Things I learned today about bank routing numbers

On the odd occasion I see someone writing a check in a shop its pretty annoying because I am usually the one behind them and in a rush.
LOL. Sounds like me, except:
1) It is someone with 5 or 6 cards, and they can't remember their pin/the card reader can't read it/it is declined
2) It is at the mini market and the person ahead of me has no idea which lottery ticket, tobacco product, or mini bottle of liquor they want so they are window shopping.

Many times the first check is a paper check while the system verifies the account. Until recently this was always the case but now the payroll provider we use (ADP) has a real time verification with the larger banks. If the bank is a local or regional bank they won’t be able to verify in real time and will have to pre-note the account to verify that the information is correct.
Well, it IS ADP and it IS one of the nations largest banks and the morning is young but so far both corporate HR and ADP are baffled as to what is going on.
When my wife and I retired two years ago, our final checks were checks. Actually, due to a mess up, my last check was not ready my last day, so they overnighted it to me from corporate with an extra days pay penalty due to some legal requirement. Many corporations don't allow satellite locations to write checks, but some state laws require check payment when you quit.

LOL. Sounds like me, except:
1) It is someone with 5 or 6 cards, and they can't remember their pin/the card reader can't read it/it is declined
2) It is at the mini market and the person ahead of me has no idea which lottery ticket, tobacco product, or mini bottle of liquor they want so they are window shopping.
Yeah - personally I'd never use a debit card either - except at the specific bank in their ATM if I needed cash. I'm overly cautions but I've heard enough issues around it and getting banks to reimburse.

Credit Cards have far less risk IMO and you can "earn" points etc.. from them - of course you need to pay it off every month or they really stick it to you.

Yeah - personally I'd never use a debit card either - except at the specific bank in their ATM if I needed cash. I'm overly cautions but I've heard enough issues around it and getting banks to reimburse.

Credit Cards have far less risk IMO and you can "earn" points etc.. from them - of course you need to pay it off every month or they really stick it to you.
Yup. Never use my debit card anywhere but my banks ATM to get cash, and YES I still use cash for many things.
I do use my credit card to buy groceries for the rewards, something I NEVER thought I would do. Just remember the old rule about credit cards, don't buy anything that won't still be around when the bill comes.

Well, if you read the thread, you'll see a number of people (including me) checked and also have different routing numbers between deposit slips and checks.

As far as how the bank would know what account to put the deposit in, I'm guessing they'd use the ACCOOUNT number. :D
I read the thread and all it made me feel was glad I bank where I do. Just because it may or many not happen elsewhere doesn't mean that is what is happening in my tiny little world.

I had my banks routing numbers change once when the local bank was bought by Truist. This only happened once though, as things changed hands often and usually the numbers remain unchanged but when there was a switch the routing numbers on older forms became defunct.

Not sure where you are from but in the US consumer laws basically put the burden on banks in all cases where there is a dispute. From a liability standpoint there is very little risk in using a debit card

I read the thread and all it made me feel was glad I bank where I do. Just because it may or many not happen elsewhere doesn't mean that is what is happening in my tiny little world.
Ah. When you said "I think that is wrong", I thought you were saying they're the same everywhere. Apologies for the misunderstanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter