Victoria & Albert's - Picture Trip Report

ehagerty

DIS Veteran
This may take awhile, after all there are 6-8 courses (depending on how you count) and 3 diners.

Background: DH and I have been here twice, both in the 1990's (someone else was paying). I recall it being elegant and nice, but either they have raised the bar, or my appreciation has improved (or both), because this was WOW (well worth it). This dinner was Mom, DS(20) and DS(18) - no special event, just thought:
(a) they were old enough to appreciate it
(b) it is on the DDE list
(c) I had some Visa rewards to spend
(d) we were looking for something "new" to try (for DSs) and
(e) it had been awhile (1997).

Summary: WOW. I have to admit, I cook, I eat, I enjoy wine. I am willing to spend money on food, but I do consider the cost (value-for-the-dollar) in my decisions. I can be happy with a really good can of beans. I can appreciate a bite-sized morsel created from 16 ingredients, 8 steps, and hours of time. I considered V&A a "once a decade" experience, based on price. I will be thinking hard about how to justify returning in September with DH. 'Nuff with the words. Here are the pictures.....

For those who may not already be aware, there are other nights to this story..
Night #1 - Victoria & Alberts - Picture Trip Report (January, 2009) - THIS REPORT
Night #2 - Victoria & Albert - A Once-in-a-Decade Dinner, for the second time in 2009 (May, 2009)
Night #3 - Victoria & Albert - My Dining Scheherazade (September, 2009)
Night #4 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #4 - "Table for One" (October, 2009)
Night #5 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #5 - "Table for One - Again" 23 FEB 10 (February, 2010)
Night #6&7 - Victoria & Albert - Dining Scheherazade Night #6&7 - "I could die happy, and I am only 20" (May 2010) (February, 2010)​

Wine Pairings - I thought, since I was going out on a financial limb anyway, why not try the wine pairings. I presumed they would be small (like Artist Point, or Brown Derby - on ounce or so per tasting). I was pleasantly surprised to have 6 full (normal portion, not "to the brim") glasses of wine. For $60, that works out to $10/glass - pretty reasonable at most Disney restaurants - really reasonable for the quality of what they were pouring here.

The bad news - my sons are not old enough to help out - and I typically only have a couple of glasses of wine a week, IF I am cooking with it - a relative lightweight.

The good news - one of said sober sons has a driver's license to drive us back to All Stars Sports (well, we were moving to WLV the next day, but conserve our DVC points on Fri/Sat nights). Yes, you heard me correctly - ASSp. Poor security guard at GF when he read the parking permit on the dash of the rental PT Cruiser (only car choice available to me with Avis/Priceline - was OK, though). He recovered quickly and politely noted that valet is complimentary for V&A patrons.

Oh, yes - the FOOD.

Amuse Bouche - there is no description from the menu, but I think I recall most of the items - I will make up my own descriptions...

The Amuse Bouch plate consisted on 4 sections, each containing a bite-sized tidbit of seafood, one plate per person....

Exquisitely tender morsel of lobster in butter....

p758203078-4.jpg

Teeny-tiny, scrumptious crab cake

p498704881-4.jpg

World's smallest, perfectly-formed salmon roll

p495566875-4.jpg

Lobster Bisque with cream foam

p188329419-4.jpg

Wine Pairing - Gosset Excellence Brut, Ay NV

Summary: Our mouths were definitely entertained, our tastebuds tickled.....

I know I just posted my own review of V&A, but I wanted what you had! :laughing:

My DH and I ate there in October and loved it. Looking forward to your review.

Ok, I am hooked, I am ready for the next installment. My husband and I are cannont wait to go there some day. Right now it is a pipe dream, since we have three very small children . . . But i can live through you!:goodvibes

Your photos are always nothing but amazing!

I almost liked the cup of lobster bisque when I had it in October. Dh reminded me that it isn't good manners!!

Loving your review! I almost licked the screen when I saw that lobster amuse!

How did I nor realize that V&A's is on DDE??? That would save my family about $140! Even with the mandatory 18% tip! Oh this is interesting...I think I might have to talk to my DDad...He has been interested in trying V&A for quite some time.

Here's my math...

$125/person + $60/person for Food & Wine

$185/person

TOTAL (pre-tax) $555

TIP (18%) $100

TOTAL (with tax & tip) $691

With DDE $148/person

TOTAL (pre-tax) $444

TIP (18%) $80

TOTAL (with tax & tip) $550

SAVINGS $140!

Considering that we dont way to do Party for the Senses this year, which was $135/head this past year, $148 at V&A with wine tastings isn't that dramatically different. Hmm...the possibilities :thumbsup2

Yeah! I love V & A reviews although I've yet to try it. Oh, and for what it's worth, I love ASSports. :rotfl:

I know I just posted my own review of V&A, but I wanted what you had! :laughing:

I look forward to reading it!

Ok, I am hooked, I am ready for the next installment. My husband and I are cannot wait to go there some day. Right now it is a pipe dream, since we have three very small children . . . But i can live through you!:goodvibes

We've been going to WDW since 1989 - and this is the first time we planned and paid to do this. It is worth the wait. It is also worth salting away a small sum a week with the intention of splurging in a few years!!

Your photos are always nothing but amazing!

Thank you.

I almost liked the cup of lobster bisque when I had it in October. Dh reminded me that it isn't good manners!!

I'm pretty sure my sons used the french bread to remove all trace of residue from the cup!!

Loving your review! I almost licked the screen when I saw that lobster amuse!

How did I nor realize that V&A's is on DDE??? That would save my family about $140! Even with the mandatory 18% tip! Oh this is interesting...I think I might have to talk to my DDad...He has been interested in trying V&A for quite some time.

V&A on DDE - pretty nice, hmmm? I think your math and logic are impeccable. Who can resist it? As I often explain (with spreadsheets in hand) - well, its not so much that we SAVE - I'd like to think we just get really good value for the dollar.......

I'll be back, and it won't be next decade, either.

Yeah! I love V & A reviews although I've yet to try it. Oh, and for what it's worth, I love ASSports. :rotfl:

I don't mind ASSp, and I appreciate staying on Disney grounds for a reasonable price. I'd be fibbing if I said I loved it, though. I do, however, love the Wilderness Lodge. DVC, 1992 - best investment I ever made - and the only one appreciating in value and generating revenue......

There were 3 duets of bread and butter between courses.

French Bread and something-special butter. This might have been the butter created by an artisan in Vermont who sells their entire inventory to Disney. Butter, perfect. Bread, perfect. Crisp crust, airy, steamy, and briefly moist when cracked open. I didn't take any notes (thought the menu would suffice for reference). Guess I'll have to do more research in September.....

p412536060-4.jpg

Truffle bread, truffle butter - unique and delicious. You can tell from this picture that I was falling behind on the consumption of my wine pairings!

p990727429-4.jpg

The whole wheat - or oat - bread, also very good, eluded being photographed somehow.....

These "courses" do not have a name - we'll just go in menu order.....

At this point, the DSs are getting acclimated to have every crumb removed between each course, having a new napkin after each foray to the restroom, and listening to subdued harp music.

Sesame Crusted Big Eye Tuna with Tat Soi Salad and Tamari Honey Foam
(Wine Pairing = Marcel Deiss Pinot Blanc Bergheim, Alsace 2005)

p374670709-4.jpg

Plate / Presentation

p355006402-3.jpg

*** OR ***

Dungeness Crab Cannelloni with Baby Greens, Radishes and Italian Caviar

p469736117-4.jpg

..... with a close up of the Cannelloni

p366638900-4.jpg

(Side bar note - V&A is NOT an easy photo-shoot. Dark ambient light, white plates, required use of flash (for my camera, anyway), difficult focal length so close to the subject. You can really see the challenge in the contrast between the white plate and the darker roses behind it. Weddings are tough because of the contrast between groom-black and bride-white. Black belt tests are tougher because of white gees and motion. V&A was a close third. Oh, and I am an IT Project Manager by profession and the camera is Canon EOS 2006 - two questions people usually ask about this point in the thread.)

Coming up next, Elk & Duck.....

Love the photos!

I started showing them to DH, but he cried, "I can't look at that before we have our dinner tonight." Will have to show him later...

We'll try both, please!! 2 Elk, 1 Duck

Minnesota Elk Tenderloin over Mustard Spaetzle and Apple-Wine Kraut

p1005010444-4.jpg

Wine Pairing: Castilla Perelada Le Garriga Samso, Catalonia 2004

Duck Breast, Sausage and Confit with Salsify, Sauce Bigarade

p390085722-4.jpg

You might think "I don't know if I'd like Elk" or "I don't like mustard on hot dogs, I probably won't like it in spaetzle" or "Kraut, you kidding me?" But everything here is top quality - never gamey or harsh. Among us, we ordered everything on the standard menu and we all loved everything. This is not a difficult place to be adventurous!!! I wouldn't characterize DSs as adventurous eaters, either.

Hmmmmm, can I get one more course in before the hockey game??? Sabres on a road trip to the West Coast, late start - why not!!

Next course - from the sea - grouper or scallops? Both, please!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter