They took my fan!..........I can't sleep without my fan

BigJon

will work for Dole Whip
So I get on the Disney Magic this past Sunday (5 night to Cozumel and Castaway Cay), and when we start to unpack, I ask my wife (I do the planning, she does the packing) "where is my fan" (6 inch fan). She told me it wasn't in the luggage, and there is a slip of paper she found......
2cmp34k.jpg

I've done many Disney Cruises with my fan, so I'm thinking, "why is my fan gone". (fan is mainly for the noise. It's so quiet in the room) So I went to Guest Services and showed them my "receipt". They told me that fans are considered a fire hazard, and it would be waiting for me at the "confiscated items" table, once we exit the ship. I asked the lady at Guest Services if they had a suitable replacement, and she said they would send something to my room (a blower). Later that evening, a giant blower (that is placed on the floor, and used to dry carpet) showed up at my room. We turned it on that night, and it blew us out of the bed :rotfl2:, not really, but it was throwing out some serious air. So I placed it under the table (where the mirror is located (desk, make-up area???), and I slept great that night. The next day, our cabin steward asked us about the blower, and he thought our room had leaked, and we were drying the carpet. He even called his supervisor about the blower, and his supervisor was not aware that we had it. So I told him my story, and he asked if we would rather have something smaller, and we said yes, and he brought us a "tower" fan. It wasn't that loud, but it was better than nothing. My brother was in the connecting room beside of me, and he always takes a fan with him on trips, and his fan was not taken. At the end of my cruise, I picked up my fan at the Confiscated Items table. My daughter said there was an expresso machine on the table (I didn't notice it). My wife noticed a child's bicycle, still in a box, that was located at the table, along with several small fans......jonathan

So I get on the Disney Magic this past Sunday (5 night to Cozumel and Castaway Cay), and when we start to unpack, I ask my wife (I do the planning, she does the packing) "where is my fan" (6 inch fan). She told me it wasn't in the luggage, and there is a slip of paper she found......
2cmp34k.jpg

I've done many Disney Cruises with my fan, so I'm thinking, "why is my fan gone". (fan is mainly for the noise. It's so quiet in the room) So I went to Guest Services and showed them my "receipt". They told me that fans are considered a fire hazard, and it would be waiting for me at the "confiscated items" table, once we exit the ship. I asked the lady at Guest Services if they had a suitable replacement, and she said they would send something to my room (a blower). Later that evening, a giant blower (that is placed on the floor, and used to dry carpet) showed up at my room. We turned it on that night, and it blew us out of the bed :rotfl2:, not really, but it was throwing out some serious air. So I placed it under the table (where the mirror is located (desk, make-up area???), and I slept great that night. The next day, our cabin steward asked us about the blower, and he thought our room had leaked, and we were drying the carpet. He even called his supervisor about the blower, and his supervisor was not aware that we had it. So I told him my story, and he asked if we would rather have something smaller, and we said yes, and he brought us a "tower" fan. It wasn't that loud, but it was better than nothing. My brother was in the connecting room beside of me, and he always takes a fan with him on trips, and his fan was not taken. At the end of my cruise, I picked up my fan at the Confiscated Items table. My daughter said there was an expresso machine on the table (I didn't notice it). My wife noticed a child's bicycle, still in a box, that was located at the table, along with several small fans......jonathan
Fans have always had this restriction:
Portable fans are permitted in your stateroom. However, you must contact Guest Services to have the Chief Electrician approve your fan.
https://disneycruise.disney.go.com/faq/prohibited-items/list/

Possibly the brand of fan your brother brought onboard is an approved model. And yours wasn't.

Sound machine app on cell phone or tablet will work just as well. I'm a thunderstorm girl myself. But since I started using a CPap machine, I haven't really needed that.

Agree with Kim @chirurgeon that it would be much simpler to just use a white noise app on a cell phone. There are many free ones and they will work just fine while the phone is in airplane mode.

For me it's not just the sound. I need the air movement too. Is there a way i can find out what type of fan is on the approved list. I really can't sleep without one.
:scared1:
Thanks

For me it's not just the sound. I need the air movement too. Is there a way i can find out what type of fan is on the approved list. I really can't sleep without one.
:scared1:
Thanks
Typically, a battery-powered fan is fine. One that has to be plugged in may be difficult to get onboard.

2cmp34k.jpg

I had the almost exact thing happen. I also had brought my fan on every cruise and it was confiscated on the last one. They brought us an air purifier which just wasn't the same. We use the app along with our fan but the app can not replace the sound and airflow of a real fan. After the 2nd night of our 14 night cruise they gave us our fan back. I guess they finally checked it out.

Oh No, we always bring a small 6 inch fan we clamp on the trim at the top of the room separator curtain. It is UL tested and labeled as such, we use it to keep the room cool and fresh. Has anyone brought a fan in their carry on and declared it at boarding ? We head out in a couple weeks for a Caribbean 7 day and I would hate to be without the air movement.

Oh No, we always bring a small 6 inch fan we clamp on the trim at the top of the room separator curtain. It is UL tested and labeled as such, we use it to keep the room cool and fresh. Has anyone brought a fan in their carry on and declared it at boarding ? We head out in a couple weeks for a Caribbean 7 day and I would hate to be without the air movement.
It might be best to carry it on. Be sure to declare it, and take it immediately to Guest Services for the Chief Electrician to examine it. Not sure how long it will take before you actually get it back, though.

I've carried on a small, corded Vornado brand fan on every single cruise and haven't ever had it taken or even commented on. I'm also one that can't sleep without the air moving and just can't imagine what I'd do if they took it!

I had 3 fans with me on our last cruise. All were battery operated. CVS sells one that looks like a daisy and is USB charged.

Typically, a battery-powered fan is fine. One that has to be plugged in may be difficult to get onboard.
Don't know if this is allowed.... but I love my battery Roybi fans. I can take it from room to room. They also make a variation where you can hook it up to a hose.

I also have a USB fan at the office. Gives just the right amount of circulation. Also great when a neighbor chooses to eat smelly food nearby.

I got this several years ago and have been VERY pleased with it and it's battery operated. The batteries last a long time and sometimes we use in the cabin and sometimes we don't but I understand some people are just used to sleeping with a fan. I keep the cardboard box it came in and that's what I pack it in. It's around $10 on Amazon and here is the link:

http://www.amazon.com/O2COOL-Batter...48109332&sr=8-3&keywords=battery+operated+fan

Heather

I can't believe no one has commented on the ...

Like... um... what were they thinking? Can you imagine it getting past security and a kid starts biking up and down the hallways?! :moped:

I gosh could you imagine? Then we would have the dare devils trying to ride them down the staircases!

There were at least 4 skateboards when I picked up my USB charger at the naughty table. There were a lot of fans - box and table top types. Also saw a hotplate.

I think with things like USB chargers (which mine did not get taken), it's best to put them in carryon. I think they scrutinize checked more.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter