Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

We got to go backstage to the Haunted Mansion with the Marceline to Magic tour. I love knowing the secret of how the ballroom is done.

Yay! I'm all caught up! Although I "remember" that morning from your happy texts! Hope all is well! (And I'll send updates next month - decided on a quick trip with the kids before our family vacation to the beach!) :)

We rode Dumbo just after the refurb that made it double. I did not notice the water below or the fountains. And, we went FP, so bypassed the wait inside. Now I'm not worried about missing that wait, since we are all older. This year, we will skip Dumbo but DD14 wants to ride the magic carpets. :confused3

Curious to read more of the firsts you had time to cross off the bucket list. popcorn::

Whew all caught up and boy have you been busy! Love the Peter Pan queue but have yet to see it as I too only ever ride with a fp. Glad you managed a go on dumbo. Last year my youngest had a blast in the play area. Funny that you bumped into the kids on their way backstage and glad you didn't mind too much at being on the wrong side of the door :)

Last edited:

Yeah.... the Tangled Tinkle Room might be well themed but it doesn't have a moaning Myrtle!

3619989_photo.jpg

~NM

:offtopic:

Went out for dinner and a drink with my fellow chaperones L. and S. last night. As I mentioned, the 3 of us ran the Middle School parent group for 7 years and we are all moving up to the high school since our youngest kids will be freshmen. The staff of the school gave us a very generous gift certificate to a local restaurant. It was nice getting out and chatting. L. shared a story from our AK day that I didn't know about so that will make it into the report. Eventually...

;)

The Tangled bathrooms are a really well-themed. What're the odds that you'd run into your group without any kind of planning? It's a shame the Cast Member was being extra diligent and noticed your lack of a lanyard.

Your first time on Dumbo?! Wow. I'm glad you finally got the chance to ride it. What'd you think? Think you'll go on it again in the future?

The Tangled bathroom area is really pretty. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't fully appreciate the details, but it appears to be beautifully themed.

This area was not around when we went on Nate's trip, so it is not like I knew they would be stopping there. It was totally coincidental. Which is why I thought it was meant to be that I would go on the backstage part with them. NOT!

The Dumbo ride is cute, but not something I would typically go out of my way to do unless I had some little ones with me. So most likely yes, I will ride in the (distant) future, I hope.

Loving the TR, Dee! I am just amazed at what you are able to pull of on this trip with so many teens, and not to mention the amount of planning on your part!! :worship:
Y.E.S. sounds like an amazing program! I've never heard of it before!

That is a really funny story about how you "worked" while you slept. I've been there too. I have had sleep issues all my life too. So sometimes I have to take a pill and sometimes I do things...and I have had no recollection of it. LOL. Sometimes I feel like I'm more productive in that half-sleep stage though!

Love your solo morning! What a treat! I had no idea that the 7DMT had such an interactive stand-by since I've only rode it FP+. But it makes sense since it's such a popular ride. I agree on the PP...such a long wait! At least the new queue is a lot better but it is still a long wait.

Love the dumbo selfie! I have a few myself. :lmao:

Too bad they wouldn't let you go backstage at the Haunted Mansion! But I guess more solo time for you!

Thanks so much!

The Y.E.S. program is a hidden jewel at Disney. One of the big draws, other than the unique Disney experiences you can get, is a big discount on park tickets when you participate in the program. Individual families can participate in these classes, although I'm not sure if adults can signup without kids. Classes are offered in all 4 theme parks and there is a way for families to check to see what classes are offered during the time of their trips. A friend of mine did a photography class, in EPCOT, I think with her kids.

Worrying about insomnia keeps me up at night!

I like that Disney is doing so much with interactive queues to give people waiting something to do. And since 7DMT is new, they actually could add these touches while they were building the ride instead of retrofitting it.

I am fairly new to the "selfie" game since I only started taking some pictures with my phone. My old phone had a really crappy camera and I kept forgetting that I could take pictures. But in November I replaced it with a phone with a much better camera, which even has the setting where I can reverse the view window to see what I am taking a picture of.

More solo time was not a bad thing!

:goodvibes:

I did, but I think she might want to do it a little earlier in our trip :) I never really am done ch-ch-changing am I?

Sorry you were left behind on the YES HM tour, but cute selfie on Dumbo, and YAY a castle stop! We never do Dumbo, I am not sure why other than DD and her dislike of carnival/clown looking stuff Oh and DH usually pulling us to Barnstormer lol

I hope you are able to make a change that works for you! Do you guys do Rip Saw Falls at IoA?

I was so happy that morning trying some new things that it didn't bother me (much) to miss HM.

:thumbsup2

We got to go backstage to the Haunted Mansion with the Marceline to Magic tour. I love knowing the secret of how the ballroom is done.

Pretty cool being so close to the ballroom scene!

:hmghost:

Yay! I'm all caught up! Although I "remember" that morning from your happy texts! Hope all is well! (And I'll send updates next month - decided on a quick trip with the kids before our family vacation to the beach!) :)

It was nice to have you cheering me on and sharing my milestones.

:cool1:

We rode Dumbo just after the refurb that made it double. I did not notice the water below or the fountains. And, we went FP, so bypassed the wait inside. Now I'm not worried about missing that wait, since we are all older. This year, we will skip Dumbo but DD14 wants to ride the magic carpets. :confused3

Curious to read more of the firsts you had time to cross off the bucket list. popcorn::

The water is a really nice addition to the Dumbo ride.

I haven't been on the magic carpets or the dino flyers at AK. My boys did the dinos on their first trip (age 6/3) but they went with friends, not me. Or maybe it was just Nate while Ben was in the playground. How is the line for the carpets? I am assuming not too bad, but I could be wrong.

:cool2:

Whew all caught up and buy have you been busy! Love the Peter Pan queue but have yet to see it as I too only ever ride with a fp. Glad you managed a go on dumbo. Last year my youngest had a blast in the play area. Funny that our bumped into the kids on their way backstage and glad you didn't mind too much at being on the wrong side of the door :)

Welcome back!

I think for both Peter Pan and 7DMT, a wait of about 20 minutes would be perfect. Shorter and it really would be frustrating rushing through the rooms without experiencing the features and longer, well, a waste of time.

Even though I didn't get to join the class backstage it was nice to see the group. Oh, and the chaperones looked so hot! It just reinforced to me that I made the right choice that morning.

:lmao:

Yeah.... the Tangled Tinkle Room might be well themed but it doesn't have a moaning Myrtle!

3619989_photo.jpg

~NM

Best.Costume.Ever!

pixiedust:

Last edited:
Touring plan has us in a three minute line for Magic Carpets during extra magic evening hours. Silly kids! We are also going on Prince Charming Regal Carrousel with no wait between 6-7PM on two different nights. : o )

I was in such a bad state last year with a skin rash/allergy that I opted to sit while others used the Tangled restroom. Hopefully, I won't be overdosing on Benadryl this time so I can use the time for a themed tinkle.

Touring plan has us in a three minute line for Magic Carpets during extra magic evening hours. Silly kids! We are also going on Prince Charming Regal Carrousel with no wait between 6-7PM on two different nights. : o )

I was in such a bad state last year with a skin rash/allergy that I opted to sit while others used the Tangled restroom. Hopefully, I won't be overdosing on Benadryl this time so I can use the time for a themed tinkle.

That's funny!!! Good that you can schedule those rides in. Let me know how they are- I have never done either.

I just came up with a new alliterative tagline for the Tangled Tinkle Spot (apologies for the graphic language...)

A pleasant place for a pea or a pooh.

:rotfl2:

I love how you are doing a lot of "firsts for you" this trip. Isn't it neat that you can be a Disney World veteran but there are still firsts? We went through the new Peter Pan queue but it ws very late at night and we were told to walk quickly through so we didn't have time to truly appreciate all of the new stuff.

Oh no, I hate that you didn't get to go through the Haunted Mansion tour with the group. We went through the back way during our Keys to the Kingdom tour but it didn't take us close to the ballroom like your group got to do. (or at least they told you that they got to do)

:offtopic:

Went out for dinner and a drink with my fellow chaperones L. and S. last night. As I mentioned, the 3 of us ran the Middle School parent group for 7 years and we are all moving up to the high school since our youngest kids will be freshmen. The staff of the school gave us a very generous gift certificate to a local restaurant. It was nice getting out and chatting. L. shared a story from our AK day that I didn't know about so that will make it into the report. Eventually...

;)

NICE!!!!!

I hope you are able to make a change that works for you! Do you guys do Rip Saw Falls at IoA?

I was so happy that morning trying some new things that it didn't bother me (much) to miss HM.

I keep getting email invites to a convention in Orlando in September....I'd love to take my two celebrating their birthday......not a solo trip but maybe if there's a YES program....

Bree plans on hitting Rip Saw Falls too :)

What a bummer. I would've had a heart leap at almost getting in the HM behind the scenes..ugh.

I can't believe you never have been on dumbo before. I have always wanted to ride since my first visit in 74. My parents wouldn't let me. My next trip I was in my 20's and the line was sooooo long we didn't do it. The next trip also in my 20's, I was next to be seated when a thunderstorm came and they shut it down. That was before FP's and they did not give us any front of the line passes to come back. I believe I finally made it on at 29.

What a bummer. I would've had a heart leap at almost getting in the HM behind the scenes..ugh.

I can't believe you never have been on dumbo before. I have always wanted to ride since my first visit in 74. My parents wouldn't let me. My next trip I was in my 20's and the line was sooooo long we didn't do it. The next trip also in my 20's, I was next to be seated when a thunderstorm came and they shut it down. That was before FP's and they did not give us any front of the line passes to come back. I believe I finally made it on at 29.

Do the Marcelene to Magic tour and you get to experience it. I was like a little kid doing it. I smile riding HM knowing it

I couldn’t believe my timing for this chance encounter. I joined the line of students and chaperones as we lined up at the door that would take us backstage.

Everyone walked through and the Disney Y.E.S guide turned to me and said

“You’re not with us”

One of the other chaperones said “Yes, she is part of our group”

He pointed at the lanyards everyone was wearing and said “You don’t have one of these”

But I do at home…

And he closed the door with me on the wrong side…

:(
So close, yet so far away.

I applaud your effort! :rotfl2:

I don’t know why I have bypassed Dumbo my whole life.
WHAT?????? :eek: :faint:

I'm glad you finally righted this wrong.

That is too bad you couldn't get in with the boys on the tour. :(

I'm glad you finally saw the new Tangled bathrooms (I just love the whole theme over there, but definitely think they could make room for a Rapunzel meet and greet).

But the best news is you FINALLY rode Dumbo. And my Dumbo loving husband said he thinks 50 years is too long and you best not wait another 50 years before the next time.

Hi Dee! A little late, but joining in!

I'm Ann, a high school teacher from Northwest Indiana, a little less than an hour from Chicago. I'm really enjoying this report and may have to go back and read your last one with your older son's class. I'm so impressed by this trip! I would love if our school corporation would do something like this and I have several questions.

Our students started their Summer Break the first week in June, so they would have been finished by the time you took this trip. Were you out of school by then or were they excused from the week of classes? The only overnight field trip that is sponsored by the school where I teach takes place during Spring Break, so no classes are missed.

The Y.E.S. Program sounds fantastic! How far in advance does the school make these arrangements? Are next year's dates already set? Is the price set for students early on or does it depend on how much sponsorship is given by the community? I can't get over how reasonably priced this was!

I'm curious. 112 students went on the trip. How many students are in your son's class? What was the percentage that went? Is behavior and grades the only reasons for the ones that did not go?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I'm sure I'll have more as I read along.

I love how you are doing a lot of "firsts for you" this trip. Isn't it neat that you can be a Disney World veteran but there are still firsts? We went through the new Peter Pan queue but it ws very late at night and we were told to walk quickly through so we didn't have time to truly appreciate all of the new stuff.

Oh no, I hate that you didn't get to go through the Haunted Mansion tour with the group. We went through the back way during our Keys to the Kingdom tour but it didn't take us close to the ballroom like your group got to do. (or at least they told you that they got to do)

The list of things I have never done at Disney or only recently experienced is kind of embarrassing. Heck, my family hadn't ever watched Wishes before our last trip together! And don't get my Beach Club friends started on the fact that I have not had a meal or ice cream at Beaches & Cream! A while ago I took one of those Facebook quizzes about the number of attractions you have done at WDW. My score would be better after this trip!

The queue is not good if you are a walk in, and too long of a wait if it is over 30 minutes. So it is probably best if the wait time displayed is 15-30 min.

I really thought it was meant to be, but since I already got a chance to do this 3 years ago (and it is just a few minutes backstage), I got over it quickly.

:goodvibes:

I keep getting email invites to a convention in Orlando in September....I'd love to take my two celebrating their birthday......not a solo trip but maybe if there's a YES program....

Bree plans on hitting Rip Saw Falls too :)

Tempting...

I like Rip Saw. I was disappointed we didn't do it in Feb, but it was so cold that there was just NO WAY it was happening!

:cold:

It was a rollercoaster ride of excitement then disappointment, but like Flight of the Hippogriff, it was a very short coaster.

UGH! That is a lot of time waiting for a first ride on Dumbo. We had a similar thing with Jungle Cruise. I think it was 3-4 visits to DL/WDW before I rode it due to refurbishments or length of the line.

I made it on Dumbo at age 29 too (plus 21 shipping and handling)!

:rotfl2:

Do the Marcelene to Magic tour and you get to experience it. I was like a little kid doing it. I smile riding HM knowing it

Very cool!

So close, yet so far away.

I applaud your effort! :rotfl2:

What's the worst thing that could happen- they say no. Which they did! But at least I didn't throw a tantrum and get kicked out of the park. Or go on that part of the tour and take a picture and get kicked out of the park. I got to stay in the park! That doesn't stink!

::yes::

WHAT?????? :eek: :faint:

I'm glad you finally righted this wrong.

I know! About time. :dumbo:

That is too bad you couldn't get in with the boys on the tour. :(

I'm glad you finally saw the new Tangled bathrooms (I just love the whole theme over there, but definitely think they could make room for a Rapunzel meet and greet).

But the best news is you FINALLY rode Dumbo. And my Dumbo loving husband said he thinks 50 years is too long and you best not wait another 50 years before the next time.

It was ok. At least I didn't have to do Stitch again! :stitch2: My payoff for missing the HM backstage was the solo morning, and I loved it!

I needed to see what all the fuss was about the Tangled bathrooms. That area really is beautiful!

That picture of Mark is great! I'm so glad to finally ride it. Not sure when I will do it again, but I'm guessing it will be sooner than 2065.

:lmao:

Hi Dee! A little late, but joining in!

I'm Ann, a high school teacher from Northwest Indiana, a little less than an hour from Chicago. I'm really enjoying this report and may have to go back and read your last one with your older son's class. I'm so impressed by this trip! I would love if our school corporation would do something like this and I have several questions.

Our students started their Summer Break the first week in June, so they would have been finished by the time you took this trip. Were you out of school by then or were they excused from the week of classes? The only overnight field trip that is sponsored by the school where I teach takes place during Spring Break, so no classes are missed.

The Y.E.S. Program sounds fantastic! How far in advance does the school make these arrangements? Are next year's dates already set? Is the price set for students early on or does it depend on how much sponsorship is given by the community? I can't get over how reasonably priced this was!

I'm curious. 112 students went on the trip. How many students are in your son's class? What was the percentage that went? Is behavior and grades the only reasons for the ones that did not go?

I hope I'm not asking too many questions. I'm sure I'll have more as I read along.

:welcome: to the report, Ann!

Never too many questions- I'll answer what I can. I am really impressed with this trip too, and I have spent some time promoting this trip to skeptics (parents) and I even spoke before our town's school committee to describe the valuable features of this trip.

The trip was June 8-12. The last day of school this year was June 25. :faint: They always have the trip during the school year, and the kids are excused for those 5 days.

I'm not sure if the dates are for next year are set yet, but it happens soon after school is back in session. I think we get the trip details in late September or early October. The price is communicated at that time. The big feature that can fluctuate is airfare. We can't actually book it until the deposits are paid in the fall and although Jet Blue gives us a price break, it is very small.

We do some fundraising, but not much. Most of that goes to students who may not be able to afford some or all of the trip price. I know that individual families contribute towards scholarships for kids to attend. The teachers have told me that they make sure every kid who earns the right to go on the trip can go regardless of an ability to pay. That said, there are some kids who chose not to go for financial or other reasons- parents aren't always comfortable with the plane flight or distance of the trip. School is still in session for those who do not qualify for the trip because of conduct or effort and for those who chose not to go. Grades per se are not a factor in deciding if a student is eligible to go (except if the poor grades resulted from a lack of effort, which is the case many times).

I was president of the parents support group for the Middle School and I made sure every year that the kids who chose to stay behind got to do something fun during that week.

I think Ben had 160 in his class, so 112 or 70% of the students went.

The Y.E.S program has some great programs and fantastic price breaks on park tickets and resort stays. We don't actually know until sometime in the spring which classes we can take. It depends on the number of our students and the number of Disney educators available. We thought we were going to be doing the physics program at MK (Space Mtn lights off/lights on) and Imagineering at HS, but we were not able to schedule these. :(

I can already tell that you are one teacher that I wish my kids had!

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter