Update on Matt's progress to University

What an amazing time he is having - and now he is famous too! Think of all those 6th formers gazing at his photo as they make their choices.

(Didn't New Hampshire also use his photo - the one with the mascot?)

What an amazing time he is having - and now he is famous too! Think of all those 6th formers gazing at his photo as they make their choices.

(Didn't New Hampshire also use his photo - the one with the mascot?)

I think they used it on social media, Matt with the NH Wildcat.

One of Matt's jobs for the Uni is outreach ambassador, going around schools, colleges & education fairs to promote the Uni (he has actually been to a school in Leeds today, going back to do 3x2hr sessions) must be weird handing out literature with your photos on it.

He tweeted tonight Lancaster, for the 2nd year running is in the top 10 Uni's in the World for Linguistics, no doubt when he comes home this weekend he will be trying to take credit for that.:rotfl2:
http://www.topuniversities.com/univ...region=+country=+faculty=+stars=false+search=

I always knew he would go far. He is such a nice guy. U must be so proud both of you. Well done Matt

When he goes to Ghana I will try remember to post a link to the Blog (he has been asked to be the official blogger for the trip)

Matt set off to Ghana yesterday morning. Had a problem at Man airport but they managed to hold the flight in Amsterdam so they got to Accra with only a short delay.
Anyone wanting to follow his trip he is blogging here. http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/lancaster-ghana-2013/
Their schedule is on the blog :goodvibes

Hope Matt has a great trip :thumbsup2

Molls got the Lancaster prospectus with Matts picture in on her deck (along with about 15 others, our poor postman :rolleyes:)and I was telling her all about him this morning she was laughing as I was telling her all about him & his experiences and she was like "mum how do you know all this" :rotfl2:

I told her I know everything ;)

Hope Matt has a great trip :thumbsup2

Molls got the Lancaster prospectus with Matts picture in on her deck (along with about 15 others, our poor postman :rolleyes:)and I was telling her all about him this morning she was laughing as I was telling her all about him & his experiences and she was like "mum how do you know all this" :rotfl2:

I told her I know everything ;)

:rotfl2:

Just shout if you want any help/info on Lancaster, Matt is enjoying it so much he is considering staying to do a Masters and then possibly PhD, only halfway thru his degree but doesn't want to leave.

Today he is visiting an orphanage amongst other places.
Yesterday he introduced himself to the recruitment and admissions team, same dept. Matt works for at Lancaster. They want him to go down to work there for a couple of months in the summer, not sure if anything will come of it or if he will even have time, this summer he has 2 trips to Florida with us, a week in Madrid to visit a friend and possibly a trip to Paris to a Language museum.
As well as the Blog he is also uploading photos to Facebook, I think they are public for anyone to see. https://www.facebook.com/mathewgillings?fref=ts

Thanks Wayne I will do :thumbsup2

It's a wonder Matt finds time to do any studying :lmao: it seems as though he's having the time of his life, you and Karen must be so proud of him :lovestruc

I have tried to look at the FB pics but it won't let me :confused3

Thanks Wayne I will do :thumbsup2

It's a wonder Matt finds time to do any studying :lmao: it seems as though he's having the time of his life, you and Karen must be so proud of him :lovestruc

I have tried to look at the FB pics but it won't let me :confused3

He works in tour guiding, outreach & admin as well as his charity work. I have no idea how he finds time to study, I keep telling him to concentrate on his studies but he enjoys being busy. In his spare time he has a new project after the Easter hol, something to do with researching the history of the Uni for its 50th year Anniversary. Just finished a project for Outreach in a school in Leeds with year 8's.
He is passionate about the Uni, really enjoys being there so wants to promote it as much as he can, his original plans were to be a Journalist but I can him staying up there and working for the Uni.

And yes we are mega proud of him.

What subject is your Daughter wanting to study?

I will email him and ask if there is any way I can share the FB pics. I am useless with FB.

Today he visited an orphanage for abused children, he wasn't sure about going but said he played football with the kids and found it really interesting, he said the kids didn't want them to leave. They then went on to the University of Ghana, more his sort of thing, tonight they are going to a Ghanaian church.

He works in tour guiding, outreach & admin as well as his charity work. I have no idea how he finds time to study, I keep telling him to concentrate on his studies but he enjoys being busy. In his spare time he has a new project after the Easter hol, something to do with researching the history of the Uni for its 50th year Anniversary. Just finished a project for Outreach in a school in Leeds with year 8's.
He is passionate about the Uni, really enjoys being there so wants to promote it as much as he can, his original plans were to be a Journalist but I can him staying up there and working for the Uni.

And yes we are mega proud of him.

What subject is your Daughter wanting to study?

I will email him and ask if there is any way I can share the FB pics. I am useless with FB.

Today he visited an orphanage for abused children, he wasn't sure about going but said he played football with the kids and found it really interesting, he said the kids didn't want them to leave. They then went on to the University of Ghana, more his sort of thing, tonight they are going to a Ghanaian church.

Oh Wayne I. Wouldn't know were to start with Fb:rotfl2:

Molls doing A Level English language, Law, Spanish & Media and wants to study Law at Uni".

Looking forward to more of Matts updates :thumbsup2

A few months since I updated this thread.

Matt had a great time in Ghana last time I posted, so much so he talked himself into a 3 week internship for this summer, he felt as though he could help out with their social media and marketing of Lancaster University Ghana.
He has been posting on the Blog, continuing from Easter. http://wp.lancs.ac.uk/lancaster-ghana-2013/

The media is also covering his latest trip, this was in the Yorkshire post today(Print & online) http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...etween-africa-s-haves-and-have-nots-1-6808732
Other publications should be covering it over the next few days.

While we were on holiday he got his latest set of Uni results which he was quite pleased with http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2014/07/10/results-day-july-2014/

We pick Matt up from the airport on Sunday morning, he has a few days to recover then we all leave for another holiday. When we get home he starts the final year of his degree. Fingers crossed his results will be as good next year.:)

Fantastic results Wayne, Matt must be really chuffed :thumbsup2

Bet your all getting really excited for your holiday, can't wait to hear all about it :cool1:

Fantastic results Wayne, Matt must be really chuffed :thumbsup2

Bet your all getting really excited for your holiday, can't wait to hear all about it :cool1:

He was really pleased with his results. He is now considering a Masters and then possibly continuing to do a PhD. Maybe 5 more years if he goes down that route. I wish I understood half of what he is learning, way beyond me:rotfl2:

Yes, can't wait for the holiday, never spent 14 days on a ship so hope we enjoy it.:goodvibes

He was really pleased with his results. He is now considering a Masters and then possibly continuing to do a PhD. Maybe 5 more years if he goes down that route. I wish I understood half of what he is learning, way beyond me:rotfl2:

Yes, can't wait for the holiday, never spent 14 days on a ship so hope we enjoy it.:goodvibes

Haha on Wayne I know exactly what you mean, I've just been reading Mollie's personal statements for her Uni applications and didn't know what half the words ment :lmao::lmao:

I'm soooo jealous of the though of 14 nights on a ship I thought I was in :angel::angel: on a 4 night cruise :thumbsup2

Haha on Wayne I know exactly what you mean, I've just been reading Mollie's personal statements for her Uni applications and didn't know what half the words ment :lmao::lmao:

I'm soooo jealous of the though of 14 nights on a ship I thought I was in :angel::angel: on a 4 night cruise :thumbsup2

He had this book delivered a few weeks ago, I looked inside and it might as well be written in Chinese, couldn't understand a thing in there http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cognitive-G...=1409261979&sr=8-2&keywords=cognitive+grammar

I am sure we will enjoy 14 nights. Longest we have done is 7 nights but could easily have stayed on longer. We have booked 3 different port excursions, something we have not done before but thought it would break up the trip and not be onboard all the time, usually in ports we just get off for an hour then back onboard so the trips will get us away for a few hours.

Another update for anyone still following this thread.

Matt had his final exam for his degree last Thursday. He is on course for a 1st but its all down to his last 4 exams, we all have our fingers crossed he did enough.

He is staying on to do a Masters Degree, managed to get a scholarship which gives him £10,000 towards his costs.
Today he has had an interview and has been chosen to be the Assistant Dean of his college, with the position we think he gets his accommodation paid for (or at least £4,000 towards it)

Last week he was chosen to be the Comment Editor for the Student Newspaper online & Print http://scan.lusu.co.uk/
He has been asked to be a student Blogger for this http://ilancasterinfo.lancs.ac.uk/
He will continue being a student ambassador
And finally hoping to be a Writing Mentor

Hopefully he will find time to study :)

Great to get an update Wayne. I have fallen somewhat behind with blog posts.

Always impressed with Matt's work ethic :)

Great to get an update Wayne. I have fallen somewhat behind with blog posts.

Always impressed with Matt's work ethic :)
Hi Reid, Unfortunately he has not had time to do his Blog recently, final year of his degree was more important. I think the last update was when we were in St Maarten last Sept. He has found Twitter updates easier to cope with https://twitter.com/mathewgillings
Wayne, you and Karen must be so very very very very Proud!!!
well done Matt!!! :)
We are Beth, I can see us needing a box of tissues at the Graduation ceremony :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter