They Should Make Margaritas a Snack Credit! - September 2011 Dining Review

So sorry that you meal at San Angel Inn wasn't good. :sad2: I guess it has been getting lots of mixed reviews on board. I love the ambience and setting of the restaurant depite how dark it is (need flashlight to read). :laughing:

I understand about not liking dishes since everyone has different taste but an hour wait for the table is really too long. :scared1:

We choose La Hacienda, Mexico's another TS restaurant this trip. It too has mixed reviews but we all enjoyed our meal there.

Actually, I think that salad was worth $10. Last time I checked, Wendy's doesn't have "romantic" tables with a view like that. I think you got lucky... ;)

I'm glad you got a nice table at San Angel and a good appetizer...at least :thumbsup2

I can't praise those corn cakes enough... :thumbsup2

Sadly, La Hacienda only serves dinner. If it had lunch it would be a no brainer for us to try it! But that would also pull us away from our traditional Rose N Crown ADR- a must do lunch ressie for us EVERY trip!

We split some nachos at the Cantina last November and they were OK. I have it on my radar if we need a CS meal in EPCOT during the day. But I really want to check out the Norway sandwiches (read: desserts) for lunch too!

What is the next meal on your agenda??? popcorn::

I'm torn right now between Cantina and Sunshine Seasons. I think we might go with Seasons and just get some yummy chips from Cava. Best of both worlds?:goodvibes

Thanks for posting the review of San Angel. Maybe we'll bag it. If we stay, I will be staying in a galaxy far, far away from the chicken mole. And yours is not the first review I read where they took a long time to seat a party. I hope they don't that to us. My kids are good, but not that good.

You can't beat the atmosphere in the Mexico pavilion, truly. :rotfl: on the kids subject. You could do like I saw some families do. Give them a pair of maracas and get yourself a margarita while you wait.:rotfl2:

Glad you enjoyed Cava and San Angel. Good point about waiting for a late dinner... I imagine the catcalling from the boat riders got old, real fast! Bummer.

And I have to say, I wouldn't even be able to try that jalapeño drink! Just touching one of those to my lips makes them go numb... I can't think of what those would do to my stomach! :scared:

Yeah, there's something seriously wrong with me that I love spicy food. It's not healthy... I'm sure my stomach lining is half burned away... but they are soooooo good.:love:

Shame that the food at San Angel wasn't great but it still sounds like you had a lovely evening together :goodvibes

We did, in the end, it's what you make of things, right?:goodvibes

Here is the recipe that I use. As I mentioned, it is in no way authentic (it came from a woman's magazine called "First"- I'm not sure if the magazine is still sold) but I really like it. And it is very quick and easy to prepare:

Oh my, this looks delish! Thank you so much for sharing Dee, I think we'll make it next week, sounds like we'll be getting another cold spell coming up and this would be a perfect meal to warm us up!:hug:

So sorry that you meal at San Angel Inn wasn't good. :sad2: I guess it has been getting lots of mixed reviews on board. I love the ambience and setting of the restaurant depite how dark it is (need flashlight to read). :laughing:

I understand about not liking dishes since everyone has different taste but an hour wait for the table is really too long. :scared1:

We choose La Hacienda, Mexico's another TS restaurant this trip. It too has mixed reviews but we all enjoyed our meal there.

We'll have to give La Hacienda a try on one of our next trips just to change things up a bit. :goodvibes Thanks for the tip!:thumbsup2

Actually, I think that salad was worth $10. Last time I checked, Wendy's doesn't have "romantic" tables with a view like that. I think you got lucky... ;)

Hmm, good point. I guess I just wanted to say if you're going to spend the 10 dollars on something, maybe choose something else from the menu that utilizes more ingredients than croutons and iceberg lettuce.:confused3

We were expecting the most amazing Cesar salad ever, according to the menu description (it had a history, no less;)) and we simply didn't get it. Just trying to help people make informed decisions - but like I said, your mileage may vary.:goodvibes

Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a great week!:goodvibes

Just wanted to give you a heads up that our next review won't be posted until next week, as we're heading out of town for the Chincoteague Oyster Festival tomorrow.

A full weekend of fried seafood, good music, and great friends! I'm extra excited because I get to take my nieces their Disney gifts with me, I hope they like them!:goodvibes

When we return, I'll be sharing our thoughts on Cinderella's Royal Table.:wizard:

Have a fantastic weekend!

Here is the recipe that I use.

Ooh, that sounds good. :)

Hello everyone, I hope you all are having a great week!:goodvibes

Just wanted to give you a heads up that our next review won't be posted until next week, as we're heading out of town for the Chincoteague Oyster Festival tomorrow.

A full weekend of fried seafood, good music, and great friends! I'm extra excited because I get to take my nieces their Disney gifts with me, I hope they like them!:goodvibes

When we return, I'll be sharing our thoughts on Cinderella's Royal Table.:wizard:

Have a fantastic weekend!

You have a fantastic weekend too! It sounds like a great weekend.

CRT
CRT CRT CRT CRT!!!popcorn::

Oh no, no banging the fork and knife (and popcorn) on the table!!!!:goodvibes

I'm actually working on it today. Just got my latest TR update posted yesterday, I'm kind of in an A/B schedule for these things (and I'm still stuck on day 1 in my TR, so trying to catch up!)

Expect CRT either later today or tomorrow morning. :thumbsup2

Ooh, that sounds good. :)

You have a fantastic weekend too! It sounds like a great weekend.

Thanks Janet! It was a lot of fun, and a LOT of oysters were eaten.... I kept telling myself "oh, these aren't fattening..." and then ate another dozen... :rotfl2:

Subscribing. I knew when I saw your title that this was the trip report for me! :rotfl2: I'm really looking forward to trying La Cava next spring (and one of those yummy avacado margaritas)! :goodvibes

I swear, I'm still here! My life just got super crazy the past month, lots of travel and family time (all good though, in the grand scheme of things)... .I look forward to sharing more reviews VERY soon!:goodvibes

A little late, but I'm very glad I found your review! Very informative, and entertaining. It's very sweet what you and your husband did by honoring your dad w/ this trip. :goodvibes

Cinderella’s Royal Table

I will preface this review with one very important comment: I do not have children. I love kids, and hope to have one someday in the future, but I am still very much enjoying my selfish life. This will be an important note to keep in mind while you read this review. :thumbsup2

Let’s all be honest, one does not really go to CRT for the gourmet meal.:lmao: They go for the princesses, and for the view. For those two reasons alone, I say you cannot go wrong getting an ADR for this experience. And that’s what they make it for you; an experience that I personally feel is worth every penny.

If you like princesses parading next to your table and interrupting each bite of food you eat.

I thought I would be fine with this.

Well…..

But let’s go back to the beginning, shall we?:cutie: You check in at a kiosk that gives you a printed ticket with your party name, number, etc. Then they usher you into a large cavernous room which is just gorgeous, all stone walls and suits of armor standing guard.

DSC_0774.jpg

If you look hard enough, you might even see two of Cinderella’s little helpers standing guard. This is the kind of thing I love about Disney, the attention to detail.

100_0340.jpg

As we waited for our names to be “announced” (ie: called up to breakfast!) an extremely amusing gentleman quizzed the crowd on Disney trivia, both movies, the parks, etc. I would say he had a slight sarcastic bent to his humor, but it wasn’t anything that would distract the children and made the adults waiting in the queue quite relaxed. I adored him.

We slowly moved forward in the line until we were ready for our “audience” with Cinderella. Two notes:

1.The CM there actually looked the way I would expect Cinderella to. princess:
2.She was extremely nice and funny.

I asked if we could do a silly picture, basically me standing off to the side like a quite upset wicked stepsister while Mike bowed over Cinderella’s hand. We thought it was hilarious. Cinderella thought it was “Charming”.

The photographer did not,:mad: and made us take a second picture, which is the one that was brought to our table. None of us (inc Cindy!) look happy in it, which, to me, is hilarious. I understand they want a particular image to go forward, but it’s not as if we were doing anything inappropriate. Ah well, it was a funny memory at least.

Once you take your picture, they usher you along the wall until your name is announced to be sent upstairs. We probably only waited 5 minutes for this, not bad at all.

Our table location pixie dust continued to flow down as they led us to the most adorable table for two RIGHT IN THE CENTER OF THE WINDOWS.:lovestruc You don’t get a better view than that. Of the construction crane. Ah well, if you close one eye you don’t see it. We were told this was to put up the Christmas lights, but I wonder if they weren’t doing other things as well.

100_0346.jpg

(This was taken off to the side a bit to try and hide the crane in the way, but the windows were amazing and see the Carousel in the background? That was so much fun to look out over, especially all the kids (and a vew adults as well!) trying to pull the Sword out of the Stone.)

We both decided to order different items, since these are all-you-can eat style meals. Mike picked the classic hot breakfast (sausage, bacon, eggs, etc.) and I went for the cold breakfast (fruit, yogurt, and granola). We got lots of coffee and orange juice to start, along with a plate (and by plate I mean large platter:eek:) of chocolate and cinnamon rolls.

100_0347.jpg

(The cinnamon rolls were actually pretty good, but the overall pastry plate just felt kind of “eh” to us.)

Here is a picture of Mike’s breakfast plate. The sausage was exceptional, the bacon was ok, but I am a big fan of bacon just this side of charcoal, so I’m not one to judge. The potatoes were extremely bland, and the eggs were well cooked, if not spiced. Makes perfect sense that they wouldn’t be as this is a restaurant that caters to children, who we all know are the pickiest eaters alive at one point or another.

100_0353.jpg

(Reminder, this is all you can eat, so he could have requested more at any time)

I am a granola fan, and this was a pretty good mix (though a bit heavy on the puffed rice) the berry yogurt covering it was pretty good too. The best part was on top, caramelized bananas.

100_0352.jpg

(Heaven. In a bowl.)

I am telling you I could eat these for DAYS. Honey glazed bananas either pan fried or hit with a torch (I’m guessing pan fried) until the sugar gets all crunchy and beautiful. I shared one with Mike, maybe two…. But then they were all mine! (Insert maniacal laugh here.:lmao:)

Our server was great, very attentive and didn’t rush us one bit. The coffee was surprisingly good. The orange juice even better. (Fresh squeezed. Yay, Florida!!!)

Oh, but then the Princesses. Yes, yes, I know. This is what you pay for, so I shouldn’t complain. Honestly, if you have girls who are princess mad, do EVERYTHING you can to get a reservation here. The looks on their sweet faces as each CM walked around, that’s really a priceless memory. If we ever have a little girl, we are absolutely taking her here.

I had hoped (especially given the location of our table) that the interaction would be minimal. Sort of “Hello my Lady, hello my Lord, Happy Anniversary!” Yeah, no. They were determined to give us every bit of interaction that the other tables got.:confused3

I played nice, dear reader, I promise you.;)

Funniest moment had to have been when Sleeping Beauty walked over to our table and began talking to Mike after asking me if this was my “prince charming.” When she asked him “Have you slain any dragons?” He replied, quite deadpan. “Oh, just one.”

The look on her face was priceless. Then she demanded a picture with such a gallant knight:

100_0357.jpg

Snow White, bless her, didn’t seem to be having a good day. Then she demanded we get up and take a picture with her. Yes, demanded. No, I don’t know why.

100_0356.jpg

(Mike is doing fine with this, you can catch my resolve slipping….)

Then it was Airel who came by and we chatted with her, all the while I stared longingly at my last slice of caramelized banana.

By the time Belle (my favorite princess, by the way ) came over to our table, I was burnt. However, she was too, and proving that I have a reason for loving Belle (or at least the CM portraying her that day) she said: “How about I just stand behind your chair?” Thus eliciting the closest thing to a smile from me that breakfast:

100_0359.jpg

(See how big this bowl of granola is? I still dream about those bananas….mmmmm)

So our thoughts overall? Definitely a pricey meal, but if you want one of the best views of the Kingdom (and I can only imagine how amazing it will be once all the Fantasyland construction is done!) or you have little ones who love princesses, this is your place. The food isn’t horrible, but it is basic.

Really though, who cares about the food when your four year old in her Cinderella dress gets sit on the Throne with the “real thing”? :wizard:

Yay, you're back! :cool1:

That's a shame that the photographer wasn't willing to give you the silly picture as it sounds like it was fun and would have been a good memory to look at on a daily basis :laughing:

I'm glad to hear you liked the food and the view looks amazing! Lol at the character interaction...we loved interacting with the princesses at Akershus. The last pic of Belle standing behind your chair is a great shot!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter