Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Well once you start posting, let us know! I'd love to check it out!

I have a sort of vegan blog, but it's my personal blog as well (which is cool that everyone checks out). I post recipes that I've enjoyed quite frequently @ www.heart1lly.com.

Also, I just came over here to point out how pleasantly surprised I am by how many vegans there actually are, now. the And vegetarians, too. I remember when I was vegetarian, even on the internet I wouldn't come across another veggie. Mostly if people found out, I'd get mocked. Now we have a thread for vegetarian and vegan in Walt Disney World and look at the turn out! It's like some sort of revolution, haha.

I've heard yak & yeti CS cooks everything in veggie broth. The hood thing with counter service is every one has a nook of ingredients. Just ask for a manager or chef and ask to look at the book or to have the chef talk to you.

For CS, Tangerine cafe in Epcot Morocco is great, as well as sunshine seasons in the land.

The lighthouse sandwich on MK at Columbia Harbour house is great.

There are lots of great choices.

At DTD, Earl of sandwich has two veggie sandwiches. The veggie sandwich was so good. I had it two nights in a row. See my live dining trip report right mow for pictures.
Thanks, those are all some of my favorites anyway, but I've never tried their vegetarian options. I'm excited to now! :goodvibes

Also, should I just stay away from any gelatin type dessert? I'm assuming none of them are vegetarian.

Thanks, those are all some of my favorites anyway, but I've never tried their vegetarian options. I'm excited to now! :goodvibes

Also, should I just stay away from any gelatin type dessert? I'm assuming none of them are vegetarian.

Anything that looks like "Jello" is probably not going to be vegetarian. Vegetarian "Jello" (made with pectin instead of gelatin) isn't something commonly served.

Also, to answer one of your earlier questions, from what I have heard EVERYTHING at Nine Dragons in China at Epcot is either cooked in chicken broth or has meat in it. The same is allegedly true of their counter service food (even the rolls).

To help you out a bit (since I know it can be confusing being a beginning vegetarian) here are a few things with gelatin in them that people don't commonly think to even check on...

Marshmallows and anything with marshmallow in it (unless you get the kinds labelled "vegan". You eat fish, so marshmallows labeled "kosher" would be alright for you too as they are made from fish gelatin. Marshmallow Fluff is also vegetarian, but not vegan as it is made with egg whites. There are vegan versions of all this stuff but they are not readily available at most restaurants and certainly not theme parks)
Skittles (the "crazy cores" variety has switched over to become vegetarian and they seem to be in the process of switching over the other flavors as well, but check out the packages. Usually unless you get the "crazy core" variety it will have gelatin)
Starburst
Gummy Bears
Gummy Peach Rings
Gummy Lifesavers
ok...really anything with "gummy" in the name

Here are a few things with lard (that's right...straight up lard) in them that people don't think to check

Refried Beans (always ask when ordering mexican food. If they say their beans are "traditional" or "authentic" it means they are cooked in lard. Spanish rice is also commonly cooked in chicken broth so always ask about that too)
Potato Chips/Fried Snacks (this is a weird one, but there are several brands of potato chips that have lard in them)
Some desert creams/whips

hope that all helped a bit.

To add to Plasticletters' list of weird/unexpected things that contain gelatin:

--sour cream (some do, some don't)
--yogurt (some Dannon and most Yoplait contain gelatin)
--cheesecake (this is hit-or-miss...if it isn't baked, it probably contains gelatin, if it's baked and contains sour cream, the sour cream might contain gelatin)
--Planter's sunflower seeds (I have no idea why)
--smoothies (goes back to the yogurt - the new ones at McDonald's use yogurt that contains gelatin)
--mousse
--whipped cream (sometimes restaurants add gelatin as a stabilizer)

Also, anything that lists cochineal or carmine as an ingredient (it's a red coloring that's used in stuff like juice, yogurt, etc.) might be an issue depending on where you draw the line. The color comes from ground beetle shells.

And most fast food potato products (french fries, hash browns, etc.) are coated with beef flavoring - in additional to possible cross-contamination with nonvegetarian food items.

It's really all about reading labels and knowing what to watch out for.

Thanks for those lists. I knew about marshmallows, but not the rest. It's amazing how much stuff they put in food that makes it not all right to eat. And I'm glad to know I can eat kosher gelatin, which should include a few more things in my diet.

DHS vegan update:

Starring Rolls got rid of the veggie sandwich because the tortilla would get too soggy. The now have veggie sushi that is pre-made and you get chips and dessert on the meal plan. I didn't get this, but next week I'm going to see if I can get the candy apple for a dessert.

They don't take the snack credit at the villains in vogue candy shop.

I got to Backlot express today and it was closed because the gas stoves weren't working. When I talked to the girl who was telling everyone this and told her I didn't know where else to eat. She took me inside to talk to a manager and he told me they sell the exact same sandwich at Studio catering. Do we went over there and the sandwhich is now made with an asiago cheese bread. They were able to switch to a wheat ciabiata bread they have. They also got rid of the blackbean salad
They said they don't have a dedicated fryer for the fries. They offered me carrots or apple slices instead
The also have the gluten free enjoy life cookies.

For dinner we went to Backlot express. The also changed the bread and no blackbean salad. They have a dedicated allergy fryer. They also have the gluten free allergy free enjoy life chocolate chip cookies.

Oh and every counter service at Disney was super helpful and nice, except for The Mara at AKL. Not that I didn't get helped in the end, bit the people in the back were not the nicest. The girl at the cashier was the one who helped me and she was calling the chef via the wallow talkie, and the chef was very put put with the questions I had and after saying they could make something for me, I told the cashier I had a specific question about the food, the chef yelled over the walkie - Who is asking this, I thought she was talking about me specifically and then the cashier told her who she was and then she got a little nicer. The one guy behind the counter who was mire knowledgable, but still acted put out when I wanted to know what was in the couscous salad. In the end it allworked out though.

Also I'll post more about Boma. The chef I got have me wrong info and lied to me about something, and seemed so put out by my questions.

For vegans visiting Universal Studios, I recommend eating at Moe's at CityWalk. They have several vegetarian items on the menu that can be easily veganized. They also have separate serving utensils and grill for vegetables.

If you are looking for a sitdown meal, venture to the hotels: La Trattoria del Porto at the Portofino and the Islands Dining Room at the Royal Pacific serve vegan penne bolognese (it's cheaper at the Royal Pacific). There are also two seemingly vegan salads on the Trattoria menu--avacado citrus and a chopped salad--and a vegan chili appetizer option at Islands. The poolside restaurant at Royal Pacific (Bula's) has a nice salad with tofu. Their veggie burger is not vegan. Emeril's Tchoup Chop most recent menu explicitedly states that the tofu dish is vegan.

Thanks for this information - I'll be traveling there in December with my sister who is a Vegan :goodvibes

Thanks for this information - I'll be traveling there in December with my sister who is a Vegan :goodvibes

When in December will you be heading down? I'll be at Harry Potter for a day and Disney World for six days in December too. I'll be there the 12 through the 17.

Tangeirine Cafe in Morocco at EPCOT has always been a good counter service choice (Hummus, Falafel, etc), but people have recently been having problems there. The bread is not vegan. When I was there they offered an alternative to it, but others have not been presented with this solution, and yet even more people have been told the falafel is not vegan. At any rate, it's worth checking out and asking.

Pizza Planet in Hollywood Studios allegedly has vegan pizza. No confirmation on this yet, but check that out for counter service. Backlot Express in the studios also has a really good veggie sandwich you can make vegan.

The veggie burgers most place are good (and vegan). I especially like Cosmic Rays in MK, Liberty Tavern in EPCOT and Restaurantosaurus in AK for their fixins bars (lots of mushrooms, onions and pickles!) but Everything Pop at your resort also has a veggie burger.

El Pirata Y Perico in MK is a GREAT place for a CS meal. You can get black bean tacos there that are delicious and they have a salsa bar to fix them up with.

You already mentioned Sunshine Seasons, but they have a LOT of great vegan options.

good luck! Read through some of the reviews/links on the first post of this thread. I think they could be of some help to you

that's crazy how can falafel not be vegan...what the pete is it then?:rotfl:

ohhh Mexican food is my favorite I never thought about that.
hmmm vegan pizza wonder if that is any good I'll check it out and report back

Thanks for all your tips!

Universal Studios Help!

Hey guys. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a dilemma I'm having. I might be going to Universal Studios for a couple of days this December and my beloved boyfriend is a vegetarian/trying to become vegan. I'm trying to get ahold of menus for US but they are all super outdated. So far the only for sure veggie friendly place I have on my list is Moe's at Citywalk.

Any of y'all have some suggestions for me? They seem a lot less accommodating than Disney. Thanks!

I ate at Pastamore and it was ok. You can create your own pasta and make it with whatever you want. Also ate salted pretzels which was yummy. There is a Panda Express which may have tofu but that is pretty rare. there are salads at most quick places. popcorn and fruit cups are all over too. Good Luck!

I It's like some sort of revolution, haha.

woohoo veggie revolution
All I pictured when I read this was people in amour with asparagus spears and sharpened carrot and celery sticks. LOL :lmao: I think I need to get come sleep.

When in December will you be heading down? I'll be at Harry Potter for a day and Disney World for six days in December too. I'll be there the 12 through the 17.

Hi - we will be down there the week before - 12/3 - 12/9. We will be spending 2 days in US and the rest in WDW. Enjoy your trip :goodvibes

that's crazy how can falafel not be vegan...what the pete is it then?:rotfl:

ohhh Mexican food is my favorite I never thought about that.
hmmm vegan pizza wonder if that is any good I'll check it out and report back

Thanks for all your tips!

I had the vegan pizza at pizzafari on Thursday, and was really impressed. It was awesome and they even had life is good vegan cookies. I had an awesome meal there
It even came with a plain salad, although I'm going to get chips this week when I go v

Another change. This time at MK.

AT El Pirata y el Perico, they no longer offer tacos. The do offer a vegetarian burrito, but I wasn't sure of the tortilla ingredients (anyone know of which ones I need to look for besides l-lysine? It didnt have l-lysine, but had other dough conditioners. It also had a several words with calcium in the word.

I also looked at the ingredients for the black beans and rice, but the manager who helped me said they the rice wasn't vegan, something about dairy on the cilantro. He offered to make me vegan nachos, so I decided on that. Tortilla chips, tons of black beans, and a generous helping of blackbean corn salsa (which he promised was vegan).
I also added lettuce, tomatoes and salsa from the toppings bar. It was supper tasty and they had both divvies and good life ciookies. I think o actually prefer the good life ones, they have a nice molasses flavor, although a slightly grainy texture, but it's not bad at all. The divvies had more actual cookies and both are soft. I have yet to find a counter service at the parks who didn't carry attest the good life ones.

I just sent Chef TJ an email to find out where he went and what his schedule is. If/when I hear back from him (keep your fingers crossed!) I'll let you know what he says.

Oh man, how funny that we have heard 3 different places. Wherewver he ended up I can only imagine it will benefit that restaurant and help us have oneida awesome place to eat.

If I end up at Grand Floridian this week I'll see if I can find out.

Ehartman4, I'm excited you posted your blog. I love reading food blogs, especially vegan ones.

I have one also, but I haven't had time to post anything since my daughters graduation last month because we haven't been home and my Internet went down for a while at home.
The woman I talked to at the podium said she thought it was Citricos, but she definitely said she wasn't sure.

I'm so excited that there are so many vegetarians and vegans participating in this thread.

We're not vegetarian or vegan, but my DS has food allergies, and chef TJ is the BEST!!! Anyone have updates on where he is and his schedule?? I started a thread on the DISabilities board, so maybe someone there will know. I also emailed Brenda Bennett at special diets about it. I'd really, really like to be able to eat at his restaurant when we return to the World in December! --Katie

If you like vegan food blogs, you might want to follow my daughter's - just search on "vegan cookbook critic" and you'll find it. She does recipe-testing for cookbook authors, reviews cookbooks and enters cooking contests, all with tons of photos and descriptions. (If you go back a few months in the archives, she also has detailed descriptions of our meals from our last Disney trip, too!)

Teresa

Another change. This time at MK.

AT El Pirata y el Perico, they no longer offer tortillas. The do offer a vegetarian burrito, but I wasn't sure of the tortilla ingredients (anyone know of which ones I need to look for besides l-lysine? It didnt have l-lysine, but had other dough conditioners. It also had a several words with calcium in the word.

I also looked at the ingredients for the black beans and rice, but the manager who helped me said they the rice wasn't vegan, something about dairy on the cilantro. He offered to make me vegan nachos, so I decided on that. Tortilla chips, tons of black beans, and a generous helping of blackbean corn salsa (which he promised was vegan).
I also added lettuce, tomatoes and salsa from the toppings bar. It was supper tasty and they had both divvies and good life ciookies. I think o actually prefer the good life ones, they have a nice molasses flavor, although a slightly grainy texture, but it's not bad at all. The divvies had more actual cookies and both are soft. I have yet to find a counter service at the parks who didn't carry attest the good life ones.
Those nachos sound awesome!

If you like vegan food blogs, you might want to follow my daughter's - just search on "vegan cookbook critic" and you'll find it. She does recipe-testing for cookbook authors, reviews cookbooks and enters cooking contests, all with tons of photos and descriptions. (If you go back a few months in the archives, she also has detailed descriptions of our meals from our last Disney trip, too!)

Teresa
I like the princess parfaits she did. I once played around with the idea of doing a seven-course dinner around the princesses, but never did.

This thread is great - thank you! :thumbsup2 I haven't had time to read through all of it yet, so forgive me if I've missed this. And thanks all for the great recent vegan and vegetarian dining reviews we've had here lately! :goodvibes

I'm wondering if there is a place or if we can create a place (either in this thread or in a new thread) where we post photos of vegan and vegetarian meals at the signature restaurants. We're trying to decide between a few signature restaurants for our upcoming trip, and it would be nice to browse through one place to see what people have gotten in the past.

If a thread/ space like this already exists, it would be great if someone could direct me to it. :goodvibes If not, can we post pictures/ descriptions here? Or let me know if you'd like me to create a separate thread. Thanks! :hug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter