Thinking of DCP Fall 2016?!

Did you love your DCP experience?

• Total voters

Disney_Obsessed11

Earning My Ears
Hey y'all, I am thinking about applying for the Fall 2016 DCP!!! I'm a little apprehensive about the application process. Any advice for a first-time applicant?

A little about me: I'm 21yrs old, soon to be a college graduate (so the fall would be my last opportunity). I'm sort of shy at first, but a, quick to warm up. I've never traveled far from home (besides my first trip to WDW in May and Cedar Point a few years back). I LOVE everything Disney and follow quite a few CPs on twitter/instagram and they seem to be having the time of their lives, and I want the same. I'm just hoping that the experience (if I get in) is what I expect it to be, and more!! I'm just a little unsure of myself. NEED ADVICE!

Just a note...my DC graduates in May. She will be applying for the Fall '16 program. But....we asked DCP, directly, and found that if she doesn't make it for Fall '16, she can apply in Aug. '16, for Spring '17! As long as she is within 6 months of graduation when she applies, she's good!!

I didn't do the DCP (but did apply), but I'm a regular CM and I am glad I took this job. I'm not sure what your concerns are, but it still is a job -- so it won't always be fun. You might have to work long hours, deal with rude guests, etc. But I think the people you work with, the experiences and career development make up for it.

Just a note...my DC graduates in May. She will be applying for the Fall '16 program. But....we asked DCP, directly, and found that if she doesn't make it for Fall '16, she can apply in Aug. '16, for Spring '17! As long as she is within 6 months of graduation when she applies, she's good!!
Oh my gosh!!! So good to hear! Thank you for replying!!

I didn't do the DCP (but did apply), but I'm a regular CM and I am glad I took this job. I'm not sure what your concerns are, but it still is a job -- so it won't always be fun. You might have to work long hours, deal with rude guests, etc. But I think the people you work with, the experiences and career development make up for it.
The job I hold now have long shifts, rude customers etc. So I'm not too worried about that. I understand it's a job but what an awesome place to work!! If you don't mind me asking, what is your job? Like you said, the experience of working in Disneg is going to make up for all the negatives.

I did the DCP in Fall of 2014, and it was the best experience of my life. Please ask questions if you have any! I'm considering applying again for the fall 2016, since I'm trying to avoid graduate school and reality for as long as possible.

The job I hold now have long shifts, rude customers etc. So I'm not too worried about that. I understand it's a job but what an awesome place to work!! If you don't mind me asking, what is your job? Like you said, the experience of working in Disneg is going to make up for all the negatives.

I'm a hostess in foods.

I did the DCP in Fall of 2014, and it was the best experience of my life. Please ask questions if you have any! I'm considering applying again for the fall 2016, since I'm trying to avoid graduate school and reality for as long as possible.
What job did you have while you did your program? Did you like it? I hear some are better than others. I don't want to be placed in something that I'm going to hate. I think I want to avoid quick service and attractions and go for possibly merchandise..I even hear custodial isn't that bad or housekeeping. I don't know!!

Did you enjoy the job? I hear you can pick up shifts doing other jobs as well, how does that work?

Yes, I'm glad I have it. And just FYI the position isn't offered to DCP at Disneyland, only WDW.

I'm not sure how it is at WDW and with DCP, but for regular CMs at DL most of us can only pick up shifts within our department. We can call scheduling and tell them we're available that day, or get a shift another CM is giving away. Some roles require training before you can go to a different location, but other roles don't (I think stores is one). Once we're off probation we can cross-train to different roles within the same department. You can't go from foods to custodial, for example, without applying/interviewing to transfer permanently (I don't think transferring is possible in DCP).

However in some departments, mostly attractions, you can pick up shifts doing guest support during parades, fireworks, etc. They're the ones with glow wands making sure the flow of traffic keeps moving. There are also special events you can sign up for, like treat shifts during the Halloween party.

What job did you have while you did your program? Did you like it? I hear some are better than others. I don't want to be placed in something that I'm going to hate. I think I want to avoid quick service and attractions and go for possibly merchandise..I even hear custodial isn't that bad or housekeeping. I don't know!!
I did attractions in Fantasyland in MK, so the busiest land in the busiest park at the busiest time of year. I absolutely LOVED it. The people I worked with are some of my close friends now, and while there were things that weren't so glamorous, overall I wouldn't have traded the experience. However, if I return to Disney to work, I will not be putting attractions as my first choice, because while it was an amazing experience, by the time I finished up New Years, I was burned out. I also want to try something different.
Every job has it's own special qualities. I went in not knowing what to expect with attractions, and it turned out to be a lot of fun! Sure, there are a lot of things you have to be weary of when on the job, especially safety components, but I'm glad I got put there! QSFB is something that will depend a lot on who you end up working with, same with attractions. I know some people who were QSFB at Cosmic Ray's (the busiest fast food place in the world) who actually loved their jobs because of the people they worked with. One roommate was custodial, and she really enjoyed all the guest interaction, but the cleaning wasn't all that fun. Another was housekeeping, and she never complained, but I think it really tired her out. I have a friend who did merch and really enjoyed it, but he was at stroller rental, and for him, it was solely his coworkers that made the job magical.
You will find pros and cons to every option Disney offers for the DCP, but they all have their factor in which they create magic. I would think about how much you want to be seen by guests (merch is stocking off stage some as well), how much you can physically handle (housekeeping is hard work!), and how you want to make the magic. Like I said, any more questions, just ask! I'm in finals week so I'll try to respond promptly, but forgive me if I don't!

My DD is the same age and was planning the same thing as you. But decided to apply last year incase she didn't get in on her first try so she could apply again. She loved her room mates. They were the best part of the DCP for her. She was a hostess and didn't love her role, but was ok with it. The thing that was the worst for her were the busses. So, if you do have your own car. I recommend bring in it! She did get in her first time applying which was for spring 2015 and now will be graduation may 2016.

I did only half of a DCP (I had to leave due to getting a much better opportunity) and honestly it was the best four months of my life. I worked in MK Attractions and had a BLAST!! I would recommend it to many people. It's not for everyone, but if you love Disney and don't mind working a lot for low pay, it's so so worth it.

I'm in the same boat as you, doing TONS of research on the DCP and hoping to be accepted to take on Disney in the fall of 2016. Applications come out in around 2 short months so I'm researching as much as possible ahead of time. As people have already stated in this thread, I've read a lot that the jobs themselves aren't always the greatest or best paying, but the people you meet and being in Disney itself TOTALLY makes up for it. Good luck in your process, I'll be lurking on this thread as I love to see what people have to say about it!

I'm in the same boat as you, doing TONS of research on the DCP and hoping to be accepted to take on Disney in the fall of 2016. Applications come out in around 2 short months so I'm researching as much as possible ahead of time. As people have already stated in this thread, I've read a lot that the jobs themselves aren't always the greatest or best paying, but the people you meet and being in Disney itself TOTALLY makes up for it. Good luck in your process, I'll be lurking on this thread as I love to see what people have to say about it!
Its super exciting but also really nerve-wracking at the same time to think that applications come out in two months!! Heres to having my fingers crossed!!!

I did only half of a DCP (I had to leave due to getting a much better opportunity) and honestly it was the best four months of my life. I worked in MK Attractions and had a BLAST!! I would recommend it to many people. It's not for everyone, but if you love Disney and don't mind working a lot for low pay, it's so so worth it.
What did you do in order to leave the DCP? I hear you can't get rehired if you leave, which I'm not worried about. I want to do the program so bad, but I'm nervous about what happens if, like you said, it turns out the program wasn't for me. Are you allowed to leave before the program ends if you just hate everything about it? I don't plan on leaving, I just want to know what the options are.

My DD is the same age and was planning the same thing as you. But decided to apply last year incase she didn't get in on her first try so she could apply again. She loved her room mates. They were the best part of the DCP for her. She was a hostess and didn't love her role, but was ok with it. The thing that was the worst for her were the busses. So, if you do have your own car. I recommend bring in it! She did get in her first time applying which was for spring 2015 and now will be graduation may 2016.
I definitely plan on bringing my own car if I get accepted. Ive heard a lot of horror stories about the busses and want to avoid every second of them!!

I did attractions in Fantasyland in MK, so the busiest land in the busiest park at the busiest time of year. I absolutely LOVED it. The people I worked with are some of my close friends now, and while there were things that weren't so glamorous, overall I wouldn't have traded the experience. However, if I return to Disney to work, I will not be putting attractions as my first choice, because while it was an amazing experience, by the time I finished up New Years, I was burned out. I also want to try something different.
Every job has it's own special qualities. I went in not knowing what to expect with attractions, and it turned out to be a lot of fun! Sure, there are a lot of things you have to be weary of when on the job, especially safety components, but I'm glad I got put there! QSFB is something that will depend a lot on who you end up working with, same with attractions. I know some people who were QSFB at Cosmic Ray's (the busiest fast food place in the world) who actually loved their jobs because of the people they worked with. One roommate was custodial, and she really enjoyed all the guest interaction, but the cleaning wasn't all that fun. Another was housekeeping, and she never complained, but I think it really tired her out. I have a friend who did merch and really enjoyed it, but he was at stroller rental, and for him, it was solely his coworkers that made the job magical.
You will find pros and cons to every option Disney offers for the DCP, but they all have their factor in which they create magic. I would think about how much you want to be seen by guests (merch is stocking off stage some as well), how much you can physically handle (housekeeping is hard work!), and how you want to make the magic. Like I said, any more questions, just ask! I'm in finals week so I'll try to respond promptly, but forgive me if I don't!
I'm glad to hear you loved attractions! I didn't know much about what the job entailed but now it makes me less hesitant to say that I wouldn't mind working in attractions. I also wouldn't mind being seen by guests, but say for example you get put into merchandise. Can you switch back and forth between being in the stores and behind the scenes? Like once you get your schedule you may be stocking shelves in the stores one day, but the next day you might be on the register..or is it if you are assigned stocking shelves that is your job for the entire program?

I definitely plan on bringing my own car if I get accepted. Ive heard a lot of horror stories about the busses and want to avoid every second of them!!
Good plan! My DD has thought about applying for a second DCP and she said she would not do it without a car. But she was offered a full time job close to home after graduation so I don't think she will apply again.

What did you do in order to leave the DCP? I hear you can't get rehired if you leave, which I'm not worried about. I want to do the program so bad, but I'm nervous about what happens if, like you said, it turns out the program wasn't for me. Are you allowed to leave before the program ends if you just hate everything about it? I don't plan on leaving, I just want to know what the options are.

So what happened to me is that despite the fact that I loved being there, I got accepted into graduate school off a wait list so ended up going. I gave my managers two weeks notice and they were nice and gracious. I ended up with a "restricted rehire" status which essentially means that if I want to work for Disney again, I'll have to put in a little more work- but since my managers liked me, it's not a big deal. If you leave and never plan to work for the company again, there are no consequences- you can even put the part of the program that you did on your resume.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter