They should rename it Frozenland

Speaking of Frozen, is there an Olaf character (like, that you can hug) in any of the parks? Because there needs to be. He's the best.
Only Disney California Adventure.

i-28vwZGv-L.jpg

No Olaf M&G anywhere at WDW, which is just sad.

If not in DHS, you can go to Vegas... we saw tons of Olafs on the Strip when we were there in July! :)
Olaf Impersonators, the new Elvis impersonators.

In regards to Little Mermaid, the difference is it didn't inundate the parks the way that Frozen is now. Little Mermaid took a couple years to get a show at HS (MGM then), and then a long time later finally got a ride at MK. And this is similar to other hits from the past with their theme park treatment, although some got a ride more quickly. Frozen's getting a lot more stuff a lot more quickly, it's too much for one film/franchise

Olaf Impersonators, the new Elvis impersonators.

In regards to Little Mermaid, the difference is it didn't inundate the parks the way that Frozen is now. Little Mermaid took a couple years to get a show at HS (MGM then), and then a long time later finally got a ride at MK. And this is similar to other hits from the past with their theme park treatment, although some got a ride more quickly. Frozen's getting a lot more stuff a lot more quickly, it's too much for one film/franchise
But outside of the Frozen Summer stuff, which is a limited time event you've got exactly two everyday Frozen experiences in the parks: A M&G at MK and a singalong show at DHS. Not exactly "a lot more stuff" on the way, either -- just a ride and a M&G (which may replace the MK one) at Epcot in a spot that if you wanted to walk by it and ignore it forever, it would be extraordinarily easy.

The film itself made $1.3 billion at the box office and however hundreds of millions more in album sales, DVD sales and merchandise. Disney is giving the people (the majority, not the vocal minority) what they want. But when you look at what's actually there and what's coming, it isn't really that much.

I don't think even the minority have an issue with having events/shows/m&g for any character or movie. The issue is Disney just plopping stages, etc in places they don't belong that take away from their surroundings. Disney blends resorts and other background necessities with the countries in World Showcase for a reason, they don't want to affect the look and feel of the country it represents. Disney is getting sloppy with the way they handle the parks, whether it be throwing a stage in just anywhere to the never ending tarps everywhere. I remember a time when park projects were done without leaving guests feeling like they paid to visit construction zones in a park not fully open IMO. We have been going for 30+ years and still love Disney World, but it's growing/refurb pains are showing.

too much Frozen stuff at or soon to be at the parks, I don't think it's ever been so much for just 1 movie/1 movie series no matter how successful

I have to completely agree with this statement. I have been to WDW many many MANY times, starting since the 80s. There has never been a one-movie-only dedicated store before. Muppets didn't count, because it was a gift shop for the ride, as was Star Wars and Indiana Jones. They have a dedicated Frozen shop in DHS, and its NO WHERE near the indoor singalong stage. That, BTW, was a big disappointment. They make the audience sing all the songs, and you don't even get to see the main characters till the very end, last song. Little girls seem to like it anyhow.

Does DHS have a Frozen parade? That I am ok with, because historically, MGM always had a parade for the latest movie (Aladdin, Lion King, Hercules, Mulan, Toy Story), Stars in Cars was always a disappointment compared to these. The disappointing sing along Frozen show at DHS, always had a history of changing with whatever current movie came out. I remember seeing an extremely impressive Hunchback of Notre Dame show, despite being a mediocre movie.

But every park has a Frozen dedicated store. If you see something with Mickey Mouse on it, it was a mistake. Epcot's Frozen store was located inside the Norway pavilion. You don't see a section of China dedicated to Mulan. Believe me. I went when it came out, and the years that followed. There wasn't any merchandise, or reference. Then again, she wasn't a princess. If they planned to get rid of whatever attraction they had in China to replace it with a Mulan ride that showed off Chinese culture I would be ok with that. I thought the Three Caballeros update to the Mexico ride was great, but if Maelstrom gets replaced by a Frozen ride that has absolutely nothing to do with Norway culture, I will more disappointed than when I showed up to the ride in march, only to discover that it was closed.

The meet and greet at the parks, I totally get (well, other than the 180 minute wait for Anna and Elsa). Just not so sure that DHS needs two frozen stage shows in one park. Someone brought up The Little Mermaid. That was the first modern disney princess that Generation Y/Millennials had. (What's Black Cauldron?) I remember it being a big deal growing up. I remember the McDonalds tie in, but not a whole lot of merchandise. Certainly not as much as there are today. We had the Voyage of the Little Mermaid at MGM since 1992. Then I think bringing it out of the vault, throwing in two cheesy sequels (although we had a TV series.) is what caused the increased love. That and the whole disney princess marketing/licensing phenomenon of this century, also increased the love of the mermaid, which is why in 2011/2012, 22/23 years after the film, we got Journey of the Little Mermaid. Still, no dedicate shops though. Even the ones tied to the attractions sell other things than Little Mermaid stuff.

I really liked Frozen, but I don't see it any better than Tangled or Princess in the Frog. The animation was just as good, as was the story and music, yet what love did they get? I think Tangled got a bathroom in magic kingdom out of it. But honestly, they had been needing to remodel that skyway entrance for some time now.

I think they should use the Be Our Guest stage for Frozen shows. Comparing blocking the theater with that huge stage with Star Wars is a stretch since Star Wars is thankfully in its own area.

But they already have the Frozen Sing Along Celebration. I think two Frozen stage shows in one single park is a bit too much. Plus that one was just a disappointment anyway. They make the audience sing, which the crowd of 7yo and under girls in their little elsa dresses are more than happy to do. But you're stuck singing along and watching clips of the movie, something you could have easily done at home, and they don't even get to see the main characters until the last 5 minutes where there's an encore of Let It Go.

Thank goodness I had a fastpass. But I felt real bad that we did not have time for the Be Our Guest show. I was hoping this would be like a Frozen version of that, but I was wrong, and ended up hating the show more, feeling like if I had a choice, my time would've been better spent there. I've seen it in the 90s. Clearly its good enough to still be around today. I hope that it will still be around so that one day I can finally see it with my daughter, like I had originally hoped to do earlier this year.

But they already have the Frozen Sing Along Celebration. I think two Frozen stage shows in one single park is a bit too much. Plus that one was just a disappointment anyway. They make the audience sing, which the crowd of 7yo and under girls in their little elsa dresses are more than happy to do. But you're stuck singing along and watching clips of the movie, something you could have easily done at home, and they don't even get to see the main characters until the last 5 minutes where there's an encore of Let It Go.

Thank goodness I had a fastpass. But I felt real bad that we did not have time for the Be Our Guest show. I was hoping this would be like a Frozen version of that, but I was wrong, and ended up hating the show more, feeling like if I had a choice, my time would've been better spent there. I've seen it in the 90s. Clearly its good enough to still be around today. I hope that it will still be around so that one day I can finally see it with my daughter, like I had originally hoped to do earlier this year.

Well, Beauty and the Beast has a major presence in the parks, and that movie is more than 20 years old. "Enchanted Tales with Belle," "Beauty and the Beast Live," and an entire, GIGANTIC themed restaurant Be Our Guest as well as Beast's Castle in New Famtasyland and essentially Belle's own gift shop. Belle regularly meets in France at Epcot, and Belle and Beast lead the "Festival of Fantasy" parade at MK. Gaston has his Tavern, a fountain, and his own Meet and Greet. So, Frozen is not the only movie with a major presence.

Additionally, the success and popularity of Frozen has far surpassed even Disney's wildest dreams. Frozen merchandise is still prevalent EVERYWHERE because people are continuing to demand it. It fills shelves at Target and Toys R Us. Now that the movie has been out for almost 2 years and it's popularity still does not to be waning, Disney is capitalizing on it. Clearly, as evidenced by the difficulty of obtaining Fast Passes for the A&E meet and greet, as well as how difficult ADRs at Askerhaus are to obtain, the demand for Frozen and it's characters is still great. Disney is responding to the market. And, it seems as if they are being very smart about it. The only permanent attraction will be the new ride in Norway. The Frozrn Sing-a-Long Show that you seem to have so much vitriol for can easily be replaced when it's popularity disappears. The summer programs on the temporary stage at HS along with the fireworks (which people seem to adore) will be gone in a couple of weeks. Certainly, if Frozen isn't as popular next summer, something else will takes its place. If Anna and Else lose traction, there is no reason in the world that they can't be replaced with different princesses.

While I agree that Tangled and Princess and the Frog were great movies, the demand for Frozen among the majority clearly surpasses that for Rapunzel and Tiana. Otherwise, we'd be seeing the creation of Creole Cafe in The American Adventure.

Last edited:
Guess who's not sick of Frozen? Little 5 year old girls. Come on people.... it's not FOR YOU. It's for them.

I promise you that your parents were also sick of hearing about The Little Mermaid over and over and over from you when you were 5.

Honestly, I can't even comprehend this post. :)
I don't know if it's because the concept that Disney is for children...I don't accept that.
Or
The Little Mermaid and 5 years old comment. If that is supposed to be sarcasm and calling Seilerbird a baby, a five year old in 1989 would 31 years old today. So that's not funny. Maybe using Bambi or Pinnochio would have been funnier?

I think it needs a revision.

I don't think even the minority have an issue with having events/shows/m&g for any character or movie. The issue is Disney just plopping stages, etc in places they don't belong that take away from their surroundings. Disney blends resorts and other background necessities with the countries in World Showcase for a reason, they don't want to affect the look and feel of the country it represents. Disney is getting sloppy with the way they handle the parks, whether it be throwing a stage in just anywhere to the never ending tarps everywhere. I remember a time when park projects were done without leaving guests feeling like they paid to visit construction zones in a park not fully open IMO. We have been going for 30+ years and still love Disney World, but it's growing/refurb pains are showing.

You articulated my thoughts perfectly.

Guess who's not sick of Frozen? Little 5 year old girls. Come on people.... it's not FOR YOU. It's for them.

I promise you that your parents were also sick of hearing about The Little Mermaid over and over and over from you when you were 5.
Disney is not for 5 year old little girls, Disney is for everyone. And my parents did not get sick of hearing about The Little Mermaid when I was 5 years old. Disneyland wasn't even in existence in 1953 when I was 5 years old. However I did manage to talk them into a pony ride and a Davy Crockett outfit when I was seven years old.
Tom%201955-03.jpg

Well, Beauty and the Beast has a major presence in the parks, and that movie is more than 20 years old. "Enchanted Tales with Belle," "Beauty and the Beast Live," and an entire, GIGANTIC themed restaurant Be Our Guest as well as Beast's Castle in New Famtasyland and essentially Belle's own gift shop. Belle regularly meets in France at Epcot, and Belle and Beast lead the "Festival of Fantasy" parade at MK. Gaston has his Tavern, a fountain, and his own Meet and Greet. So, Frozen is not the only movie with a major presence.

Sorry, I think I confused Be Our Guest with Beauty And The Beast Live, rendering my original statement about two Frozens in one park pointless. But the thing about the Bell section, and even the Little Mermaid section of Fantasyland is that it didn't really replace anything. It was a mere extension of the park. Now, while yes, they did remove the 2000 leagues under the sea attraction, I think we can all agree that the majority going to the park, adult or kid, has never even seen the movie. And while Toon Town will also be missed, it really was just an elaborate meet and greet.

So really, before that, the park, magic kingdom, didn't really have anything but cast members waving on a float, or a surprise meet and greet that you didn't even know about. The princess meet and greets took over some very much loved rides that were timeless classics, but I understand that not many have heard, let alone, seen The Adventures of Mr Toad. But I remember going to the parks with my brother when he was 4-6. We had to wait and take pictures and get signatures for absolutely every character we just happen to see. Didn't matter how many Goofys, didn't matter if it was Ratcliff, didn't matter if it was some obscure female mouse from Cinderella. As a 13yo, I wanted to ride rides, see shows, shop. Not wait in some obnoxious line to see a different Goofy. But whose gonna let a 13yo run off and do their own thing? So, to the children (and parents) stuck in a 180 minute line to see Elsa, even though they had a character breakfast with her earlier that morning, I feel extremely sorry. But Disneys going to keep it, because clearly its a success, and its a whole lot cheaper to maintain than a 27 year old ride, or even the one that followed.

Additionally, the success and popularity of Frozen has far surpassed even Disney's wildest dreams. Frozen merchandise is still prevalent EVERYWHERE because people are continuing to demand it. It fills shelves at Target and Toys R Us. Now that the movie has been out for almost 2 years and it's popularity still does not to be waning, Disney is capitalizing on it.

I honestly think they've simply started to market themselves better, and understood that there's a lot of money in merchandising. I mean, think of the vault. There was a time when kids were unfamiliar with many disney classics. Their only exposure was if it was rereleased to theaters, their parents bought/rented the movie, or it just happened to be airing on The Wonderful World of Disney. But now, these movies are shown all the time on the Disney Channel, Disney XD and even Disney Junior. They will definitely show princess movies on Disney Junior! And why? What girl is going to want an Ariel toddler doll, or a Cinderella gown, if they have never seen the movie? There was once a time when, if you wanted merchandise, it HAD to be the year the movie came out. And what tend to happen was that the merchandise came out a month before the theatrical release, and once they were gone, that was it. There was no christmas merchandise unless it was a November release. And I'm talking about the 90s here. The 80s, well, you were just lucky if you lived anywhere near a Disney Store. Try finding an Oliver plush now! I dare you!

Anyway, back on topic, for my daughters birthday, she wanted skates. Since she's a girl, she needed something that screamed "I'M FEMALE!!!" There were three options. Pink disney princess, purple Sofia The First, or blue Frozen. Guess what. Both Target and Toys R Us did not carry the Frozen skates in their stores. They were online only. Thankfully my mother found them at Walmart. But really, which do you think has a better chance at selling? The one from a movie that came out 2 years ago? I was very surprised that two stores that have a huge dedicated Frozen section, did not allow shelf space to Frozen skates. I mean, TRU had Frozen bikes, and a frozen power wheels mustang. But no Frozen skates?!? That's where they drew the line?!?

While I agree that Tangled and Princess and the Frog were great movies, the demand for Frozen among the majority clearly surpasses that for Rapunzel and Tiana. Otherwise, we'd be seeing the creation of Creole Cafe in The American Adventure.

I think Disney was just afraid that they weren't strong enough to go solo. They like to clump all the princesses together. Even now you'll see them hanging around with the classics. While Anna and Elsa still remain by themselves, refusing to mingle with the lesser princesses. The other issue was they were alienating their male demographic. Rapunzel was renamed Tangled, and had a male character and backstory added so the boys would have at least something. Eugene is basically Christoff. With Princess and the Frog, it has "princess" right in its name. The male lead is a frog throughout the majority of it, and he's not really someone any kid can look up to. What exactly are they going to sell? Plus they risked too much by making them ethnic looking, and bringing back 2D. Too much experimenting going on in one film. It's great, I wouldn't change a thing, but I think it made marketing a bit more difficult.

And one last thing, ignoring Pixar, I don't think Disney knew they were going to have a second renaissance. What did they have before Tiana and Rapunzel? Chicken Little? Meet the Robinsons? Bolt? They were decent movies, but they just never really had anything that wowed us since Lilo and Stitch. And I don't think I have to remind you about the 3 sequels and 2 TV series that followed that one. At least Alien Encounter got a decent revamp.

Frozen Summer Fun (2015 edition) ends 9/7. The stage is temporary and is erected when necessary for special events (like Star Wars Weekends, etc.).

I'm arriving Sept 8th, so will the stage (hopefully) be gone?

Nope, mine were sick of seeing me and my friends in fake coon skin hats and hearing about Davy Crockette (you know, The King of the Wild Frontier!) :)

I don't think even the minority have an issue with having events/shows/m&g for any character or movie. The issue is Disney just plopping stages, etc in places they don't belong that take away from their surroundings.

DHS has had a stage in that spot for many years now. Would I like to find a way for them to not block GMR? Yep. But I don't blame Frozen for it, or Star Wars Weekend for that matter. It's what has to happen if the park is going to have night time entertainment.

They have a dedicated Frozen shop in DHS, and its NO WHERE near the indoor singalong stage.

Do you know what was in that store before they put the Frozen merchandise in? A store full of Planet Hollywood merchandise that sold nothing all day, every day.

Does DHS have a Frozen parade?

Just for the summertime event. It's a three-float processional.

But they already have the Frozen Sing Along Celebration. I think two Frozen stage shows in one single park is a bit too much.

Are you calling the limited time Olaf show on the outdoor stage a second Frozen show in the park. It's five minutes long, includes one song and will be gone Sept. 7.

I'm arriving Sept 8th, so will the stage (hopefully) be gone?

I doubt Disney is taking down the stage. It has Season of the Force coming and so the fireworks show each night will likely include some sort of stage show, just like Symphony in the Stars and the Frozen fireworks.

I think there's more complaining about Frozen then actual Frozen content I've seen in the park.

If Disney had the same clue about profiting off wildly popular movies back in the 90s, there would be Little Mermaid everything and Beauty And The Beast everything.

OP, I gotta agree with you 100%. I was looking forward to seeing the 'new' view as it was before the hat as we didn't start going until after it was up. Wasn't prepared for that awful stage. We, too, thought it was Frozen overkill. My daughter and I weren't fans of the movie to begin with. Aside from the one song, we didn't understand its popularity. That being said, things like this don't ruin our experience. We still had a blast at HS. Really looking forward to all the new updates coming to this park.

I think they should use the Be Our Guest stage for Frozen shows. Comparing blocking the theater with that huge stage with Star Wars is a stretch since Star Wars is thankfully in its own area.

Actually, that's the exact same stage they erect for Star Wars Weekends but with different decor. So I think it is a pretty apt comparison. For most of May & June the view (of theatre now or hat before) is equally obstructed with the stage featuring Star Wars signage, and unlike the Frozen summer event it isn't even used every day during that stretch. For 4 days a week it is just sitting there, waiting for the weekend.

Honestly, I can't even comprehend this post. :)
I don't know if it's because the concept that Disney is for children...I don't accept that.
Or
The Little Mermaid and 5 years old comment. If that is supposed to be sarcasm and calling Seilerbird a baby, a five year old in 1989 would 31 years old today. So that's not funny. Maybe using Bambi or Pinnochio would have been funnier?

I think it needs a revision.
right, Disney has always been supposed to be a place that both children and adults can enjoy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter