Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Plasticletters, May 24, 2010.

1. hpfan100

hpfan100 DIS Veteran

Hi all

Read through the thread and liked the tips. I'm working on my first WDW trip and this helps me see what is out there to munch on. I'm newbie to the veggie world but I'm liking it so far.

I was ay potter land in June and it was fun!!!! Food sucks though so bring snacks. :laughing: I drank that butterbeer and loved it! Not sure why it's called butterbeer but it doesn't have a butter taste. The base is a pretty decadent cream soda that tastes yummy. The topping is sorta like a whipped air/ cool whip kinda thing. It's super thick and would be very easy to scoop off if worried about drinking it. Also I had no troubles asking for special requests in US so ask for no top and see what they say.
    Other munchies I tried:
    Hog's Head Ale YUMMMY!!! maybe better than butterbeer
    Honeyduke's chocolate nasty and overpriced
    Chocolate Frogs nasty and overpriced but I wanted the card
    Coconut Ice nasty too
    fruit cup ok
    pretzels ok
    cafe 4 pizza not too bad

Good luck with butterbeer quest! :wizard:

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Vegcentric

Vegcentric Mouseketeer

I'm another vegan who thinks grilled meat smells good. People who know I'm vegan thinks this is really odd, but it's a smell that I grew up with and associated with good memories of cooking and eating outdoors with my family and friends.

4. Plasticletters

Plasticletters Ride a Bike

Thank you for sharing all of that! It's always great to hear about people's journey into becoming vegan. I like to hear differing perspectives and I'm sure most of the people on this thread do as well :)

I'm also glad this thread has been helpful to you and given you a means of communication with fellow vegans. What a positive post!

5. Plasticletters

Definitely be sure to ask about specific places you'd like to go eat in WDW. Someone on here should be able to help (or at least offer a veggie friendly/unfriendly experience) with most of the restaurants!

6. MelanieC

MelanieC <font color=blue>BL II - Blue Team<br><font color=

Well everyone - I leave in a few hours! I'll either start a live report via my I-phone if the pictures turn out well on the i-phone if not I'll wait till I get back when I can upload the pictures from my computer/camera.

7. Ericadawn

Ericadawn Earning My Ears

EPCOT!

It's been mentioned before but Epcot is awesome for vegetarians/vegans especially those trying to eat healthy. I recommend the cafeteria at the Land. It even has vegan potato salad! I'd never seen vegan potato salad before because I gave up eggs but the only non-egg potato salad option I could find was German which usually has bacon.

The Epcot potato salad is German but without bacon. They also have soy milk AND yogurt. My mom's joked that if we lived closer, we'd do our grocery shopping there because it's the only dependable source of silk yogurt we can find. Our Publix used to carry it, but not anymore.

We also appreciate that every park has fruit available. In DHS, it's close to the turkey leg seller on the same street as the Beauty and Beast show and ToT. At Epcot, you have to go to the Land. At Animal Kingdom, it's sold in Africa across from the entrance to the safari. However, at Magic Kingdom, EVERY land has at least one fruit vendor. It's awesome. It's less than two dollars for an apple or banana which makes them some of the cheapest options at the park. We usually load up on fruits or sides at the park and then, have a sandwiches and stuff waiting on ice at the car for when we're done.

8. Planbee

Planbee Earning My Ears

For vegans visiting Universal Studios, I recommend eating at Moe's at CityWalk. They have several vegetarian items on the menu that can be easily veganized. They also have separate serving utensils and grill for vegetables.

If you are looking for a sitdown meal, venture to the hotels: La Trattoria del Porto at the Portofino and the Islands Dining Room at the Royal Pacific serve vegan penne bolognese (it's cheaper at the Royal Pacific). There are also two seemingly vegan salads on the Trattoria menu--avacado citrus and a chopped salad--and a vegan chili appetizer option at Islands. The poolside restaurant at Royal Pacific (Bula's) has a nice salad with tofu. Their veggie burger is not vegan. Emeril's Tchoup Chop most recent menu explicitedly states that the tofu dish is vegan.

9. Vegcentric

Vegcentric Mouseketeer

Wow, I had no idea about the potato salad! Very useful information here, thank you. Also, I just heard that Disney carries the Silk Yogurt. I've never even seen it in the stores here, so I guess I'll have to wait until October to try it. I know what you mean about the fruit...it makes for such a great snack while in the parks.

10. mstew99

mstew99 the force is strong in that one

Hello, just a question I was hoping someone could help me out with. We're going down in Sept. for 10 days of deluxe dining, so we'll be eating 95% of meals at TS. Our ADRs have been set for months, and someone in our party has recently became vegetarian. I know from looking at menus there appears to be one or two vegetarian options at most of our ADRs, but a couple i'm not so sure about (Spirit of Aloha in particular). He insists we do not change any reservations, but he is paying the same amount we are and I would hate for him to only be able to get a side salad or dish at some places. The CM I talked to on the phone said just let them know at the podium when checking in, and not to worry about anything else. Since I know you always get different answers from different CMs, I just wanted to see if this is true? Do we need to call each restaurant to make note of this, and if so what time frame do we need to give them?

I've read through the thread and it seems Disney is very accomodating, but I just wanted to check so I can do everything possible to ensure his trip is just as magical as everyone elses. Thanks in advance for any help!

11. everythingALICE

everythingALICE I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I

While I've never been to the Spirit of Aloha, I have been to HDDR and they do offer a choice of vegetarian entree (which I was actually quite pleased with). Chances are they will likely be able to accomodate you without notice, but I usually call the restaurant directly anywhere from 2-4 days beforehand so that it's already taken care of. I'm sure that Spirit of Aloha must also have an alternative meal available so that he has more to eat than just side dishes. I do not do this for every meal, just those that have a set menu that does not appear "veggie-friendly."

12. Plasticletters

Call the dining line and make sure a cast member indicates "vegetarian" on all of your ADRs. I don't anticipate you'll have much of a problem if your friend is just vegetarian and not vegan (the person you're traveling with still eats eggs and milk products correct?) as EVERY restaurant carries something meat-free or can easily accomodate a meat-free diet, but noting this on your ADR is the best way to make sure your servers/chef know that you have someone with a dietary restriction eating with you. For more help read the very first post in this thread.

13. punkin712

punkin712 DIS Veteran

Another Disney vegetarian here!

Has anyone ever been to the Trail's End? I checked their menu and it sounds like there is a soup/salad bar only option. I've never been there, but I'm always looking for new places to try. Can anyone tell me about the selection, pricing, etc?

How about HDDR? It's pretty pricey, but might be fun. And if the vegetarian selection is a bust, I can always drown my sorrows in sangria, right? ;)

Thanks in advance!

14. Vegcentric

Vegcentric Mouseketeer

Well, I haven't been to HDDR but from what other vegetarians have said, the vegetarian entree didn't appeal to them. Of course you're going to have different opinions on just about everything, especially on a forum such as this, but I did want to point out that it isn't all you can eat when you get the veggie entree. You also need to call ahead, I believe.

I haven't been to Trail's End either, but I would encourage you to call them or get in touch through the dietary request hotline and ask them. I've had quite a few questions myself, and every time I asked someone from the hotline asked a chef at that restaurant what they could offer me. Also, sometimes even when they aren't on the menu, some restaurants will be able to get you a veggie burger. I've noticed this a few times at some places, where the waitress offered to get a veggie burger if we didn't like what was already offered. It's worth looking into.

15. everythingALICE

everythingALICE I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I

If you call HDDR, they give you an option of pasta w/ marinara sauce, roasted/grilled veggies (I can't remember which), and I think steamed veggies. At least this is what they have offered the past couple of years.

It certainly doesn't sound very exciting, but I got the roasted veggies and really enjoyed it. The portion is plentiful (I doubt you would need more, especially if you can also eat the salad/cornbread), and the vegetables were seasoned so well. It was surprisingly one of my favorite meals. It came with baked potato, and if anyone in your party is having the regular menu they have mashed potato as well.

I could have gone on a night when it was made particularly well, but I enjoyed it very much and wouldn't hesitate going back.

16. MelanieC

For HDDR, I've seen several dining reviews with pictures of the grilled veggie options. I think most say it's tasty, but I think I remember someone not being impressed. I would imagine it's like any other resaurant, where it's depends on the chef cooking it. Did they over cook, undercook, too much salt, not enough, etc. It will depend on personal likes too. Best bet is to call ahead for both trails end and HDDR. it's been years since I ate at Trails end. The definitely have a salad bar and I think they may have Mac and cheese. I'd call ahead and find out what the can do for you. Often the buffets will cook an extra entree made to your dietary specifications.

Once get to WDW today, I'm planning to talk to concierge to help me call and talk to some of the chefs to see what the can do for me. If not, I'm willing to wing it.

I especially want to have help on Biergarten. I'd like to see if the could make something to supplement the vegan items I can eat.

I know that I can eat well at Bima, but I may call just to let them know I'm coming.

Overall I'm not super worried. Tonight I plan on talking to Pop's chef to let him know we are staying there for two weeks. I'm hoping to get to try the vegan Mickey waffles one morning.

17. casjen

casjen DIS Veteran

I personally love the gf/df mickey waffles/pancakes. So yummy, expecially b/c they are shaped like mickey! They do have a buckwheat flavor but it didn't bother me. I was wishing for real maple syrup while I devoured them.

I had great experiences at both the ASmu and POFQ food courts. The chefs were wonderful.

Just steer clear of the yak and yeti quick service. I don't remember the real name. The chef there was incredibly rude and unaccomodating. Very vegan unfriendly.

18. N.eve

N.eve Earning My Ears

Wow, I've been reading through everyone's posts and they are so helpful! I just have one question, is there a list somewhere of vegan snacks/foods that count as a 'snack' on the dining plan?

Also (okay I lied, two questions) can anyone recommend an Epcot restaurant that is vegan friendly? I want to book a Candlelight Processional package once they come out, but I'm not sure what restaurant to try at. Thanks!

19. MelanieC

Hey everyone,

News alert: chef TJ is no longer at 'Ohana. I was going to eat there tonight. The lady at the podium say's he is at Grand Floridian. She thought maybe Citricos, bit she wasn't sure.

I had quite the adventure and went to Bomas and missed seating time by about 6-10 minutes. I went to Jiko instead and had the
    Most incredible meal. I'm so stuffed!!

By the way, I'm doing a live food report on the review board.

20. Vegcentric

Vegcentric Mouseketeer

Thanks for the heads up!
    That's surprising about Chef TJ, but I am secretly hoping he really was moved to Citricos...I have an ADR there :D

21. Eeyore's Pal

Eeyore's Pal Trading pins since before there were rubber backs

I'm wondering if this is a promotion for all the great guest feedback he receives. Wouldn't that be great! :cheer2: