**Tie Dye Mickey ears shirts directions**NEW NEW PICS LAST PAGE**

PixieDust32 - do you recommend soaking in soda ash after you tie off Mickey's head but before you make the "danish" or is it better to do all your twisting/banding and then soak in soda ash? I'm so excited to order supplies and get started :cool1:

PixieDust32 - do you recommend soaking in soda ash after you tie off Mickey's head but before you make the "danish" or is it better to do all your twisting/banding and then soak in soda ash? I'm so excited to order supplies and get started :cool1:

Whatever is easier for you, it doesn't really matter as long as they are soaked.

I am so excited! After reading page after page in this thread and others like it around the internet, I finally made my first batch of Mickey Tie Dye shirts and I couldn't be happier with the results.

I used the dye from Dharma Trading as well as their soda ash and urea. THe colors are bright and exactly as I hoped they would be. My second batch (different colors) is processing as I type and will be ready to be rinsed later this evening. Thanks to everyone that has contributed to this blog for all of the very helpful information on what to do and not do. It probably saved me a lot of time and money and enabled me to get it right the first time around.

*** oh bummer! I didn't know you had to have 10 posts before you could post a link. I will be back to add it later!

20140324_120129.jpg

I thought I did everything exactly the same on my two batches of shirts but they came out quite different. I then realize that the first batch I rolled up after soaking and then let them sit overnight before dying them. Batch two, I soaked, rolled, and dyed right away. They must have been wetter because the dye did not penetrate as deeply into the folds and there is much more white.

The Mickey's, however, came out much more defined in the second batch. Now to figure out how to get the shirts dry enough and Mickey wet enough. Lol!

20140325_171227.jpg

Wow, these look awesome. You guys are so crafty.

BTW, PixieDust32 I sent you a PM about these. Thanks!

Pixidust- do you use a bleach pen at all to outline the mickey head?

Roxy's (Pixiedust32) outlines are the absolute best, aren't they?
What I have found to be the most successful way of getting a clean outline is to make REALLY close together stitches and also make sure that I have a good shape for the Mickey head!I mean if you stitch all out of whack, you're going to have bad shape!

Then the rubber bands to get the white outline. I've found that I don't necessarily need many, but rather focus on making them SUPER tight.

wd046wdw201406350587330_zpse2b1c5e1.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

Better late than never:) I did these for our Mardi Gras trip earlier this year. Posted to another board, thinking it was this one;P This was my first go, and unfortunately I had to use the bleach pen:( Oh, well. Lesson learned. I do want to give it another try when we go in October 2015 for MNSSHP!

I'm going to try to make these today. My girl scout troop is going the end of the month and thought that we should have matching shirts and thought these would be good. Wish me luck.

I have been inspired to give this a shot tomorrow. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I (admittedly) have not read through all 153 pages, but I was being lazy and just went to WalMart since the closest craft store is about 40 min away, and there was a dye kit that didn't require a presoak in soda ash. Should I be OK going without it?

edit: I just read back and realized that others had done the same with the same kit, and had ok results.

But now I'm a bit more confused with the Mickey ear part-- I'm just going to give it a shot and see what happens. Experience is the best teacher, right? :)

I have been inspired to give this a shot tomorrow. I apologize if this has been asked before, but I (admittedly) have not read through all 153 pages, but I was being lazy and just went to WalMart since the closest craft store is about 40 min away, and there was a dye kit that didn't require a presoak in soda ash. Should I be OK going without it?

edit: I just read back and realized that others had done the same with the same kit, and had ok results.

But now I'm a bit more confused with the Mickey ear part-- I'm just going to give it a shot and see what happens. Experience is the best teacher, right? :)

What do you need help with re: the mickey ears?

What do you need help with re: the mickey ears?

I couldn't figure out how to make them not look like big blobs.

My first go:
44N9oCj.jpg

And then today, I tried again (this is a pic post-bleach pen):
flvbRr1.jpg

It was a little better, but still not all that defined. I tried less ink, more ink, tighter stitches, tighter elastics, wider elastics, etc. I just couldn't get the outline to not bleed and felt that the detail I paid to stitching around the mickey heads was just a waste of time in the end. One of the next ideas was individually wrapping the ears, but truth be told I'm not sure I care enough since the bleach pen produces some cool effects.

I couldn't figure out how to make them not look like big blobs.

It was a little better, but still not all that defined. I tried less ink, more ink, tighter stitches, tighter elastics, wider elastics, etc. I just couldn't get the outline to not bleed and felt that the detail I paid to stitching around the mickey heads was just a waste of time in the end. One of the next ideas was individually wrapping the ears, but truth be told I'm not sure I care enough since the bleach pen produces some cool effects.

It's an art. :confused3
All I can is that really small stitches, TIGHT rubber bands and just enough dye has produced the best results for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!