• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vegan/Vegetarian Restaurant/Dining Help Thread

Hey everyone,

News alert: chef TJ is no longer at 'Ohana. I was going to eat there tonight. The lady at the podium say's he is at Grand Floridian. She thought maybe Citricos, bit she wasn't sure.

AGH! NO! Well, now I have to eat there I guess :)

AGH! NO! Well, now I have to eat there I guess :)

Sure, why not? :) Mixing it up a bit could be a good thing! At least I hope so. I have an ADR for Citrico's and I am really, really hoping that's where he was moved, haha. At least you'd get some different scenery and maybe some different food, as well. :goodvibes

Hi everyone,

I'll be in the world over labor day weekend. I am staying at the POp resort. I am on a pretty tight budget and need info on cheap veggies in the world. I plan on bringing some snacks with me to help with costs but will need to eat at least 2 meals a day in park or at POP. Any thoughts? CS seems like the best deal for me. I'm a vegetarian but don't like eggs or milk.

Things I plan on packing with me: bunch of bananas, couple of Larabars, some crackers, mixed nuts, dried apricots or cranberries, apples or pears, and maybe some candy.

Places I want to eat at: POP food court (waffles and flatbread), Wolfgang Puck Express (pasta dish), Columbia Harbor House (sandwich), Sunshine Seasons (noodle dish)

not sure where else to eat...any good pizza choices out there? anything particularly yummy at world showcase

Hi everyone,

I'll be in the world over labor day weekend. I am staying at the POp resort. I am on a pretty tight budget and need info on cheap veggies in the world. I plan on bringing some snacks with me to help with costs but will need to eat at least 2 meals a day in park or at POP. Any thoughts? CS seems like the best deal for me. I'm a vegetarian but don't like eggs or milk.

Things I plan on packing with me: bunch of bananas, couple of Larabars, some crackers, mixed nuts, dried apricots or cranberries, apples or pears, and maybe some candy.

Places I want to eat at: POP food court (waffles and flatbread), Wolfgang Puck Express (pasta dish), Columbia Harbor House (sandwich), Sunshine Seasons (noodle dish)

not sure where else to eat...any good pizza choices out there? anything particularly yummy at world showcase

Tangeirine Cafe in Morocco at EPCOT has always been a good counter service choice (Hummus, Falafel, etc), but people have recently been having problems there. The bread is not vegan. When I was there they offered an alternative to it, but others have not been presented with this solution, and yet even more people have been told the falafel is not vegan. At any rate, it's worth checking out and asking.

Pizza Planet in Hollywood Studios allegedly has vegan pizza. No confirmation on this yet, but check that out for counter service. Backlot Express in the studios also has a really good veggie sandwich you can make vegan.

The veggie burgers most place are good (and vegan). I especially like Cosmic Rays in MK, Liberty Tavern in EPCOT and Restaurantosaurus in AK for their fixins bars (lots of mushrooms, onions and pickles!) but Everything Pop at your resort also has a veggie burger.

El Pirata Y Perico in MK is a GREAT place for a CS meal. You can get black bean tacos there that are delicious and they have a salsa bar to fix them up with.

You already mentioned Sunshine Seasons, but they have a LOT of great vegan options.

good luck! Read through some of the reviews/links on the first post of this thread. I think they could be of some help to you

Does anybody know if T-Rex at Downtown Disney offers any vegan options? Last I looked at the menu, it was slim pickin's over there.

:sad2: OMG!!!! Are you kidding????? No Chef TJ at Ohana?????? I Made 2 ADR's there just for him. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed. :confused3

I was also heartbroken to learn he'd left Ohana and emailed the restaurant to ask where he'd gone. They said he is at 1900 Park Fare now.

He made me the MOST AMAZING 7-course vegan meal when we went to Ohana
last year on my birthday. It was one of the best meals I've ever had. People at other tables kept asking about what was in the dishes as he served them!

Teresa

:sad2: OMG!!!! Are you kidding????? No Chef TJ at Ohana?????? I Made 2 ADR's there just for him. I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo disappointed. :confused3

May I share in the despair with some screams from the very pit of my soul?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
:scared1:

My mom and I were so looking forward to his awesome concoctions. Well at least we got to enjoy them on our last trip.:sad1: I made my adr's with him in mind. Well 1900 Parkfare could use the help. I wonder if he will do the same awesomeness there. 1900 Parkfare is one of my favorite Character experiences and environments but the food is meh. I hope to hear some good reports. Going to have to find out when he works. wonder if it's his same schedule.

I was also heartbroken to learn he'd left Ohana and emailed the restaurant to ask where he'd gone. They said he is at 1900 Park Fare now.

He made me the MOST AMAZING 7-course vegan meal when we went to Ohana
last year on my birthday. It was one of the best meals I've ever had. People at other tables kept asking about what was in the dishes as he served them!

Teresa

Do we know when/what meals he works? Is it breakfast? Or Lunch/Dinner? Any more information would be great. I never got a chance to have him as a chef at Ohana, but I was so looking forward to it this trip in December. Now I guess I'll just have to try to track him down at 1900.

1900? Really? That surprises me. I wasn't surprised when I heard someone say they thought he moved to Citricos, because that kind of made sense to me. But 1900 Park Fair? Hopefully he spruces it up, the food over there could really use some help. That's a shame, because I have an ADR for Citrico's. Oh well.

Oh my gosh, he just can't stay in one place I guess! I feel bad for everyone who made reservations specifically for him and can't get him now that he's moved :(

I hope none of you hate me for this, but I am totally going to promote my food blog. Totally not Disney related but I thought some of you vegans could benefit! I just started it yesterday so the layout may change and all that. Any feedback is much appreciated!
(I'll delete this if any of you are offended at all. Just let me know.)

OK, i wanted to double confirm where Chef TJ went, so I called the GF and the answer was - Grand Floridian Cafe. Weird right? Not what I was expecting! The woman says she can't find his schedule but you can always ask once you get there.....there are plenty of openings for when I'll be up there so I'm pretty happy! But then again... who knows if the info I was given was correct either hahaha!

I just sent Chef TJ an email to find out where he went and what his schedule is. If/when I hear back from him (keep your fingers crossed!) I'll let you know what he says.

As someone who just recently decided to eat a mostly vegetarian - some pescetarian diet, I've found reading through this thread very helpful, thank you to everyone who's posted information.

Oh man, how funny that we have heard 3 different places. Wherewver he ended up I can only imagine it will benefit that restaurant and help us have oneida awesome place to eat.

If I end up at Grand Floridian this week I'll see if I can find out.

Ehartman4, I'm excited you posted your blog. I love reading food blogs, especially vegan ones.

I have one also, but I haven't had time to post anything since my daughters graduation last month because we haven't been home and my Internet went down for a while at home.
The woman I talked to at the podium said she thought it was Citricos, but she definitely said she wasn't sure.

I'm so excited that there are so many vegetarians and vegans participating in this thread.

I have a few questions, and maybe you all can help me answer some of them.

Are there any things I should be aware of that look vegetarian, that are not. I know I read somewhere that the vegetarian entrée at the Lotus Blossom Café in China, is in fact, not vegetarian, since it uses chicken stock.

I’ve been trying really hard to be really good, and empty my kitchen of all meat and poultry based products, only leaving the seafood, which I thought I’d need, since I thought I’d be hungry for meat, but for the most part, I really haven’t been. So I would really like to keep my Disney diet as meat-free as possible as well, and while I’m not worried about my TS meals, I know I’ll have my server to help with what I can and can’t have, and a chef to speak to if needed, but the CS meals seem trickier, especially since I’m still learning what is and what isn’t considered vegetarian, like gelatin, I had no idea that had bone marrow and stuff in it, same with some chocolates.

I plan on taking some health bars and peanut butter for breakfasts and snacks in the room, but what are good CS meals to have? I still eat dairy, and a little bit of fish, so I know I’m not truly a vegetarian, just a pescetarian, but I see myself slowly converting to a full vegetarian.

So my two big questions are;

What are some things, (like the vegetarian entrée in China) that aren’t safe?

And;

What are some of your favorite CS meals, either at the parks, resorts, or DTD? I have a long trip, and don’t mind going all over.

Universal Studios Help!

Hey guys. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a dilemma I'm having. I might be going to Universal Studios for a couple of days this December and my beloved boyfriend is a vegetarian/trying to become vegan. I'm trying to get ahold of menus for US but they are all super outdated. So far the only for sure veggie friendly place I have on my list is Moe's at Citywalk.

Any of y'all have some suggestions for me? They seem a lot less accommodating than Disney. Thanks!

Universal Studios Help!

Hey guys. I was wondering if you guys could help me out with a dilemma I'm having. I might be going to Universal Studios for a couple of days this December and my beloved boyfriend is a vegetarian/trying to become vegan. I'm trying to get ahold of menus for US but they are all super outdated. So far the only for sure veggie friendly place I have on my list is Moe's at Citywalk.

Any of y'all have some suggestions for me? They seem a lot less accommodating than Disney. Thanks!

We just got Done doing 3 days at US/IOA. I ended up eating at Moe's for lunch all 3 days, just because I felt I wouldn't have to worry about what I wad eating, and I love Mexican food.

The first day I had a vegetarian burrito. The next I had a tofu bowl and today I had an over achiever with tofu as my meat. All were minus sour cream and cheese. Very yummy, although I'm glad we are going to Disney now. O don't think I could of done another week.

There were some snacks that looked to be vegan, although I didn't ask about ingredients. The pumpkin juice at WWOHP is so good. I saw snow cones, sorbet, soy frappucinos at Starbucks, candy apples, sugared almonds and pecans.

I have a few questions, and maybe you all can help me answer some of them.

Are there any things I should be aware of that look vegetarian, that are not. I know I read somewhere that the vegetarian entrée at the Lotus Blossom Café in China, is in fact, not vegetarian, since it uses chicken stock.

I’ve been trying really hard to be really good, and empty my kitchen of all meat and poultry based products, only leaving the seafood, which I thought I’d need, since I thought I’d be hungry for meat, but for the most part, I really haven’t been. So I would really like to keep my Disney diet as meat-free as possible as well, and while I’m not worried about my TS meals, I know I’ll have my server to help with what I can and can’t have, and a chef to speak to if needed, but the CS meals seem trickier, especially since I’m still learning what is and what isn’t considered vegetarian, like gelatin, I had no idea that had bone marrow and stuff in it, same with some chocolates.

I plan on taking some health bars and peanut butter for breakfasts and snacks in the room, but what are good CS meals to have? I still eat dairy, and a little bit of fish, so I know I’m not truly a vegetarian, just a pescetarian, but I see myself slowly converting to a full vegetarian.

So my two big questions are;

What are some things, (like the vegetarian entrée in China) that aren’t safe?

And;

What are some of your favorite CS meals, either at the parks, resorts, or DTD? I have a long trip, and don’t mind going all over.

I've heard yak & yeti CS cooks everything in veggie broth. The hood thing with counter service is every one has a nook of ingredients. Just ask for a manager or chef and ask to look at the book or to have the chef talk to you.

For CS, Tangerine cafe in Epcot Morocco is great, as well as sunshine seasons in the land.

The lighthouse sandwich on MK at Columbia Harbour house is great.

There are lots of great choices.

At DTD, Earl of sandwich has two veggie sandwiches. The veggie sandwich was so good. I had it two nights in a row. See my live dining trip report right mow for pictures.

I have one also, but I haven't had time to post anything since my daughters graduation last month because we haven't been home and my Internet went down for a while at home.

Well once you start posting, let us know! I'd love to check it out!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter