Two instances of blatant line cutting this week

Here's another weird line story, not at Disney, but at Universal Hollywood. My boyfriend and I were there soon after the Wizarding World opened, and were getting in line to ride the Forbidden Journey. The way it works there (if you haven't ridden it) is that you go through the gates at Hogwarts, and then the line splits in two: one line for people who have bags to put in lockers, and one line for people without. But, when we got to the room with the lockers, the line attendant was *instructing* people to split up, i.e. to have one person from each group take everyone's bags to the lockers, and for everyone else to go ahead into line. Then, he said, the locker people should just move up the line until they got back with their original group.

It was ridiculous! People were maneuvering up through the lines through the whole queue, and it felt like chaos. People were in generally good spirits, because everyone knew that people weren't "cutting," and everyone seemed to find the system equally baffling. But it was still tricky, with almost everyone either sliding ahead one side of the queue or constantly craning over their shoulders looking for their friends.

I haven't ridden Forbidden Journey lately, but I think they have given up this method of dealing with locker crowds...

I think it is also that they should make clear that line cutting is not acceptable, but so is not entering as a group. Enter together or wait until you all can. Even if you're catching up with another party, it's not OK. I know some will say "But my kid had to leave for [x important reason]..." I think that's life with kids, folks - we've all been there. Just step out of line and dream about the day when they'll be able to [go to the bathroom by themselves, not have a temper tantrum, etc.], or whatever the problem may be.

Well, folks. I heard back from Disney on this issue (they left me VM). As promised, here's what they said.

Essentially, they take cutting seriously. They'll review their policies with respect to it. However, I feel that nothing will change. So, knowing (or at least suspecting) that, here's what I've decided. If I witness blatant cutting again, I'll call out the cutter(s). But I won't get involved in a heated argument and I'll do my best not to get angry about it. If they get nasty, then I'll involve a CM. But reporting it? Seems pointless.

As I've said or indicated earlier, the actual cutting doesn't bother me that much. So I wait an additional twenty seconds. So what? The idea of someone bringing that kind of discourtesy into the park is what bothers me. Most guests are well behaved and considerate. But I can only control my own behavior. What other people choose to do -- or not do -- is beyond my control.

Anyway, hope all of your (and my) future visits are pleasant and cutting-free ;-).

My husband is 6'1 and 220. My son is 6'1 and 180 and I'm not very tiny myself. ;) Nobody gets by us in line. Ever. We can throw a pretty good block.

Ha. Yep. That's how I am. Last trip I had a group of teens try to line cut by holding hands and I just appeared to accidentally block them no matter how they tried to get around me. Short of physically shoving you, nothing they can do, and I've found the cutters usually don't go for physical confrontation.

We were in the parks last week for 4 days, and had a few annoyances with this. Rope drop heading to Peter Pan with everyone else, a mom behind us told the two girls (ages 10 and under I'd say) to go get in line for PP while she goes to get a FP for something else. The girls were behind us in line for about 15 minutes when the mom came to join them in line. Just irritated me, because we would all love to be able to have someone get in line for a ride while we collect fp's...
The other incident we had was a large group of teenage girls getting on GRR. In the Fastpass lane of all things! A girl was standing at the entrance to the FP line, not letting anyone pass her (no line ahead of her), while she was yelling over to her friends who are telling her "go, quick, save our spots". as we tried to go around her (as she's conversing with friends) she ran back around us to get in line. When we get to the stopping point to hand over FP's. She's taking her time 'finding' her fp to hand over as 8 other girls run down the lane to join her, passing us. One girl at the end said "guys, we can't just cut in front of these people", and her friends told her to just come on. She apologized to us as she passed. As we are loading the ride, they had such a large number, they had to wait and the CM took our party of 4 first to fill a raft, and one of the girls was super rude about how it wasn't fair that we got to go first when they were in line first. The CM ignored it and kept moving. I do realize they were just teens. We just used it as a learning lesson for our own children with line etiquette and rude behavior. I was also amazed at a lady at rope drop loudly telling her two young children that when the rope dropped they needed to run as fast as they could to Peter Pan, and she made sure to drill them on what to do. I looked at my kids and said loudly "please do not run, it's against the rules, please listen to the CM who just said not to run". People get crazy when it comes to lines! While I'm on the subject of annoyances... we had two people stop and block the exit of HM so they could collect pokemon as the line built behind them in a narrow area of the exit. I was next behind them and kept saying "excuse me" several times before I finally had to get quite loud to tell them they are blocking everyone. A little common courtesy and common sense goes a long ways.

We were in the parks last week for 4 days, and had a few annoyances with this. Rope drop heading to Peter Pan with everyone else, a mom behind us told the two girls (ages 10 and under I'd say) to go get in line for PP while she goes to get a FP for something else. The girls were behind us in line for about 15 minutes when the mom came to join them in line. Just irritated me, because we would all love to be able to have someone get in line for a ride while we collect fp's...
The other incident we had was a large group of teenage girls getting on GRR. In the Fastpass lane of all things! A girl was standing at the entrance to the FP line, not letting anyone pass her (no line ahead of her), while she was yelling over to her friends who are telling her "go, quick, save our spots". as we tried to go around her (as she's conversing with friends) she ran back around us to get in line. When we get to the stopping point to hand over FP's. She's taking her time 'finding' her fp to hand over as 8 other girls run down the lane to join her, passing us. One girl at the end said "guys, we can't just cut in front of these people", and her friends told her to just come on. She apologized to us as she passed. As we are loading the ride, they had such a large number, they had to wait and the CM took our party of 4 first to fill a raft, and one of the girls was super rude about how it wasn't fair that we got to go first when they were in line first. The CM ignored it and kept moving. I do realize they were just teens. We just used it as a learning lesson for our own children with line etiquette and rude behavior. I was also amazed at a lady at rope drop loudly telling her two young children that when the rope dropped they needed to run as fast as they could to Peter Pan, and she made sure to drill them on what to do. I looked at my kids and said loudly "please do not run, it's against the rules, please listen to the CM who just said not to run". People get crazy when it comes to lines! While I'm on the subject of annoyances... we had two people stop and block the exit of HM so they could collect pokemon as the line built behind them in a narrow area of the exit. I was next behind them and kept saying "excuse me" several times before I finally had to get quite loud to tell them they are blocking everyone. A little common courtesy and common sense goes a long ways.

People are crazy.

But sadly the first thing I thought when I read that post is that collecting Pokemon in DLR would be awesome.

People are crazy.

But sadly the first thing I thought when I read that post is that collecting Pokemon in DLR would be awesome.
LOL - I have to say, we let my 13 year old son do a little pokemon hunting, he said it was the best! We made him wait for break time and while waiting for parades/fireworks etc. Even he realized that blocking an exit to catch pokemon wasn't the best idea;)

I haven't ridden Forbidden Journey lately, but I think they have given up this method of dealing with locker crowds...

It was just chaos when we visited in May 2016. There was no direction at all. People were wandering around trying to find someone to ask about size limits for the lockers (e.g. if they only had a small bag, did they need to use the lockers). Others who didn't have a bag were lost because everyone was funnelled directly to the lockers. And lots of people were wandering into the store trying to find the line for the ride. The entire locker area was a mess.

My favorite Pokémon Go story so far, I was at the StubHub! Center where the LA Galaxy Soccer team play, and this pre-teen girl was hanging out right next to the Men's room entrance (and by herself). I saw the phone, and asked her politely what she was doing, and said she was collecting Pokémon Characters.

Not sure if I would want my young girl hanging around next to the Men's room door.....

I don't let blatant cutters past me. If it's a parent and a small child, I'll usually let them through. But a parent with older kids or groups of teens or adults? No way. I generally just act totally oblivious to their presence and casually change my position so they can't get around me.

I'm only 5' 4" and fairly small, so it's not like my size is intimidating anyone. However, I spent 4 years as a band parent volunteer in the stands at football games, making sure students didn't cut through the band area (dangerous to them, the band students, and the expensive instruments!) to cut through the short way to the student section. Nobody is getting by me unless I want to let them by. I can give a death glare like nobody's business.

I tend to embarrass my 6' 1" husband for standing my ground. But my kids loved that I didn't let people cut past us if I thOught they were just trying to cut.

I haven't noticed much line cutting the last 5 or 10 years. Back in the 90s I saw it all the time. I assumed that Disney is cracking down and that people are trying it far less than they used to.

Don't take this wrong but the thought I have when I read this thread is

"I refuse to let line cutters ruin my vacation. In fact, I refuse to even give it any acknowledgement or time wasted worried about it on my next trip." So I hope to not dwell on it or let it upset me. I'm gonna try and focus on being at the "Happiest Place On Earth" and not let anyone disrupt my bubble. (Although I can't really say anyone has tried to cut us. Might be that we are a large party or that DH, DS1 and DS2 are big strong men). There are all kinds of bad behavior at the parks but I'm gonna ignore it all because I can't really do anything about it, except not let it ruin my day.

Wish me luck!

I usually don't let line cutters bother me. I've watched teen girls literally push small children aside to get towards the front of a line for a show. I just kind of stared at them as the line stopped with a " yes I saw you and you are rude" look. But once - at the monorail - I actually put my arm out and got into a verbal exchange for a woman. The line was long. Those of us towards the front had not made it on the prior monorail and were waiting to get back into the parks. I'm sure others (like us) had a fastpass we were making it back for. The line went all the way down towards the escalator. This family of 7-8 starts making their way through the space along the back railing, with a lot of "excuse me". I put my arm out and was talking to my family as if it was nothing. She sends her 12 year old under my arm and then tries telling me they need to get through because their son is up there. I tell her he needs to come back because all of these other people are waiting and she is cutting in front of them. she sends another kid under my arm - I hold my ground. As the monorail finally pulls up, I move to board with my family and they move ahead of me. I see the attendant has witnessed this and he holds the two boys - and the entire family - while the entire line passes them by and boards the monorail. They were waiting there upset as we pulled off. It was actually a relief to see a CM do something about line cutting, but my heart was racing - it was so out of character for me. The rest of the trip if someone cut into a line to join their family my kids would look at me wondering if I was going to say something. I tried telling them it is better in life to let most of these little things go, but every now and then you will feel you need to stand up for yourself or other people. I will likely never do that again, though.

I don't know if it's your experience, but I've seen A LOT of line cutting at Disneyland, but pretty much never at WDW... At WDW I mostly saw a parents with a baby/toddlers joining up with the rest of the family, so I assumed a diaper suprise or such... But at Disneyland I saw adults and teenager cutting ALL the time ! :(

We just got back. The only blatant line cutting was done by two families at Early Entry Rope Drop for Radiator Springs. Both sent ahead their tween sons to run to the front of the pack. I heard one tell her son as he slowed down "Just Go! We will catch up!" Then once we got to the queue, the rest of the group (one was just Mom, one was mom with three other kids) snaked through and climbed over to meet the 11ish year old. The weird thing was- they passed like maybe 30 people? Like they probably spent 3 less minutes in line. It was kind of weird and didn't get to me at all since the "cutting" was very minor. But it was one of those "Really?" moments!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter