• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

How did the race go today? Details please.

I ran my 10K in the 40 degree rain. My fingers are still not thawed out. This is the course that I had trouble with last October and only completed 5K. Today after it pouring rain all of mile 3 I was so wanting to stop after just 5K but I kept going. Wasn't my best time but I DID complete the whole 10K.

The race was at a golf course so we had a bunch of hills. Not the nice long incline but some pretty steep ups and down. And I'm not really fond of hills in any form but now I can say I did it. :cool1:

Join us for Tink you will have so much fun.

Good for you! Sometimes you just have to push through!

It was a great race. We ran through downtown, and alongside the river. Nice scenery and pretty level surface. I thought I had started out too fast and would tire out before I was finished, but I didn't! I actually ran my personal best time, 35:48! This was at a 3:1 run/walk.

Hi! :wave2: So glad I found this thread! I'll be running the Tinker Bell in 2014. It'll be my first half marathon -- I'm so excited! Looking forward to following along with all of your updates here. :goodvibes

Keahgirl, I probably saw you at the 5k! It was a great course, I really loved it. and I got a picture with Jackie while Dan was performing behind us. She was really sweet and they both looked like they are still in great shape.

I am still slow, but I did get my PR! I shaved about 1 min/mile off my previous 5k, so I'll take it! :cool1:

indygirl99 said:
Yes it was. Was your walking group there?

Plus the medals are really nice. Not as nice as Disney but still impressive.

no, I did the Shamrock 5k with a friend who is registered for the new Disney 10k over Labor Day weekend so she wanted to see where she was for pacing.

I've only done one Uberthon, the Run for Kyron so no medals, but it was a good event.

no, I did the Shamrock 5k with a friend who is registered for the new Disney 10k over Labor Day weekend so she wanted to see where she was for pacing.

I've only done one Uberthon, the Run for Kyron so no medals, but it was a good event.

DH said he would walk whichever race I decided to do. I didn't think he was up to 35,000 of my best friends running :lmao: so we did the Luckython out in Aloha.

It was capped at 500 initially AND everyone got a medal no matter if you walked, ran or crawled. So I thought this was the better option for DH. Plus I was determined to conquer this course, and I like bling.

Keahgirl, I probably saw you at the 5k! It was a great course, I really loved it. and I got a picture with Jackie while Dan was performing behind us. She was really sweet and they both looked like they are still in great shape.

I am still slow, but I did get my PR! I shaved about 1 min/mile off my previous 5k, so I'll take it! :cool1:

Awesome! It was so much fun! I loved running across the bridge and into the park!

I had thought about doing that one but then ended up registering for Run or Dye instead...and now I'm skipping that one anyway cause we're gonna go to the shelter and look for a new doggie instead.

Did you find a dog?

It was a great race. We ran through downtown, and alongside the river. Nice scenery and pretty level surface. I thought I had started out too fast and would tire out before I was finished, but I didn't! I actually ran my personal best time, 35:48! This was at a 3:1 run/walk.

Congrats on the PR!! And you should do Tink next year again.

I ran my 10K in the 40 degree rain. My fingers are still not thawed out. This is the course that I had trouble with last October and only completed 5K. Today after it pouring rain all of mile 3 I was so wanting to stop after just 5K but I kept going. Wasn't my best time but I DID complete the whole 10K.

The race was at a golf course so we had a bunch of hills. Not the nice long incline but some pretty steep ups and down. And I'm not really fond of hills in any form but now I can say I did it. :cool1:

Congrats on finishing and pushing through ~ sometimes it's harder to do that than the distance.

Hi! :wave2: So glad I found this thread! I'll be running the Tinker Bell in 2014. It'll be my first half marathon -- I'm so excited! Looking forward to following along with all of your updates here. :goodvibes

:wave2: Welcome!!You are going to have so much fun at the race!!

Yay PR!!! :yay: See and you were worried about the race!!

I didn't do anything last week, no gym, no running, no nothing, just to enjoy 1 more week w/ nothing before I start training again this week. Went a little stir crazy, but it was kinda nice not doing anything and to wake up Sat and Sun w/o a run to do. But I start up again tomorrow w/ a short run and gym or dance class tomorrow night.

Kim - no no doggie yet. Might go back during the week though. Its crazy how they have new dogs every day.

Yay PR!!! :yay: See and you were worried about the race!!

I didn't do anything last week, no gym, no running, no nothing, just to enjoy 1 more week w/ nothing before I start training again this week. Went a little stir crazy, but it was kinda nice not doing anything and to wake up Sat and Sun w/o a run to do. But I start up again tomorrow w/ a short run and gym or dance class tomorrow night.

I know, right?

What's up next for you, Kim? What are you training for?

I'm trying to twist my sister's arm into signing up for W&D to get our C2C this year. The problem is... going all the way to Florida means I really need to take my whole family and make this a big trip. That means my DH, my (by then 4 yo) DD, my sister and her BF, and my mom and dad. None of us can really afford it, but if I can snag a 3 or 4 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and cook a lot of meals in our lodging, then maybe we can swing it.

Airfare is a killer, though. :headache:

I should read all 1596 posts (ha!) to find this answer....but what hotel is closest? Im thinking of splerging and getting a room on site.
Thank you!
Stacy :)

Kim - no no doggie yet. Might go back during the week though. Its crazy how they have new dogs every day.

I guess that's some what good that you have choices, but that's way more sad that they have dogs coming in every day. :( Good luck with your looking!

What's up next for you, Kim? What are you training for?

I'm trying to twist my sister's arm into signing up for W&D to get our C2C this year. The problem is... going all the way to Florida means I really need to take my whole family and make this a big trip. That means my DH, my (by then 4 yo) DD, my sister and her BF, and my mom and dad. None of us can really afford it, but if I can snag a 3 or 4 bedroom at Wyndham Bonnet Creek and cook a lot of meals in our lodging, then maybe we can swing it.

Airfare is a killer, though. :headache:

My next race is the Mission City 5k at Great America. Are you ready for this ~ it's a 5k race, you get a shirt and a medal and entrance into GA for the day and it's only $45!! After that it's the Color Run in SJ and Bay to Breakers in May and the Dumbo race in Sept. And I just found out a week and a 1/2 ago that I got into the NYC Marathon in Nov, super excited about that one. Like you, I haven't done much since Tink ~ I got a cold about a week after and finally got over it last week. So I need to build my base and leg strength back up again. Plus, I really want to kill this one; it's kinda like my Boston.

As for W&D... if you can afford it, I say go for it! I get the $ thing, it's expensive and for that many people... :faint: Have you looked at maybe renting points for a DVC big suite? For airfare, that's a tough one. I lucked out and went through SJC and it was $250/rt. Are you flying in and out of Sac or is SFO an option?

I should read all 1596 posts (ha!) to find this answer....but what hotel is closest? Im thinking of splerging and getting a room on site.
Thank you!
Stacy :)

Closest resort hotel is the Paradise Hotel, staging area and finish are in the parking lot. Non-resort hotel is Best Western Stovall's which is across the street from the parking lot. Right now, Stovall rooms are open and around $90-95 and PPH will be around $230-250.

kim3339 said:
Closest resort hotel is the Paradise Hotel, staging area and finish are in the parking lot. Non-resort hotel is Best Western Stovall's which is across the street from the parking lot. Right now, Stovall rooms are open and around $90-95 and PPH will be around $230-250.

Thanks. I like to stay at CCI, how much closer is BW?
I'm only concerned due to the EARLY start time.

Thanks. I like to stay at CCI, how much closer is BW?
I'm only concerned due to the EARLY start time.

Stovall's is way closer to the start. It's on the corner of Katella and DL Drive. The start line is on DL Drive where the monorail crosses over the street. From Stovall's it's no more than 1/4 mile to the start and from the finish, it's across the street. From CCI, you would have to walk down Katella to DL Drive and then down to the start - the Katella block to DL drive is about 1/2 mile, so about 3/4 to the start. Depending on what corral you're in, at Stovall's you could even stay in your hotel until 4:30-4:45. And the nice thing is that b/c the hotel is across the street from the finish, if you normally do a drop bag, you really don't to b/c you just have to cross the street.

Hope that helps!

Question about stovalls- what's up after the race? Can you describe the route back to hotel room? I heard there were issues first year but easier last year- but not sure I followed what the issues were

Trying to stay at PPH again, but have stovalls booked as a back up!

Question about stovalls- what's up after the race? Can you describe the route back to hotel room? I heard there were issues first year but easier last year- but not sure I followed what the issues were

I didn't encounter any issues after the race last year. Then again, I was one of the last finishers. :lmao: The issue could have been the course had us running across DL drive into the parking lot, but the exit to leave the finish line staging area was north of the course, thereby effectively blocking the route back to Stovalls, which is south of the parking lot we finished in. At least, this is what I envision could have been the problem. Can anyone else weigh in?

My next race is the Mission City 5k at Great America. Are you ready for this ~ it's a 5k race, you get a shirt and a medal and entrance into GA for the day and it's only $45!! After that it's the Color Run in SJ and Bay to Breakers in May and the Dumbo race in Sept. And I just found out a week and a 1/2 ago that I got into the NYC Marathon in Nov, super excited about that one. Like you, I haven't done much since Tink ~ I got a cold about a week after and finally got over it last week. So I need to build my base and leg strength back up again. Plus, I really want to kill this one; it's kinda like my Boston.

As for W&D... if you can afford it, I say go for it! I get the $ thing, it's expensive and for that many people... :faint: Have you looked at maybe renting points for a DVC big suite? For airfare, that's a tough one. I lucked out and went through SJC and it was $250/rt. Are you flying in and out of Sac or is SFO an option?

The Mission City race sounds great. I haven't been to Great America since my one and only visit waaaaaay back in the late 80s. How is it as a theme park?

I've been kicking around the idea of Bay to Breakers. I think the party atmosphere would be a riot, I just don't feel the need to see all the nudity. :blush:

And the NYC Marathon?!!??! CONGRATS!!!!! :cheer2: I bet you'll slay that thing, no problem.

Still wishing about W&D. Could use a little pixiedust:

Like Jessica said, with changing the course the way they did, it kinda opened DL Drive up. If you remember the end this year, we came out of the backside parking lot/road of DCA and crossed the street straight into the parking lot w/ the little loop. The year before, we turned left on DL Drive to Katella and right onto Katella and then into the parking lot. So b/c it was along the course vs cutting across the course they were making people walk all the way around. I'm with you though, playing around w/ staying at PPH and Stovall's as back up, we'll see.

The Mission City race sounds great. I haven't been to Great America since my one and only visit waaaaaay back in the late 80s. How is it as a theme park?

I've been kicking around the idea of Bay to Breakers. I think the party atmosphere would be a riot, I just don't feel the need to see all the nudity. :blush:

Still wishing about W&D. Could use a little pixiedust:

Oh my gosh ~ GA, have only been once since the late 90s and even that was like 2000 or so. It was actually my 1st job when I was a teenager and when I went back in '00 it had completely changed and I was looking at the map and it looks like it's changed again. They took out the Tidal Wave, that was one of my fave rides. :sad1: They also took out the ride that was like 3 circles w/ cages that were kinda like a mini ferris wheel. It'll definitely be interesting to check it out, plus the race will be over before the park opens so you get the whole day in the park.

You should totally do B2B!! I remember hearing they banned nudity last year or the year before. There might be a little, but not crazy like it used to be. But I'm like you, I don't need to see nude people running.

pixiedust: for W&D!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter