Tipping Info Thread for Disney Dining

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may have been asked before but here it goes. IN the past we have always paid cash for our tips. I am reading that we can use disney gift cards. Just curious how the server gets their money. Or do they use these gift cards to have to buy mercandise.
The tip amount is deducted from the gift card and paid out to the server similarly to using a credit/debit card. You are not giving a gift card as the actual tip- it is just used to pay the tip amount. Hope that clears it up.

Needing ideas on budgeting for tips. Our trip is 56 days away and I am trying to figure out how much to budget for our dining tips. We have the regular free dining plan. Should I look at me the prices and guess at what will most likely order and then calculate the 18% or 20%? Any pointers for plannin ahead for dining tips is appreciated.

You will receive a bill that will have all the prices listed as well as suggested tip amounts. Fill in the amount you want to tip and the server will scan your band, remove your dining credits and charge the tip to your room. You can also use a gift card or a credit card. Just tell the server how you would like to pay the tip. If you choose to leave cash....write CASH on the tip line and leave cash in the book, your band will still need to be scanned and you will have to sign for it.

Your best bet is to look at the menu's and figure out what you may order and then figure the tip amount from there

Hi, Im sure this has been covered already in this thread or on the site, but I cannot seem to find the answer, sorry.

We are a party of 9 at most of our ADR's and we will be splitting the bills into 2. We are on the DxDP, but my question is on the automatic gratuities.

Will be be charged 18% or 20% OR get the choice?
ALSO, do we have the option of how we pay this automatic gratuity? or is it automatically assumed to be charged on the Magic Band? Can we pay cash if we want?

Thanks!

The first post has the info :) it is 18% and you can pay however you choose

If you pay cash, many folks will write cash on the tip line

Have a great time!

Apologies if this has been asked. I have not read all 47 pages.
We are a family of 3, travelling with another family of 5, all using ddp for the first time. Most of our adrs are booked for 8 so I am aware that our tip will already be included in our bill since we are a group over 6.
My question is will this be clearly stated on the bill so we can split it? They have a toddler so will sometimes be buying an extra kids meal and any other extras that might not be included and I don't fancy getting the calculator out each time lol we are staying for 14 nights so this could add up over time putting us out of pocket more than I have planned for.

I realise the above question is similar but just wondering if the gratuity amount is made clear or added into the whole cost owed

I found using the dining plan easy yet confusing. I really wish the bill said:
hamburger - DP
Beer - $350
soda - DP
I found getting the entire bill with prices for everything confusing. I'd like the total - show what's included on DP and a space for the tip. It was really confusing since DH and I were on the plan and DD wasn't .

hamburger - DP
Beer - $350
soda - DP
I found getting the entire bill with prices for everything confusing. I'd like the total - show what's included on DP and a space for the tip. It was really confusing since DH and I were on the plan and DD wasn't .

Was your daughter in a different room? Everyone on the package has to be on the plan. But it's not hard at all. drink, entree and dessert, under plan. I think you need to usually request a separate bill for those not on the plan, especially if you want to make it easier.

hamburger - DP
Beer - $350
soda - DP
Tres Drole!!!

hamburger - DP
Beer - $350
soda - DP

Top on the total. That's why.

Reminder, not a thread for discussing tipping habits - purely the mechanics :)

thanks folks!

So my understanding is that I can pay the tips by disney gift cards at the restaurant or charge it on the magic band and when I check-out, pay the balance at the hotel's front desk with the disney gift cards. Is there a reason why you would pay with the disney gift card at the restaurant? Wouldn't it be easier not to carry the gift cards?

So my understanding is that I can pay the tips by disney gift cards at the restaurant or charge it on the magic band and when I check-out, pay the balance at the hotel's front desk with the disney gift cards. Is there a reason why you would pay with the disney gift card at the restaurant? Wouldn't it be easier not to carry the gift cards?
Up to you... Whatever is easiest for you...

I am sure the answer to my question is among the many pages...on the dining plan for table service meals, party of 2 people is the 18% tip automatically added to the bill.

I am sure the answer to my question is among the many pages...on the dining plan for table service meals, party of 2 people is the 18% tip automatically added to the bill.

18% is added to parties of 6 or more. On the bottom of your bill (and you will get a bill regardless of whether you are using a dining plan or not) there will be a suggested tip amount of 18% or 20%. Simply write the amount that you wish to leave, your Magic Band will be scanned, the dining plan deducted and the gratuity amount charged to your room. If you want to leave cash, write CASH in the tip line. If you want to put it on a credit card, gift card or redemption card, put the card in the book. The server will run your dining plan and charge the amount to whatever you chose to use. You will then have to sign the receipt stating that you used the dining plan and then sign for the charge. The transaction isn't complete until you sign on the signature line.

18% is added to parties of 6 or more. On the bottom of your bill (and you will get a bill regardless of whether you are using a dining plan or not) there will be a suggested tip amount of 18% or 20%. Simply write the amount that you wish to leave, your Magic Band will be scanned, the dining plan deducted and the gratuity amount charged to your room. If you want to leave cash, write CASH in the tip line. If you want to put it on a credit card, gift card or redemption card, put the card in the book. The server will run your dining plan and charge the amount to whatever you chose to use. You will then have to sign the receipt stating that you used the dining plan and then sign for the charge. The transaction isn't complete until you sign on the signature line.

thank you for the information :)

Question about Tipping and splitting bills. In your opinions, what's best easiest way for all? Group of 12. 4 packages - 4 different magic bands to scan. should we split bill in 4? should we get one bill and then divide up (there are always extras that aren't covered on dining plan that we get)

Question about Tipping and splitting bills. In your opinions, what's best easiest way for all? Group of 12. 4 packages - 4 different magic bands to scan. should we split bill in 4? should we get one bill and then divide up (there are always extras that aren't covered on dining plan that we get)
Separate checks would seem to be the easiest

if you have 4 different rooms, then just tell the server who is with who. They will split the bills, deduct each rooms dining plan, add the tip based on what each room ordered and charge the room for extras. It's very easy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter