Things I learned today about bank routing numbers

Mine are the same. We have 2 accounts and I just looked at both. Routing # same on checks and deposit slips.

My deposit slips don’t have a Routing number.

But did you know you can have different Routing numbers on different accounts with the same bank? We have 3 accounts with the same bank but each has a different Routing number because they were each opened at different branch locations.

What will all the people without checks do when something bigger than the Carrington Event happens?

I know - checks probably wont help either.
USA is a unusual country that still uses cheques. It’s extremely rare in other countries.
You can’t write a cheque here in a place like Walmart or a grocery store.

I worked in banking as a teller (well I am still in banking, but I don’t handle checks anymore) and neither of the institutions I’ve worked at has different routing numbers and or account numbers on checks and deposit slips.

That said, people seemed to rarely use deposit slips…. 90% of the time we had to hand write out deposits slips for them. We kept blank ones at our windows. We verified by id or whatever and pulled up the account on the computer and wrote the account number on the slip. As far as routing numbers go, we never added that into the information. Some people would just hand us a voided check and we got the account number from that. In branches, the routing numbers aren’t really an issue. However I’ve never seen them be different because the instructions I’ve been at have ONE routing number. Other institutions might be different, but never seen it myself.

They just don’t. See article below which is already several years old as it mentions Sears.
Think what you posted is some kind of money mart thingy maybe at customer service? Not sure.

Canadian grocers Sobeys and Loblaw are to join the growing list of Canadian retailers that no longer accept cheques as a method of payment at some of their stores.

At the end of the month Loblaw will stop accepting cheques at its 72 Ontario stores, while as of 3 February cheques will no longer be accepted at Sobeys stores in Atlantic Canada.

In 1997, 7% of shoppers paid for goods with a cheque, but by 2001 that figure had fallen to just 2%, according to the Interac Association, which oversees Canada’s direct debit payment system. The popularity of debit cards is seen as the main reason why use of cheques has declined.

Loblaw and Sobeys will join retailers including Wal-Mart and Sears Canada which ceased accepting personal cheques in the past five years, reported the Canadian Press.

I haven’t used a deposit slip in many years, but believe all of mine always exactly matched the numbers on the checks.

Recently many doctor offices around here have stopped accepting cash. I have always been able to use a credit card at all of mine, but know some people without a credit card who paid cash and now have to write checks.

I used to work in Treasury for my employer and sent wire transfer and ACH payments daily. It seemed that it was more common for larger banks to have different routing numbers for electronic payments than what is on checks. I’m not sure why that is.

The routing number on your checks is different than the routing number on the DEPOSIT slips in the back of your packet of checks.

Which is the number you should when setting up Direct DEPOSIT ?

Nope, NOT the one on the DEPOSIT slip. The one on the checks.

My wife is going to have to sort that out Monday and find her paycheck. Second frustration is, she went back to work at her old employer that she left 2 years ago, and they say all her information is still in the system but she had to reenter the Direct Deposit information.
The numbers on the checks and deposit slips are sometimes different sometimes the same. It varies by financial institution. But yes, you should use the routing number on the checks - it’s like the “address” of your bank so other banks can get your money to them for your account. Some financial institutions use a different number on their deposit slip, more like an internal number for their institution.

They don't do that anymore. They make the employees do everything now

I don't know who the 'they' is you are referring to....but as a employer of approximately 80 people I can tell you we Do do that still...part of our paperwork is that folks submit a canceled check for direct deposit set up. My payroll dept. enters it, not the new employees.

I don't know who the 'they' is you are referring to....but as a employer of approximately 80 people I can tell you we Do do that still...part of our paperwork is that folks submit a canceled check for direct deposit set up. My payroll dept. enters it, not the new employees.
The employer in my wife's case.
And my last employer before retirement. They had an outside company that did everything online.
But in both cases, they were corporations with multiple locations and thousands of employees.

The employer in my wife's case.
And my last employer before retirement. They had an outside company that did everything online.
But in both cases, they were corporations with multiple locations and thousands of employees.
Well..."they" still do it that way.
Maybe not in CA, maybe not where you worked. But it does happen.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter