• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to be clear about this before getting there. We are going as a party of 8. Is it mandatory to pay the full 18-20% tip or can we leave them a tip that we think is suitable on the table?

I just want to be clear about this before getting there. We are going as a party of 8. Is it mandatory to pay the full 18-20% tip or can we leave them a tip that we think is suitable on the table?

an 18% gratuity will be added to your bill and will be owed. If you have any problems during your meal with your service ask to speak to a manager to have the gratuity adjusted. You are able to add more to the amount if you want to

You can absolutely leave a tip you think is suitable, as long as it is above the gratuity required by your party size.

You cannot lower a tip that you feel is too much.

Personal tipping habits is not a topic for discussion

Have a great trip!

I tried on one of our trips to put the tips on a gift card and honestly it was too hard to keep track of how much was left on the card, so we go the easy cash route. We also do the envelope thing to make it so much easier. I start about sixes months before stashing money into the individual envelopes!

I tried on one of our trips to put the tips on a gift card and honestly it was too hard to keep track of how much was left on the card, so we go the easy cash route. We also do the envelope thing to make it so much easier. I start about sixes months before stashing money into the individual envelopes!
This is what I want to do! I just want to have the cash saved up ahead of time. How did you know how much you were going to tip for each meal that far ahead? Some of the meal pricing on the website is pretty vague.

That's what I thought it'd be like trying to use a GC. Planning on bringing plenty of small bills for that.

This is what I want to do! I just want to have the cash saved up ahead of time. How did you know how much you were going to tip for each meal that far ahead? Some of the meal pricing on the website is pretty vague.
This is how I plan my tips...if it is buffet, I usually look at when they post a range of price(let's say $23-$32 pp) I got with the highest number and just figure 20% of that. That way if it comes out as less I have a little extra cash for snacks/drinks not on the DDP. If it's a regular table service restaurant, well the kids price is a flat rate no matter what they pick and then I do the highest thing on the menu for one of us and a middle priced entree along with the dessert the same way and figure out 29% of that. I hope that makes sense!

Is the 18% added to your bill a suggested tip? Are you allowed to leave more or less?

Personal tipping habits are not allowed. Sorry!

If your party size is 6, which includes anyone w a pulse, it is 18%. Other than that up to the individual

If on the DDP pay attention to your ending trip bill. I stopped tipping in cash for this reason. Even though we were leaving more than 18% in cash (as a former server I always preferred getting cash tips), we were still getting the 18% charge on our bill. I noticed all the charges when we were checking out and had to call each restaurant individually to get them removed. We went to 7 TS meals on our last trip and this happened at 3 restaurants. So I'm just leaving tips on my account for now on unfortunately.

If on the DDP pay attention to your ending trip bill. I stopped tipping in cash for this reason. Even though we were leaving more than 18% in cash (as a former server I always preferred getting cash tips), we were still getting the 18% charge on our bill. I noticed all the charges when we were checking out and had to call each restaurant individually to get them removed. We went to 7 TS meals on our last trip and this happened at 3 restaurants. So I'm just leaving tips on my account for now on unfortunately.

This is why you should always check your receipts before you sign for them :) If you were a party of 6 and subjected to the auto grat, then leaving cash isn't helping out a server. Any auto grat, cash or charge goes back to WDW and is paid on a servers check

This is why you should always check your receipts before you sign for them :) If you were a party of 6 and subjected to the auto grat, then leaving cash isn't helping out a server. Any auto grat, cash or charge goes back to WDW and is paid on a servers check

Well that is why it was odd b/c I always told the server I'm going to pay in cash and then cross out the gratuity and put "paid in cash" on the receipt where I signed (had to sign for the DDP). but keeping my copy of the receipt always helped to expedite the removal later on.

Well that is why it was odd b/c I always told the server I'm going to pay in cash and then cross out the gratuity and put "paid in cash" on the receipt where I signed (had to sign for the DDP). but keeping my copy of the receipt always helped to expedite the removal later on.
Here's the thing, when you got the receipt it already had the charge on there. You crossing it out doesn't make the charge go away and telling the server you are paying the grat in cash doesn't fix it either without putting the cash in the tip book and signing for the DP only. You signed for the room charge.
I'm not saying that you didn't pay it in cash but so many times a guest will say they are paying it in cash and don't or they will say they did pay in cash and have the charge removed.
The safest way is always room charge/credit/gift card the tip and add cash for over and above

Here's the thing, when you got the receipt it already had the charge on there. You crossing it out doesn't make the charge go away and telling the server you are paying the grat in cash doesn't fix it either without putting the cash in the tip book and signing for the DP only. You signed for the room charge.
I'm not saying that you didn't pay it in cash but so many times a guest will say they are paying it in cash and don't or they will say they did pay in cash and have the charge removed.
The safest way is always room charge/credit/gift card the tip and add cash for over and above

I don't disagree with giving cash for over and above. As a former server, I just know you get taxed at a higher rate when you input your tips in the system so that is why I try and give cash. And even if crossed out or they came back with a new receipt, it always has the required 18% tip in when you get your bill if you are over 8 people (which we always are) so it will never come back without that. So that part is always on the bill no matter what. Just giving fair warning to those who always have tables over 8 people and want to tip in cash.

Is that new? It has never had the tip automatically on there in the past?

:confused3 the only people htat have auto gratuity are those with 6 or more in the party. So by my math, if the OP is getting it on their bill, they have 6 people. What am I missing?

I apologize if this is a duplicate question, but I got lost reading through this big long thread.

We have a party of 9. I know that we will automatically be charged 18% for a party of 6 or larger. Here's where my question comes in: We absolutely get to choose our method of payment on this, correct? I used my card to guarantee the reservations, but my Stepdad is paying for the trip including meals (well, sort of meals. We're on Free Dining). I'm not a cheapskate or anything, but we're saving for a long trip to WDW next year so we don't want to end up with any hidden expenses that we have not budgeted for. Ultimately, I guess it's not a huge thing as he'd probably pay us back if need be, but still. Simplest is best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter