This Trip Broke The Bank. Update 11/26 Day 11: Why can't I get in the MK?

We will be at the AKL with dining plan. I like that it is a bit secluded. And I LOVE to have my coffee on the balcony with the giraffes. :cool1:

I have made an canceled a few different reservations....I am going back and forth between wanting to eat at certain restaurants, and wanting this to be totally relaxed and pressure free so the thought of feeling like I had to be somewhere at a certain time kind of gets to me...if that makes any sense. A few musts for me: Tonga Toast at Kona, a dinner at Boma...and a breakfast there on the day we depart. Have a resi at Chefs De France for lunch on a Saturday as we are meeting up with aFrench friend who will be in the states and are treating him to a day at Epcot. Have several restaurants I would love to try but don't want to over-schedule since we only really have 5 days. :sad2:

Hoping we can get a ticket once there to a MNSSHP event. Don't want to book in advance as my first choice of days is our arrival day on a Thursday but dont want to commit for fear we would have a missed connection on flights or weather delay that would mess that up. There is also a Sunday night party so that is do-able too.

Can't wait!:woohoo:

Aww, I'm sorry the Poly wasn't all you dreamed it would be. That's actually the way I felt about dinner at Ohana-- I had built it up to be this amazing meal and we actually hated it! (Except for dessert!) Definitely seems like you guys focused on the positives, though!
I legit laughed out loud re:Secretariat. The line about the grain and water did me in. Got a few coworkers to look up from their desks. Whoops. :upsidedow
Ack, crowded MK is no fun! Hope it cleared up!

LOVE the trip report and look forward to each and every update! I sooo sooo agree with your observations of Fantasy Land. It was a bummer for me to see all those walls up. I look forward to seeing what they have done in a couple of years, though, when I plan to take my next trip.

You guys vacation a lot like how we used to, before we had kids. I can see our itinerary and hotel choices being exactly like yours. I miss those days a LOT!

It looks like you are taking full advantage of your time together so good for you!

Thank you very much! We love vacations very much... we've got our next 3 or 4 already in the works!

Fantasyland was a bummer. I knew about the work being done but didn't realize that there was a giant dirt mountain completely visible 'hidden' only by a boring wood wall. I guess it will make us all appreciate it that much more when it reopens!

We will be at the AKL with dining plan. I like that it is a bit secluded. And I LOVE to have my coffee on the balcony with the giraffes. :cool1:

I have made an canceled a few different reservations....I am going back and forth between wanting to eat at certain restaurants, and wanting this to be totally relaxed and pressure free so the thought of feeling like I had to be somewhere at a certain time kind of gets to me...if that makes any sense. A few musts for me: Tonga Toast at Kona, a dinner at Boma...and a breakfast there on the day we depart. Have a resi at Chefs De France for lunch on a Saturday as we are meeting up with aFrench friend who will be in the states and are treating him to a day at Epcot. Have several restaurants I would love to try but don't want to over-schedule since we only really have 5 days. :sad2:

Hoping we can get a ticket once there to a MNSSHP event. Don't want to book in advance as my first choice of days is our arrival day on a Thursday but dont want to commit for fear we would have a missed connection on flights or weather delay that would mess that up. There is also a Sunday night party so that is do-able too.

Can't wait!:woohoo:

Your trip sounds great! I really enjoy Boma, but Ben hated it so we haven't been back. I can relate to not wanting to over-plan meals, it can make the trip feel too short if you 'have' to be somewhere each day.

Hope you get to a MNSSHP! That's still on my 'some day' list...

Aww, I'm sorry the Poly wasn't all you dreamed it would be. That's actually the way I felt about dinner at Ohana-- I had built it up to be this amazing meal and we actually hated it! (Except for dessert!) Definitely seems like you guys focused on the positives, though!
I legit laughed out loud re:Secretariat. The line about the grain and water did me in. Got a few coworkers to look up from their desks. Whoops. :upsidedow
Ack, crowded MK is no fun! Hope it cleared up!

At least now we can look at other resorts and pick a new 'dream' place to stay!
Hating 'Ohana would be bad, since you don't get to pick the food. Though I guess you could've just told them to take it all away and bring back 5 bowls of banana bread pudding... that wouldn't suck! :goodvibes

Yesssss... I am too excited that I made you laugh! Every time I see a commercial for the movie now, I think of it :lmao:

Day 4: This day will end... eventually.

It wasn't until I got to the third Day 4 post that I realized just how busy this Sunday was! If you're still interested, here's the next chapter in this epic day.

After unpacking, we headed out to the volcano pool to get some relaxing squeezed in to this stressful day. We decided to take the path near the beach, and it was a very pretty walk!
IMG_1290.jpg

Looking back at Tahiti (I'd have to think that the lagoon side rooms in this building would be my favorite location, if we were to come back here)
IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1292.jpg

When we got to the pool, it became clear that finding a couple of lounge chairs was not as easy as it sounded.
IMG_1293.jpg

IMG_1295.jpg

Even though it was pretty cloudy by now, the pool and deck were mobbed. Every single chair has something on it, though many were not in use. We decided to cut our losses and head back to the quiet pool closer to Tahiti. (Sidenote: when I first called it the 'quiet pool', Ben heard 'fire pool'. The name stuck)

While this pool lacked the pizazz of its own volcano, it was a very peaceful place and we had no problem finding a place to relax!

IMG_1296.jpg

We swam, we sat, we talked about what to do next. Dinner was at 8:30
(not 7:40, as I keep thinking it was and may have said in an earlier post) and it was now about 3. We did the obvious:

IMG_1298.jpg

Went to Epcot, of course!
This is when I finally took a breath and felt 'Disney'. I knew within a few minutes of entering the park that the week was going to be a good one, despite the rough start.

We headed straight to Spaceship Earth, which had been closed on our last trip. I loved the new version and the video at the end cracked us up!

Next was Mission:Space (Orange side, please!) which is one of Ben's favorites. As usual, this ride made me hungry. I can't explain why a ride that has sick bags in it makes me hungry, but there it is. I figured Ben and I could split something at Sunshine Seasons, so we headed to the Land.
I got a grilled vegetable sandwich and it was really good! We each ate half because I wanted to be nice and hungry for 'Ohana in a few hours.

After this snack, we took a spin on Living with the Land.
IMG_1301.jpg

After I took this, I got yelled at for taking a picture. I didn't think it would matter since we hadn't left the station yet. Oopsie!

As usual, it was a great ride- I just love the greenhouses. Ben agreed that we should do the Behind the Seeds tour on our actual Epcot day (remember- this is still our 'bonus WDW time')

We then walked through Innoventions, where Ben did the make-your-own-video-game. This was great!
IMG_1309.jpg

IMG_1313.jpg

Ben's eyes had been bothering him since Mission:Space and he was afraid it had something to do with his laser vision and the simulator. Because of this, he didn't want to try the Sum of All Thrills when I suggested it. I admit that I got a little upset that he got to do the Innoventions thing he wanted, but I couldn't do mine. But I put on my big girl panties and moved on...

What could help me get out of my slightly funky mood? A casual stroll to World Showcase, with an ulterior motive...

I popped in here, hoping the phone would ring:
IMG_1317.jpg

But it didn't.
Remember how I didn't want to spoil my appetite for 'Ohana? Well... I was pretty hungry already, and France was right there. Would it be the end of the world if I just...

IMG_1318.jpg

Scarffed down a napoleon? No, I didn't think so!

IMG_1319.jpg

For the record- I did share this with Ben. But I may have yelled at him for taking really big bites (seriously, he was shoving mountains in his mouth at once. Not fair.)

Now it was about 8PM and well and truly time to haul butt back to the Poly.
We made it to 'Ohana's check in podium without a moment to spare. And were handed a pager.

IMG_1320.jpg

And we waited for a bit...

IMG_1323.jpg

IMG_1324.jpg

Before we were finally seated. The waitress handed me the bread to carry (is this new? And why?) and took a picture of us.

IMG_1325.jpg

Dinner was really good, but I think our 'Cousin' was stretched a little thin- service was slow and drink refills were hard to get. I was proud of myself for pacing my food intake and made sure to leave room for delicious banana bread pudding. Yum!!

We left dinner and still had more on the agenda: EMH at MK. Looking back, this was really dumb. We had just been there and saw first hand how crowded it was. But we clambered aboard the monorail and were walking down Main Street just as Wishes was ending at 10PM.
IMG_1329.jpg

That picture should get an award for being 'The Worst Wishes Photo Ever'

Our earlier trip to Epcot had really helped our spirits and we were happy, crowds and all:
IMG_1331.jpg

We went right to Frontierland and rode Splash Mountain with little wait. Stand by for BTMMRR was long... too long, so we skipped it. We ended up in Tomorrowland to check out the Buzz wait, and were about to get in the 40 min stand-by when a very nice man handed us two FP good right then. Thanks, sir!
After that, we rode Space Mountain. We used FPs we had picked up when we were there earlier in the day. Otherwise, the wait was pretty nuts.
At about midnight, we admitted defeat and headed out. There was quite a crowd waiting for the monorail, and we didn't get back to the TTC till almost 1AM.
We set the alarm for 7 and lights out...

*Woohoo! I finished the day, that feels like a real accomplishment!*

Great update! Thanks so much for finishing the day! That is hilarious that the hostess made you carry the bread! I was just there and they didn't ask us to do that so I have no idea what that was all about!

Augh! You should have called or texted me this day, we spent the day in Epcot until after Illuminations when we headed for MK EMH and watched the end of Wishes from the end of Main St. then headed to Pecos Bill's. We could have hung out more!

Great update! Thanks so much for finishing the day! That is hilarious that the hostess made you carry the bread! I was just there and they didn't ask us to do that so I have no idea what that was all about!

I agree...great update and..yup...no bread carrying here either!

Great update! I could really go for some of that banana bread pudding right now!!! :cloud9: I'm glad that you were able to get back in good spirits with a little help from Epcot! :goodvibes

Um, I'm thinking the bread thing is a little odd lol. Very weird. Glad Epcot got you guys into the Disney spirit, though!!

:lmao: I just cracked up when I found out they don't make everyone carry the bread! She handed it to me and said 'I'll give you this to carry.' Then she offered to take our picture. So weird :confused3

Augh! You should have called or texted me this day, we spent the day in Epcot until after Illuminations when we headed for MK EMH and watched the end of Wishes from the end of Main St. then headed to Pecos Bill's. We could have hung out more!

We were so close! I was mad that I didn't have my phone- I left in in the room just about every day.

I agree...great update and..yup...no bread carrying here either!

That's the new funniest thing about our trip!

Great update! I could really go for some of that banana bread pudding right now!!! :cloud9: I'm glad that you were able to get back in good spirits with a little help from Epcot! :goodvibes

Yep, the day ended well!

Um, I'm thinking the bread thing is a little odd lol. Very weird. Glad Epcot got you guys into the Disney spirit, though!!

I am glad I have photographic evidence of the carrying of the bread! I might ask to carry it the next time we're at 'Ohana :rotfl:

Great update, you got quite a bit acomplished and some yummy snackage in between :)

Yikes about the crowds for EMH, I figured that around that time it would be dead, but at least you got a few rides in.

So yay or nay for Ohana? I must admit that the service and wait time isn't the greatest, but the food is pretty darn good.

I wish the O'Hana was a little better for you guys ... and im hoping your Poly karma turns around a little bit more during your stay :angel:

Ive never had to hold the bread for a photo either... maybe you got there and had a 'new' cousin? I dunno... crazy. And even though your photo was kinda blah, im glad you got to see Wishes!!

Hi! :wave:

I followed you over from Jessica's (JMAT) post so I hope you dont mind the seni-stalking and the crash of your party! I spent all day yesterday and some of today reading your PTR and TR and I'm hooked!

I have never stayed at the Poly, although I do want to get to know the whole place! Their atmosphere and restaurants (and OK...the Dole Whips) have me starry eyed! And the music! We also have reservations at 'ohanas for our first meal when we go and I cant wait!

We are DVC'ers (brandy new ones) but before that my favorite place is AKL so in my head, not much could compare to that....waking up to having coffee on your balcony with the wild is amazing! :goodvibes But, alas, we arent AKV'ers, we are OKW'ers! What can I say - I love lush tropics and Jimmy Buffet too! And OKW has much larger balconies even though we will have to trade the zebras and giraffes for bunnies and squirrels. :rotfl:

I am praying and throwing pixie dust at the computer in hopes your dream Poly vaca turns its pineapply butt around!! You have come SO far to get here and I'm not willing to give up...er, I mean...*hangs head*

"I am praying and throwing pixie dust at the computer in hopes your dream Poly vaca turns its pineapply butt around!!"

Best. Quote. Ever. :worship: So very awesome. Thanks for making my day heathers4um

I am finally here! It sounds like you had a bit of a rough start-- I am glad that Epcot brought the magic back! Can't wait to read more!

Great update, you got quite a bit acomplished and some yummy snackage in between :)

Yikes about the crowds for EMH, I figured that around that time it would be dead, but at least you got a few rides in.

So yay or nay for Ohana? I must admit that the service and wait time isn't the greatest, but the food is pretty darn good.

We still love 'Ohana! I still prefer the appetizers to the meat skewers, though! We'll be back next trip, I'm sure!

I wish the O'Hana was a little better for you guys ... and im hoping your Poly karma turns around a little bit more during your stay :angel:

Ive never had to hold the bread for a photo either... maybe you got there and had a 'new' cousin? I dunno... crazy. And even though your photo was kinda blah, im glad you got to see Wishes!!

Poly karma was a fickle thing for us this trip! All I can think is that the 'cousin' showing us to our table wasn't good at carrying stuff. :rotfl:

Hi! :wave:

I followed you over from Jessica's (JMAT) post so I hope you dont mind the seni-stalking and the crash of your party! I spent all day yesterday and some of today reading your PTR and TR and I'm hooked!

I have never stayed at the Poly, although I do want to get to know the whole place! Their atmosphere and restaurants (and OK...the Dole Whips) have me starry eyed! And the music! We also have reservations at 'ohanas for our first meal when we go and I cant wait!

We are DVC'ers (brandy new ones) but before that my favorite place is AKL so in my head, not much could compare to that....waking up to having coffee on your balcony with the wild is amazing! :goodvibes But, alas, we arent AKV'ers, we are OKW'ers! What can I say - I love lush tropics and Jimmy Buffet too! And OKW has much larger balconies even though we will have to trade the zebras and giraffes for bunnies and squirrels. :rotfl:

I am praying and throwing pixie dust at the computer in hopes your dream Poly vaca turns its pineapply butt around!! You have come SO far to get here and I'm not willing to give up...er, I mean...*hangs head*

Hi, hi, hi! Very glad you joined us over here! And you even read the PTR? You deserve an award... maybe a framed copy of our Wishes pic?
HAHAHA! I wish I had you there to give the Poly a stern talking to! :rotfl:

I still love the Poly, but more for it's common areas. I'm sure we will visit again, just won't stay there!

"I am praying and throwing pixie dust at the computer in hopes your dream Poly vaca turns its pineapply butt around!!"

Best. Quote. Ever. :worship: So very awesome. Thanks for making my day heathers4um

Right? Too funny!

I am finally here! It sounds like you had a bit of a rough start-- I am glad that Epcot brought the magic back! Can't wait to read more!

Yay and welcome!
Epcot did the trick big time. It became our 'happy place' this trip.

Wanted to quickly post that I will be house sitting without internet access starting tomorrow. I will try to write some, but no promises!
Please don't forget about me, even if it is a little while before I can post again!

Have fun, and dont get scared at any random creaks! Im always weird getting to know an empty house at first. Its probably because I jump and cry at Jafar....

Wuss :scared1:

Wow! I can't believe how action-packed this day was! :worship: I also can't believe that your (first ) room at the Poly hadn't even been cleaned! :eek: I know we all sometimes set our expectations a little high for Disney hotels, but a clean room is something I would expect at any hotel! It disappoints me that they didn't upgrade you - especially since you were celebrating. :sad2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter