This Baltimore mom rocks!

Yep, long time as a dance mom and I can tell you I can indeed pick one of mine out of a quick moving group all in the same outfits and hair styled identically in a matter of moments. I bet lots of sports parents here can say the same.

I can pick my kids out like that too (I'm a softball, soccer, dance and theater mom), but this kid was totally covered with only his eyes showing in a rioting crowd. It's totally different than picking your child out of a group of 10 where they aren't totally covered up.

I don't mean to get all religious on here, but both the mom and son had a guardian angel with them that day.
The boys angel put him in the right place at the right time for his mom to see him, and the mom's angel put her there to not only find him, but to give her the eyes to tell her he was who he was. I'm glad she was able to get to her son before something terrible happened to him.

Yep, long time as a dance mom and I can tell you I can indeed pick one of mine out of a quick moving group all in the same outfits and hair styled identically in a matter of moments. I bet lots of sports parents here can say the same.
Yup.

"Stupid" was in reference to the situation, I wasn't calling the mom stupid. As I have stated (repeatedly), I think she did the right thing in taking him away, I just think the hitting was an unnecessary move. Was I overly critical in my initial post? Probably so. Was it deserving of the backlash I've gotten in this thread? Absolutely not. There is a way to speak your mind without being disrespectful to the people you are speaking with. Unfortunately, not everyone knows how to do that, and that's a shame.

Smitch, I feel the same way. I cringe every time I watch that mom smashing her kid in the head/face. Let's face it, I'm sure it isn't the first time she did it. Violence begets violence. It's obviously a culturally acceptable thing to do in many circles but has never been in mine. Would I have gone down and dragged my kid home? Of course but it wouldn't have occurred to me to start smashing him about the head.

It's ok that the rest of the DIS doesn't agree with you.

Both of my girls are book worms so no physical activities for either of them, although at 6'1 my eldest would make a great volleyball player, she's great but she has no desire. My point is my kids do NOTHING physical and I would be able to spot my gawky teen simply because she usually stands over top of everyone and I could hear my youngest a mile away because she'd be the one who was talking non-stop. As a parent, especially a mum you're equipped with child seeking abilities - honestly it's a gift.

Smitch, I feel the same way. I cringe every time I watch that mom smashing her kid in the head/face. Let's face it, I'm sure it isn't the first time she did it. Violence begets violence. It's obviously a culturally acceptable thing to do in many circles but has never been in mine. Would I have gone down and dragged my kid home? Of course but it wouldn't have occurred to me to start smashing him about the head.

It absolutely is okay for people to view things differently, and discuss them. Exchange of ideas is one of the great privileges of civilized societies.

Like I said, if I were in that situation and went to get my kid and they attempted to defy me I'd have no compunction to use any means necessary to remove them in the most expeditious manner I could. In my book cringing onlookers are better than harmed, jailed or dead kid every day of the week. I truthfully said I would tear a strip off the hide of one of mine if I had to, well aware I'm putting it out here to be judged. My children wouldn't hesitate to tell you how their mother would react.

Anybody who cares to can read that with grave concern my children have been raised in a violent atmosphere and the propensity for violence they have. I'm quite comfortable with the women they've become.

This was brought up in the CBS interview. The host said something along the lines of "It didn't appear to be the first time you've done this to him." and she replied that she had whacked him before.

I think that she's in a tough situation; I've got 6 kids and I'm married, that's tough, but her being single makes it a thousand fold. She's in a tough neighborhood/city; she's got a kid who's attracted to the thug life on the streets. Maybe she's exhausted every other possibility that's within her reach and this is her last resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter