• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Vacation off to Bad Start at Caribbean Beach

AtlantaDisneyDreamer

DIS Veteran
Got aa text at 1:30 that our room was not quite ready. Went to play mini golf and by three, still no text. Arrived at The Customs House to great confusion. We have a room. No we don't. Let me check with a manager.

Meanwhile, I get a text that my room is ready (Aruba 55) as I am standing at the counter. I say, Hey! My room is ready. They say no, that is not your room. So why did I get a text? Well, that used to be our room but now a group has taken it. I say okay but please no Barbados. They say ok. You will get a text by five. Then the lady circles Barbados 16 on the map. I say is there anything not in Barbados. Lady walks away. I've now been here for 25 minutes. Still no room. Kids are hot and thirsty.

Where is my Disney service???

Have you asked another CM if there is anything available not in Barbados? Even so, keep in mind that room location is just a request. And the size of CBR is one reason I would not stay there again without booking preferred. I wouldn't want to be stuck out in the boonies.

It sounds as if they are having to shuffle around do to a large group. There is not really anything you can do about that. And to be honest, you may not want to be around the large group anyway. Have you asked to see if you could pay for an upgrade to a preferred room in Barbados is all that is available? How old are your kids? Can you send one of them off for drinks?

The only lack of service is the confusion over your room being switched. And I really don't see that as a lack of service as much as just some confusion. Best of luck to you in getting a room that works for your family.

Ask at the front desk for a manager. Stand right at the desk until you speak to a manager. Check in is at 3, I give them 30 minutes as a grace period which is more than they give you for FP. If you are not in your room by then speak politely to a manager and inform them of the same facts you did here.

When check in at tgre
Have you asked another CM if there is anything available not in Barbados? Even so, keep in mind that room location is just a request. And the size of CBR is one reason I would not stay there again without booking preferred. I wouldn't want to be stuck out in the boonies.

It sounds as if they are having to shuffle around do to a large group. There is not really anything you can do about that. And to be honest, you may not want to be around the large group anyway. Have you asked to see if you could pay for an upgrade to a preferred room in Barbados is all that is available? How old are your kids? Can you send one of them off for drinks?

The only lack of service is the confusion over your room being switched. And I really don't see that as a lack of service as much as just some confusion. Best of luck to you in getting a room that works for your family.

When check in is at three and the room is not ready and it takes thirty minutes to find out where the room might be, that is lack of service to me. Certainly not what I am used to at Disney. I get that the rooms are not guaranteed until five, but good service would mean that rooms are ready by check in time.

Just got to our room in Martinique and it reeks of smoke.

Ask at the front desk for a manager. Stand right at the desk until you speak to a manager. Check in is at 3, I give them 30 minutes as a grace period which is more than they give you for FP. If you are not in your room by then speak politely to a manager and inform them of the same facts you did here.

Check in time does not mean everyone gets their room right then and there. At any rate it sounds as if they did have a room, but it was in a location the OP did not like. But the OP definitely should find a manager now.

We h
When check in at tgre

When check in is at three and the room is not ready and it takes thirty minutes to find out where the room might be, that is lack of service to me. Certainly not what I am used to at Disney. I get that the rooms are not guaranteed until five, but good service would mean that rooms are ready by check in time.

Just got to our room in Martinique and it reeks of smoke.

We got a smokey room last year at POR we insisted they move us not just clean it, as we could see it was the people in the connecting room smoking and the problem would be persistent. It took an hour to find us a new room, almost missed my dinner reservation and had multiple problems with the magic bands after. Good luck!

What is going on at CBR this week? There have been multiple people on FB reporting problems with check-in today. Someone even posted that they checked in today, they didn't have a room for them and they were moved to AKL at no extra charge. They might be overbooked.

What is going on at CBR this week? There have been multiple people on FB reporting problems with check-in today. Someone even posted that they checked in today, they didn't have a room for them and they were moved to AKL at no extra charge. They might be overbooked.
No such luck here! Would have loved AKL. Some group is apparently throwing everything off here.

No such luck here! Would have loved AKL. Some group is apparently throwing everything off here.

Maybe you can ask to switch resorts when you go speak with the manager? Now would be the best time since you just checked in and probably haven't unpacked yet. I'd explain you received a text giving you an acceptable room, but then you were told you couldn't have that room after all. Good luck!

PS: I couldn't stay in a room that smelled of smoke -- I'd be sneezing the whole time in the room....

We got a smokey room last year at POR we insisted they move us not just clean it, as we could see it was the people in the connecting room smoking and the problem would be persistent. It took an hour to find us a new room, almost missed my dinner reservation and had multiple problems with the magic bands after. Good luck!

Definitely don't accept the room. We got a smoking room at CSR a few years ago, they brought ionizers to get the smoke out but it never went away the whole trip and all of our stuff stunk.

There is no such thing as a smoking room, is there? That's just people smoking illegally? That is so gross. I really hope you have been moved by now.

I disagree with this. Check-in is at 3; rooms should magically be ready by that time. If check-in truly "begins" at 3, then rooms could be held until midnight, which definitely wouldn't be cool.
I completely agree with this. If you got there at 10AM and the room wasn't ready, they would tell you check-in is at 3PM. I would always expect that the room would be ready when I came back at 3PM. If not, I would definitely see a manager as others have indicated. I would certainly not stay in a room that smelled like smoke at Disney. I wouldn't care what it took for them to find me another room, they would have to do it. At these prices, they better. Hope you get something acceptable and enjoy the rest of your vacation.

I'm w/ the check in at 3 pm means my room is ready at 3 pm. (In my case 4 pm as we are DVC these days.) not that we ever get there before 6 pm (we fly cross country :) )
That first night I pay full price for the room yet w/ checking in at 3 pm I have access to the room for less than a full day.
No well managed hotel will claim that check in only 'starts' at X time and thus it's ok to delay giving you a room until much later. Glitches happen, but in a well run hotel they are very rare and when they happen the staff apologize and comp you something. Not sure why some people make excuses or give Disney a pass when they drop the ball as they clearly have in OP's case.
OP hope you reported the smoked in room to CBR, you don't want to be assessed a cleaning fee for the previous occupant's nasty habit.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter