They Should Make Margaritas a Snack Credit! - September 2011 Dining Review

Loved your review of Tokyo dining and what nice service you guys had - love the Kitty heart at the end as well.

The photos look just fine to me - look forward to reading more.

Not at all, though it's going to be one of those seat of the pants kind of descriptions. You've been warned:rotfl2:

When you walk into TD, you face the hostess desk. Basically our table was behind the hostess desk, along the window on the right corner. I think no matter where you are along the window seats (which run the length of the restaurant) you'll have a great view. Ours was just extra nice because it was the corner table, effectively along two windows and kind of private.

Now that I think about it, if you ask for the "corner window seat facing the lagoon" you should be ok.:thumbsup2

Honestly, though, we had what I think is the best seat in the house, but unless you want to sit at the sushi bar... you'll have a great view.

Thanks so much! Your review (this and your other) is getting me sooooo excited! I can't believe i have a little over 2 weeks left! :scared1:
Anyway, thanks again!:worship:

I'm so in !! The pics w/ your dad are so wonderful....the bunny ear one is just priceless ! :lovestruc

I am in for dining too!!! I came specifically to see your opinion on Tokyo Dining as I just made an ADR here on our last night (I still cannot get Cali Grille before 9pm the whole week we are there!!) Plus, the "commute" is a lot easier to Tokyo Dining from the BC than it is to CR!!

I am NOT a sushi fan (at all) but DH and DS love it. But it seemed like there are a few things on the menu that I would like so I will be a sport and let them pick a meal for a change ;)

Can't wait for more!! :goodvibes
Kristin

Just found your review. I had Tokyo Dining on and off my list several times last trip. It ended up off and I am sorry now after reading your review! Going to try to make it a must do for our next trip!

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

Great review so far. I've never had sushi because I've always been too afraid of it :laughing: But I do like a lot of seafood so maybe one day. It sounds like you guys had a great first meal!

Loved your review of Tokyo dining and what nice service you guys had - love the Kitty heart at the end as well.

The photos look just fine to me - look forward to reading more.

That little heart was just the sweetest touch, I think. We had little moments of pixie dust like that all throughout our trip... how nice!:goodvibes

Thanks so much! Your review (this and your other) is getting me sooooo excited! I can't believe i have a little over 2 weeks left! :scared1:
Anyway, thanks again!:worship:

Just 12 days for you now, how exciting!!! If there is a place on my list that you'd like some info about, but don't have time to wait for my lazy butt to get into gear to add it to the Dining Review, go ahead and send me a PM, I'll be happy to give you quick impressions of anywhere we've been!:thumbsup2

I'm so in !! The pics w/ your dad are so wonderful....the bunny ear one is just priceless ! :lovestruc

:welcome: Dad was fond of the "bunny ears"... I actually have a collection of photos over the years of him doing that to everyone in the family. It's a great memory I have of him, and one of these days I'm going to put together a collage of them!

I am in for dining too!!! I came specifically to see your opinion on Tokyo Dining as I just made an ADR here on our last night (I still cannot get Cali Grille before 9pm the whole week we are there!!) Plus, the "commute" is a lot easier to Tokyo Dining from the BC than it is to CR!!

I am NOT a sushi fan (at all) but DH and DS love it. But it seemed like there are a few things on the menu that I would like so I will be a sport and let them pick a meal for a change ;)

Can't wait for more!! :goodvibes
Kristin

Welcome over here, Kristin! :goodvibes You'll like Tokyo Dining, and there are a lot of non-sushi (esp. non raw fish) offerings on the menu, so I'm sure you'll find something extra yummy.

Working on San Angel Inn today, hopefully will have it posted this evening or first thing tomorrow!

I'm in.popcorn:: Can't wait for more.:goodvibes

:welcome: and hope you enjoy!!!

Just found your review. I had Tokyo Dining on and off my list several times last trip. It ended up off and I am sorry now after reading your review! Going to try to make it a must do for our next trip!

Looking forward to the rest of your reviews!

It's always nice to have something to look forward to on a next trip, though, right? :rotfl: I already have a list of things we didn't get to try.... and I'm planning on doing at least a FEW of them!

Great review so far. I've never had sushi because I've always been too afraid of it :laughing: But I do like a lot of seafood so maybe one day. It sounds like you guys had a great first meal!

Don't fear the sushi.... it is gooooooood.... yeah, brain washing doesn't work over text, does it? :rotfl2:

Honestly, I wasn't always a sushi fan. I was introduced to it years ago and couldn't get over the texture of the nori (seaweed wrappers) that wrapped a lot of the rolls. I told myself I would try one non-cooked sushi variety each time I visisted a Japanese restaurant. That way the majority of my meal was something else, and I just sampled my way into what has become a suhi obsession.

A word of warning, however. When you feel brave enough to try some (and I hope you do!:goodvibes) so NOT, under ANY circumstance, try sea urchin, squid, or clam on your first visit. :laughing:

La Cava Del Tequila

For those of you who have read my PTR, you understand the reasoning why we had to eat at San Angel our first night at Disney. My dad loved this place, from the ever twilight sky, to the skeleton mariachi band on the boat ride, to the chips and salsa. It was, hands down, his favorite place to eat while at Disney. :lovestruc

So, it was a complete no brainer that we spend our first night celebrating his legacy. We checked in at the hostess desk and judging from the number of people milling about, we thought we’d slip into Cava del Tequila for a quick drink before our meal. Let’s just say there was a really looooong wait before our table was ready. You probably know what that means.

IMG_0366.jpg

(Not the best picture of the bar…but the place is GORGEOUS…)

To start, first impressions of the little bar off the side of San Angel. Love.:cloud9: From the creative drinks to the gorgeous bar to the amazing bartenders, this is a highly recommended place in my book! We decided to find a space at the bar (for those of you who are wondering, it’s standing room only at the bar itself, but if you can find a space there, take it….a much more interesting experience than sitting at a table. (If your feet can handle it after a long day in the parks, that is!:rotfl2:) We opened up the bar menu and stared blankly at it for a few moments, then one of the bartenders put a little shot glass in front of me with a pink concoction in it. Turns out it was a sample of the Blood Orange Margarita. Good, but not what I was looking for.

100_0252.jpg

(So many choices, but just one little liver to spare…)

I asked for a Jalapeno Margarita, and was asked how I’d like it? Extra spicy, of course!

100_0248.jpg

(Yes, those little white things you see are the seeds….)

Seriously people, do not do this unless you have a death wish. I mean it.:eek: I adore spicy foods and can eat peppers on their own to steal a few bucks off any of my friends. However, the cumulative effect of one of these puppies will keep you from drinking anything at all for a awhile. :goodvibesAlso, it’s less of a bargain, because the bottom third of my glass was all muddled jalapeno. Yes, there was that much in the glass.:sick:

All that aside, it was delish, and I vowed I would try another one, but just normal spicy next time. (As a plus, it took me so long to drink it, I didn’t order another drink with dinner….I nursed it for hours!)

Mike ordered a Cucumber Margarita, which was super refreshing. Then we got to talking to the bartenders, and discussed the story of why we were at San Angel. I asked if he could give us two shots of Patron in honor of my dad (who did not drink, but when he did…..yes, I realize I’m sounding like The World’s Most Interesting Man here….he drank Tequila;)) but he suggested a different one for a shot. No, I don’t remember what it was. I took poor notes that night and both the tequila and jalapenos were going to my head!

100_0249.jpg

(The presentation of the tequila shots is lovely… truly a high quality bar….did I mention how gorgeous the bar is???)

What I do recall is the “Sangrita”, a lovely concoction of fruit juices and peppers that they serve as a “chaser” to the tequila shots. It’s amazing.:thumbsup2 They gave me the recipe… I will share it if you want. It’s the red shot glass in the picture above. We raised a toast to my dad, and as much as I hate tequila shots…I was glad we did it.

Quick check to the hostess desk and we were STILL waiting on our table….:mad: So Mike ordered sipping tequila that a couple next to us was drinking and highly recommended. He ordered it before I was able to kick him under the bar, because this tequila was 60 dollars!!!

IMG_0367.jpg

(it came in such a lovely glass!)

100_0254.jpg

(8 th down on the Specialty and Reserve list, Patron….ouch!)

A few notes on the bar… the menu is expansive…..if you are ordering drinks. There are only a handful of food options on the menu there, mostly chips and salsa. However, the queso and guacamole are great, and for those of you who love chipotle peppers, man, you are going to love the salsa! Personally, I’m a fan of salsa fresca, but that’s just me.:confused3

I’ll have a few more Cava reviews (parts 2 and 3!) later in my Dining Review…. I thought I would split them up by nights just because the experience was different each time (all good though!:yay:)

So FINALLY our buzzer went off for dinner:woohoo:…. Up next…. Did San Angel live up to the (bad) reviews? And why DO they keep the lights down so dark at the tables?:idea:

Cheers!

Jen

I :lovestruc cava del tequila. I am going to try the cucumber one this time around.

A TR AND a dining review? :cloud9: :cool1:

Yum, I love la cava. Yum, yum, yum... Best way to start off the night in Epcot :thumbsup2 Or end it... or in the middle :rotfl:

Totally loving your review so far and I love your writing style! The title of this review really sucked me in. :rotfl2: I loved Cava de Tequila as well but there is no way I'd even be able to try even the weakest jalapeno margarita let alone the one you had! :scared1: Can't wait for more!

BTW, I love the photo of you and the origami heart!

Ahhhh La Cava... aka "The Ditch", is a fave of ours and many of our friends. I didn't realize there was a "spicy" version of the Jalapeno Margarita, I've always ordered it and it's never been offered to me as extra spicy. I'll keep ordering the regular version!:laughing:

La Cava sounds wonderful! I love your descriptions and pictures. Simply gorgeous. My eyes are watering just looking at that drink! Woah!

I ordered the Jalapeno margarita when I was there and it was NOT spicy at all! I wish it would have been a little spicy but your margarita looks way tooo spicy! I love fresh jalapeno as well but all those seeds in there are what makes it bad!

Don't fear the sushi.... it is gooooooood.... yeah, brain washing doesn't work over text, does it? :rotfl2:

Honestly, I wasn't always a sushi fan. I was introduced to it years ago and couldn't get over the texture of the nori (seaweed wrappers) that wrapped a lot of the rolls. I told myself I would try one non-cooked sushi variety each time I visisted a Japanese restaurant. That way the majority of my meal was something else, and I just sampled my way into what has become a suhi obsession.

A word of warning, however. When you feel brave enough to try some (and I hope you do!:goodvibes) so NOT, under ANY circumstance, try sea urchin, squid, or clam on your first visit. :laughing:

Haha nope brainwashing by text doesnt work very well ;) The seafood that I do like is mostly crab legs sole, pollock and salmon but I do like scallops as well and the occassional lobster.

Your review of that bar is great! I love jalapenos but even that drink looks a little too spicy for me :scared1:

I've only been to Cava Del Tequila once and I had the amazing Avocado Margarita :cloud9:
It's going to be hard to try something new next week but the blood orange one sounds good - was it super sweet?
Looking forward to the San Angel review :goodvibes

I'm so happy that you got to go to San Angel Inn in memory of your dad :thumbsup2

Wow just looking at that Jalapeno Margarita is making my mouth burn from all the spices! :lmao:

Looking forward to the review of San Angel Inn.

I missed going to Cava del Tequila this trip. I had a few sips here and there whenever DCuz ordered but I was designated driver and DH not being on this trip meant that I was responsible for DS 8 so I had to stay sober. However, there's always next trip and next one has 5 adults and just DS so I think I could dream to have my beloved Avocado Magarita. :cloud9:

You guys were at WDW just before us!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter