Things I learned today about bank routing numbers

I don't know how I would use a deposit slip at my bank.
There are no tellers!
Everything inside and at ATM outside is done by our bank card.
There are people inside during open hours to help when needed.

My book of checks has several deposit slips at the back, however if you use the ATM machine, you simply insert the check for processing. Even if you go into the bank, you just insert your credit/debit card in the reader, then they don't need a deposit slip. Most stores don't want to accept checks since too much can go wrong (i.e. check bounces, insufficient funds, closed account, etc.) When you use a debit/credit card they get an immediate approval and verification that the transaction is valid. Has been that way for a long time here in USA at any store I shop at.

SInce when do checks come with deposit slips?

i always get a supply of deposit slips when i receive an order of checks-have not used one in years though.

on the multiple routing numbers-with some financial institutions it originates from banks taking over other banks. it's easier to retain the old/defunct bank's routing number.

I don't know how I would use a deposit slip at my bank.
There are no tellers!
Everything inside and at ATM outside is done by our bank card.
There are people inside during open hours to help when needed.
After providing no help and telling me to call customer service when I had questions I closed my bank 15 years ago. Why bother to use a brick and mortar bank if the people inside are useless and just trying to upsell you? I just use Fidelity now.

After providing no help and telling me to call customer service when I had questions I closed my bank 15 years ago. Why bother to use a brick and mortar bank if the people inside are useless and just trying to upsell you? I just use Fidelity now.
Maybe a bad choice in who you bank with. Options still exist as they do with most lines of business

UPDATE: My wife FINALLY was able to get into her company's HR portal....it was down Saturday for updates......and the routing number AND the account number are/were correct. So will have to wait until tomorrow to track it down. She may have a paper check waiting for her tomorrow.

Long time banker here. The numbers should normally be the same but it’s possible if you are banking with a large bank that took over other banks that they use different institutions for checks and deposits.
That could be. I was with a local Savings and Loan that became a local Bank, which got bought up by a national bank, which got bought up by ANOTHER national bank. All of those changes brought a change in account numbers......never paid attention to the routing number because Direct Deposit wasn't even a "thing" until after the last sale.
And the last sale resulted on one of my checking accounts being converted into a savings account. The old bank had what they called a "Money Market Checking Account" which paid slightly interest paid, and new bank had no such thing. I just remember trying to order new checks for that account and being told it wasn't a checking account........until a supervisor stepped in and explained what had happened.

I just wrote 2 checks for excavation and seeding of my yard. I don’t write many. I did notice the checks and deposit slips have different routing numbers. This is a 5/3 checking account.

I order my checks from Wal-Mart and they come with deposit slips. I always have a few left when I finish a book of checks because I most always do mobile deposit. My DH works a second job where he gets paid in cash sometimes, so I do use deposit slips when I am depositing cash.

I just wrote 2 checks for excavation and seeding of my yard. I don’t write many. I did notice the checks and deposit slips have different routing numbers. This is a 5/3 checking account.
I also bank with 5/3 and just checked - my checks and deposit slips have different routing numbers too. I never noticed it before.

I think that is wrong. They are both the same with mine. I hardly ever use a check anymore, but my deposit slips and my Checks have the same number. If they didn't how would they know what account to put the deposit in. It makes no sense at all.

I think that is wrong. They are both the same with mine. I hardly ever use a check anymore, but my deposit slips and my Checks have the same number. If they didn't how would they know what account to put the deposit in. It makes no sense at all.
I agree that it makes no sense, but as in my case, the routing numbers are different and the account number is the same.

Well, if you read the thread, you'll see a number of people (including me) checked and also have different routing numbers between deposit slips and checks.

As far as how the bank would know what account to put the deposit in, I'm guessing they'd use the ACCOOUNT number. :D

I don't blame you! Fortunately, the branch I bank with has a wonderful Asst. Mgr.
who has been very helpful.

Routing numbers are by bank the same for your checks or your deposit slips
You run into issues when you’re doing wires or ACH is and it’s how your account is set up where if it accepts wires or ACH is then you run into needing other types of numbers in order for those types of transactions to go through in addition to account numbers and routing numbers I won’t get into all of it but I’ve been doing it for 40 years You can Google most banks and find out their routing numbers to verify if you have the correct number for the type of transaction that you need to do most personal checking accounts are not set up to accept wires but they will accept ACH
You also run into issues and will need additional numbers if you’re in the United States and you’re sending money to a foreign country or a foreign bank account and you need additional numbers and again I won’t get into all that it’s just more accounting stuff that people don’t want to talk about
Good luck I hope you get this straightened out but setting up payroll they should’ve done a test run for a penny to make sure the account was correct because I also do payroll

Just an FYI most banks have blank deposit slips in the lobby that you can use the routing number is already on those deposit slips because again routing numbers are by bank and then you have to fill in your account number and then your deposit information to make your deposit I understand most people don’t go into banks these days - but if you would and need a deposit slip this is how they’re handled the same thing is if you were going to need a check and you didn’t have your checkbook with you and needed to get a bank check it’s handled the same way

SInce when do checks come with deposit slips?
Yeah - some accounts don't even come with checks anymore - just assume you will use the debit card or electronic. You have to make a special request and order checks and sometimes pay for them.

On the odd occasion I see someone writing a check in a shop its pretty annoying because I am usually the one behind them and in a rush.

Many years ago when I did work in a shop - checks were somewhat unusual, but more common - and always seemed to be the biggest problem. A fair number of them bounced and we never recovered the money, so not only was I out the merch I was out the fee for a bounced check. Since I was paid on the profit of the store that really sucked and I was pretty cautious about checks...still lots of issues. Even with a check validation service people can empty account between the time they wrote the check and the time it gets to the bank.

Another large portion of folks that used checks were just a PITA. Didn't want their ID info written on the check and the company required that. Part of the issue is your SSN was the drivers license number still unless you made a special request when you got your license..

It just is not worth taking checks in my experience.

UPDATE: My wife FINALLY was able to get into her company's HR portal....it was down Saturday for updates......and the routing number AND the account number are/were correct. So will have to wait until tomorrow to track it down. She may have a paper check waiting for her tomorrow.
Many times the first check is a paper check while the system verifies the account. Until recently this was always the case but now the payroll provider we use (ADP) has a real time verification with the larger banks. If the bank is a local or regional bank they won’t be able to verify in real time and will have to pre-note the account to verify that the information is correct.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter