Travels With Teens: Take Two “I Can Organize This Trip in My Sleep!”BC Dee in DC Roti & Fini p. 40

Dee - thank you for sharing the queue with us! I really have wanted to see this. We tried last December and it was not open as there was not enough of a wait and we used FP in May. It looks very cool (and literally too). Great thing to do with your solo time!

The queue was good, but I don't see myself, or my family doing it anytime soon.

If we are going to wait almost an hour for a ride, it better have the word "Mountain" in its name!

:goodvibes:

Thanks for posting the PP pictures. It is still too long at 52 minutes, but that line never seems shorter than that, even at park close or when it is cold and miserable out.

I agree- too long. But when I thought of the alternative- I could be at Stitch with 15 teenagers- I realized I got the better deal!

:rotfl2:

My hubby just wants to show up and do what he feels like doing, hence his love for Universal and dislike for Disney. I definitely have learned that I have to adopt a 'go with the flow" strategy or everyone has meltdowns....It doesn't stop my obsessive research and planning, because I try to come up with the best plan to incorporate no plans. Does that make sense? ;)

Makes total sense! You have a plan in place with the best possible options for your family. If it works out, great! If you have to change plans and go with the flow, you do that. I remember reading your trip report and you DID do that!

That can be a big problem, when a family has plans but can't recognize when it makes sense to abandon them for the good of everybody.

::yes::

OK, I wasn't worried until I read this!

No major trips. The band usually has a trip (NYC), but Ben isn't going to be in band in High School. Very few field trips, and parents most definitely aren't involved.

I'll be helping out with the secret Graduation night celebrations for the next few years, so that will have to do.

And I will continue to help the middle school teachers with the Disney trip.

I know of a middle school that could use your expertise! DD's school's 8th grade trip this year was a day in NYC. No sleepover, 6 buses, 300 kids - bus ride there at 5am, 9-11 Memorial, Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, then back on the bus home. I have just under 2 years til it will be her turn. I need to come up with a better plan!

“DO NOT GET INTO THE STAND-BY LINE FOR PETER PAN!”

The line is long.

The queue is boring.

And very hot.

The wait time posted is a LIE!

Best advice I never got. Last trip I thought "meh - it doesn't look so bad" and it's late so all the kiddies are in bed - it was our only 30+ minute wait of the trip.

I know of a middle school that could use your expertise! DD's school's 8th grade trip this year was a day in NYC. No sleepover, 6 buses, 300 kids - bus ride there at 5am, 9-11 Memorial, Ellis Island and Statue of Liberty, then back on the bus home. I have just under 2 years til it will be her turn. I need to come up with a better plan!

UGH!!!

Sounds miserable. Do you know where they ate? Or what it cost.

Did they take the Fung Wa buses???

:rotfl2:

I know I don't have to convince you, but seriously, the Disney trip is not bad at all.

Best advice I never got. Last trip I thought "meh - it doesn't look so bad" and it's late so all the kiddies are in bed - it was our only 30+ minute wait of the trip.

So sorry, but in my defense... I didn't know you then!

That is the number one piece of advice I share. That, and "Skip Stitch!"

You didn't go on Stitch, did you???

;)

Did they take the Fung Wa buses???

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

You didn't go on Stitch, did you???

No! That one I did know about, lol.

Sounds miserable. Do you know where they ate? Or what it cost.

I'll have to ask my friend whose son went. I'm sure it was lack of planning/volunteers/innovation and not just a desire to keep costs low that resulted in such a lame trip. I know just the former PTO President (and my former Girls Scouts co-Leader) that I can get to help me start planning something better for our DDs. I will probably have many questions for you!!!

Makes total sense! You have a plan in place with the best possible options for your family. If it works out, great! If you have to change plans and go with the flow, you do that. I remember reading your trip report and you DID do that!

That can be a big problem, when a family has plans but can't recognize when it makes sense to abandon them for the good of everybody.

We had a great trip last year! Speaking of plans,
my DD8 informed me she HAS to do Splash Mountain. Off to play with the Fastpasses.... ;) DH only plans are to do a whole lot of swimming

Following....i used your trip report from your last trip to WDW that you chaperoned for ideas/hints a couple years ago when I chaperoned a trip to WDW:worship:

I'll have to ask my friend whose son went. I'm sure it was lack of planning/volunteers/innovation and not just a desire to keep costs low that resulted in such a lame trip. I know just the former PTO President (and my former Girls Scouts co-Leader) that I can get to help me start planning something better for our DDs. I will probably have many questions for you!!!

I would be glad to help out in any way I can!

I am pretty sure that the Y.E.S program is the reason why we are able to do this trip at the price we pay- there is a discount on the park tickets and probably the stay as well.

:goodvibes:

We had a great trip last year! Speaking of plans,
my DD8 informed me she HAS to do Splash Mountain. Off to play with the Fastpasses.... ;) DH only plans are to do a whole lot of swimming

How did you do? Did you get the Splash you needed?

:)

Following....i used your trip report from your last trip to WDW that you chaperoned for ideas/hints a couple years ago when I chaperoned a trip to WDW:worship:

:welcome:

Glad to have you back for another class trip report.

How did your trip turn out? How many? What was the group?

As I have said several times, I am very impressed with the way the school handles this trip and at some point I will put together suggestions and tips for a successful group trip in a single post.

:thumbsup2

A Chance Encounter at the Tangled Tinkle Spot

The theme of this solo morning was doing new things I have not done on previous Magic Kingdom visits. There was a long list of things for me to check off.

One of them was the Tangled Tinkle Spot.

I had just exited Peter Pan after an hour-long line and two-and-a-half minute ride, and it was a great time for a bio break. And there is no better place to do that (or so I have read) than the Tangle-themed bathrooms.

DSCF6768.JPG

As I walked over, I saw a familiar face.

It was one of the boys in my walking group.

It was my son, his friends and our travel group RIGHT BEFORE THEY WERE GOING BACKSTAGE AT HAUNTED MANSION!

I took pictures of the group while they waited for everyone to finish up.

They gathered to listen to the important reminders about going backstage (hallways are dark, there is lighting on the floor to help guide you, NO talking since you are right below the doom buggies in the ballroom scene and absolutely NO photos!)

DSCF6773 (3).JPG

I couldn’t believe my timing for this chance encounter. I joined the line of students and chaperones as we lined up at the door that would take us backstage.

Everyone walked through and the Disney Y.E.S guide turned to me and said

“You’re not with us”

One of the other chaperones said “Yes, she is part of our group”

He pointed at the lanyards everyone was wearing and said “You don’t have one of these”

But I do at home…

And he closed the door with me on the wrong side…

:(

DSCF6776.JPG

I could not believe how close I had come to doing the best thing in that Y.E.S without having to endure Stitch!

Oh, well. I recovered and completed my original mission.

DSCF6778.JPG

DSCF6777.JPG

Up Next: More Firsts

I have waited my whole life to fly with elephants!

I don’t know why I have bypassed Dumbo my whole life.

My first trip to the World was when Mark and I were high school seniors and our attention was certainly on other rides at the park. Then during a few trips with Mark after we were married we never gave the elephants much of a thought.

Even when we took the boys on their first trip when they were age 6 and 3, and we had a half-day at MK, I was scared away by the “Dumbo or Die” advice in the Unofficial Guide to Disneyworld.

Subsequent trips with the family have featured the boys as tweens or teens so I haven’t even thought about suggesting spending park time on this attraction.

But I figured that 50 years has been long enough to go without piloting a flying elephant, so it was off to Storybook Circus for me (another first)

DSCF6795.JPG

DSCF6797.JPG

30 minutes

DSCF6798.JPG

Headed here. Eventually.

I had read about the new waiting area for the dueling Dumbo rides and I was impressed with what I saw.

Inside the Big Top:

DSCF6811.JPG

I was given a beeper that would tell me when it was time for me to join the boarding line and I walked around taking pictures of the fun activities for little kids to do while they waited their turn.

DSCF6808.JPG

DSCF6816.JPG

DSCF6800.JPG

DSCF6804.JPG

DSCF6810.JPG

DSCF6819.JPG

Continued in Next Post

Flying with Elephants, Continued

When my buzzer went off, I got into the boarding line (another 5-10 minutes, I think).

DSCF6823.JPG

DSCF6824.JPG

DSCF6826.JPG

DSCF6825.JPG

DSCF6821.JPG

I boarded my elephant and documented this momentous occasion with a selfie.

Dumbo.jpg

Other than that, I vowed I would enjoy the ride without taking any pictures.

Yeah. Right!

DSCF6835.JPG

DSCF6831.JPG

DSCF6837.JPG

Next up: Under the Sea and Under the Bus (Will I get the lurch on lunch?)

Last edited:
The infamous tangled toilets! You were so close but yet so far, that stinks that the guide didn't let you stay with the group but you did get to ride dumbo. Dumbo is a must for me I try to ride it every trip.

NO talking since you are right below the doom buggies in the ballroom scene

I did not know that ... that's pretty cool! I didn't realize the backstage areas actually went under the ride (although it makes sense)

And he closed the door with me on the wrong side…

:(
It would have been pretty cool if they had let you go with them ... but I guess they have limits on the number of chaperones for a reason.

I had read about the new waiting area for the dueling Dumbo rides and I was impressed with what I saw.

I think it's really great for kids - I've seen parents bring their kids in just to play, not even intending to ride - but nothing there for adults, which is a little disappointing to me. Even the rides with interactive queues have elements that the adults can enjoy too.

Other than that, I vowed I would enjoy the ride without taking any pictures.

Yeah. Right!

Seriously, you've got some great views of the park ... even I take pictures on Dumbo (and I'm not a big on-ride picture taker).
So, did you enjoy your first trip on Dumbo?

The Tangled Tinkle Spot???? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: That is TOO funny!

How fun to have your own private morning of firsts. But I can't believe you got shut out of Haunted Mansion. Ouch! I went in that entrance when I took the KTTK tour. That was fun, but not earth shattering so I think you'll live.

First ride on Dumbo???? gotta love that!

Great update!

I could not believe how close I had come to doing the best thing in that Y.E.S without having to endure Stitch!
That would have been interesting to see the backstage area - unless - it was the same area we saw when we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. But the Y.E.S. tour sounds different.

I rode Dumbo with my granddaughter last January. The kids didn't want to leave the play area when the buzzer first went off, so they give them a little longer to play. It is a great idea. :)

Although I was disappointed to be shut out of the HM backstage visit, it really wasn't too disappointing. I had done this exact thing during Nate's class, so I have experienced it before. And it really is just a short, 5 min visit.

But I just couldn't believe the luck of my timing in running into the group at that exact time. It wasn't like I was tracking them or texting to see where there were. We just happened to be in the same place at the right time. I thought it was meant to be.

It wasn't!

:rotfl:

The infamous tangled toilets! You were so close but yet so far, that stinks that the guide didn't let you stay with the group but you did get to ride dumbo. Dumbo is a must for me I try to ride it every trip.

Yup, first time checking those out!

Minor disappointment about not getting to go into HM with the group.

The new Dumbos are beautiful and I am really impressed with the waiting area!

I did not know that ... that's pretty cool! I didn't realize the backstage areas actually went under the ride (although it makes sense)

Yes, the group is below the doom buggies in the ballroom scene, right in front of the woman blowing out the candles on the birthday cake.

It would have been pretty cool if they had let you go with them ... but I guess they have limits on the number of chaperones for a reason.

I can't blame the guide. Since I wasn't with them all morning, he didn't really know me (or my Disney obsession or the blood, sweat and tears I put into helping plan the trip)

I think it's really great for kids - I've seen parents bring their kids in just to play, not even intending to ride - but nothing there for adults, which is a little disappointing to me. Even the rides with interactive queues have elements that the adults can enjoy too.

That's true. Although there were no activities for me, I spent my time taking pictures, and that was exactly what I wanted to do to pass the time.

Seriously, you've got some great views of the park ... even I take pictures on Dumbo (and I'm not a big on-ride picture taker).
So, did you enjoy your first trip on Dumbo?

Can't.Help.Myself!

Especially since I am riding solo and have nobody to judge.

I forgot to mention the other reason I have been hesitant to ride Dumbo. I don't do well on rides that spin or go around in a circle. A ride on Astro-orbitors did me in on one trip a few years ago.

But I was fine while riding and I'm glad I did it, but I don't think we will be making this a must-do family ride.

:dumbo:

The Tangled Tinkle Spot???? :rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: That is TOO funny!

How fun to have your own private morning of firsts. But I can't believe you got shut out of Haunted Mansion. Ouch! I went in that entrance when I took the KTTK tour. That was fun, but not earth shattering so I think you'll live.

First ride on Dumbo???? gotta love that!

Great update!

Credit goes to Rob for the "Tangled Tinkle Spot". Boy, I miss his posts! :(

It really was neat doing some things I had never done before. And there's still more!

I would have enjoyed joining that group for this one part of the class, but as you said, it is not earthshattering, so I am ok that they didn't let me in.

That's the great thing about Disney. No matter how many times you go, there is always a first. Even if it is a ride that has been there since the park opened!

:rotfl:

That would have been interesting to see the backstage area - unless - it was the same area we saw when we did the Keys to the Kingdom Tour. But the Y.E.S. tour sounds different.

I rode Dumbo with my granddaughter last January. The kids didn't want to leave the play area when the buzzer first went off, so they give them a little longer to play. It is a great idea. :)

What did you do at HM for KTTK?

Like I said, I had been before and it was really neat to be there and even cooler to be able to say "I went backstage in the HM ride" but missing it was not a big deal. It certainly wasn't worth me giving up the solo time I had that morning to attend the same class again.

:hmghost:

That really is a great play area- lots to do and nice and cool in there, so I can see why the kids wanted to stay a little longer to play.

I love Dumbo! Such a classic and I'm glad you got to experience it.

I'm glad I did it too. But again, not something I will do again soon.

:dumbo:

Last edited:
The Tangled bathrooms are a really well-themed. What're the odds that you'd run into your group without any kind of planning? It's a shame the Cast Member was being extra diligent and noticed your lack of a lanyard.

Your first time on Dumbo?! Wow. I'm glad you finally got the chance to ride it. What'd you think? Think you'll go on it again in the future?

Loving the TR, Dee! I am just amazed at what you are able to pull of on this trip with so many teens, and not to mention the amount of planning on your part!! :worship:
Y.E.S. sounds like an amazing program! I've never heard of it before!

That is a really funny story about how you "worked" while you slept. I've been there too. I have had sleep issues all my life too. So sometimes I have to take a pill and sometimes I do things...and I have had no recollection of it. LOL. Sometimes I feel like I'm more productive in that half-sleep stage though!

Love your solo morning! What a treat! I had no idea that the 7DMT had such an interactive stand-by since I've only rode it FP+. But it makes sense since it's such a popular ride. I agree on the PP...such a long wait! At least the new queue is a lot better but it is still a long wait.

Love the dumbo selfie! I have a few myself. :lmao:

Too bad they wouldn't let you go backstage at the Haunted Mansion! But I guess more solo time for you!

How did you do? Did you get the Splash you needed?

I did, but I think she might want to do it a little earlier in our trip :) I never really am done ch-ch-changing am I?

Sorry you were left behind on the YES HM tour, but cute selfie on Dumbo, and YAY a castle stop! We never do Dumbo, I am not sure why other than DD and her dislike of carnival/clown looking stuff Oh and DH usually pulling us to Barnstormer lol

The trip I chaperoned on was a lot of fun! There were about 75 high school aged kids and then the chaperones that went to sing at Downtown Disney. My biggest complaint of the trip was it was not organized well :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter