Victoria & Albert's - Picture Trip Report

I must say, I have never been interested in V&A's.....

until now.

The food looks amazing! Great photography, as well.:goodvibes

Beautiful report. How wonderful that you could share that experience with your sons :) Thank you!

Manajaq - am I seeing right - joined July, 2008 - and this is your first post? You gave up your long-term-lurker status for me? Ahhhh, thanks!!

Friandise, anyway

p1048787675-4.jpg

What you have here are three post-dessert treats

Left: cookie - some variation on Russian tea cookie, Mexican wedding cake - almond, I think. Excellent, but for those of us of a certain age, we grew up in neighborhoods with first generation immigrants who made these from scratch every Christmas, and shared them. Excellent, familiar, but not what you would call unique (not that everything has to be unique, just observing...)

Middle: chocolate covered caramel - liquid caramel - liquid still slightly WARM caramel. Unlike anything I've had before. Buttery, rich - probably not something that can be commercially made / sold - wouldn't withstand distribution.

Right: probably has a "real" name, but to get you oriented quickly, we'll call it a "gourmet gum drop" - only soft and chewy - with fresh, tart fruit flavor. Loved it! DSs let me have them all!!

Up next (and last), a visit to the kitchen!

Firstly - LOVED the review, and despite the complications with all the white and dark - the pictures were wonderful - thank you for sharing!!

Also - Not sure it's what V&A would call them but the "gourmet gum drop" you mention - we have something very similar in the UK and they are known as Jellies....I don't eat the ones you can get in the supermarkets and such - too sweet and artifical....however, I have tried some made by top chocolatiers and they are as they should be, firm but soft, not gooey, and the fruity taste....oh boy - sweet and tart!!

Firstly - LOVED the review, and despite the complications with all the white and dark - the pictures were wonderful - thank you for sharing!!

Also - Not sure it's what V&A would call them but the "gourmet gum drop" you mention - we have something very similar in the UK and they are known as Jellies....I don't eat the ones you can get in the supermarkets and such - too sweet and artifical....however, I have tried some made by top chocolatiers and they are as they should be, firm but soft, not gooey, and the fruity taste....oh boy - sweet and tart!!

I am not nearly as active on these boards as I plan to be in retirement- unfortunately, that isn't anytime soon (and it's not the economy's fault...). So, thank you for the appreciation. Do you think they would have these jellies as a Godiva store - or is that not high end enough?

Amazing....simply amazing. I can only aspire to take photos as beautiful as yours during my dinner.

I sent him a link to this thread - and he actually send me this email back:

Thanks so much for the pictures. During my travels I have taken many
pictures but never this beautiful. Each of them told a story and your
eloquence describing each item made them even better. Your story on the
wine pairing was also a wonderful compliment. I strive to find
innovative ways to offer great quality and value in our wine program and
I'm glad that you enjoyed my choices

It was a wonderful pleasure serving you and your family. Please call me
any time in the future if I may be of assistance. Perhaps we'll see you
next time at our Chef Table.

I include it here, not for his reference to my pictures, but as a compliment to him in particular and V&A in general. He didn't have to, you know? But he did.

p.s. - I don't think I should post his email address, but if you talk to him on the way out, he will probably give it to you himself.

I think that is one heck of a fine manager!

I think so often people go to a great restaurant and compliment the servers/chef/maitre d' and all while there, and so people should. But the nature of your compliments are even more enduring.

I really liked your photos/ comments etc AND his response--not a stock phrasing of "Thank you". I feel that he was pleased and touched by your appreciation. I like these win win moments!
:-)hug: warmy fuzzy feeling!)

Thanks for sharing!:flower3:

This is one of the best reviews I've ever read/seen. Thanks for posting. I've always wanted to experience V&A but now it's a must our next trip.

Terrific review. I feel guilty saying this - last time at V&A's (Oct 2007) we went with another couple and stopped at Mizner's first for cocktails, then ordered a bottle of wine for the four of us to start, then all ordered the wine pairings and then finished off a half bottle of Penfold's Grange that the table next to us did not finish (I can't imagine what they charge for Grange at V&A's).

What an excellent review!! The pictures alone are worth a thousand words.
Israel is an fine manager and a wine expert in his own right.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!