• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

The Wilderness Must Be Explored (for 15 days!)- A Mother/Daughter Trip! NEW 3/6

Hi Happy Duck...Love your PTR. Sounds like a good time! I just returned from Disney. Awesome trip with my mom and daughter. It was fantastic BUT SOOOOO HOT! Don't forget your misty fan. Crowded, too. But hey...we were hot and crowded in DISNEY! :cool1:

Thanks for reading!

It's going to be such a tough transition...we are currently in NH with cool 70-75 degree days. Can you say temperature shock???? We're going to be smart though. Breaks and lots of ADRs in air conditioning!!!

WE ARE GOING TO DISNEY TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. Follow me on Twitter for instaupdates. HappyDuck90

Happy trip day! Hope you have wonderful time! Can't wait to read more! :)

Saw a beautiful picture of my honey (MinnieMomma) in front of Cindy's castle just after rope drop. She looked so happy!

I'm so sad that I totally missed you PTR, Lauren!

No matter because YOU'RE IN DISNEY WORLD RIGHT NOW!!!!! I hope you're having an absolute blast! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

We are back home safely. We had a WONDERFUL trip! I'm sure a better update is coming, but right now it's back to reality. Boo.

Home. Not in Disney world anymore. Not waking up in my bed next to Lauren's bed. I have to go to work tomorrow. I can't walk over to Epcot for a morning pastry. No hopping a bus to Animal Kingdom. It was a fabulous adventure and yes; the WILDERNESS WAS EXPLORED!

HERE WE GO!!!!!!!!

This is the start of what will be a marathon of a trip report! Maybe I'll have it done by Christmas of next year. And then again...maybe not. Seriously, this is going to be an awesomely long report- kind of like the adventure about the adventure!

15 days, 3 resorts, 16 dining reservations (for those with a good memory, that is one more than we had planned!), MagicBands and Fastpass+, Photopass+ (meaning ride photos galore!), character meets, snacks, parades, fireworks....and so much more! Are you ready???

Value, Moderate AND Deluxe! Well, you know what they say; you only live once!

I am reading Lauren's part of this post and getting all excited! It really was quite the Adventure. Hold onto your hats -- this is a WILD ride!

For those of you who didn't read the PTR (and I really don't blame you....) let's meet the very teeny tiny cast of this report.

Introducing Mama! (also known as MinnieMomma, also known as Carole)

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip087_zps9c3137f2.jpg

*WAVING* Hello to everyone!

She'll be making her updates in BLUE throughout this report. Anytime you see an all green update, make sure to check back to see if she's made her additions.

Her absolute favorites are Minnie Mouse and Cinderella.

Introducing Lauren! (also known as HappyDuck....aka me.)

WP_20130824_0411_zpsf7834396.jpg

My writing is in GREEN (obviously). And my favorites are Pocahontas and Donald Duck!

Since I'm feeling pretty lazy and don't want to write it all again, feel free to head to the very first post of the whole thread to learn more about us! Or just keep reading and learn about our craziness along the way.

Seriously cannot believe that I am finally starting this trip report. It is going to be so much fun! Well...enough introductioning. It's time to begin!! And where is the best place to start? At the VERY beginning. BUT- was the beginning of the trip actually in Disney? Read on to find out!

Next Post

Mirror Lake, New Hampshire (August 3-10)

A.K.A. Heaven on Earth​

You would think that a trip report about our Disney vacation would start, you know, in the airport...on the plane....magical express........Well- not this crazy adventure! Our trip actually begins a week before getting to Disney. Every year our family goes up to New Hampshire for a week or two. (Though they have passed on, we've kept my grandparents house) This year was different though. Mama and I would be going up with the family...and then leaving for Disney from New Hampshire! The rest of the family stayed up at the house for another week before going home to Pennsylvania. That means that Mama and I had THREE WEEKS OF VACATION! (See how coming back to reality has been so hard??)

2 weeks on the lake is always just what we need to escape our busy lives. The calm and peacefulness of God's natural wonders surround us -- kind of like a great big warm hug!I realized after coming back from WDW that we should have gone to Disney first and then N.H. for some rest and relaxation. Oh well...... live and learn!COMPLETELY abnormal -- just the way the schedule worked out for my job. These were the only weeks left for me to take and it just so happens that they were one after the other. No more days off until next year!

Here are the "kids" getting ready for the 8 hour roadtrip. We had 6 full grown people plus a dog stuffed :grouphug: into a mini van (plus luggage!)

(Luckily there was a carrier top or we would have been lying on top of suitcases

WP_20130803_006_zps96c909e2.jpg

Donald Duck decided to take the wheel.

Rex took his turn last year so he was willing to share the job. Someone's gotta' drive!

WP_20130803_007_zps27875f6c.jpg

Sarah is excited for vacation!

WP_20130803_013_zpsc6eb6101.jpg

Blurry Lizzie dog.

WP_20130803_014_zpsd16dce39.jpg

Hello Lake!

WP_20130803_018_zps43e0b480.jpg

You know, we've always said that Disney isn't so much a vacation as a trip. It's an experience. It ends up making you tired. New Hampshire is pure vacation. See?

WP_20130804_006_zps3f0709e4.jpg

I took some food pictures!!! This amazing creation is a sundae from the Bailey Bubble, the local ice cream joint. Homemade whipped cream. Mmmmmmmmmmm.

Bailey Bubble has been a part of Wolfeboro for as long as I can remember. There used to be a restaurant farther up the road where we would get breakfast every year. But, alas, it is no longer. Luckily we still have the Bubble which makes its own sauces and waffle cones and ice cream.

WP_20130804_015_zps5f1b3f0b.jpg

There may have even been ice cream (and a brownie) under that!

The town of Wolfeboro---it's basically one street!

WP_20130805_005_zpsd993b65b.jpg

Wolfeboro Bay! That lake is Winnipesaukee.

Winn-uh-puh-saw-kee. An old Native
American Indian name that is as hard to pronounce as it it to spell.

WP_20130805_007_zpse5ff710b.jpg

This was trip #2.... I think. There were quite a few trips out to town ending in yumminess.

WP_20130805_011_zps9735a99c.jpg

Morning on the lake!

Some mornings are covered in mist and other days are perfectly clear. There are frogs to hear and birds to see (Blue Heron and Bald Eagle and Loons). The water lilies open as the sun rises and it is quite the sight to see. Why is it so hard to wake up for work at 7am when I can bound out of bed at 6am here?

WP_20130806_004_zpsc5f5f010.jpg

Sigh.

WP_20130806_009_zps1eddde32.jpg

The bald eagle! We have one eagle who lives on the lake. It's such a treat to see him out and about.

WP_20130806_015_zps2d61bc62.jpg

We went up to a place called Castle in the Clouds. Breathtaking views of the mountains!

WP_20130806_020_zpse9f54d39.jpg

WP_20130806_022_zps4f68414b.jpg

We did have an exciting event take place while we were all here together. My son (Lauren's brother) proposed to his long time girlfriend Dominique and she said YES! He made it memorable as he stood on the dock surrounded by candles. She walked down to him and he got down on one knee. This place has always been special to our family and now we have another event to add to our memories :goodvibes

So after a week of board games, fishing, swimming, reading, and just a few ice cream trips, it was time to pack for Disney!

And this is where our official trip report begins!!!

So I just opened my notebook, turned to the first page, and this is what I had started with----

"It is the night before Disney! Unfortunately, I have a bad sore throat that I woke up with! NO! It's making me very tired and sluggish. Ew."

Plus, I had taken two cold pills earlier in the day. I should know better. Medicine really affects me, and I should never take more than one pill (even if they recommend two.) Because I took both pills, I was feeling very spacey. You know, Jack Sparrow on rum kind of spacey. Probably sicker than what the cold caused!

Yes. I had a cold. Courtesy of my sister who had gotten it from someone at camp. So I had to go to Disney sick. I'm just going to warn you now, the first day was kind of a blur. I was a bit miserable. But still happy to be in Disney. Such an odd feeling.

Some meds and some good sleep and she will be just fine, right?

It was also strange because as much as I wanted to go to Disney, I was sad that I was leaving New Hampshire. I wouldn't be back at the lake until next summer, and that was making me sad. It's home to me and it's always sad to leave your home.

What a mixed bag of emotions: so excited for Disney and so sad to leave the lake. Thrilled to spend time with my little girl and heart-broken to leave my hubby for 2 weeks. Knowing the rest of the family was staying there was sooooo strange. A definite first for us -- "vacationing separately"

But I didn't have much time to mourn that particular loss. It was time to PACK!

It took me forever to pack. First of all, it takes me forever to pack when I'm not distracted. Well, I decided to watch the first season of Boy Meets World while packing. You know how it goes. Put one thing in the suitcase. Sit and watch 5 minutes. I'm seriously amazed I got it all done!

While I was packing, Mama was in her room reading and the rest of the family was in the main room playing Rummikub. I found everything that we had brought with us to New Hampshire specifically for Disney (toiletries and such.) And once I was finished packing, Mama repacked what I had packed. Yup.

LOL! Lauren is packing challenged. She manages to get everything she needs (usually) but it is always in such a chaotic spaced-out way. I just tweaked what she had and added my stuffs to the mix. 4 checked bags and 2 carry-ons for 2 weeks! Not bad, not bad at all....

After packing, we came out to finish our tournament. We have a tournament in Flinch and Rummikub every year. This year, Bryan (my brother) won BOTH tournaments. He was a bit happy.

We will never live that down. We are going to hear about the Great Win of 2013 for years to come.

After games, we went to bed around midnight. Sarah and I (we share a room) watched Boy Meets World. Eventually, she fell asleep.

I didn't fall asleep. Surprise!

I watched tv until around 1:30, and then I caught up on DIS updates on my phone. I fell asleep after 2am...probably closer to 2:30. IT WAS DISNEY DAY!

RAISE YOUR HAND if you wake up with a BIG SMILE on your face the morning you leave for Disney!

Next Post

Happy trip day! Hope you have wonderful time! Can't wait to read more! :)

We had a WONDERFULLY WONDERFUL TIME!!!

I'm so sad that I totally missed you PTR, Lauren!

No matter because YOU'RE IN DISNEY WORLD RIGHT NOW!!!!! I hope you're having an absolute blast! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!

I'm just thinking about when you posted this. I was in DISNEY. And now I'm not. Sigh. But at least I have the TR to look forward to!

Welcome back Lauren and Carole. I mean, I know it's not a necessarily happy thing, but...

But yay for the TR starting up. :wave: <---- That's me raising my hand in response to if I wake up with a BIG SMILE on Disney day!

Following....

Welcome!!!

Welcome back Lauren and Carole. I mean, I know it's not a necessarily happy thing, but...

But yay for the TR starting up. :wave: <---- That's me raising my hand in response to if I wake up with a BIG SMILE on Disney day!

Yeah, reality is a bit harsh. But I had my first day back teaching today and loved it! So I guess that's a good trade off :)

I think I practically bounced out of bed that morning. I sometimes wish I could be that chipper every morning but it just never seems to happen....

Great update! :)

Thanks!!!!!!

Saturday, August 10th

TRAVEL DAY

I honestly can't remember if I set my alarm. I probably didn't. Instead, I just woke up, all bright eyed and happy, without any assistance at 5:45.

Not sure what time I awoke. All I can remember is rolling over and seeing the sunlight and smiling. :) And then feeling a bit sad. :( And then smiling again. :) Such a rollercoaster of emotions!!!!!​

The things Disney does to you. I think I might have gotten almost three and a half hours of sleep.....

First things first, I had to make the day "facebook official". I posted:

Guess what??? Mama and I are going to Disney today!!! It is a special Lauren-Mommy trip and I am so excited!!!!!!

I browsed some time-wasting sites, read the DIS, and tried stay in bed as long as possible. That only lasted until 6:30. I decided to get up and get dressed. I couldn't wait any longer to get up and get going! IT WAS DISNEY DAY!!!!

I wanted to go fishing one last time, so I went in to wake up my Dad. I could go myself, but it's always better being on the boat with someone else. He wanted to wait until after 7:00 to go. Boo. Now what do I do for the next 1/2 hour?

I ate breakfast, enjoyed the morning, and kept watching the clock. It just didn't want to move!

Finally, he got up and we were out fishing around 7:20. It was a terrible fishing morning. We tried 6 different locations around the lake and didn't get anything but a handful of sunnies. There isn't anything necessarily wrong with sunfish. But they aren't bass. Very disappointing. BUT we were out on the boat together, enjoying our last few fishing moments. And it was a beautiful morning!

WP_20130810_006_zps69885106.jpg

Went back in around 9am. I still wasn't feeling well, so I went to Rite-Aid in town (took about 30 minutes round trip) to get tissues and saline wash. I officially had a cold. Ugh.

Felt so bad that Lauren had caught her sister's cold. No luck at all catching the bass, but a cold was so simple......​

Back to the house around 9:45. We finished packing and gathering miscellaneous items scattered around. Mama even made beef stew in the crock pot for the rest of the family's dinner. We'd be eating Disney food for dinner!

We knew that lunch would be at the airport, but, the meal we were most looking forward to was at the Landscape of Flavors in the Art of Animation resort! (I later learned that the beef stew was DELICIOUS!)​

After sitting around for a bit just WAITING, we FINALLY left for the airport at 10:30. We were driving to Manchester Regional airport, which is teeny, teeny, tiny compared to Philadelphia International!

There was a little bit of traffic in town, but it didn't slow us down too much. After stopping for some breakfast sandwiches for Daddy, we arrived around 12:00.

I was SO EXCITED to get out of the car. I was SO EXCITED that I

FORGOT MY VIDEO CAMERA

I didn't even realize it!

(Just a little back story. I love using my video camera. I didn't even bring a regular camera for myself since I was going to use it so much. I spent money getting an external battery charger because I didn't want to drag my laptop along to charge it. I spent money getting additional SD cards because I didn't want to run out of space. I had been looking forward to videoing this trip ever since its inception. Needless to say, I love my video camera.)

At this point, I didn't realize that I had left it. We gave our hugs, said our good-byes, and walked down the sidewalk leaving Daddy in the car. He had a bit of traffic to contend with, so he was sat still as we walked away.

All of the sudden, I hear him calling me. HE HAD MY VIDEO CAMERA! He said he looked down in the car and just saw it there. He saved the day! After getting that from him, and saying good-bye again, we went off into the airport!

By the way, of course I made it facebook official.

Got out of the car and almost left my video camera! Daddy saved the day and saw it just as he was pulling away! Plane takes off at 1:25!!!!!

The man is our HERO! I am sure if he had found it later we would have had a package be next day fed exed to our resort but, how can we go an entire day without video?!​

We got our boarding passes, checked our luggage, and headed off through security. I think we waited for a total of 4 people to get through the line. It was so weird being at such a small airport!

We looked for lunch. We walked one way down the hallway. Not much. We walked the other way down the hallway. There were a few restaurants but that was basically it. ONE hallway. WOW.

We had lunch at Quiznos.

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip001_zpse91820c7.jpg

It was our first chance to try out sharing a meal. I think we did very well! Split a Honey Bourbon chicken sandwich and broccoli and cheddar soup. We also got a very large bottle of water, which I drank most of. It was a decent sandwich, and the soup was good. It wasn't my favorite broccoli and cheddar soup though. My favorite is Ruby Tuesday's...oh, that soup is delicious.

Depending upon what kind of trip report reader you are or dependent upon when you think a trip begins (i.e. at the airport or stepping on property) I regret to inform you that I did not take a picture of our "first meal". Oops! But it was mighty tasty!

We sat and talked for a bit before heading off to Gate 12. Southwest doesn't assign seats and we were in boarding group B #8-9. There were a LOT of people in group A...so much for checking in exactly 24 hours in advance!

There were a lot of people on the plane, but we were able to snag 2 seats in row 4. There was someone sitting in the window seat. I wouldn't say that I'm uncomfortable sitting next to strangers for long flights but......okay. I will say it. I don't like doing it. I just don't like being that close to people I don't know. I survived though, obviously.

Ready for take-off!

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip002_zpsfabe8f86.jpg

Honestly, the flight was terrible. We took off relatively on time and landed slightly ahead of schedule. That part was great! And I was also able to color in my magic princess coloring book. That was fun! But my cold, my lovely gift from my sister, made my life miserable. My sinuses were all clogged. Once we got up to flying altitude, I was in a fog and I couldn't hear. I couldn't even hear myself talking! I knew I was talking at a normal volume but it sounded like a whisper to me.

And tell you what, it is so awkward trying to blow your nose next to a perfect stranger. I was trying not to get my germies all over him.

Apparently, while writing this in my trip report, I stopped at this point to go blow my nose again. Just thought you wanted to know.

Thanks for the complete information. :rotfl:

I was so thankful when we began our descent. I thought it would clear up my sinuses. Nope. Still couldn't hear.

But my spirits were high! WE WERE IN ORLANDO!!!!

On our way over to the fake-o-rail, we had to stop for some photo-ops!

DSC00098_zps6aefa62e.jpg

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip004_zpsc5ba4d31.jpg

It was so cool to finally see these Works of Art at the airport. Just all part of the Disney Magic!​

This image was on a water park ad. It is so cool looking!!!!

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip005_zpsf0939d53.jpg

Mama was a little excited (?) to find the Magical Express!

DSC00101_zps61ec9b41.jpg

Wow. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful photo. Naaaah. Whatever. I'M IN ORLANDO AND GOING TO WDW!!!!!!!!!

This is us waiting in the Magical Express line. I can't quite remember what was happening...

DSC00103_zps58945dfa.jpg

Another delightful pic. Are you just going to pick out the ummm... shall we say..... most interesting :scared1: pictures you can find oh daughter of mine?

We hopped and skipped our way onto our Magical bus.

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip007_zps61b90f3b.jpg

Our bus driver's name was James...but if we weren't satisfied, when we call to complain his name is Frank.

On the way, I heard the cutest little girl talking about how excited she was to see Tinkerbell! I love little kids. Plus, she had a Spanish accent so it was the cutest way to say Tinkerbell.

DSC00104_zps7d60e047.jpg

THE MOVIE!!!!!! I love this part. The little girl gets so excited when she finds out she's going to Disney! She looks almost stunned. It's so cute!

DSC00108_zps1732eecd.jpg

WE ARE IN DISNEY!!!!!! CELEBRATE!!!!!!!!!!!

WDWAugust2013Mother-DaughterTrip014_zpsa170b394.jpg

James said that he would let us know when we were close to the "Magical Archway" so we could get a great picture. As I was readying to take a picture another passenger came up the aisle and sat one seat ahead of me. She leaned in to take the shot and I am pretty sure she got my perfect picture! This pic isn't exceedingly awful but I still feel robbed!

Up next.....we get to our first resort! Do you remember which one????

Next Post

Awww, how nice of Mama to prepare dinner for everyone.

OMG, I am always petrified of forgetting something. Thank God your dad saved the day.

Ahh, Honey Bourbon chicken sandwich , my go to Quizno's choice.

Oh GOD every time I read about landing in Orlando I get all misty. I can't wait to go back!!!

Awww, how nice of Mama to prepare dinner for everyone.

OMG, I am always petrified of forgetting something. Thank God your dad saved the day.

Ahh, Honey Bourbon chicken sandwich , my go to Quizno's choice.

Oh GOD every time I read about landing in Orlando I get all misty. I can't wait to go back!!!

Wasn't it nice? She's AMAZING! Off to Florida she goes, but she's still concerned for everyone else!

I can't even describe the feeling. I was so grateful that he saw it, but astounded that I didn't realize I left it behind!

It was tasty!!! A little spicy kick, but very good flavor.

Next time I land, I'll just make sure that I can hear what is going on! It was a totally different experience because I just wanted to get back to "normal"...I feel like I missed the complete giddy-ness that I normally have.

I'm not a big fan of fst food, but I like Quiznos.

We don't have a Quiznos near us, but we have a Subway. That's my go-to! Quiznos is a pretty good substitute though :)

Wasn't it nice? She's AMAZING! Off to Florida she goes, but she's still concerned for everyone else!

I can't even describe the feeling. I was so grateful that he saw it, but astounded that I didn't realize I left it behind!

It was tasty!!! A little spicy kick, but very good flavor.

Next time I land, I'll just make sure that I can hear what is going on! It was a totally different experience because I just wanted to get back to "normal"...I feel like I missed the complete giddy-ness that I normally have.

We don't have a Quiznos near us, but we have a Subway. That's my go-to! Quiznos is a pretty good substitute though :)

There's a Subway near me. It's ok, but not great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter