Tinker Bell ½ Marathon Weekend ~ 2014 Check-in!

Yoga is a great compliment to running. Go for it!

WW- yes, I have done it. It's a great program. Personally, I have had mixed results. When I was younger, it was awesome. Weight flew off, and I wasn't even working out very much (20-30 min aerobics videos) But the last couple of times I have used the program I haven't had much success, despite being VERY active and VERY accountable.

I blame 2 things: 1, age. It's just harder for me now to lose weight. 2, my activity level. WW is really built and geared for the not-too active person. So be careful with that if you plan to go this route. It's hard to find the point balance for someone who is training for a half marathon- don't want to eat too little but you don't want to eat too much either! I could never find the right balance (neither could the WW leaders- we were all very frustrated!)

The good thing (and also bad thing!) about WW is that you are not food restricted on they type of food you can eat, just the amounts. It really teaches you portion size. So if you want to eat cake and ice cream, you can! You just can't eat much more the rest of the day because you put your points toward cake. Make sense? It isn't the "healthiest" program because it does allow you to put in "bad" foods... but it can be the easiest program for someone to get started doing.

GL! I'm also trying to get 20-25 lbs off before Tinkerbell. So far, down 5 since the beginning of August. Slow for me- but I'm older, so I'm not surprised it's taking so long. Blasted body! Having babies just killed me... but worth it, of course! :)

I've been thinking of trying to add in some Yoga as well. Maybe after this disney trip I'll check some out on ondemand.

WW- yes, I have done it. It's a great program. Personally, I have had mixed results. When I was younger, it was awesome. Weight flew off, and I wasn't even working out very much (20-30 min aerobics videos) But the last couple of times I have used the program I haven't had much success, despite being VERY active and VERY accountable.

I blame 2 things: 1, age. It's just harder for me now to lose weight. 2, my activity level. WW is really built and geared for the not-too active person. So be careful with that if you plan to go this route. It's hard to find the point balance for someone who is training for a half marathon- don't want to eat too little but you don't want to eat too much either! I could never find the right balance (neither could the WW leaders- we were all very frustrated!)

The good thing (and also bad thing!) about WW is that you are not food restricted on they type of food you can eat, just the amounts. It really teaches you portion size. So if you want to eat cake and ice cream, you can! You just can't eat much more the rest of the day because you put your points toward cake. Make sense? It isn't the "healthiest" program because it does allow you to put in "bad" foods... but it can be the easiest program for someone to get started doing.

GL! I'm also trying to get 20-25 lbs off before Tinkerbell. So far, down 5 since the beginning of August. Slow for me- but I'm older, so I'm not surprised it's taking so long. Blasted body! Having babies just killed me... but worth it, of course! :)

Thank you for sharing your experience! I think I will see how well I can do on my own with food since WW doesn't compliment training. :)

Hey everyone! :wave2:

I just got in from a 7.5km run and it felt pretty good - bordering on easy so I'm thinking its time to bump up my mileage a bit. I have a 10km race coming in 3 weeks that I want to use as my proof of time and I'm trying to do it in under an hour. Not sure if that will happen but it should be close. I did my 7.5km in 45 mins today so if I keep my pace where it is I should make it.

Just wanted to share what I have started doing for some motivation. I got his idea from another message board I'm on so I can't take credit for it but I've started paying myself for mileage. For each km I run I put $1 in a jar. I get to use that money for fitness related stuff like a race entry fee, a piece of workout gear that I don't really need but I want, etc. Right now I'm saving for another destination race....maybe the Wine and Dine 1/2 in November so I can get my Coast 2 Coast.

Just sharing in case anyone else needs a little extra motivation like I do sometimes!

Just wanted to share what I have started doing for some motivation. I got his idea from another message board I'm on so I can't take credit for it but I've started paying myself for mileage. For each km I run I put $1 in a jar. I get to use that money for fitness related stuff like a race entry fee, a piece of workout gear that I don't really need but I want, etc. Right now I'm saving for another destination race....maybe the Wine and Dine 1/2 in November so I can get my Coast 2 Coast.

Just sharing in case anyone else needs a little extra motivation like I do sometimes!

That's an awesome idea! If only I kept track of my mileage...

Couple of things for me:
1. Strength training: I screwed this one up. I ran stairs last Friday. 15 flights of stairs. Twice. Just today, I can walk again without limping. I've been stretching only for the past 5 days.

2. I need to learn to run with a camera. I realized that during Tink, I'll have to take pictures, so look for more "running pics" in my posts.

3. Someone else here has to talk with me about running with the stroller. Sometimes, DD doesn't let me leave the house without me taking her with me. However, the stroller slows me down, and I just can't get into a good pace with it. Anyone have any suggestions?

Keep up the good training!

Hey everyone! :wave2:

I just got in from a 7.5km run and it felt pretty good - bordering on easy so I'm thinking its time to bump up my mileage a bit. I have a 10km race coming in 3 weeks that I want to use as my proof of time and I'm trying to do it in under an hour. Not sure if that will happen but it should be close. I did my 7.5km in 45 mins today so if I keep my pace where it is I should make it.

DH and I "pay" each other for exercise. We get $5 for each exercise time that last at least 30 min and takes us out of the house. I will be using my money for the expo at Tink and if there is any left it will go toward a future race.

DH and I "pay" each other for exercise. We get $5 for each exercise time that last at least 30 min and takes us out of the house. I will be using my money for the expo at Tink and if there is any left it will go toward a future race.

Excellent! I like that idea too!

Frustrated...since Sundays run my shin splints (hope thats all they are!) have been bothering me. Tried to run last night and had to stop and walk home after a minute. I'm sure I could have pushed through it but it felt different, like I'd be doing more harm than good if I continued. Iced it last night and will ice the next couple nights. I was planning on one more run before we leave for Disney but I think I"m gonna skip that and just rest it until after Disneyland. So that will give it a 10 day rest since I really haven't run since Sunday. If its still too painful to run then I guess I'll be making a Dr. appt. The only good thing is that Tink is still pretty far away, plenty of time to train still. Nike is a few weeks away but I'm not concerned with time for that one so I can walk as much as I need to then.

Frustrated...since Sundays run my shin splints (hope thats all they are!) have been bothering me. Tried to run last night and had to stop and walk home after a minute. I'm sure I could have pushed through it but it felt different, like I'd be doing more harm than good if I continued. Iced it last night and will ice the next couple nights. I was planning on one more run before we leave for Disney but I think I"m gonna skip that and just rest it until after Disneyland. So that will give it a 10 day rest since I really haven't run since Sunday. If its still too painful to run then I guess I'll be making a Dr. appt. The only good thing is that Tink is still pretty far away, plenty of time to train still. Nike is a few weeks away but I'm not concerned with time for that one so I can walk as much as I need to then.

Oh no! I am so sorry to hear you are having trouble with shin splints. There are some exercises you can do to really help them. A good physiotherapist can be a lifesaver with running injuries. Resting them is a good idea....and a trip to Disneyland will make anything better!

I hear ya! I think the walking at Disneyland may help. Just remember to strech every night.:hug:

I apologize if this is against this DIS rules and I will remove it if so, but I just wanted to share something with y'all here:

My friend Rebecca Walker has recently registered to fundraise for Tinkerbell 1/2 for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention. She recently lost a very good friend to suicide and therefore has decided to run for this cause.

http://afsp.donordrive.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=335285

Thank you for your support. If you cannot contribute financially, please consider dropping by her blog or page simply to leave a kind thought :) She is a very dedicated and determined mom, runner and person.

Hey all.....we fell back to page 4 there so wanted to bump us back up.

Is anyone doing the Princess 1/2 in Feb in WDW to get their C2C? I'm seriously considering that one instead of the Wine and Dine next Nov. I was just thinking that I'll already be trained up for the distance so instead of cutting back my mileage over the summer because of the heat then building back up for Nov I'll be able to just keep up at around the same distance and get them both done at once. Thoughts? Am I out of my mind?

10.5 kms today! Woohoo! Getting closer....

Hey all.....we fell back to page 4 there so wanted to bump us back up.

Is anyone doing the Princess 1/2 in Feb in WDW to get their C2C? I'm seriously considering that one instead of the Wine and Dine next Nov. I was just thinking that I'll already be trained up for the distance so instead of cutting back my mileage over the summer because of the heat then building back up for Nov I'll be able to just keep up at around the same distance and get them both done at once. Thoughts? Am I out of my mind?

10.5 kms today! Woohoo! Getting closer....

I did that this year. It was a lot of fun, although it did seem a little backwards not getting my C2C on my "home" court. Go for it!

I did that this year. It was a lot of fun, although it did seem a little backwards not getting my C2C on my "home" court. Go for it!

I don't really have a home court as I don't live in the US but I am closer to DL and have had way more trips there so I guess I'd have to claim DL as "home". I hear what you're saying about not getting it at home...

That's what I'm doing and for the same reasons! I don't have it in me to train up over the summer for DL half (live in Tx) so this sounded like my best bet!

I've done the Princess the past 2 years and consider WDW my home park (lived in Orlando so I know it best!)

I figure I train up for Tink then need one long run in between the two races. I can't wait!!!

I think that is a really good idea. I would love to do that also and even looked at how I coud schedule myself at work so that I could do both for my C2C.

Unfortunately my training has been put on hiatus for a few weeks until I can get my asthma back under control. So am going to have to fall back on doing tink and the Wine and dine or wait until next year and do Tink and the princesses.

Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Princess, prices go up this week! I think on Wed, but not 100% sure on that. So if you are looking to save a little, pull the trigger and register! :)

Just a heads up for anyone interested in the Princess, prices go up this week! I think on Wed, but not 100% sure on that. So if you are looking to save a little, pull the trigger and register! :)

I'm so close to pulling the trigger but I called about pricing for room and theme park tickets....plus international airfare and race registration....I'm looking at about $2500 for this race! :headache:

I don't know what to do! Someone talk me into it or out of it!

I could easily talk you into it... buuuutttt... that's a heck of a lot of money! If it's a one time event though, and it won't put you on the streets, I'd consider it. Have you thought about staying offsite except for night of race to cut down on hotel costs?

I could easily talk you into it... buuuutttt... that's a heck of a lot of money! If it's a one time event though, and it won't put you on the streets, I'd consider it. Have you thought about staying offsite except for night of race to cut down on hotel costs?

I've never stayed off property and I've been a number of times (see my siggie) and I'm not sure I know how to do that! lol!

That is the cost for staying at POP. I've been playing with the numbers and its so much cheeper to fly mid week that it pretty much cancels out the cost of the extra nights at the hotel. I can stay for 6 nights (wed-tues) for the same price as 3 nights (thurs-sun). It takes a full 12-14 hours of travel time to get there and back with international flights, connections, etc so I'd have to arrive on Thursday (although flights don't land until 1130pm - wish I could get a discount for only using the room for half a night! LOL!) because if I didn't arrive until friday at midnight I couldn't get to the expo to collect race package for the 5km.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter