The Wolfs Dance Christmas 2011 *NEW VIDEO* [from The Wolfs Dance Disney folks]

Absolutely wonderful! When we were there in April and saw the new castle show, I was so excited to see your kids on the castle you would have thought they were my own! Precious and priceless! The new video is great and I LOVE the end. Reminds me so much of my own son! Thanks guys for the video and this new forum. :)

I love this SO MUCH! Your first video is the one I watch every time I need a Disney "fix" and I have shared it with so many other people. It just captures what Disney is to me. And this one is just great! Now I have a new one to enjoy when I need some Disney magic. It is so fun to see how the kids have grown, too. When I see them on the commercials, I feel like I know them!

Thank you!

Teresa

I *love* your new video. Question - I love your tight-focused shots of your family in black and white. They look so crisp. Is that a factor of 1) having a really good camera, 2) using a tripod, 3) slowing down the playback, and/or 4) using a programmed effect in iMovie or Photoshop? I really like the ones of your kids laughing with Zoe (I think it was her) with the bucket on her head, the one with you and your daughter in the mirror that moves to your wife, and the two of the boys (with the thumb shot and the iPhone screen).

You have such talent! Thank you for sharing with us.

Video editing questions???....I can't remember to get the video camera OUT while we are there. I guess that will be step one for me. If I ever GET the video, maybe someday I can ask about editing.

Better yet, can I just hire you to come video and edit our vacations for us! :goodvibes

Excellent job on all of it!

How do I sign up for your class to make awesome vacation videos?
They start right after I finish teaching the dishwashing lessons to my boys. Don't hold your breath.

I do have a question more about organizing the files on your computer though... do you import your videos directly to iMovie? or iPhoto? And do you keep them at full quality? Can you tell me a bit about how you store the files on your computer?
I quit using iMovie after our second video, and now use Final Cut Pro 7. Regardless, if you really want to do video regularly I would very strongly encourage you to get an external hard drive or two. The prices have come down a lot. I probably have five or six now. It's a little awkward to have the external drive plugged into your laptop while you're working, but it's a much better idea. The external drive will let your computer process at full speed; you'll be able to keep your video at full quality without filling up your hard drive; and it makes it easier to back up.

Most serious editors have a bookshelf lined with portable hard drives where they keep all their stuff (then another copy somewhere else.)

You still want to import your movies using iMovie, just point it to storage on your external drive. It's in the options or preferences menu.
…I would strongly encourage everyone to keep your video and photo files backed up and to do it frequently!

…Most of the video I used was transferred from mini DV tapes… the actual tapes have kind of become a security blanket for me…
Agreed. Tapes are a GREAT medium for video, but consumers won't buy them. So now, since you've got to eventually clear your SD card, you have to make TWO copies of all your stuff (photos or videos) or it's not backed up.
(We also live in Tulsa, so if we ever run into you at the Disney Store at Woodland Hills, we'll dance with you there, too...:laughing:)
That's funny. When they first put us in the commercials, the first place they were shown (even before they were posted online) was in the Disney Stores. I actually have video of us in the Disney Store watching ourselves on that big screen behind the stuffed animals.
Question - I love your tight-focused shots of your family in black and white. They look so crisp. Is that a factor of 1) having a really good camera, 2) using a tripod, 3) slowing down the playback, and/or 4) using a programmed effect in iMovie or Photoshop? I really like the ones of your kids laughing with Zoe (I think it was her) with the bucket on her head, the one with you and your daughter in the mirror that moves to your wife, and the two of the boys (with the thumb shot and the iPhone screen).
I used two cameras throughout the week, a more straightforward camcorder, and a Canon T2i. The T2i is more difficult to use, but you can change out lenses. (I used a 50mm lens for the shallow depth of field stuff.) The quality is just amazing, but it requires manual focusing, which means a lot of imperfect stuff that I couldn't use.

Most of the eye-pleasing black and white footage is high contrast: in other words, try to shove out the grays and make everything look more black or white. I use the 3-way color corrector in Final Cut Pro. I don't know if iMovie can do this or not.
Video editing questions???....I can't remember to get the video camera OUT while we are there. I guess that will be step one for me.
A HUGE step one. After all this, it really amazes me that I almost didn't bring the camcorder two years ago (before our first video) because we never videoed anything I wanted to watch.

man..I almost teared up...but I'm at work...so didn't want to have to explain that I was watching a family video ...and a family i don't know at that...

What a great video, I had a silly grin on my face through the whole thing! I love that you included all the texting. My teen is the same way even at WDW! :laughing:

And I think that's great that you were able to connect with some of the DIS'ers that wanted to dance with your family!

I don't post much on here but wanted to get on and say that was an awesome video!! I have recently started movie editing and I know that had to take a lot of time. I work on a program called Avid Studio. It is for PC. I like it so far. I hope to upgrade to a mac computer one day but for now, this program works for me. I have appreciated reading some of your tips for this such as how to store the video. I have been trying to decide whether to delete it from my computer once I am finished editing and just rely on always having it on tape but have decide now to use an external hard drive along with the tapes. I recently did a montage video from my kids' theatre group. I had a lot of fun doing that. I am looking forward to doing the same for our vacations. We have had a lot of fun talking about which song we want to use. Thanks so much for sharing your videos with all of us on DIS boards.

Fantastic videos :thumbsup2

Looking forward to more! :goodvibes

Have Disney been in touch with you? I think they should employ you :)

I admit it, I teared up. That was such an awesome family video! What great memories you have created with your kids.

man..I almost teared up...but I'm at work...so didn't want to have to explain that I was watching a family video ...and a family i don't know at that...

I know what you mean. I'm all excited about the Wolf family now :rotfl:.

So first of all AWESOME videos. I just came across this today and watched both. Very cool to see that your kids are the ones featured alot in the disney advertisements.

One thing I loved about this was that I showed it to my mom to see what her thoughts were and she picked out the parts that tied to our vacation when I was kid. It seems like your video's allow people to live their memories through your families adventure in a great way! Keep up the good work. One question I have is how old was Zoe in the first video? The wife was wondering for our DD.

I totally saw myself as a kid waiting anxiously for that water to hit me in the face and I had the same reaction!:wizard:

I stumbled upon all of your videos about 3 days ago. Since then I have:
  • Shown your videos to everyone going on our fall trip (6 people)
  • Narrowed down our list of song choices
  • Experimented with the video capabilities of my Panasonic Lumix FZ50 camera & my Sony Bloggie video camera
  • Played around in iMovie 09 and made a "test" video to estimate the learning curve (See video HERE) (Note: Some of the video is low quality because it came from a cell phone camera...it was just video clips I already had)
  • Upgraded to iMovie 11
  • Priced Final Cut Pro and Motion (I can't afford)
  • Researched Adobe Premiere and after Effects (can't afford those either)
  • and have tried to figure out if I have even the SLIGHTEST clue what I'm doing and what I am getting myself into.

My video capture questions:
  • Do you just capture as much video as possble so you have stuff to choose from?
  • How much time do you spend each day in the parks on shooting specific footage for the video?
  • How much of the video is rehearsed vs. your family having fun & enjoying vacation?

My video editing questions:
  • I feel like iMovie 11 doesn't have as much of the "special effects" capability as I would like but Final Cut Pro is out of my price range. Is there a happy medium?
  • How are the time lapse shots done? (Like in your Oasis video of you sitting by the pool)
  • You mentioned Motion was a steep learning curve. How did you overcome that? Books, websites, trial and error? Any book or website recommendations? (I might be able to justify purchasing Motion and just live with iMovie 11)
  • Last but not least....Your opening sequence in your 2011 video (with the 6 video frames) was done in Motion, correct?

Sorry for so many questions, but I REALLY REALLY REALLY want to make a video on our trip. This will be my 4.5 year old son's FIRST trip to Disney and what better way to capture it than with a COOL video!

Your family is spectacular and it looks like you all really have fun together! Thank you for sharing and for answering questions here for all of us amateurs! :lmao:

One thing I loved about this was that I showed it to my mom to see what her thoughts were and she picked out the parts that tied to our vacation when I was kid. It seems like your video's allow people to live their memories through your families adventure in a great way! Keep up the good work. One question I have is how old was Zoe in the first video? The wife was wondering for our DD.

I totally saw myself as a kid waiting anxiously for that water to hit me in the face and I had the same reaction!:wizard:
Thanks! Those are really fun words to hear. Doing the video definitely motivated all six of us to try to have fun in new places around WDW. The squirting fountain is a great example. We usually just pass by it on our way to the next attraction. This time it was, "Hey, Dad! Film me getting wet!" Our four kids were 13, 10, 7, and 5 in the first video in 2009. They are 15, 12, 9, and 7 now.

My video capture questions:
  • Do you just capture as much video as possble so you have stuff to choose from?
  • How much time do you spend each day in the parks on shooting specific footage for the video?
  • How much of the video is rehearsed vs. your family having fun & enjoying vacation?
I capture as much as I can...probably around 2.5 hours of footage for this project in total. You know you're doing well when you force yourself to leave great stuff out of the video. I HATE being 90% done with the video, because I start to realize what's going to be left out. Just remember, NO ONE wants to see your video as much as you do. ;)

I brought two cameras to the park each day. One was a camcorder which I could pop out at any moment. The T2i I would often put in a locker and bring it out for no more than an hour or so a day.

As for the rehearsal, little is truly "rehearsed" except practicing the lyrics in the car a couple of weeks before we leave; and also timing the lyrics with my moving camera in the opening. So while it's not "rehearsed", it's most certainly "planned". For instance in the opening of the song, I'd tell my wife to "stand still while I video the castle; I'll swing the camera around, then you make stupid faces for ten seconds." The whole scene was done in thirty seconds, and we were off to the next attraction. She had no idea what I was doing, and didn't care till it was done. I had it mentally mapped out weeks before, so it didn't slow us down.

Map out ("storyboard") everything ahead of time, keep your camera batteries fully charged, and you won't slow down anyone's vacation.
My video editing questions:
  • I feel like iMovie 11 doesn't have as much of the "special effects" capability as I would like but Final Cut Pro is out of my price range. Is there a happy medium?
  • How are the time lapse shots done? (Like in your Oasis video of you sitting by the pool)
  • You mentioned Motion was a steep learning curve. How did you overcome that? Books, websites, trial and error? Any book or website recommendations? (I might be able to justify purchasing Motion and just live with iMovie 11)
  • Last but not least....Your opening sequence in your 2011 video (with the 6 video frames) was done in Motion, correct?
Have you priced Final Cut Pro X? I think it's $299 and does way more than you can possibly learn in less than a couple of years. It's very powerful, and a third the price of the previous version. True professionals hate it for reasons you don't care about. But if you know iMovie, I'd say it's a very, very good option for you. I don't know of anything that's "better than iMovie" anywhere near that price point.

You'll really hamstring yourself using Motion without FCP X. I'm not sure if it's even possible, but maybe it is. I doubt that you'd really want to, though, until you learned Final Cut first.

I tell people iMovie was like learning to ride a bike; Final Cut like learning to fly a plane; and Motion like learning to fly a helicopter. But with Final Cut Pro X, I don't think the learning curve is as steep as it used to be.

I did a lot of training with Apple One to One at the Apple Store, as well as the official Apple Training Series. (lynda.com is the most popular place to get it.) Also vimeo.com Video School is amazing and free.

Yes, the opening sequence was created in Apple Motion.

As for time lapse, you'll need a DSLR and an intervalometer. I learned time lapse by memorizing this tutorial:http://digitalartwork.net/2007/01/30/time-lapse-tutorial/

Keep me posted. Good luck!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter