Trip #8; But Was It Great? A WDW MAYcation with a side of LegoLand & Celebration, FL!

Yes, I believe it's working now!

I mean, Yes!

"Yes" in my first post was supposed to be big, but of course, I screwed that up, so I had to do a correction post. :laughing: And I learned something new - you can't change the type size in an edit. ;)

Glad y'all had a nice Father's Day and picnic! We didn't see either of our kids today. :sad1: DD got back last night from a trip to Pacific Mexico and is now suffering from Montezuma's revenge. :sick: And DS had to work today, so it was just DH and I. But we BBQ'ed and my BFF/sister came over. :laughing:

"Yes" in my first post was supposed to be big, but of course, I screwed that up, so I had to do a correction post. :laughing: And I learned something new - you can't change the type size in an edit. ;)

Actually, if you go into an advanced edit, you can! It just comes up like a regular reply then and you can do anything.

Well, well, well! Whaddayaknow!

I never even noticed that "Go Advanced" thingy! (when someone uses the term "thingy", you know they can't be very computer savvy :laughing:)

Thanks for the tip, Sheree! :flower3:

LegoLand- blah. I have no interest in it after reading your review and a few others I've come across. How sad the Big Store was a let down. Hopefully your DS found everything he needed at the Lego store in Downtown Disney AND enjoyed earning his points on the card. ;) I can't believe they don't accept the Lego card and worse I can't believe how rude the lady was! She was a definite reminder that you weren't in Disney anymore!

Those apple fries did look yummy though!

Can't wait to see Celebration pics! I'll go ahead and pick out my house for when I retire and move there. :rolleyes1

Glad y'all had a nice Father's Day and picnic! We didn't see either of our kids today. :sad1: DD got back last night from a trip to Pacific Mexico and is now suffering from Montezuma's revenge. :sick: And DS had to work today, so it was just DH and I. But we BBQ'ed and my BFF/sister came over. :laughing:

Sorry you didn't get to see the kids yesterday. That's a bummer.

Sounds like you had a nice time with your BFF/sister though!! :goodvibes:lmao:

Well, well, well! Whaddayaknow!

I never even noticed that "Go Advanced" thingy! (when someone uses the term "thingy", you know they can't be very computer savvy :laughing:)

Thanks for the tip, Sheree! :flower3:

:rotfl:

I incline toward your idea.

Welcome!

LegoLand- blah. I have no interest in it after reading your review and a few others I've come across. How sad the Big Store was a let down. Hopefully your DS found everything he needed at the Lego store in Downtown Disney AND enjoyed earning his points on the card. ;) I can't believe they don't accept the Lego card and worse I can't believe how rude the lady was! She was a definite reminder that you weren't in Disney anymore!

Those apple fries did look yummy though!

Can't wait to see Celebration pics! I'll go ahead and pick out my house for when I retire and move there. :rolleyes1

DS loved Legoland, but not the shopping!! :faint: That was such a let down. But of course the Lego store in DTD didn't disappoint!

After a long and tiring day at LegoLand we were headed to Celebration, Florida! I little history for those who don't know about Celebration, here is what I posted in my PTR:

From what I understand the town came to be in about the mid 1990's. It was so popular that they had to hold a lottery and if you were lucky enough to be drawn in the lottery then you were able to purchase a home there! Lots of good info/history here ~ http://www.cs.osceola.k12.fl.us/CelebrationHistory/settlers.htm
http://www.cs.osceola.k12.fl.us/CelebrationHistory/Waltsdream.htm
http://www.cs.osceola.k12.fl.us/CelebrationHistory/DisneyBuilds.htm
http://www.cs.osceola.k12.fl.us/CelebrationHistory/ThenNow.htm

From Wikipedia ~

Celebration is a census-designated place (CDP) and a master-planned community in Osceola County, Florida, United States, located near Walt Disney World Resort and originally developed by The Walt Disney Company. As part of the Orlando–Kissimmee Metropolitan Statistical Area, Celebration's population was 7,427 at the 2010 census.[3]
Subsequent to founding Celebration, Disney followed its plans[4] to divest most of its control of the town. Several Disney business units continue to occupy the town's office buildings, and two utility companies, Smart City Telecom and Reedy Creek Energy Services, both operated from Walt Disney World, provide services to the town. The town itself remains directly connected to the Walt Disney World resorts via one of its primary streets, World Drive, which begins near the Magic Kingdom.
Downtown Celebration's post office was designed by Michael Graves, its town hall by Philip Johnson and its Celebration Health building by Robert A. M. Stern.[5] Response to Celebration has ranged from an early visitor who said it resembled the too-perfect town of The Stepford Wives,[5] to those who see Celebration as a return to small-town values with walkable and safe communities.[6]

In the early 1990s, the Disney Development Company (DDC) established the Celebration Company to spearhead its development within approximately 4,900 acres (20 km2) of land in the southern portion of the Reedy Creek Improvement District.[7] Total investment for the project is estimated at US$2.5 billion.[8]
The master plan was developed by Cooper, Robertson & Partners and Robert A. M. Stern, and the extensive landscape, parks, trails and pathways were designed by the San Francisco firm EDAW (now AECOM).[9] Celebration is planned in an early 20th-century architectural style and is not zoned for high-density residences. Celebration was named the "New Community of the Year" in 2001 by the Urban Land Institute.[10]
The first phase of residential development occurred in the summer of 1996 with Celebration Village, West Village and Lake Evalyn; this was followed by the North Village, South Village, East Village and Aquila Reserve and the final Artisan Park phases.[11] Disney CEO Michael Eisner took an especially keen interest in the development of the new town in the early days, encouraging the executives at Disney Development Company to "make history" and develop a town worthy of the Disney brand and legacy that extended to Walt Disney's vision of an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow (EPCOT). DDC executives collaborated extensively with leaders in education, health and technology in addition to planners and architects to create the vision and operating policies for the town

From the Celebration website ~

http://www.celebration.fl.us/

Live. Work. Play.
All in Celebration, Florida
Celebrating 15 Years of Community

We want to get to know you.
If you’ve visited Celebration, it’s likely that our residents have already helped you feel this way. Perhaps it was a simple smile someone shared as they passed by on the street. Maybe it was a friendly chat you had with a stranger while shopping.
There’s a reason Celebration is not a town, but a community in every positive sense of the word. While the population is diverse, the residents share a strong community spirit and a desire for a friendship with their neighbors.
Relationships develop in the many programs, activities and opportunities offered within the community. Residents get to know their neighbors while taking part in local school and sports programs; enjoying the walking trails, parks and amenities; enjoying our restaurants and shops; participating in organizations, civic and social groups; and playing an active role on the committees and Boards responsible for operating Celebration.
The community’s foundation is based on five cornerstones: Health, Education, Technology, Sense of Community and Sense of Place.
Residents love the small-town feel of the Memorial Day Flag Ceremony, July 4th parade and Veterans Day programs. The Family Camp Out, Movie Nights, Great Egg Hunt, Celebration Games, Fall Festival and Holiday Festival and Kids’ Shopping are a testimony to the importance of family here.
Celebration is a community where residents strongly believe in caring for their neighbors. This compassion even extends outside the geographical boundaries of the town. Residents have provided assistance to those affected by hurricanes and fires, donated uniforms and supplies to students in transition whose families have lost their homes, and even adopted an Army Reserve Unit, providing support for the families of service men and women.
We want to know you because we care. Be sure to visit the Celebration Welcome Center when you arrive, located at 690 Celebration Avenue in Town Center. Pick-up a detailed community map and spend some time learning about our past in the History Center. Also, be sure to enjoy the many choices of Celebration logo merchandise at this location. Celebration is both an exciting new community and one that is familiar because its sense of friendship is timeless. It’s a wonderful place to visit, and an even better place to call home.

Celebration2.jpg

Celebration3.jpg

Celebration4.jpg

Celebration5.jpg

Celebration6.jpg

Celebration7.jpg

Celebration8.jpg

Celebration9.jpg

Celebration10.jpg

Celebration11.jpg

Celebration12.jpg

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After driving about 30 minutes from LegoLand we started seeing signs like this ~

1a5b95fe.jpg

We exited off the highway and within about 1-2 minutes we were there! I was surprised how easy it was to get to.

We drove right down the main strip, Celebration Avenue. And we quickly found somewhere to park near town square. We got out and weren't exactly sure what to do. It's not like there's a lot to really 'do' there, it's more of things to 'see'. So we walked across the street and went into the Celebration Welcome Center.

72b7844c.jpg

There wasn't really a lot to see in there. It has a small gift shop, some maps, and restrooms. There was one person working there.

b0903df1.jpg

c691bd7b.jpg

We looked over the souvenirs and I ended up getting one of the cups there on the top shelf on the left in the above picture. We went up to pay and the lady working there asked where we were from and all that and what we had been doing since we got to Florida. We told her we had only been to Epcot and she said that we had gotten the “boring” park out of the way and we would like the others much better. :scared1: We didn't bother to tell her that this was far from being our first trip and Epcot was NOT boring!! We told her that we were on our way back to WDW after a day at LegoLand. She told DH & I that we looked very tired. Which made me know that how I was feeling was really showing – hot, sweaty, tired, and gross. :faint: I knew at that point that our dinner plans at Celebration Town Tavern probably weren't going to happen.

She had told us about a few streets where there were some nice houses to look at. And about the street right around the corner with all the shops and stuff. So we headed out and walked around the corner and checked it all out.

6cc0dc16.jpg

3d7e353f.jpg

Continued in next post.....

Continued.....

Different looking Post Office. (Sheree – I thought of you guys when I took this pic!)

99d083ae.jpg

8f148a7d.jpg

d92aba5b.jpg

e573aaa2.jpg

1a01b44e.jpg

214ccd17.jpg

We walked down by the water and had a seat here in these chairs.

4a453af2.jpg

24d49f4c.jpg

It was so hot out. You had to position your chairs just right to get some shade from the umbrella. IDK how DS was sitting out in the sun like that! :faint:

Next we headed left from the water.

4ae8ca23.jpg

And pretty soon we came across a water play area. And DS just couldn't resist! Guess he was hot after sitting out in the sun.

5ec6ad32.jpg

f27cb269.jpg

b961f2bb.jpg

Well now that he was completely soaked I knew between that and how gross I felt we weren't going to be going to Celebration Town Tavern for dinner. :sad:

So next we came upon an Ice Cream shop! Since we weren't going to be having dinner anytime soon I let the boys get some ice cream. I wasn't even hungry. And I never turn down ice cream! That's how nasty I felt.

Cute little place. Overpriced of course. I think I paid $9 for 2 small ice cream cones.

43d71779.jpg

b007523a.jpg

cd436472.jpg

After the kids got their cones we kept on moving. We mostly window shopped. Only actually going into a few shops.

We walked down to the right side of the water and came across the Celebration Town Tavern, where we were going to have dinner. Looks like a neat place! Maybe another time.

32f5e246.jpg

1967f5ca.jpg

223e3978.jpg

Then we made our way back toward town square.

368ae16d.jpg

8b00b4c0.jpg

0bea10ab.jpg

e7d1b8e7.jpg

After that we made our way back to the car and went on a little tour!

Continued in next post.....

Continued.....

Honestly we didn't get too far in our little car tour. We took Celebration Avenue clear to the end and turned around and headed back. I think we took 2 side streets and that's about it. We were just exhausted and just wanted to get back to the resort and get cleaned up. Looking back what we should have done was gone straight to the BC after LegoLand, got showered & changed, and then headed to Celebration for the evening. IDK why we didn't think of doing that. I think we just had it in our heads that we had the rental car and we needed to do it all at once. :confused3 Oh well. So anyway, here is our house tour ~

f222f77d.jpg

afdc3e19.jpg

7b62ff2c.jpg

11f2848d.jpg

2e4b23e1.jpg

c2fca6a8.jpg

b6a205cd.jpg

a364fabe.jpg

294213fa.jpg

48f7f0f2.jpg

090beafa.jpg

d1193c39.jpg

324e52cc.jpg

98930964.jpg

40e7826b.jpg

4ef126db.jpg

And that concludes our home tour!! We saw lots of normal looking houses, and lots a super nice looking houses. We saw several very tiny 'house available' signs in yards. No big for sale signs. So I'm not sure if they were all for sale (or rent) by the same realty that used the tiny home available signs or if those tiny signs are all they are allowed to display due to covenants/restrictions. Either way, we didn't even bother to check out any prices! :scared1:

I have a work friend who knows people who used to live in Celebration and she said that a lot of the houses have apartments above the garage, so they rent that out to help pay the mortgage!

Celebration was a very nice and interesting town. I wish we would have felt better and spent some more time there. Or that it wouldn't have been 100 degrees in April! :faint: But we are glad we went and maybe someday we will check it out again under better circumstances.

Up Next: Back to the BC and Dinner at Beaches & Cream

Thank you for this great update, Shelly! I had heard of Celebration, but I had no idea of how it came to be and what it encompassed. It's beautiful! So quaint, and clean, and picture-perfect. Kind of like Mayberry for the modern man. :laughing: Where I'm sure no crime more serious than littering ever occurs. Now I understand why you said you wanted to move there!

Those homes, wow! I'll take the 2-story white one with the porch and the American flag. I'd love to know how much that one is!

The pic of your DS in the water fountain is adorable. You really captured that perfectly! And the one of you with both boys is great, too.

It's a shame that the weather had you so drained that you couldn't fully enjoy the trip there. But at least you got to see it, and maybe you can go back for dinner on another trip.

Celebration is so pretty! Thanks for the little tour Shelly. :goodvibes Sorry you had to change your plans. Heat does that to me though as well! Yuck.

Thank you for this great update, Shelly! I had heard of Celebration, but I had no idea of how it came to be and what it encompassed. It's beautiful! So quaint, and clean, and picture-perfect. Kind of like Mayberry for the modern man. :laughing: Where I'm sure no crime more serious than littering ever occurs. Now I understand why you said you wanted to move there!

Those homes, wow! I'll take the 2-story white one with the porch and the American flag. I'd love to know how much that one is!

The pic of your DS in the water fountain is adorable. You really captured that perfectly! And the one of you with both boys is great, too.

It's a shame that the weather had you so drained that you couldn't fully enjoy the trip there. But at least you got to see it, and maybe you can go back for dinner on another trip.

Glad you enjoyed the update! :goodvibes Yes, it is a very clean and well maintained place. ::yes::

I saw a few houses I wouldn't mind having myself!!

It was SO hot that day, I was tempted to jump in that fountain with DS! :rotfl:

Celebration is so pretty! Thanks for the little tour Shelly. :goodvibes Sorry you had to change your plans. Heat does that to me though as well! Yuck.

It really is very pretty. Picture perfect! :cloud9:

I wish we would have felt better and been able to enjoy it more. Maybe another time!

I have to show DH the picture of the PO since if we had moved there that is where he would have most likely transferred to. The town itself des not look all that much different from most of the small towns here in Ct other than the palm trees. Too bad you did not get to eat dinner in Celebration.

:cloud9:

I loved this update!! Why, you ask??

Because I swear to you Celebration looks a lot like Charleston!!!!!! Those houses remind me of home. :love: The picture of you and the boys by the fountain....:love::love::love: It could have been taken in Charleston. Love the spanish moss in the trees.

I love the house with the American Flag but the one below it with the wide porch-- that has my name allllllllllll over it.:cloud9: Looks like a Plantation house I know of back home.
Just needs some rocking chairs and big ferns out front and it would be perfect! :)

I don't blame DS10 for getting wet-- I know you guys must have been miserable. It even looked hot and... still... in the pics. Like, muggy.:sick:

Sorry your dinner plans didn't work out but maybe one day you will live there and can eat at the tavern a lot to make up for your spoiled evening.:wizard:

Because I swear to you Celebration looks a lot like Charleston!!!!!! Those houses remind me of home. :love: The picture of you and the boys by the fountain....:love::love::love: It could have been taken in Charleston. Love the spanish moss in the trees.

I love the house with the American Flag but the one below it with the wide porch-- that has my name allllllllllll over it.:cloud9: Looks like a Plantation house I know of back home.
Just needs some rocking chairs and big ferns out front and it would be perfect! :)

I don't blame DS10 for getting wet-- I know you guys must have been miserable. It even looked hot and... still... in the pics. Like, muggy.:sick:

Sorry your dinner plans didn't work out but maybe one day you will live there and can eat at the tavern a lot to make up for your spoiled evening.:wizard:

I had to go back and see which house you were talking about. Crazy me, I thought it was just a different pic of the American flag house! So now I am officially changing my house to that one, too. We'll just have to fight it out I guess. Or Rock, Paper, Scissors if you prefer. :laughing:

I would love to visit Charleston one day. I have a good friend whose nephew and family moved a few years ago somewhere near Charleston. Something island maybe? :confused3 Anyway, I've seen pics from her and it is gorgeous. Looked very much like Celebration with the beautiful houses, too. I know they love the community.

Told you I'd make it over! ;)

First off, I went back and finished the LL updates. That area with all the cities is just amazing!! I loved the NY streets and the Capitol building was just unreal. Very cool!

Also the area with the gardens was right up my alley. I love pretty places like that. I would've really enoyed going there. That huge tree was unbelievable!! :eek: Looks similar to the ones I've seen in the Great Smokey Mountains where you look like an ant standing beside them. Very pretty waterfront area too... minus the threat of gators! :eek:

Celebration was just as pretty as I imagined it to be. I love the style of the homes. Very southern. I could definitely see myself living there. My wallet can't envision it, but I can! :laughing:

Love the picture of you and your boys in front of that fountain. Very nice! The setting there is gorgeous with the spanish moss and the pretty background.

Sorry you guys missed out on eating dinner there, but I know how that heat and humidity can wipe you out. And I hate feeling gross too. It's hard to settle in for dinner when you are sweaty and feel nasty. :scared:

Celebration is beautiful! It is definitely on my list of off-site places to visit!:thumbsup2

Our last day of school is tomorrow...finally! My older girls who ar:rolleyes:e in college have been out for a while, but DD10 is pretty much counting down the hours until school is out!:laughing:

I have to show DH the picture of the PO since if we had moved there that is where he would have most likely transferred to. The town itself des not look all that much different from most of the small towns here in Ct other than the palm trees. Too bad you did not get to eat dinner in Celebration.

It was a cool looking Post Office!

That's kind of how I imagined Charleston. :goodvibes Maybe one day I will get to visit there too! :thumbsup2

I'm not sure which one was my favorite house. There were so many!! I do especially like the ones with the second story balcony on the front though. :cloud9:

Yeah, I couldn't hardly tell DS that he couldn't play in the fountain when it was so stinking HOT out!! :faint:

Too bad about dinner, but yeah maybe we will live there someday and can eat there whenever we want. :snooty::rotfl:

I had to go back and see which house you were talking about. Crazy me, I thought it was just a different pic of the American flag house! So now I am officially changing my house to that one, too. We'll just have to fight it out I guess. Or Rock, Paper, Scissors if you prefer. :laughing:

I would love to visit Charleston one day. I have a good friend whose nephew and family moved a few years ago somewhere near Charleston. Something island maybe? :confused3 Anyway, I've seen pics from her and it is gorgeous. Looked very much like Celebration with the beautiful houses, too. I know they love the community.

Don't fight girls, there are plenty of houses in Celebration for all of us to retire to one day. ::yes::

:lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter