Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

Just back from my cruise on the Disney Fantasy, it was a blast!!!! I ran the CC5K in 34 mins by myself my husband who is my encouragement and pacer had to stay with my daughter. I couldnt really run on the ship since it was rocking so much Deck 4 was closed and I know I would have fallen off the treadmill...so now back to training!

Nice job running on vacation! :) Great time too!

I've got a long run this weekend and slightly dreading it already. ha ha ha. It needs to be 10+ I have planned it for 12, but honestly, once I hit 10 if I am feeling like I expect to, I'll be calling it good! It's just that time of year where 1)tired of training 2)tons of
stuff" to do

I'd really like to do the 12 and then one more long of run 12-14, but if it doesn't happen I can make the 10 work for me. I'll have to, right?

How are the injuries? Everyone check in! We are in the home stretch here!

In another 2 weeks we should have waivers and course (I hope!) and all that good stuff.

Course issue--- something that I'm a little concerned about now. The hours were released for Sunday and DCA opens at 8am for EMH that morning. I wonder if they will be changing the course to accommodate this? Last year the end of the run was through DCA (and I was hoping we would get a Carsland detour this year!) but with the EMH and the sheer numbers of people heading right to CL, I wonder if we will see a different map.

Race starts at 5, but there are certainly people who will be out there until almost 9.

Come on Disney! We wanna see the course!

Nice job running on vacation! :) Great time too!

I've got a long run this weekend and slightly dreading it already. ha ha ha. It needs to be 10+ I have planned it for 12, but honestly, once I hit 10 if I am feeling like I expect to, I'll be calling it good! It's just that time of year where 1)tired of training 2)tons of
stuff" to do

I'd really like to do the 12 and then one more long of run 12-14, but if it doesn't happen I can make the 10 work for me. I'll have to, right?

How are the injuries? Everyone check in! We are in the home stretch here!

In another 2 weeks we should have waivers and course (I hope!) and all that good stuff.

Course issue--- something that I'm a little concerned about now. The hours were released for Sunday and DCA opens at 8am for EMH that morning. I wonder if they will be changing the course to accommodate this? Last year the end of the run was through DCA (and I was hoping we would get a Carsland detour this year!) but with the EMH and the sheer numbers of people heading right to CL, I wonder if we will see a different map.

Race starts at 5, but there are certainly people who will be out there until almost 9.

Now I really want to see the map!!! I too was hoping for a Carsland detour! Come on disney! Dont keep us waiting!

Injury report: 4 more days left of my two week rest. Leg has felt good the last 3 days. And I've learned a neat little trick...if I ride the bike for 30+ minutes the shin pain goes away by the next day! Soooo these next few weeks I'll definitely be working the bike riding in on my non run days. If I add one mile to my long run each week I'll have done 9 miles as my longest by the time Tink is here. I can make that work if I have to.

Question for you guys...for your long runs, how much distance do you add each week? I was doing a mile just to be safe. Think it would be ok if I did more than that? Like maybe 1.5 or 2 tops?

Hi guys. I haven't even done a run since the W&D so I really need to get in gear. Went to running store yesterday and bought new shoes. Yea me! Hoping this will stop the blister forming on my right big toe during long runs. The store salesperson said that there's a good chance the blister was a sign that my shoes had lost stability. They were 5 years old...

So now I have to brave the cold and rain or commit to the treadmill.

I too can't wait for the course. Come on already! It makes me think there will be changes bc otherwise the approvals and plans would have been in place from 2012 race and they should have released it. The fact that it still isn't out makes me think their waiting for approval on something.

Yes, please, forward me the email; do you still have my address after the last time? I can't figure out WHY I'm not getting them! :mad: I know they have my email because I received my registration confirmation, but not a peep since then.

Jessica ~ I'm so sorry I forgot to email you last week, I just sent it to you. As for emails, they're always weird. I know people who've been running the DL 1 since the first year and don't get them. I usually get them at my yahoo and hotmail account, and for Tink, I'm just getting them at hotmail.

What are the Expo hours usually? Still not sure which day we're coming in but I'm hoping for Friday.

Either 10 or 12 to around 7 or 8. Last year was I think 10-8, but the 5k was at night on Fri. This year w/ the 5k Sat, it could be like the DL Expo which opens at 12 and goes to I think 7, maybe 8.

Here's my thought if they have DCA opening at 8 ~ we could start the course like last year entering DL 1st, and instead of turning up DTD to Walnut we cross the promenade and go into DCA, run around there and then go up DTD to Walnut. At the end of the race instead of running through DCA, b/c we already have, we do what we do in Sept and go in the old parking lot and along the outside of the DCA to Disneyland Dr and then to Katella and Harbor. That way, we get both parks but do them early and they can still open at 8 w/ no problems. Or, they keep the course the same just keep the course blocked off and still open at 8 and park people just go around us like for the marathon in WDW. But I don't really see that being safe w/ everyone running to Cars Land b/c it's still "new". Too many people won't care that we're running, they just want to get on the rides. Fingers crossed we'll get the course before or w/ our waivers.

Question for you guys...for your long runs, how much distance do you add each week? I was doing a mile just to be safe. Think it would be ok if I did more than that? Like maybe 1.5 or 2 tops?

I usually do around a mile or mile and a half. They usually say between 10-15% increase in mileage is good.

Finally booked my flight home for Sunday night. I was holding out and hoping prices would go down, but no go. :sad1: That's okay though, got on the last flight out so I can still play after the race until around 5 or so. So now, everything is done, just have to run and wait! I'm a DL girl and usually going to WDW is a big deal, but is it wrong to say I'm more excited about Tink than Goofy? I don't know, maybe b/c I know that when I hit Tink it'll all be over for a little bit or I just worried about finishing Goofy. :confused3 Either way, can't wait until next month!!

I really want one park at beginning and one at the end. So even if they swap DCA first and DL at the end I'd be happier!

I also add 1-1.5 to my long runs every other week. I'll go 12.5-12 this weekend I hope. :)

I really want one park at beginning and one at the end. So even if they swap DCA first and DL at the end I'd be happier!

Me too! It just gives you something to look forward to when you're starting to feel it around 9 or 10. "Just a little further more and I'm back in the park!" Plus, the scenery is better than the outside fence of DCA. :rotfl2:

I'm assuming a change of some sort since its taking a while for them to post it. Or Anaheim has picky zoning or something going on.

I'm hoping they split up the parks too. I NEED to know I have a park to run through at the end to keep me going. One at the start to get us pumped and one at the end to have something to look forward to. That is what I nearby decree. :thumbsup2

Okay, so I have absolutely no say in this but that is what I want darn it! LOL! :rotfl:

indygirl99 said:
Went out with my galloway group for my long run today. Was supposed to be an 8 miler.

Started good, no rain, 40 degrees, and I was the pacer :joker: did I say it started good? We did 30:30 and I knew I had to stay on pace and not go out fast as there was a new runner with the group. Yeah me for staying on the slower side pf the pace.

Did great till mile 4.5 when I got a wicked calf cramp, walked trying to get it to go away, which it did until I tried to run again at mile 5. No go so it was walk the rest of the distance. Took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up with 7.65 miles instead of 8.

Finished in 2:18. Not bad for having walked the last 3ish miles. :cheer2:

Now I'm sitting here freezing my tushy off, whats with that?

Good job! I've been gone for the whole month of November with trips and haven't done any distance since The Wine & Dine 1/2. I'm still fighting left calf issues but I hope to see you on Saturday.

I just went and checked the official site and while there is still no map there is this course description

The course for this race packed with pixie dust will begin on Disneyland Drive where runners will pass under Downtown Disney® on their way into Disney California Adventure® Park. Runners will experience the glitz and glamour of the Park's Hollywood Boulevard, before racing down Route 66 into Cars Land, and winding around the glistening Paradise Bay. The race will continue down the famed Main Street U.S.A. and pass the home of Tinker Bell and her pixie pals, Pixie Hollow, before it makes its way around the Rivers of America. After Disneyland® Park, the race will cut through Downtown Disney® by the Disneyland® Hotel and then it is on to the City of Anaheim. Runners will race through the enchanting, historic neighborhoods of downtown Anaheim, down the Anaheim Center Street Promenade and past Anaheim Ice on their way towards City Hall. Before returning to the Disneyland® Resort runners make their way past the Anaheim GardenWalk, and then it's time for their "Fairy"-tale finish near Disney's Paradise Pier® Hotel.

So it sounds like we are doing both parks right at the beginning. Drat!

Ugh. Yeah, that's new info.

I'm pretty sad about it. It's like eating dessert and finishing with Brussel sprouts. :(

But carsland in the dark will be pretty sweet.

Ugh. Yeah, that's new info.

I'm pretty sad about it. It's like eating dessert and finishing with Brussel sprouts. :(

But carsland in the dark will be pretty sweet.

That's EXACTLY what its like. Oh well, we'll just have to find something else to look forward to at the end. :thumbsup2

That's EXACTLY what its like. Oh well, we'll just have to find something else to look forward to at the end. :thumbsup2

LOL I'm sure there will be SOMETHING that might be worth finishing strong for! :banana::thumbsup2

Ah well, it's still better than running a half through just Anaheim, right? I wonder how many miles will actually be in the parks and DTD. Can I just run that section twice? :rotfl2:

I wonder how many miles will actually be in the parks and DTD. Can I just run that section twice?

Not many. But ya, I'm good to just loop contentiously! Lets just skip Anaheim all together and run up and down Route 66 and then over and back and forth through the castle! Think they'd let us do that? LOL! :cheer2:

I'll still do 13.1 so it should be legal and all. HA! I'm not normally a loop fan but I'd do a couple loops this way - it would keep me motivated and entertained at least!

I'm guessing the EMH at Carsland mucked things up a bit. Or maybe wanting to allow us to run through carsland might have forced a change as well.

Okay, I'm guessing it's going to look like the first 4 miles of the DL half course

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/eww...d-half-marathon/2012/2012-DLHM-Course-Map.pdf

Then instead of going out toward Ball Road, we turn down DL Dr and connect to the map where Tink 2012 picks up going through DTD on Magic Way.

http://as1.wdpromedia.com/media/eww...bell-half-marathon/2012 COA Course Map v2.pdf

Probably keep the same basic course for the Anaheim portion, but have to find an extra 2 miles we would lose at the end- either routing us back without going through parks or maybe extending some of the downtown Anaheim portion. Have us go out an extra mile before we double back like the mile 7 in 2012 map? Or go an extra block on Ball and straight down Lewis St?

I just went and checked the official site and while there is still no map there is this course description

So it sounds like we are doing both parks right at the beginning. Drat!

Ok so not what I was hoping for but I do like the part about running down Route 66!!! AND I still haven't seen Carsland at night so super excited to see that neon all lit up!

Did I tell you all that I ran 13.1 miles on Sunday?
I ran 13.1 miles on Sunday. :cool1:

Here it is:
Ran first 7 miles really well at a 10 minute pace (or so...)
Then stopped and got some water. I kept the timer running to simulate the actual race... I mean, I want pictures, right?!?::yes::
Ran another 2 miles or so and got tired around mile 9. Started running 10:1 minute intervals.
Was at 11 miles at 2:22, so I feel great about that. Crapped out and walked the rest. Stopped at the store, too. All told, it took me 3:06 (average pace 14:23)

The best part was that I felt great! I mean, yes, I was sore. My feet still hurt a little. But there's nothing debilitating. I feel like I can go out and run another 8 miles tomorrow. (I'm not going to...)

I feel better about this because I'm going to Disneyland this weekend! No long run for me this weekend. :hyper:

Did I tell you all that I ran 13.1 miles on Sunday?
I ran 13.1 miles on Sunday. :cool1:

Here it is:
Ran first 7 miles really well at a 10 minute pace (or so...)
Then stopped and got some water. I kept the timer running to simulate the actual race... I mean, I want pictures, right?!?::yes::
Ran another 2 miles or so and got tired around mile 9. Started running 10:1 minute intervals.
Was at 11 miles at 2:22, so I feel great about that. Crapped out and walked the rest. Stopped at the store, too. All told, it took me 3:06 (average pace 14:23)

The best part was that I felt great! I mean, yes, I was sore. My feet still hurt a little. But there's nothing debilitating. I feel like I can go out and run another 8 miles tomorrow. (I'm not going to...)

I feel better about this because I'm going to Disneyland this weekend! No long run for me this weekend. :hyper:

Nicely done! Was that your first time running the half distance? If so, CONGRATS!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter