**Tie Dye Mickey ears shirts directions**NEW NEW PICS LAST PAGE**

Thanks for the replies. I did read the whole thread but with an almost 2 year old tucking at me all the time I'm sure I missed the answers to my question.

I didn't have rolls of floss around here so I used double thread. I tried single but when I went to cinge it tight the thread popped so I have to redo my mouse.

I have 2 more shirts to thread and we are starting on the "good" stuff.
I have never tied dyed anything before so this should be interesting.

Stayed tuned LOL

Love these! They are so much brighter than mine. I used tulip dye and the have the faded look, old/warn look. I used sold ash and urea. Do the dharma dye really make a difference? I want them to be bright. Ay suggestions would be great I have tried it 4 times already, with urea and with out and the results are the same.

Yes dharma dyes make ALL the difference! Worth every penny.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I am finishing up with the tie dye process; I should be done by 7pm tonight but just realized I'm going away tomorrow at 3pm and won't be home until Friday morning.

Would it be ok to leave the shirts in the bag until I get back? The tulip dye says soak for 6 to 8 hours but every other place I look it says 24 hours. I'm thinking the extra time soaking might be nice.

I can put them in the refrige until I get back so they don't dry out.

What do you think?

I am finishing up with the tie dye process; I should be done by 7pm tonight but just realized I'm going away tomorrow at 3pm and won't be home until Friday morning.

Would it be ok to leave the shirts in the bag until I get back? The tulip dye says soak for 6 to 8 hours but every other place I look it says 24 hours. I'm thinking the extra time soaking might be nice.

I can put them in the refrige until I get back so they don't dry out.

What do you think?

I've left mine in Ziplok bags for a week. :laundy: They turned out great. Good luck!!

I've left mine in Ziplok bags for a week. :laundy: They turned out great. Good luck!!

Perfect thanks.
Mine are each in a "shopping" bags. Is that OK or should I transfer them into ziplocks?

Forget it I transfered them. Why mess with something that worked for you LOL. Now to figure out how to get this dye off my handsLOL

Perfect thanks.
Mine are each in a "shopping" bags. Is that OK or should I transfer them into ziplocks?

Forget it I transfered them. Why mess with something that worked for you LOL. Now to figure out how to get this dye off my handsLOL

After I dye I find it's always time to clean the bathrooms with Clorox Cleanup!! Funny how that works out! :rolleyes1 Good luck!!

LOL I did them in my kitchen sink and it did need a cleaning anyway. I don't like the feel of brillo so hubby cleans the sink. I went ahead and suffered through cleaning it myself tonight. Shhh don't tell him or he will expect me to do that all the time. LOL

LOL I did them in my kitchen sink and it did need a cleaning anyway. I don't like the feel of brillo so hubby cleans the sink. I went ahead and suffered through cleaning it myself tonight. Shhh don't tell him or he will expect me to do that all the time. LOL

Lol!! It's "our" little secret!!

I left the shirts until Thursday afternoon. The Mickey looks pretty good but I want to go around the "stencil" with a stain pen.

I bought TIDE TO gO instant Stain remover and CLOROX PEN gel for white.

Which one is better to use? I was thinking the gel might to too fat.

Well I finished the shirts. They didn't come out like I thought they would but at least I'm done LOL

Things I learned as I finished.
1. After you finish basting your mickey head/ears don't cut the "extra" thread off, use "extra" thread to wrap around your Mickey head/ears.
2. Use 1 rubber band around your Mickey head/ears tight as you can get it.
3. Use another 1 about a half inch below that one so you have a "hue" around your Mickey head/ears.
4. After you make your donut make sure you get inside the folds. My shirts were soaked and dripping I thought I had enough dye on them to soak through but as you can see I didn't.
5. Use a skinny bleach pen AFTER you wash and dry the tie dye shirts. Even though I sort of like the florescent look of some of the Mickey head/ears I do wish they were skinner

http://s381.photobucket.com/user/nutz4dizney/slideshow/Mickey Tie Dye Shirts 1st try

Well I finished the shirts. They didn't come out like I thought they would but at least I'm done LOL

Things I learned as I finished.
1. After you finish basting your mickey head/ears don't cut the "extra" thread off, use "extra" thread to wrap around your Mickey head/ears.
2. Use 1 rubber band around your Mickey head/ears tight as you can get it.
3. Use another 1 about a half inch below that one so you have a "hue" around your Mickey head/ears.
4. After you make your donut make sure you get inside the folds. My shirts were soaked and dripping I thought I had enough dye on them to soak through but as you can see I didn't.
5. Use a skinny bleach pen AFTER you wash and dry the tie dye shirts. Even though I sort of like the florescent look of some of the Mickey head/ears I do wish they were skinner

http://s381.photobucket.com/user/nutz4dizney/slideshow/Mickey Tie Dye Shirts 1st try

Thank you so much for your tips. I think your shirts look fabulous!!!! I did these for our trip last December and none of mine turned out as good as yours did.

I'd love any advise on Christmas colored shirts......Mine last year turned out horribly. :( I used red and green, of course....but tried separating the two colors with a gold color, thinking I'd avoid the mixing of two complimentary colors (which is a misnomer, btw). :rotfl2: I would like to keep with the colors of red and green.....anyone have any ideas or can anyone link me to their christmas tye-dye shirts?

I posted some pics of our Christmas shirts back on page 110. I used Dharma fire red and I think forest green- I'd have to double check the green to be sure. I didn't really have any trouble with the colors getting muddy, even though they seemed like they were overlapping when I put the dye on. Once they were washed, they looked great!

I posted some pics of our Christmas shirts back on page 110. I used Dharma fire red and I think forest green- I'd have to double check the green to be sure. I didn't really have any trouble with the colors getting muddy, even though they seemed like they were overlapping when I put the dye on. Once they were washed, they looked great!

Oh, these are so nice! How did you not run the red and green together? I like your shirts. So once you have your shirt swirled like a donut, how many pieces of pie did you divide your shirt in (rubber bands)? I'm willing to give mine another go of it for this year. lol.....last year's shirts for WDW were a bust......this year we are going to Disneyland in DEcember :thumbsup2 Do tell!

I left the shirts until Thursday afternoon. The Mickey looks pretty good but I want to go around the "stencil" with a stain pen.

I bought TIDE TO gO instant Stain remover and CLOROX PEN gel for white.

Which one is better to use? I was thinking the gel might to too fat.

You definitely need the clorox pen for the outline, the stain remover won't do anything just like it doesn't take the color out of a normal dyed shirt. The gel is pretty thick but it does some out in a fat line. Try a little just on a piece of scrap paper and you'll get an idea of how it'll flow from the pen so you aren't surprised. I didn't find that my bleached outline was too wide though, on a dry shirt it doesn't bleed that much and I just kept an eye on mine until I saw it lightening to wear I wanted. Some went faster than others.

Oh, these are so nice! How did you not run the red and green together? I like your shirts. So once you have your shirt swirled like a donut, how many pieces of pie did you divide your shirt in (rubber bands)? I'm willing to give mine another go of it for this year. lol.....last year's shirts for WDW were a bust......this year we are going to Disneyland in DEcember :thumbsup2 Do tell!
Thanks! I divide my shirts into 6 sections of "pie." I try not to overlap my colors when I apply the dye, but if it does its usually ok. I also don't soak my shirts with dye so that they're dripping. I kind of take my time to let the dye saturate the shirts so I don't overdo it. Good luck with your next attempt! It does take practice...

I hardly ever post but, I would like to share the first shirts my hubby and I made this week. We are really happy with the mickey heads and I don't think we will use the bleach pen this time around. I used the tulip colors from Joanns and I did pre soak in ash prior to dying. I am happy with the colors, but next time I think we will add more dye between the folds..

Thanks for all the pictures and great advice on this thread!

The colors look washed out in the pictures, IRL they are darker.. =)

My shirt

My Hubby's shirt

My Father in law found out we were doing mickey shirts and requested a tank top.. His mickey head is the best.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter