Using points for DCL

BuzzLightyearInTampa

DIS Veteran
Has anyone used their points on DCL and would you say it was worth it?

I am investigating this whole DVC thing and have a question about using points on DCL. 2 adults and 1 child (age 6) on the 7-night Eastern Caribbean in a Category 7 Stateroom on Dec. 4, 2010 costs 223 pts per adult and 98 pts for the child (a total of 544 pts). This may sound like a stupid question, but is that the same amount it costs no matter what your home resort is?:confused3 If so, it seems if you don't stay at your home resort that often, then the paramount issue when buying points is price, especially when you would often use the points on DCL or even other WDW hotels (like the Grand Floridian or Polynesian) that are not DVC properties. And along that same line, has someone done the math regarding staying at non-DVC properties or going on DCL using points versus paying for them individually?

As to your first question, the point costs for the DCL cruise charts are the same no matter what resort you own. As to your second point, while I haven't done any sort of math on the subject, buying DVC to stay at GF, Poly, and to cruise probably isn't going to net you any savings. The reason I say that is because trading out into non-DVC resorts not only costs you $95, but it is very very points rich. It probably takes the equivalent of a week of points from a DVC resort to stay 2 nights at the GF (plus factoring in the $95 transfer fee). Now, certainly trading out into other on-property hotels or cruises occasionally won't hurt your bottom line, but buying into DVC for that sole purpose...probably no so much! :thumbsup2

With all that said, we have a June, 2011 cruise booked with points. When we booked, the cash equivalent was about $300 lost, but the last time I checked the category of room that we booked was about what we paid for points (if you consider a $10/point value).

Has anyone used their points on DCL and would you say it was worth it?

I am investigating this whole DVC thing and have a question about using points on DCL. 2 adults and 1 child (age 6) on the 7-night Eastern Caribbean in a Category 7 Stateroom on Dec. 4, 2010 costs 223 pts per adult and 98 pts for the child (a total of 544 pts). This may sound like a stupid question, but is that the same amount it costs no matter what your home resort is?:confused3 If so, it seems if you don't stay at your home resort that often, then the paramount issue when buying points is price, especially when you would often use the points on DCL or even other WDW hotels (like the Grand Floridian or Polynesian) that are not DVC properties. And along that same line, has someone done the math regarding staying at non-DVC properties or going on DCL using points versus paying for them individually?
From a cost standpoint using points for DCL is a poor value. Since you haven't yet bought, you'd be FAR better off buying the points you'd use for DVC and paying cash for DCL. You will likely pay at least a third more on average for any cruise you plan on points and you'll have more risk and less options.

Keep in mind that the points required to cruise (or stay at any of the non-DVC options) can change (and have changed) every year. In most instances, the points required have increased. There are no contractual limits to those changes. The $95 fee already mentioned can also change.

Using points for cruises has other disadvantages. For example, most changes to your cruise reservation require the payment of another $95 fee. One of the more onerous disadvantages (IMHO) is related to cancellations. If you should have to cancel the cruise reservation, the points are returned to your account in "reservation status". That means that those points cannot be used to make a reservation at a DVC resort or for a trade via RCA or the Lake Buena Vista Trading options. You can only use the points for another cruise or a stay at one of the options in the Disney Collection (which includes non-DVC WDW & DL resorts) or the Concierge Collection. Reservation points cannot be banked and expire at the end of the use year.

I agree with Dean - don't buy DVC if you plan to mostly use the points to cruise. It's less expensive to book well in advance and pay cash.

We never use points for a cruise. The best deals are cash purchases far in advance or "kids sail free" offers.

Thanks for all the great replies.:thumbsup2 Since DW and I love the GF, and I plan on taking more cruises on DCL in the future, I don't think DVC is in our immediate future. That might change in a couple/few years after I have tried out the DVC properties, as I have never stayed at one before. I have stayed at the All Stars, all of the moderates, the Contemporary (our least favorite deluxe), AKL, GF, BC and WL. Occasionally I see a good deal at OKW or SSR open to everyone, so I'm sure we'll give on of them a go at least for a couple days since we are so nearby anyway. If we fall in love with one of them, well that'd be something else.

I know my opinion is not the most heard on the DIS but we use our points for cruising at least one time per year. When you consider what a cruise offers for your points it is not an apple to apple comparision to a WDW stay. It does have the $95.00 booking cost (unless you go on the Members only cruises then that is waived) you get all of your meals included with your points. No stay at WDW completely covers all of your meals, probably the close coming is the CL at the AKV. But then again the food comparison to a cruise vs. CL does not seem to compare apples to apples.

I have home resort points that I have purchased for the sole purpose of staying at those resorts and having the 11 month booking window. Then I have more what I call my 'melting pot' of points that I use for whatever kind of vacations such as cruises, RCI trades, non home resorts etc.

When I need to add points to my 'melting pot' number I buy the best priced points and the lowest maintenance fee locations. When I want to get into a resort and know I will need the 11 month booking advantage then I buy the resort where I will be staying.

Keep in mind, I plan on using my DVC points for my retirement years as well. So I have a nice number of points (never have enough!) but thinking of my plans for the future retirement years as well. My retirement is a way off but whenever I buy points I ask myself how will I be using these points for the next 30, 40 or 50 years and then I buy accordingly. I hope this all makes sense to someone!

Hope that gives you something different to ponder...:thumbsup2

I know my opinion is not the most heard on the DIS but we use our points for cruising at least one time per year. When you consider what a cruise offers for your points it is not an apple to apple comparision to a WDW stay. It does have the $95.00 booking cost (unless you go on the Members only cruises then that is waived) you get all of your meals included with your points. No stay at WDW completely covers all of your meals, probably the close coming is the CL at the AKV. But then again the food comparison to a cruise vs. CL does not seem to compare apples to apples.....(snip)....

First of all, your points are yours to use in whatever manner you choose.

But respectfully, you have missed the point. No matter how you pay for your cruise, the experience is exactly the same. You get the same thing if you use points as you do if you pay cash.

In other words, we are not comparing a WDW resort stay with a cruise. We are talking about how to pay for the cruise.

The point of the discussion is really about how you value your points.

Most who believe using points to cruise isn't a good use of points, value the points at $10 each (or more) - the amount they can get by renting them. In almost all cases, renting the points required to cruise at $10 each will result in more money than the cash cost of the cruise. So you actually pay more for the cruise if you book with points than if you rent points and use the resulting proceeds to pay cash for the cruise.

Again, the points are yours to use in the manner you choose. Some members like the convenience of using MS to book their cruise and are not interested in renting. Others prefer to get the most they can from their points and are willing to rent (takes effort & know how). Choice is up to you.

First of all, your points are yours to use in whatever manner you choose.

But respectfully, you have missed the point. No matter how you pay for your cruise, the experience is exactly the same. You get the same thing if you use points as you do if you pay cash.

In other words, we are not comparing a WDW resort stay with a cruise. We are talking about how to pay for the cruise.

The point of the discussion is really about how you value your points.

Most who believe using points to cruise isn't a good use of points, value the points at $10 each (or more) - the amount they can get by renting them. In almost all cases, renting the points required to cruise at $10 each will result in more money than the cash cost of the cruise. So you actually pay more for the cruise if you book with points than if you rent points and use the resulting proceeds to pay cash for the cruise.

Again, the points are yours to use in the manner you choose. Some members like the convenience of using MS to book their cruise and are not interested in renting. Others prefer to get the most they can from their points and are willing to rent (takes effort & know how). Choice is up to you.

Excellent post. I'd only add that another option to renting is to do a transfer to a fellow member instead. Transfers are easy to do and result in no further responsibility for the points once they are transferred. No reservations to make for a renter, no changes in plans, etc. to worry about. Personally, I prefer transfers in and out rather than renting to someone else or renting addtional points if I need them.

The one thing I would NOT do is use my points for a cruise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter