To the CM's on the board: what is the one "tip" you can give us?

What a great thread! I just read through the whole thing. :surfweb: Thanks anotherdisneygal for bumping it! :thumbsup2

Actually, a tip about Cast Members:

One of the things our family does is carry some note cards with us to write down the names of CMs who go above and beyond, and "shine" at what they're doing. We put down their name, where they were working, and brief description of what was exemplary. We then make a stop at guest relations, on the way out of the park or resort, ask to see a manager, and "turn them in." It never fails to delight Guest Services, and it's good training for my kids in noticing what there is around them to be grateful for.

That is a GREAT idea. We have written to WDW thanking CM's for outstanding services on a few occasions. Sometimes we remember the CM's name, sometimes not. :confused3

We will carry a notebook next time.

Be Kind To The CMs is just danged good behavior. We have had some great conversations with CMs. We were walking back to the train from RS at AK and a gardener was working. We stopped and had a long conversation with her about the plants and flowers at AK and I think MK.

We got up one day for early EMH at AK while staying at AKL. Usually the AK to AKL buses run back and forth pretty quickly but this morning no buses. After 30 minutes or more a DH bus pulled up and I asked the driver if AK had morning EMH. He said no but DH did which differed from my notes. What the heck, we have not been to DH yet so off we go. :confused3:)

We get to DH and the place is empty. We walk up to the gates which is surrounded by a gang of CMs trimming the bushes. :lmao: Hmmmm, this is not looking good. We look at them. They look at us. :rotfl2: They tell us the park does not open for another hour or two :scared1:

What had happened was the bus driver looked at an OLD schedule. The new schedule had come out the morning so he was off a week.....

We chatted a bit with the CMs and they gave all the girls and women in the party fresh cut flowers right from the bushes. :banana:

Some people would have pitched a fit at this point but we wandered back to the bus stops wondering how we were going to get out of DH to ANYWHERE :rotfl: when in drove a WDW van. Turns out it was one of the bus managers. :thumbsup2 He appeared to be checking things at the building near the bus stop but I wonder if the CMs at the gate called and let the bus CM's know that some guests were at DH trying to get to AK.

Anywho the manager took us over to AK and we had a great talk about the bus system and WDW. He dropped us off right up front and in we went. I can't remember if we missed RD or not. If we did it was not by much time. And it certainly did not effect our day in a negative way.

In fact the whole little side trip turned into a great little WDW memory. :thumbsup2

But I could see someone with a bad attitude turning the whole episode into a real bad experience for the CMs at the gate and the bus manager. And in return the guests bad attitude would have been bounced right back at them and ruined the guests day. What for us was a positive would have been a negative. The only difference was ATTITUDE.

Be Kind To CMs.
Be Kind To Other Guests.
Have Fun.
Go Slow Do Not Hurry And Rush.

Later,
Dan

To remember the names of great CM's, I think I'll use my cell phone next trip! Since it has a "note" function, I'll just jot down names and the reason. Then, I'll have everything in one place, and I won't have to carry something extra around!

as a guest, here is a sure fire way to bring a smile to someone's face - Say thank you to the woman cleaning the ladies room. 9 times out of 10 the bathrooms are remarkably clean for all the people that go through and 9 times out of 10 someone is physically in the bathroom cleaning. How'd you like that job...cleaning disney's bathrooms all day? Not me. But I absolutely appreciate that the bathroom is clean. I always tell the CM's THANK YOU and the smiles I get are amazing. Sometimes I think these women go for weeks and no one says thank you to them.

so Thank a restroom CM today!

I cleaned our dorm daily (all the bathrooms and halls on all 3 floors ) in college for free room and board, and I can tell you that cleaning bathrooms and emptying trashcans are thankless jobs that happen all the time. Yes, it was my "job" to clean and I was getting something for it, but anytime you see someone doing something to help you, tell them thank you...It was one of the hardest things I have ever done and I teach for a living!!!

Thanks for all these tips!

I always thank staff/drivers/servers anyway by habit (having been in the sometime thankless service industry ;) ) but I want to make sure the kids pick up that habit

One of the hardest things for me will be to slow down - this is a one off trip for us - certainly nothing we can repeat in the coming years so it will be a challenge as there is no second chance for us - but it is a one off time to make memories and that is what I am aiming for! So my mantra will be "it is for the kids! It is for the kids!It is for the kids!" :goodvibes

"Our DD can freak herself out about rides and experiences that we know she would like. So we tell her about it, or even better ask the CM at that ride to explain it to her. Then we let her make the choice. But since she is a pin collector, we have made it a tradition to buy her a new pin "commemorating" her bravery in trying something new. And when we get home she has a cork board where she displays her pins and she can remember her first time on that ride:goodvibes"

That is a great idea, I have feeling that I may be borrowing that idea for a DS & DD this July!:flower3:

erinch, your note card idea is fabulous. I make up little thank you cards that I give out but nothing beats a CM getting a note to their bosses about how great they are and to get it soon after the deed rather than a few weeks or even months later is even better! I am going to steal that idea, if you do not mind.;)

Kudos to all of you with the great attitudes. You reap what you sow and by slowing down and smelling the roses and talking to the CM's, who are largely more in love with WDW than even we are, just makes everyone feel good. People like to be appreciated and when they are they do even better.

I have always went out of my way to thank those who have the less glamorous jobs like cleaning bathrooms, sweeping the parks etc. They are a large part of the magic.

I am happy to be part of such a thoughtful group who know the importance of enjoying what you have and not what you think you want.

Slightly Goofy

Current CM here!

Random things off the top of my head...

-If your shoes start to rub your feet, any first aid station will gladly give you free band-aids to help stop the blisters.

-Anyone can watch fireworks from the beach at the poly, hop on the monorail, if you want a quiet spot its a great view and usually not many other guests around.

-Please do NOT feed the animals. Cannot tell you how many times I've seen a family tossing bits of their lunch to the ducks while sitting RIGHT next to a sign about not feeding the birds. It messes up their natural diets and instincts.

-Pack ziploc baggies. Protecting valuables on wet rides, carrying snacks, etc, the possibilities are endless!

-To go with all the posts about being polite to CMs, please also be PATIENT. I promise we are doing our best to be as efficient as possible, it just may take you a tad longer to get through lines when there are larger crowds.

-Stay on property. I promise you won't regret it!

When we went in December, I took pictures of CM's who talked with my daughter about Disney and the college program. When we got home, I sent a letter to WDW thanking all the CM's who took the time to talk to my daughter along with the pictures. I received a wonderful phone call about the letter and that it was going to be sent to where the CM's could also see it.

This thread has brought tears to my eyes! Such great tips all around. Thank you whoever it was who bumped it. I always am glued to the DIS for about a month before I leave for a trip to try and find new tips and strategies. The biggest tip I will take with me to the World is taking the time to stop, smell the roses, and really show appreciation to the CM's who have made WDW such a magical place for my family through the years. :goodvibes

Wow this thread is amazing! So glad I joined these DIS boards. :love:

I love spreading the magic. I've always wanted to work for Disney. I'm 17, and planned to go to college in Orange County, CA....the school is 10 minutes from Disneyland so I had been planning my college life as a tour guide ha. Unfortunatly I did not get into that school....but never fear my CM time will come eventually. :lovestruc

My first REAL Disney experience (I did go to WDW when I was 6 I do not recall much at all) was when I was 15 and went to Disneyland for the day with my best friend and my aunt. I fell in love. We did everything that day, and we were one of those groups that is riding right up to close. Indiana Jones became our favorite ride. About half hour till close someone came up and offered us a dream fast pass! I'll never forget their genoristy. Because of them not only did we get to ride Indie one last time, but we also got to ride the Matterhorn for the first time ever :wizard:

I live in New Jersey so neither the land or the world are too close to visit...but that summer me and Grace (my best friend from Disneyland) were surprised with a trip to WDW that August. I was going with her family, so it was me, Grace, Grace's mom, and Grace's two little sisters (ages 7 and 4). One day we had breakfast reservations at Cinderella's royal table, and since the girls were dressing up as princesses, they begged me to wear my Alice in Wonderland costume. Sine it's Disney, I said sure. The entire day I had kids staring at me and waving, it was cute. At the royal table they gave us "wishing stars" and "magic wands". I had a few extras, and I noticed a little girl in line for dumbo (maybe 3 y/o?) looking at them. I offered it to her and her parents and the look on each of their faces was so heart warming.

This Monday I will be down at WDW again for my senior trip, and I plan to attempt to spread some magic every single day. :flower3:

Didn't read the entire thread so not sure if this has been mentioned or not.

Regarding ADR's

Please try to be at your dining location at least 15 min before your scheduled time.

Please allow at least 1 HOUR to get to your destination. This is important if it's at a resort and you are relying on buses, boat or monorail. If you aren't sure what the best method of transportation is call the restaurant

Please remember that although we have your name and know that you are coming we cannot hold a table for you. When you check in you will be given the next table for your party size that becomes available.

Our tables generally fit 8. We can move some together to accompany larger parties but sometimes that just isn't possible. We do our best to get you all together.

Please and this is a huge PLEASE....if you have a large group (over 6) please do not make 2 reservations and then expect to sit together or next to each other. People do this all the time to avoid having to pay the 18% grat that is included on large checks. If you want to avoid the grat then plan on being sat at different times and different areas. It's not fair to the servers.

If you have an issue with your reservation, table location or server do not take it up with the costumed CM's that are at the podium or your server. Ask to speak to a manager. They will be more then happy to help you in any way.

Hi. I haven't read through the thread, but I'd figured I'd post anyways. Here are a bunch of fun tips from an attractions/entertainment girly!

1. Patiieennncceee! Please, please, understand! Especially with characters. They're trying their best to spend special time with each guest that comes to visit them. Then don't get upset if your child got 4 less seconds with a character then a previous guest. While you're waiting, come up with things to say to the characters! For example, if you're in line for Peter - come up with something like, "I have an idea for an awesome adventure I want to tell you!" or "Can you teach me how to caw?" or "What's the latest on Hook? I haven't seen him around! Did you run him out of the place?" Oh, and golly, for Donald, mention anything about Mickey being number one and he will throw a fit! ;)

Patience on rides, also. Depending on the season and times you go - you may be waiting a while. Yes, planning is good. :D

2. Do not let your kids run up and draw on characters. :(

3. Talk to us!!! Characters are one thing, but I just absolutely love it, when, for example, I worked the doors to the Land building and a kid comes up to me and tells me a whole story about his day. Most attractions have special posts called "Greeters" that welcome you to a ride and give you details about it - also checks height's, whatnot.. but it's also a great time to talk to our guests! I had this kid who was visiting for a week and every time he saw me, we'd stop what we were doing and go into a battle of rock, paper, scissors!

4. Take advantage of First Aid if you need it! I never see enough people who use it, nor even know about it. They're wonderful and can help you with any issues, or direct you for where to go for more advanced help!

5. Do NOT plan every minute, every ride order, etc. Things happen. Rides 101. Fastpass runs out. I say, play what park you're going to do, a general idea of what to do first, and where to eat. That's all. For example, if it's a play day for me and I go to the Studios, my idea is: Go to TSM, ride and grab a fast pass -- go to RnR -- but then oops, I see Mulan out at the hat and I want to see her so bad! Things change! Bathroom breaks, characters, etc. Plans are great but never overplan. Magical things happen randomly, without order. ;)

6. Say thank you. Even just once. When you're leaving a ride, "Thanks!" or "Have a great day!" Some of us work long shifts (example, my friend is working 14 hours today!), and that simple thanks helps us get through another hour. Sometimes it's a battle. Besides work, we have a lot going on in our personal lives and we're trying our best. It's funny how CM's can bring magic to your trips.. yet sometimes, the guests help bring the magic back to us for the day. :)

6. Have fun and remember, no matter what happens, it's just Disney

:D

6. Say thank you. Even just once. When you're leaving a ride, "Thanks!" or "Have a great day!" Some of us work long shifts (example, my friend is working 14 hours today!), and that simple thanks helps us get through another hour. Sometimes it's a battle. Besides work, we have a lot going on in our personal lives and we're trying our best. It's funny how CM's can bring magic to your trips.. yet sometimes, the guests help bring the magic back to us for the day.

We always do! Same for what I do- a simple thank you works wonders. I usually say- "Have a great day!" to the CM's we see leaving the ride. We try to get our DD's and DS to say thank you to the janitorial staff especially-they have to clean up after our messes!

6. Say thank you. Even just once. When you're leaving a ride, "Thanks!" or "Have a great day!"

We do! We always say thank you to the bus drivers as we get off at our destination too! Oh yes, and custodial too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter