone had had a similar experience that they could relate but so far I have not seen anything other than the person who had a good experience with bringing friends to CL so I'm pretty confident that I will have a magical day when I see my friends.

Anyway, I'll be sure to check again when I get down there and as I said in an earlier post I will report when I return home in two weeks.

My guess is you will have a good experience as well - let us know how it works out!

Liz

We love the theme, the atmosphere and the location, the unbelievable views all around the lagoon. I'll admit that there's an emotional attachment, too. Stayed there many times as a kid (and it was my first), and being there brings back so many magical memories. We love visiting the other resorts, too, but prefer to stay at the Poly.

Perhaps you could send them to one of the Disney water parks for a day? It would cost extra (unless you have the Water Parks and More add-on to your park passes) but it would be a much more fun diversion for the kids, and it would keep them occupied longer than simply playing in a resort pool, giving you more "me" time to shop, relax, or visit a park on your own. Currently, 1-day passes to either of the Disney water parks are $42.60 for adults, and $36.21 for kids. Not cheap, but if it's in the budget, it's a possible alternative.

What is your source for this assertion?

It's been the official WDW policy for at least ten years. Pools are provided for Guests of the each particular resort only, and hopping is not permitted except in special circumstances:

* DVC members staying on points may swim at any resort, except Stormalong Bay at Y&BC

* Guests at "sister" resorts may swim at the sister resorts' pools, i.e. POR and POFQ Guests can hop to each others pools and Guests at any of the All-Star resorts can swim in any of the All-Star pools

* In rare cases where a resort's main pool is closed for rehab, Guests may be directed to a specific alternate pool at a nearby resort

Other than that, pool-hopping is not permitted.

It's been the official WDW policy for at least ten years. Pools are provided for Guests of the each particular resort only, and hopping is not permitted except in special circumstances:

* DVC members staying on points may swim at any resort, except Stormalong Bay at Y&BC

* Guests at "sister" resorts may swim at the sister resorts' pools, i.e. POR and POFQ Guests can hop to each others pools and Guests at any of the All-Star resorts can swim in any of the All-Star pools

* In rare cases where a resort's main pool is closed for rehab, Guests may be directed to a specific alternate pool at a nearby resort

Other than that, pool-hopping is not permitted.

OK, but I'm not talking about "pool hopping". I'm talking about requesting permission to have visitors. Have you ever asked?

My problem is that i am trying to make plans with a friend who lives in Tampa. We thought it would be nice for them to come up, hang out at the pool and then goto dinner at one of the restaurants on the boardwalk. ....

Your problem is you are going over Memorial Day/Week and it can get very crowded there. I'd bet the YC/BC/BCV have almost no availability for that time. When it's hot and everyone wants to swim and half the guests want to bring friends to SAB, it's going to be extremely crowded at the pool. You may very well be told "Sorry, No". If you were going in mid-January, it might be a different story. Temperatures have been in the mid-90's this week already, so everyone wants to cool off at the pool.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter