They took my fan!..........I can't sleep without my fan

I think with things like USB chargers (which mine did not get taken), it's best to put them in carryon. I think they scrutinize checked more.
My USB charger always goes in my carry on and I've never had an issue. FWIW I have the same one that was posted above. I would die without it!

I got this several years ago and have been VERY pleased with it and it's battery operated. The batteries last a long time and sometimes we use in the cabin and sometimes we don't but I understand some people are just used to sleeping with a fan. I keep the cardboard box it came in and that's what I pack it in. It's around $10 on Amazon and here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Batter...48109332&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+operated+fan

Heather

I have this same fan, and it doesn't even put out enough air to feel when it's sitting on a table directly in front of me, let alone have the air reach me when it's sitting across the cabin somewhere so it's aiming across the bed. Maybe I just got a dud. :(

I have this same fan, and it doesn't even put out enough air to feel when it's sitting on a table directly in front of me, let alone have the air reach me when it's sitting across the cabin somewhere so it's aiming across the bed. Maybe I just got a dud. :(
Poor dud :) On high I can definitely feel ours but we don't necessarily use ours for the air itself but more to drown out other noises if others around us are being loud (like slamming cabin doors or kids running). I've put the fan on the night stand on low and then can definitely feel it as it's right there next to me.

Heather

I can't believe no one has commented on the ...

Like... um... what were they thinking? Can you imagine it getting past security and a kid starts biking up and down the hallways?! :moped:
A bike would have been quieter than the hellions who ran up and down the halls outside our room. Every. Single. Night. I think someone finally called security on them.

Maybe the plug in Vornado is ok? I have a small plug in Vornado I packed and it was not taken on our last cruise. But noow I'm worried, so I'll bring my battery powered fan too on this cruise.

Portable fans are permitted in your stateroom. However, you must contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve your fan.

Can you contact guest services before the cruise? I travel with a fan. I have the same one I brought on my previous cruise. I can't imagine NOT having it. My daughter has a battery operated noise machine but I like the air blowing on me.

I wish they would give you a list of acceptable fans.

Portable fans are permitted in your stateroom. However, you must contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve your fan.

Can you contact guest services before the cruise? I travel with a fan. I have the same one I brought on my previous cruise. I can't imagine NOT having it. My daughter has a battery operated noise machine but I like the air blowing on me.

I wish they would give you a list of acceptable fans.
I don't imaging contacting Guest Services before you actually get on the ship will do any good. The Chief Electrician has to physically examine the fan before approving it. He can't just go by a list. He needs to see that it's in good repair.

I suggest having the fan in your carry on bag, so that you can go immediately to Guest Services once onboard and get the process started.

I don't imaging contacting Guest Services before you actually get on the ship will do any good. The Chief Electrician has to physically examine the fan before approving it. He can't just go by a list. He needs to see that it's in good repair.

I suggest having the fan in your carry on bag, so that you can go immediately to Guest Services once onboard and get the process started.

This may be a dumb question but....

If I bring the fan on via my carry on, how do I get it through security if they are confiscating them? o_O

This may be a dumb question but....

If I bring the fan on via my carry on, how do I get it through security if they are confiscating them? o_O
I'd probably ask for a supervisor and see about having the fan taken directly to Guest Services. This would only be important if you need to have the fan immediately (like the first night) on the ship. If you don't mind waiting a day or two, pack it in your checked bag. That way, they will call you to security to have the offending item removed from your bag and, at that time, you can request the Chief Electrician inspect it so you can use it.

You know....something has been nagging at me. We had a total of 6 bags that we checked curbside with the porters. Five bags arrived by 3pm, but the bag that had the contraband in it didn't get to our stateroom until after dinner (1st seating). I wonder if they set bags with contraband off to the side during screening and go through at some point later???

You know....something has been nagging at me. We had a total of 6 bags that we checked curbside with the porters. Five bags arrived by 3pm, but the bag that had the contraband in it didn't get to our stateroom until after dinner (1st seating). I wonder if they set bags with contraband off to the side during screening and go through at some point later???
They probably set it aside for further screening. I believe, if it needs to be opened, they will call you down to security to do so. Did you have something removed from your 6th bag?

On the other hand, it could be that the bags got separated and it's just when the last one got there. We've had our bags arrive at different times on various cruises.

The bag that was delayed was the one with the multi usb charger that got confiscated. They did not call me to security. They left a note and a receipt in my suitcase. The confiscated item wasn't even brought onto the ship as far as I know. I had to claim it after we went through customs in Miami. There was a table set up by the exit door.

I don't have a copy of the receipt, but here is the note card.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    46.9 KB · Views: 63
Thanks for the laugh, nearly peed myself!!
LOL!
So I get on the Disney Magic this past Sunday (5 night to Cozumel and Castaway C ay), and when we start to unpack, I ask my wife (I do the planning, she does the packing) "where is my fan" (6 inch fan). She told me it wasn't in the luggage, and there is a slip of paper she found......
2cmp34k.jpg

I've done many Disney Cruises with my fan, so I'm thinking, "why is my fan gone". (fan is mainly for the noise. It's so quiet in the room) So I went to Guest Services and showed them my "receipt". They told me that fans are considered a fire hazard, and it would be waiting for me at the "confiscated items" table, once we exit the ship. I asked the lady at Guest Services if they had a suitable replacement, and she said they would send something to my room (a blower). Later that evening, a giant blower (that is placed on the floor, and used to dry carpet) showed up at my room. We turned it on that night, and it blew us out of the bed :rotfl2:, not really, but it was throwing out some serious air. So I placed it under the table (where the mirror is located (desk, make-up area???), and I slept great that night. The next day, our cabin steward asked us about the blower, and he thought our room had leaked, and we were drying the carpet. He even called his supervisor about the blower, and his supervisor was not aware that we had it. So I told him my story, and he asked if we would rather have something smaller, and we said yes, and he brought us a "tower" fan. It wasn't that loud, but it was better than nothing. My brother was in the connecting room beside of me, and he always takes a fan with him on trips, and his fan was not taken. At the end of my cruise, I picked up my fan at the Confiscated Items table. My daughter said there was an expresso machine on the table (I didn't notice it). My wife noticed a child's bicycle, still in a box, that was located at the table, along with several small fans......jonathan

I was reading the restrictions to my dh and he had a good laugh at restricting fans but allowing curling irons and flat irons. Being an electrician, in a former life, he said "those things are much bigger fire risks". Then he asks "do you know how much power those things use?" to which my DD and I just nodded our heads :rolleyes: I told him if they take away the flat iron that will be a deal breaker :tongue: Oh, the frizz :crazy:

There were a few fans on the table at Debark that had been taken. After reading this thread I took mine in my carry on and got it on with no problems.

This has been one of my biggest fears about this cruise. My excitement just jumped over board and now the anxiety can start!!!!!! I can't sleep with out my fan. I do not have it or need it just for the sound, but I need the breeze as well. (A sound machine is not going to cut it). Seriously, I want to cry right now. I will be that one bag that will get flagged and I end up with a receipt and no fan.

I have several small fans that are battery operated (I do not just keep old boxes around that my fans have come in). From one of the post, the suggestion is to purchase a brand new one and leave it in the box??? Is there a certain size that seems to get flagged or brand not allowed?

So anything that gets plugged in, do they also check? Such as laptop cords, I pad chargers, phone chargers, razor chargers, etc...

So when I get on ship, I have to go to Guest Services and have the Eletrician give his blessing..... Please tell me what will get his blessing. I will purchase it! How long does that take? What if he says no, does the ship normally have approved fans to rent?

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!