Vacation Tips for Women! :)

I have really sensitive skin, does anyone have any good tips for hair removal for sensitive skin? When I shave my legs I get red irritation bumps no matter what I do. I have gotten a bikini wax before and my skin didn't react badly, but it is really expensive to wax your legs. When we go on our cruise in Jan. I don't want to have to shave my legs everyday because they WILL be completely covered in irritation bumps after the second day if I do this. Any advice?!

Also has anyone with sensitive skin tried the Veet sensitive skin hair removal cream?:confused3

Thanks!

Switch to an old-fashioned double-edged razor. Seriously. I use a Gillette SuperSpeed (from the 1950s) with Feather blades. (You'll want to start with a blade sampler pack from Amazon to see which works best for you. Other popular blades are Derby and Astra.) I use Taylor of Old Bond Street avacado shaving cream.

You can learn all about DE razors here: http://www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge

I have sensitive skin and always ended up with ingrowns or irritated skin before. Ever since I switched, I end up with baby's-butt-smooth legs. It will take 2-3 times practicing before you get the hang of using an old-fashioned razor, though. You need to use a particular angle and let the weight of the razor do the work for you.

Lots of people have commented about dresses being a bad idea while in the parks. TOTALLY DISAGREE. All I wear, all day, every day at Disney are cute little sundresses. They are light, breathable, and completely comfortable in the hot weather. The right fabric is key. Most of my dresses are Prana brand. They are perfect for hot humid weather. They don't wrinkle, you look cute and put together while keeping cool at the same time. I never have an issue getting on and off of rides. Of course one must be mindful and not flash the world, but being ladylike isn't something I tend to forget whether I'm wearing shorts or a dress! My mama drilled it into me "KNEES TOGETHER!" :littleangel:

Would it be too cold in early December to wear dresses?
For those of you who prefer to wear dresses in the parks, what shoes do you wear with them? Sneakers would look so odd...

When I wear dresses and skirts into the parks (often!) I either wear sandals or sketchers Mary Jane type shoes. Comfy and the don't look as funny as tennis shoes would :)

For those of you who prefer to wear dresses in the parks, what shoes do you wear with them? Sneakers would look so odd...

I have found both B.O.C. (by Born) an Dr. Scholl's to be super comfy and cute with dresses or capris. Seriously, Dr. Scholl's Joliet style are cute and comfortable. (I have had back pain for years, and these are the only "cute" shoes I have found that not only don't cause pain, but reduce it.)

Teva Mush or Merrill flip flops even in Dec. because sometimes it's in the upper 70s through the 80s. At that time of year, I pack yoga pants or jeans and a couple of sweaters because it can be very warm one day and freezing the next.
I'm planning to wear nothing but maxi dresses for our April trip. They're so much cooler than jeans/capris, or even shorts.

I always use Dr Scholl's Peppermint leg cream. I go back to the room for a midday break, wash and apply and do the same at night. It feels sooooooooooo good. It's like a massage for your legs. I've never had tired legs since I started using.

Is that something that can be purchased at Walmart? I've never heard of it before but it sounds wonderful.

I have found both B.O.C. (by Born) an Dr. Scholl's to be super comfy and cute with dresses or capris. Seriously, Dr. Scholl's Joliet style are cute and comfortable. (I have had back pain for years, and these are the only "cute" shoes I have found that not only don't cause pain, but reduce it.)

I'm going to head to some of our sportswear stores one of these days in a summer dress so I can see how they look together. Where would I find Dr. Scholl's shoes? I like the look of Joliet, but I can't buy shoes online. I never know how they will fit me.

BTW, I don't know if anyone's brought up park bags in this thread, but I know baggallini is popular. I was at our local TJ Maxx today and they had a bunch from them, so if anyone's looking for one and has a TJ Maxx, it might be worth a peek.

Is that something that can be purchased at Walmart? I've never heard of it before but it sounds wonderful.

I got a tube of the Dr Scholl's peppermint foot/leg cream in the travel section of Target. It's really great at night, too. I used it on my feet and all the way up my tired calves.

Disneymoon2013 said:
I'm going to head to some of our sportswear stores one of these days in a summer dress so I can see how they look together. Where would I find Dr. Scholl's shoes? I like the look of Joliet, but I can't buy shoes online. I never know how they will fit me.

BTW, I don't know if anyone's brought up park bags in this thread, but I know baggallini is popular. I was at our local TJ Maxx today and they had a bunch from them, so if anyone's looking for one and has a TJ Maxx, it might be worth a peek.

I found my first pair at DSW. Zappos may have them and I think they still have free returns, so it may be worth trying online.

Haven't finished this whole thread but noticed there is a lot of talk about skipping your period while on vacation by using the next months pills and skipping the placebo. I have done this many times for different things: prom, birthday parties, anything I reaaally didn't want AF to inconvenience me. Anyways, my grandparents take me to florida every year (I'm 20) and the last 2 years I have been scheduled to have my monthly visitor during my disney trip. Both years I have attempted to skip my period as I have done successfully many times (I have been on BC since I was 15). What ended up happening is that AF decided to arrive in the middle of a day at the parks BOTH years. I had to purchase tampons from the machines (boy are those tampons uncomfortable) and eventually decided to go to First Aid. (Side bar: if you ever need tampons first aid has them for free). Embarrassingly after getting back to the resort that night I had to ask my GRANDFATHER of all people to drive me to a pharmacy of some sort so I could get tampons.

This is a long post, but moral of the story: you are never safe from mother nature!!! she will strike when you least suspect it even if you believe you have successfully skipped her.

Just finished the thread finally and thought of another tip. Many people have recommended baby powder for lighter hair colours. I like to switch from blonde to brunette and when I am brunette and need a little bit of a touch up grease wise I just brush a little bit of my bronzer onto the greasy spots (wouldn't recommend this with expensive bronzer) and it works great masks the area. I find it works best if you have your hair up already and just brush it on to make the pony or bun look less "slicked back"

hburke01 said:
Just finished the thread finally and thought of another tip. Many people have recommended baby powder for lighter hair colours. I like to switch from blonde to brunette and when I am brunette and need a little bit of a touch up grease wise I just brush a little bit of my bronzer onto the greasy spots (wouldn't recommend this with expensive bronzer) and it works great masks the area. I find it works best if you have your hair up already and just brush it on to make the pony or bun look less "slicked back"

I have found that if I know in advance when I'm going on a trip, I'll run two packs together a month or so before so my due dates change and thus don't affect my trip. This obviously doesn't work for last minute trips though.

Ive had a diva cup for a few years & it had become, um, shall we say discolored? It was stained & I was at a loss how to restore it back to its nice, clear, clean look. I stumbled upon a solution thinking about the oxy cleaners we use sometimes in laundry.

So, I soaked my diva cup in a cup of plain ol' hydrogen peroxide overnight. The peroxide bubbled the stains away, and it looks pristine again.

MaryPat

IfIHadWings said:
Ive had a diva cup for a few years & it had become, um, shall we say discolored? It was stained & I was at a loss how to restore it back to its nice, clear, clean look. I stumbled upon a solution thinking about the oxy cleaners we use sometimes in laundry.

So, I soaked my diva cup in a cup of plain ol' hydrogen peroxide overnight. The peroxide bubbled the stains away, and it looks pristine again.

MaryPat

brilliant! Thanks for sharing that.

Ladies, thanks for all the great advice on this thread. I have ready enjoyed reading through all of it.

Here is my situation...I have a WDW trip coming up in May. I will have no reason to take my purse into the parks (DH can carry my key to the world card in his wallet) but I will need to take my phone so I can keep in contact with numerous people in our party. Many of my sundresses/tennis skirts have no pockets! So...what's the best way to carry my phone? I have considered a neck strap, but I think it would bug me having the phone around my neck all day. I also thought about an arm band like runners use to put their phone in. Has anyone ever used these or have a better idea?

To add my 2 cents worth... They had and I think they should still have a very cute small patent look pink ..I'll call it ,wallet on a strap at WDW. Saw it many places near the purses, phone accessories etc. It has a silver mickey head on the outside. It is big enough to hold my rather large samsung phone, cash credit cards etc. and the strap is long enough to go crossbody. It's so light you'll forget you are wearing it. Won't go without it now. Love,love,love it as they say.:thumbsup2

To add my 2 cents worth... They had and I think they should still have a very cute small patent look pink ..I'll call it ,wallet on a strap at WDW. Saw it many places near the purses, phone accessories etc. It has a silver mickey head on the outside. It is big enough to hold my rather large samsung phone, cash credit cards etc. and the strap is long enough to go crossbody. It's so light you'll forget you are wearing it. Won't go without it now. Love,love,love it as they say.:thumbsup2

Do you have a picture of it?

I haven't read the whole thread, just the first page so this was probably addressed. My biggest "girl problem" has to do with my, well... "big girls". Holy Hanna after a day in the Florida heat dragging around my DDD+ fun bags, the area under my bra is RAW. I got got plain white handkerchiefs now and I fold them over and place them under the band of my bra under my girls. No more raw skin and the handkerchiefs are so thin you can't see them at all under my t-shirts.

I don't have hair issues for the most part. My hair is long so I can just tie it up in a ponytail if it is bothering me. I do have to wash it everyday since my scalp gets so greasy, but if I stick in some Dream Waves while it is wet and scrunch, I get really cute beach waves in the humidity rather than frizz (my hair has a slight natural wave to it).

As for makeup, I don't mind going without, it isn't something I wear everyday anyway. I will sometimes dust on a powder foundation when I remember, but I can't do mascara in the heat because it seems to melt off leaving me with Ozzy Osbourne eyes.

Haven't finished this whole thread but noticed there is a lot of talk about skipping your period while on vacation by using the next months pills and skipping the placebo. I have done this many times for different things: prom, birthday parties, anything I reaaally didn't want AF to inconvenience me. Anyways, my grandparents take me to florida every year (I'm 20) and the last 2 years I have been scheduled to have my monthly visitor during my disney trip. Both years I have attempted to skip my period as I have done successfully many times (I have been on BC since I was 15). What ended up happening is that AF decided to arrive in the middle of a day at the parks BOTH years. I had to purchase tampons from the machines (boy are those tampons uncomfortable) and eventually decided to go to First Aid. (Side bar: if you ever need tampons first aid has them for free). Embarrassingly after getting back to the resort that night I had to ask my GRANDFATHER of all people to drive me to a pharmacy of some sort so I could get tampons.

This is a long post, but moral of the story: you are never safe from mother nature!!! she will strike when you least suspect it even if you believe you have successfully skipped her.

That's why, no matter where in my cycle I am, I ALWAYS pack a whole box of tampons when traveling to WDW, and I always keep 1-2 in my bag. I'd rather be prepared than surprised.

My other tips: body glide for areas of friction, water proof mascara, tons of sunscreen, and I'd wash my hair and then put it in a wet ponytail. It was clean and dry by dinner. Tinted Chapstick.

Lots of great stuff here! So glad I came across this thread. I havent finished it but I have started a good list already. Things that I can add are:

I am a Sephora girl. Its really close to me and I get alot of samples to try something before I buy the full size product. Before I leave for vacation I ask for samples of what I am using. Its enough for a week and then I can throw it away at the end of my stay. I have never had a spillage problem but my Sephora puts their little pots in individual bags so that helps too.

As for makeup I use a BB cream with a bit of HD powder. I use a cream blush that can double as an eyeshadow, a tinted lip balm and a waterproof mascara. This is as bare as I can go since I am used to a full face of makeup everyday.

I also recommend peppermint lotion. After a long day at the parks, I get a washcloth really really hot, ring it out and then rub my feet with it, then i do it again but then wrap around my feet until it gets almost cool. Then I put the peppermint lotion on my feet and cover with socks. The socks come off in the middle of the night but its something my mom taught me to lock in the moisture and keep feet super smooth. Next morning, feet feel great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter