Update on Matt's progress to University

wayneg said:
Remark results have arrived for Unit 4 Psychology:
Original mark 68 UMS Grade C = overall Grade B
Remark 85 UMS Grade A = overall Grade A

I think whoever marked originally was having a bad day, Matt knew he should have had A.

Final grades now:
Sociology: A*
English Language: A
Psychology: A
General Studies: A
EPQ: A
AQA Baccalaureate: Distinction

I think this shows how subjective marking is and unfortunately it is the nature of the beast and there's no way every paper can be make uniformly. Glad his mark was "upgraded".

Been a couple of months since I posted in this thread but thought I would update everyone on Matt's progress.
He absolutely loves being at Lancaster Uni. Next year he is supposed to be studying abroad (USA) but he is really torn, he wants to split in two, he would love to stay at Lancaster but feels he will regret not taking the chance of studying in America or another option has come up which is Toronto Uni, 21st highest rated Uni in the world. Tough choice but I think he will try get accepted abroad.
Just after he arrived at Uni he got an email from them asking if they could link their Facebook page to Matt's Blog (they do searches to see what is trendng about the Uni, Matt's blog was there) they also asked him to call in and see head of recruitment. He now has 2 jobs, Outreach Ambassador & University tourguide, both quite well paid.
Right upto date Matt has just left the University(6pm) to take part in Lancaster Jailbreak, everyone taking part have to get as far away from Lancaster as possible in 36 hours only without any money. Over the past few weeks he has been contacting many travel companies trying to get free tickets, upto today he managed to get free travel on the Northern rail network but found it more difficult to get airlines to give free flights. He was all set to get as far as poss with Northern rail then hoping to get further by other means. This afternoon he got a call from Monarch saying they could have 2 seats to Sharm. Great he thought until he realised it was outside Europe (insurance purposes) He rang them back, thanked then but had to decline, then really last minute (5pm, the competition stated at 6pm) he got an email from Monarch, 2 seats to Tenerife all booked and confirmed, then they called him to check details were correct. He is now on a bus into Lancaster to get the train to Manchester airport. If anyone sees a policeman with a convict saying Lancaster Jailbreak on his T-shirt say hello Matt & Dean. http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/jailbreak-fancy-dress-photo/
He will be blogging/Tweeting as much as possible over the weekend if anyone wants to follow his adventure, latest is a video clip of them all setting off http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2012/11/23/jailbreak-leaving-dash/

Glad that Matt is enjoying uni, thanks for updating:thumbsup2

I thought the idea of a Jailbreak was to blag it from start to finish... no planning allowed! Will follow his blog for his adventure! Xx

I thought the idea of a Jailbreak was to blag it from start to finish... no planning allowed! Will follow his blog for his adventure! Xx

Their rules were get as far away as poss without using their own money, I guess they all set their own rules for each comp.

Ah, im really glad he has managed to make contact with a real person and get past the standard thanks, but no thanks response and to get these flights, well I bet you and Karen wont be getting much sleep this weekend now!

Hope all goes well and shall keep up with the updates, best wishes Rachel :thumbsup2

Ah, im really glad he has managed to make contact with a real person and get past the standard thanks, but no thanks response and to get these flights, well I bet you and Karen wont be getting much sleep this weekend now!

Hope all goes well and shall keep up with the updates, best wishes Rachel :thumbsup2

Envelope arrived today, thank you, its much appeciated. I have had a bucket on the counter all week, customers donated over £50, I have had the business 23 years now so many have known Matt since he was born (bouncing in his baby bouncer in the shop:rotfl2:)

wayneg said:
Their rules were get as far away as poss without using their own money, I guess they all set their own rules for each comp.

Very true Wayne, each uni is different! X

Another update.
Matt and his partner in crime Dean got as far as Los Cristianos, Tenerife. Big help from Monarch airlines, Northern Rail, Crowne Plaza, Thomson Holidays plus lots of others along the way.
2 teams got as far as Tenerife, Matt and Dean raised £284, as winners they get a chance to do indoor skydiving.
Link to his blog via the winners page here http://sifelancasterjailbreak2012.weebly.com/about-jailbreak.html

Matt has had to choose where he wants to study next year, he wanted University of North Carolina but they have not allocated any places to the English Department, he has still put it as first choice but its doubtful a place will be available. 2nd choice is New Hampshire, 3rd Toronto & 4th Missouri.

He comes home for a month tomorrow, could also have his friend staying a few days, she is a long way from home (South Korea) so she might stay here rather than on campus over Xmas.

Happy Xmas everyone.

Where did that month go?
Matt was accepted at University of New Hampshire, he just needs to get good grades now.
In his own words:
http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2013/01/19/university-of-new-hampshire/

Thankfully we don't pay full course fees, being the 4th most expensive Uni in the US we couldn't afford at around $40,000 for 1 year ($38,646 for 2012-13) We will have to pay the accomodation at around $10,000, medical insurance $2,200 plus things like books etc, est around $4,500.
Lets hope he gets a job at the end of all this.:goodvibes

Fantastic:cool1:
Good for him...he must be so excited.
Expensive though but what an opportunity:thumbsup2

University of New Hamphire has a webcam I have been watching this morning. Snow is really piling up, Its just getting light, not much traffic moving on Main St. You can take control of cam and change to about 6 views
https://www.alumni.unh.edu/unh_webcam

Time is passing so fast. Only 3 months until Matt starts at the University of New Hampshire.
Yesterday he received a package from the University, it includes the forms he needs to obtain a J-1 Visa. Some fees need paying then a trip to the US Embassy in London.
After all that its down to Exam results, can't see much sleep night before they are due.

As well as planning his trip away, revising, doing coursework, Blogging...... he is enjoying writing for Newspapers, unfortunately no payments involved but so far almost every article he has written has been published, latest 2 below.

well that is like being paid - shows are so expensive!!!

well done Matt!!

They are.
He is going on Monday night to review Blood Brothers, he has to meet the Press & PR Manager, will get pre show drinks, a program and interval drinks. He then has 24 hours to write a review.
They have also asked him to review Derren Brown & Joseph & the Technicolor dreamcoat.

They are.
He is going on Monday night to review Blood Brothers, he has to meet the Press & PR Manager, will get pre show drinks, a program and interval drinks. He then has 24 hours to write a review.
They have also asked him to review Derren Brown & Joseph & the Technicolor dreamcoat.

It will be great experience as well as some more articles for his portfolio .

I have never been a great follower of blogs but I have to admit that I read Matt's whenever he tweaks an update :goodvibes

It will be great experience as well as some more articles for his portfolio .

I have never been a great follower of blogs but I have to admit that I read Matt's whenever he tweaks an update :goodvibes

I am going to need a larger house if he keeps bringing me the newspapers for every article that gets published.:rotfl:

I think a few on here read his Blog, they have seen or read about him growing up over the years so like to follow what he is up to.

Last night he went to see Blood Brothers, they have uploaded his review already. They then offered him tickets to see Sherlock on Friday night so he will be seeing that then Derren Brown on Monday.
http://www.on-magazine.co.uk/arts/yorkshire-theatre/blood-brothers-leeds-grand-review/
He also Blogged about his night out http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2013/05/21/blood-brothers-review-on-yorkshire-magazine/

Thought I would do a bit of an update on this thread, a lot has happened since I last posted and people have been asking how Matt is doing.

Matt was supposed to be in Hew Hampshire now. We dropped him off last August(hardest thing we have done in our lives) but things didn't turn out well, the modules out there were totally wrong for what he had been studying in Lancaster, along with really disappointing accomodation and other factors he decided the best thing was to come back to Lancaster.
Thankfully Lancaster hadn't started their term so it was easy enough to sort out.
Since returning Matt and a few others have started a charity, he was voted President. A couple of news articles about the charity here.
http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/news/local/making-memories-for-charity-co-founder-1-6422349
http://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/...-charity-for-terminally-ill-parents-1-6347930

As well as his charity work he is putting many spare hours into working for the Uni, he actually earned as much as Karen last month so helps subsidise his studies.

Next month he travels to Ghana in Africa with Uni, Lancaster are the first UK Uni to open a campus in Ghana and they chose him (and a few more)to go down and represent Lancaster. Plans are to interact with African students with debates etc, go into the Jungle for a day, have tea with the High commisioner amongst lots of other things. Matt's Blog on the subject http://mathewgillings.wordpress.com/2013/12/28/ghana-lancaster-university/

A few month back he was asked to model in a photo shoot and be in photos to be used by the Uni. Just got this pic below today, he is in the new Prospectus. I think thats about it, coming back from New Hampshire was a kick in the guts for him, something he had looked forward to doing for a long time but 6 month on he doesn't regret it for one second, he is certain he made the right choice.
No idea how he finds time to study he has so much going on but he is still getting good grades so all is good.
When he goes to Ghana I will try remember to post a link to the Blog (he has been asked to be the official blogger for the trip)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter