Ticket upgrade to annual pass

This may have already been answered, but I just read this thread and didn't see it. Say free dining comes around next fall. DH and I decide we want to get APs because we're going to stay longer than 10 days. Can we purchase the minimum required ticket for the free dining promo, and then use those at GS do this whole thing to get APs?
Yep. lots of people do this

This may have already been answered, but I just read this thread and didn't see it. Say free dining comes around next fall. DH and I decide we want to get APs because we're going to stay longer than 10 days. Can we purchase the minimum required ticket for the free dining promo, and then use those at GS do this whole thing to get APs?

Sure.
But, you wouldn't really WANT to.

You'd want to buy 10-day tickets (to make 10 days of advance FP+) and not just the 2-day minimum.

So I'm leaving for WDW next week. If I have an UCT ticket that I want to upgrade to an annual pass.. Can I do that on the last day of our trip or do I need to do it before we enter the parks for the first time?

So I'm leaving for WDW next week. If I have an UCT ticket that I want to upgrade to an annual pass.. Can I do that on the last day of our trip or do I need to do it before we enter the parks for the first time?

Do it anytime you like.
The LATEST you can do it is close-of-business on the day that you use the LAST DAY of your ticket.

But, there is zero reason to wait.
If you do it on your first day there, you will get all of the benefits of AP ownership from the first day.

You can do it at any time until business close of your last day in the parks. Don't forget that there are discounts available with the ap that may save you money throughout your trip

Yes, but you'll want to purchase a ticket long enough to book the advance FP+ reservations for your trip.

If you do it on your first day there, you will get all of the benefits of AP ownership from the first day.
Plus, the sooner you do it, the more buffer you have if you find yourself with an undertrained or uncooperative CM at Guest Relations.

Correct.

This situation has happened recently where a shorter (required) Resort Package ticket was first upgraded to a 10-day ticket (and the ticket WAS price-bridged at that time) but the ticket was still never used at all. (The guest was actually using a current AP during that same trip.)
But, then, on the NEXT trip, the guest wanted to use that previously-upgraded 10 day ticket to help pay for a new AP.
There had been a ticket price increase during the interim time.
The guest wanted that 10-day ticket to be price-bridged (a second time) before it was upgraded to an AP.
Since that 10-day ticket had already been price-bridged once, it was no longer considered to be the original Resort Package ticket, and was not eligible to be price-bridged at the time of the AP upgrade.

(Incidentally, in the above case, the guest WAS given one-time-only "pixie dust" and was allowed the second price-bridging by a WDW manager.)

I think you might be referring to me! lol.. ya know, now that I have gleaned from your knowledge over the last few threads about this subject, I can see my error. I didn't know (or think) I was bridging the 2 day package ticket when I added the 8 days from home. I did that so I could make fast passes.

but I thought (cause cheshire figment said) you needed to use the ticket at the gate once in order to "bridge" it.. you have assured us this is not the case anymore.

so, in order to make fast passes, we should add the extra days to the 2-day tickets from home at 60 days out .. at that time, the price will be bridged. then when we get wdw we can upgrade the 10 day ticket to an AP.

(I assume I can't bridge it from home to an AP in order to make the fastpasses? or, if I can do that, my anniversary date would be the date I do that, not the first day I use the passes.?

(I'm thinking you must be sick of me by now and I am your worst nightmare! ;) thank you for your extreme patience)

I am a little nervous about my situation. I have a 6 day base ticket for my trip in Dec. I want to upgrade it to a DVC gold pass. It is my understanding that I should not do this until I enter the park for the last time on the last day which will be AK on Dec. 21 otherwise I will need a DVC platinum pass which I do not want to pay for or need. So I am using my base tickets for the Dec. trip then will upgrade to a DVC gold pass on my last day but will be unable to enter the park again until the black out time period is over. Any problems with this?

I am a little nervous about my situation. I have a 6 day base ticket for my trip in Dec. I want to upgrade it to a DVC gold pass. It is my understanding that I should not do this until I enter the park for the last time on the last day which will be AK on Dec. 21 otherwise I will need a DVC platinum pass which I do not want to pay for or need. So I am using my base tickets for the Dec. trip then will upgrade to a DVC gold pass on my last day but will be unable to enter the park again until the black out time period is over. Any problems with this?

This is my exact plan as well- we are going Dec 20-22 and then on the 22nd I plan to upgrade to the Gold pass for our summer trip. Everything I have founf says this worked last year so here's to hoping it works again this year! It's hard to know with the blackout dates so spread out.

so, in order to make fast passes, we should add the extra days to the 2-day tickets from home at 60 days out .. at that time, the price will be bridged.
Price bridging can't be done on the phone, I believe. If there was a price increase between the time you booked the package and when you wanted to add days to your ticket before trip, you would have to pay the price increase. To avoid the price increase, you'd have to wait until you arrive to price bridge the tickets (but you'd forfeit the advanced FP+ reservations for those extra days until the ticket was upgraded).

1. so, in order to make fast passes, we should add the extra days to the 2-day tickets from home at 60 days out ..
2. at that time, the price will be bridged.
3. then when we get wdw we can upgrade the 10 day ticket to an AP.
4. (I assume I can't bridge it from home to an AP in order to make the fastpasses? or,
5. if I can do that, my anniversary date would be the date I do that, not the first day I use the passes.?

1. Yes. BEFORE 60 days, would be the best.
2. No. Your 10-day tickets would still be "Resort Pkg. tickets, NOT purchased "directly from Disney."
3. Yes.
4. Change your ticket to AP on the resort reservation: Maybe. Maybe not.
But, this would NOT be a "price-bridge," regardless. It would simply be a change in your
Resort Package.
5. No.
As I said in another post, you cannot "start" an AP (begin its year of use) unless you are at WDW.

1. Price bridging can't be done on the phone, I believe.
If there was a price increase between the time you booked the package and when you wanted to add days to your ticket before trip,
2. you would have to pay the price increase.
3. To avoid the price increase, you'd have to wait until you arrive to price bridge the tickets (but you'd forfeit the advanced FP+ reservations for those extra days until the ticket was upgraded).

1. Correct, per se.
2. Likely yes, but there MIGHT be a bit of "pixie dust" involved.
If the ticket to which the guest was upgrading was still "in stock" at the old price,
the new price increase may not apply.
Although the specific situation described would be a very rare case.
3. Correct, in the circumstance that you describe.

Sure.
But, you wouldn't really WANT to.

You'd want to buy 10-day tickets (to make 10 days of advance FP+) and not just the 2-day minimum.

Oh, I get it! Next question, if we're staying for 15 days and want to make FP+ for all the days, can we do that? Or only the 10 days we have tix for?

Oh, I get it! Next question, if we're staying for 15 days and want to make FP+ for all the days, can we do that? Or only the 10 days we have tix for?
You can only make advnace FP+ reservations for the number of days for which you have valid admission. So, if you have a 10-day pass, you can make FP+ for 10 separate days. However, they do not need to be consecutive days. They just need to occur within a 14-day period (unless you have an old no-expiry pass).

1. they do not need to be consecutive days.

2.They just need to occur within a 14-day period (unless you have an old no-expiry pass).
1. Yup. Choose the days with the parks which have the most difficult to get FPs.

2. That might be true, but I'm not sure of that.

Hi all-
This is all very good information and no matter how much I read I'm still not sure tonight's bridging to APs was done correctly. The HS CM never heard of bridging and called it an upgrade. Does the value of my upgraded or bridged ticket include tax? Also, if this was wrongly done, can it be corrected?
Thank you!

Hi all-
This is all very good information and no matter how much I read I'm still not sure tonight's bridging to APs was done correctly. The HS CM never heard of bridging and called it an upgrade. Does the value of my upgraded or bridged ticket include tax? Also, if this was wrongly done, can it be corrected?
Thank you!

You need to know what the gate price of the ticket you started with is, as well as the price of the AP you upgraded to.

Thank you! I paid $343.83/hopper. The credit we were granted was $349.06. The published gate price is $345 pre-tax. It just doesn't feel right. Not sure. Thanks for any help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter