To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

CP in 96, lol, it's been a while.

CMs are given the ability/authority to make a guest recovery.....i.e. if you drop your ice cream, just go ask for another, they will usually replace it at no cost. They want to make you happy, so if you lose something, break something you just bought, let them know- you might be surprised how they go out of the way to remedy the situation of given the chance. I know i am somewhat shy in person, I don't like to cause a scene if the food is bad or my order is wrong at a restaurant, but let them know and they will try and fix it.

Call CMs by their name------i can tell you, it really meant a lot to me that a guest took 3 seconds to look at my name tag and call me by my name. you might just make the CMs day and spread some magic yourself.

My last post was in response to this...sorry I forgot to quote it:)

Sorry, I'm not a CM. I've been to WDW about 12 times (yes, even with all 6 of our children!) and someday I'm going to be a CM! :)

In my bag I always carry a couple of those little 'handi wipes'. Not so much for my hands - but in a pinch you can open it, back it with a napkin and wipe off a table. I haven't had to do it often, but during busy times it sure does make things easier.

I always thank my husband for serving in the military while we are there - his service makes it possible for our family to get to WDW.

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I print up envelopes at home that thank the housekeeping staff. Their tip goes in there. We have had so many positive remarks about those envelopes!

:grouphug:
denise

Not sure if this was mentioned, but I print up envelopes at home that thank the housekeeping staff. Their tip goes in there. We have had so many positive remarks about those envelopes!

denise
That's very nice of you. I never think about bringing along envelopes or greeting cards. I always just write a "thank you" note on the resort stationary.

Not a CM, but here's my tip - just relax. Take the time to talk to people. You're on vacation and if anyone is making your time less than magical, it's most likely yourself.

The number one tip I have for people as a cast member Is to take a few minutes at the end of your day to stop by guest relations and praise those special cast members that have gone above and beyond for you! Ask to fill out an “aplauseagram” which is given to the cast member! It is a great feeling to fill them out for other great CMs and it makes my day as a CM to help out guests who have had great interactions with our CMS!

Another tip that has saved countless children from many tears when their parents get lost is to teach your children your cell phone number so if they get separated from you we can call you once they come to guest relations.

Fantastic tips! We always try to do that!

I'm a former CM, does that count? If so, the only tip I have for people is to not go expecting a perfect trip, because if your expectations are too high you're not going to have fun. Disney has it tough. They put themselves in a situation where 200% perfect service is expected and not everything can go right. I have seen many guests breakdown for things as simple as a food stand running out of ketchup or the lines being shut down for characters.

Wait, I have another tip. If you're buying ice cream of some sort at a multiple line stand (such as Ahola to get Dole Whips), step back for a second and watch the different people get served. Go in the line where the CM is serving the ice cream that is the biggest.

Great tip, thanks!! ;)

Just found this thread today and read the whole thing! Awesome! Some comments I'd like to share:

Not a current CM, but crossing my fingers for the College Program starting this summer! Anyway, having been to WDW about a million times solo, my tip is to keep your ears open in the ride queues, specifically rides that need to fill x number of seats like Soarin, Space Mountain, and Tower of Terror. Often if there is an extra seat available the CM will call back "Party of one?" and sometimes "Party of two?" so that they can fill those extra seats. I've been skipped to the front many times because of this, but it can be hard to hear the CM sometimes and you may miss the announcement if you're not listening for it. But when I hear that call for "Party of one?" I always throw my hand up in the air and wave it around to alert the CM. The CM will take the first party (starting from the front of the line and working back) that fits the number of available seats.

This is very true! Back in January, we were in the standby line for Soarin'. All of a sudden, a CM started asking for a party of 3. Now, we were quite aways back, so I thought for sure there must be a party of 3 in front of us. NOPE! So, I raised my hand and they pulled us out of line. By the time we were at the front/loading area, there was no room for us. Someone (probably a small child) had decided to ride at the last minute. They told us we would have to wait for the next ride and they apologized. We said it wasn't a problem! But, we did get to load first and we were in the front row! It was great.

BWAHAHAHA, This is exactly what I was going to say! One time I was going through the turnstiles somewhere (I believe it was HM) and the one on the left was going really slow and the one on the right was cruising so I took my girlfriend by the hand and went to the right and got through the turnstiles at least 5 people ahead of the person who was immediately in front of me. Then once we were through there was room ALL the way up the right side almost to the door and the castmember was saying "Please fill all available space" so I walked allll the way up, as did the line of people who followed me and some lady started throwing a hissy fit yelling at all of us and the cast member saying we were cutting. It's not my fault that I followed the directions and she didn't.

We always make sure to fill in all the space when we're directed to do so. I don't know why other guests get so angry at us for following directions!

Also, the line to the left for POTC is actually a lot shorter (distance wise) than the right. I paced them both out. The line on the left enters the boats from the left whereas the line to the right has to go up and over the water and down the other side to get on the boats. So that "always pick the left line" definitely works in this case.

Back in January, everyone (and I mean everyone) was getting in the left line for POTC. There was a CM right at the entrance telling everyone that both sides were open. So, we hopped in the right side and there was not another guest to be seen! We got right into a boat. As a matter of fact, the boats on the right side were not even half full because everyone was going to the left. On the left side, there was quite a line building. It pays to pay attention!

I wish I'd taken the time to 'write-up' Snow White and Belle from our 2005 trip. The kind interest and genuine kindness they showed our kids was extraordinary. In fact, all of the other princesses fell kind of flat after them!

On our last trip, we had breakfast at Akershus. Belle was very sweet and spent a good amount of time with each child. Halfway through our meal, we were told that our DD would need to get her picture retaken (she must have blinked or something). So, we got back into line. Belle commented that she was back for more picture! We told her that she must have blinked so Belle reminded her to smile real big, but keep those eyes open! Belle then told our DD that she would be in France later.

Much later that day, as we were walking through WS, we saw that Belle was out with the Beast. We hopped into line and noticed it was Belle from breakfast (she had changed into her blue dress by this time)! When it was our DD's turn, Belle remembered her! She asked how our breakfast was and what she had been doing all day. Our DD had the biggest smile on her face! It really made her day.

The villains are amazingly fun to play with. Smee tried to get my daughter's Wendy Coca Cola pin away from her, and Captain Hook threw their autograph book down a well in Adventureland because DS was wearing a Peter Pan shirt.

I couldn't agree more about the villians. Our DD was wearing a Tinkerbell tank top when she met Captain Hook and Mr. Smee. When she handed Captain Hook her autograph book, he grabbed it by the corner and acted like it smelled! He just passed it off to Mr. Smee. He then got right down on our DD's level, pointed to her shirt, and did a "peee-yoouuuu" gesture! She was laughing hysterically! Captain Hook eventually signed her book, but then made her work to get it back. He held it waayyyy over her head and made her jump for it. The kids behind us were wondering what was going on and I had to tell them that she was wearing a Tink shirt. They just laughed and laughed. That was one of the best character interactions we had the whole trip!

We also received a Magical Moment while we were at AK. We decided to get some ice cream at an ice cream cart in Asia. The CM told us the ice cream was on the house if our DD could identify the animal in the picture that he had. Well, she had no idea what it was, so he had her just repeat after him (it was an impala). He then told us our money was no good there and to go ahead and pick out whatever we wanted! We couldn't believe it! The CM told us he had been waiting to give out a Magical Moment all day. We were the only ones around, and it was nice to spend some time with such a lovely CM. It truly made our day and we'll never forget it. I wish I could remember that CM's name! I'll definately be bringing my CM appreciation cards on this trip in a few weeks!

CM's-Thank you for all that you do. You made WDW the most Magical Place on Earth!

I have a big problem with this type of attitude. If I drop my ice cream, it's MY FAULT and I will go buy another one. I don't expect someone to compensate for my clumsiness.

I worked food service for years and can't count the number of people who dropped their food on the ground and expected us to replace it for free. Um... no.
And that's why Disney is legendary for Customer Service... and the restaurant you worked at isn't.

Side Note: I'm constantly having to remind myself when I patronize local establishments that they're not Disney, and as a result, I should lower my expectations accordingly.

Two more things I thought of (and no, I'm still not a CM!) LOL!

Bring along one of those mesh pop-up clothes hampers. They are perfect for dirty laundry and carrying laundry to be washed when you need to.

Whether or not you are planning on doing laundry :laundy: - bring along a few dryer sheets in a plastic baggie. They are great for making a drawer smell nice - and are expensive if you need to buy them in the laundromat.

Throw an empty zipper style plastic bag in your backpack. I can't tell you how many times we have needed a bag - for something wet - for an open package of food - for a broken necklace!

One more - let your kids get enough sleep. :hippie: Even teens need some time to rest. You will have so much more fun if you have given time for sleep.

denise

If you don't mind getting wet kilimanjaro safaris in the rain can be pretty cool. You will get to see the animals moving around a lot more. Also try asking your driver additional questions about the animals, they should know more information then they have time to say and if you ask they should be happy to tell you.

A shoe holder over the bathroom or closet door helps keep everything organized - we used it on cruises and now in hotel rooms and it makes it so nice to have a place for everything and clear countertops.

Also, be very nice to CM - some are on the college program, make almost no money and want to have a good experience, so as a mom, be nice.

Waterproof camera. Most manufacturers are all coming out with one for $100 to $200. Put it in your pocket, don't need a baggie. Don't have to worry about rain or the water rides. Great around the pools.

I'm partial to the Fujifilm Z33WP.

Actually it's been proven that the majority of people will go right as the majority of people are right hand dominant.

I almost always turn left, and I'm right handed, but it may be because I'm legally blind in my right eye.

*BUMP*
For the Dads.....
cargo shorts. great carry all for smaller items that can be a pain to have to search thru a bag for...still love that Dole Whip tip!:mickeybar

Any CM have a tip on how to be "that :magnify:guy"????

I have a tip for parade & fireworks viewing! If you want to get a good seat but hate finding them and sitting there for an hour doing nothing, have your group set up wherever it is you want to watch everything from and send 1-2 people to go get dinner and bring it back. While you keep your spot, you can be entertaining yourself with dinner. (Makes the time fly by and you still get those excellent seats!)

Or before you go print a sign saying 'Wet Paint -Do not sit here' and put it on your bench in the morning then go back to the bench for parades and fireworks!!! :rotfl2:....I don't really do this, just joking!

Waterproof camera. Most manufacturers are all coming out with one for $100 to $200. Put it in your pocket, don't need a baggie. Don't have to worry about rain or the water rides. Great around the pools.

I'm partial to the Fujifilm Z33WP.

The Olympus Stylus 410 is the best vacation camera I have ever seen. Its water resistant, and when its closed, the lens is protected and no buttons can turn it on. It can't come on accidentally in your pocket, and it takes great pictures. Plus it can take (with a good memory card) thousands of pictures and uploading takes just seconds. I use mine for both vacations and craigslist posting. (and pictures on the DIS food forum) I used it for ebay back in the power seller days to list thousands of items. Its built like a tank, and you can get one for less than $35 if you watch ebay/craigslist. It takes great night pictures with the night mode.
The only flaw is it could use improvements on the macro functions. Close up pics (like diecast cars and jewelry) aren't as good, but that's common on most lower priced cameras.
You can also buy a scuba add on kit and take it scuba diving. If you drop it in water, from what I have read if your super fast you can grab it from the water fast and it will be OK. But I don't plan to try that one.;)

A shoe holder over the bathroom or closet door helps keep everything organized - we used it on cruises and now in hotel rooms and it makes it so nice to have a place for everything and clear countertops.

Also, be very nice to CM - some are on the college program, make almost no money and want to have a good experience, so as a mom, be nice.

I used your over the door shoe holder idea while at POR this past June and it was WONDERFUL!!! Thanks so much for the great idea. It held all of our toiletries and we have 3 daughters.

THANKS

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter