The Wilderness Lodge FAQ (Part 6) Simbas and Tiggers and Humphreys OH MY!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We had a great 5 night stay at WL. Has anyone else been at Disney these past few days? It is HOT!!! Wow.

Anyhow, I requested inner courtyard off lobby and was given a 6th floor room at the very end of the north wing!! Can you say opposite?

I asked if there was anything lower than 6th floor and closer to the lobby and the concierge guy made a call and moved us to 4th floor overlooking silver springs on the south wing. It was a lovely room and a great location for the bus, lobby and there was a path right below us (down two flights of stairs) that crossed the courtyard toward Roaring Forks and the boat path.

So, that's the third time I've stayed and WL and the second time my request seemed to be ignored (well, they did give me inner courtyard ;)). But the front desk people were happy to help us get a room location we liked better.

I was really struck by how warm and friendly the staff at WL is. I stayed at POR and CBR in the past year and the difference in how helpful and friendly the staff was at WL compared to those two resorts was glaring. Maybe it was just my personal experience but very noticeable to me.

The grounds looked wonderful and all areas seemed clean and picked up. We had great mousekeeping with our extra requests met and also towel animals everyday.

I didn't realize this, but if you miss housekeeping because you are in your room, you can call and schedule a room cleaning. We slept for a few hours our first afternoon there (did I say it was HOT???), so we missed mousekeeping. I called around 4:00 to see if it was possible and the very friendly person said it was no problem and offered me an appointment in the evening which was perfect since we were headed out to Epcot. It was SO nice to come back to a clean room with lots of towels!

In addition, since we are out early in the morning and back early in the afternoon, we requested early mousekeeping (that's how we missed out our first day when sleeping in the afternoon). Each of the next 3 days our room was cleaned when we returned early afternoon. In fact, one morning we ate at WCC and our room was done by 9:30 am when we returned.

If I had to try to complain about something, it would be the loud music at the pool each afternoon, but with the slider closed, it really wasn't a big deal. It's just the worst thing I can come up with. Not too bad, huh?

Love WL. I think I just can't go back to moderates anymore. WL spoiled me once and for all.

Amen to that! We made the jump from CBR to WL a few years ago and it has completely ruined us for ever going back to moderates. While the moderates do have their nice qualities we just love what WL has to offer so much more :lovestruc

Has anyone stayed at the Poly and WL? If so, could you please let me know why you prefer one over the other or what the pros/cons are of WL over the Poly? I love the Poly but have been itching to stay at WL but I'm one of those types that is worried that I might make the wrong choice (you know, like the time you don't order your favorite item on the menu and you wish you had???).
Thanks!
I have stayed at and love both.
To me, nothing beats being in the volcano pool at the Poly and gazing across Seven Seas lagoon at the Castle.
BUT....for the money, which is at times substantially less, I LOVE WL....It is all in one building which is great in Hot, cold, or rainy weather. There are Hot Tubs at the pool, which you don't have at the Poly (but I love the zero entry at the Poly) There is a workout room and small Spa at the WL (Villas), wheras you have to walk to the GF for these things when staying at Poly. I think the Mercantile has a greater selection of convenience store type foods, as it has the Villas attached. I do prefer Captain cooks at the Poly to Roaring Forks at WL. The rooms are bigger at the Poly, but not all have balconies. For my family, WL works great right now, as the kids can get a bunk bed and there is no fighting over blankets, pillows, etc.
I also though the service at Wl was the best we'd ever had....from check-in to pool lifeguards, great mousekeepers, the sweetest CM's at the Mercantile and Pin trading cart...it just felt Magical. The Poly has a magical feel to me, as I have been going there since I was a kid with my parents in the 70's...it is just one of the things that I think of when I think of Disney, but the WL is a great value and has wonderful amenities and service.
We had a great 5 night stay at WL. Has anyone else been at Disney these past few days? It is HOT!!! Wow.

Anyhow, I requested inner courtyard off lobby and was given a 6th floor room at the very end of the north wing!! Can you say opposite?

I asked if there was anything lower than 6th floor and closer to the lobby and the concierge guy made a call and moved us to 4th floor overlooking silver springs on the south wing. It was a lovely room and a great location for the bus, lobby and there was a path right below us (down two flights of stairs) that crossed the courtyard toward Roaring Forks and the boat path.

So, that's the third time I've stayed and WL and the second time my request seemed to be ignored (well, they did give me inner courtyard ;)). But the front desk people were happy to help us get a room location we liked better.

I was really struck by how warm and friendly the staff at WL is. I stayed at POR and CBR in the past year and the difference in how helpful and friendly the staff was at WL compared to those two resorts was glaring. Maybe it was just my personal experience but very noticeable to me.

The grounds looked wonderful and all areas seemed clean and picked up. We had great mousekeeping with our extra requests met and also towel animals everyday.

I didn't realize this, but if you miss housekeeping because you are in your room, you can call and schedule a room cleaning. We slept for a few hours our first afternoon there (did I say it was HOT???), so we missed mousekeeping. I called around 4:00 to see if it was possible and the very friendly person said it was no problem and offered me an appointment in the evening which was perfect since we were headed out to Epcot. It was SO nice to come back to a clean room with lots of towels!

In addition, since we are out early in the morning and back early in the afternoon, we requested early mousekeeping (that's how we missed out our first day when sleeping in the afternoon). Each of the next 3 days our room was cleaned when we returned early afternoon. In fact, one morning we ate at WCC and our room was done by 9:30 am when we returned.

If I had to try to complain about something, it would be the loud music at the pool each afternoon, but with the slider closed, it really wasn't a big deal. It's just the worst thing I can come up with. Not too bad, huh?

Love WL. I think I just can't go back to moderates anymore. WL spoiled me once and for all.
I'm glad you had a great time!

Hi everyone -

We're headed to the WL November 30-December 7. :banana:

I've been reading this thread for months. :goodvibes I did have one question - we have an 8:15 ADR for Chef Mickeys for breakfast. Which would be the quickest way to get there?

Definately the boat! Fast, easy, and relaxing!

Has anyone stayed at the Poly and WL? If so, could you please let me know why you prefer one over the other or what the pros/cons are of WL over the Poly? I love the Poly but have been itching to stay at WL but I'm one of those types that is worried that I might make the wrong choice (you know, like the time you don't order your favorite item on the menu and you wish you had???).
Thanks!

Its all about the balcony for us. Poly wont guarantee a balcony and even though the rooms are a little larger having the outside space to have a cup of coffee while everyone else gets ready in the morning is worth everything!

Ranger Stan is retiring on October 31, 2009 and will truly be missed by the WL Family. In tribute, I am reprinting an article published in our local newspaper about 6 years ago. Stan has it framed in his home and I'm told it is also somewhere in the WL offices.

========================================================

My family and I recently had an enjoyable vacation at Walt Disney World. The days were filled with the expected park visits, food, and fun. My six year old daughter met with Mickey, Minnie, and more characters than I could name. (She can!) My hopes and expectations were fulfilled in this year’s visit even though there was some apprehension about the hurricanes and damage. (Disney survived remarkably.) However, I never dreamed my six year old would also gain a simple patriotic lesson of respecting the American Flag.

Our adventure included a stay at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge. Simply picture the grand lodge of Yellowstone National Park with the Disney twist. The facility is remarkable in every aspect and the staff went beyond expectations to meet our needs. One particular staff member is well-known as Ranger Stan. Ranger Stan is an icon around the Lodge and I had read about him as I searched the internet for details on the Lodge. He stands proud in his ranger attire and beams with the kind of joy that would make Walt Disney himself proud. While I don’t know his age, I would presume that Ranger Stan is a retired gentlemen who is living his second childhood through his work at the Lodge. He is undoubtedly the most knowledgeable source of any information regarding the Lodge. Through my vacation planning I discovered that families staying at the Wilderness Lodge could request to be the “flag family” for the day. Although not advertised, this privilege is still sought by many. If selected, your family will receive a notice to meet Ranger Stan at the front desk early on your selected morning to begin your adventure. I had a basic idea what may occur but didn’t yet have the appreciation.

My wife, daughter, and I met Ranger Stan early Thursday morning. He immediately connected with my daughter and asked her if she would accept the privilege of carrying the American Flag on our journey. She beamed with delight at the honor and he placed her small hands around the Flag and she held it tight. He then handed the other flags to my wife and I and we began the journey to the top of the Lodge. After an elevator ride and a climb of 66 steps, (Ranger Stan provided the detail), we were on top of the Lodge, beholding the lands of Disney. The view was awesome but it wasn’t our mission. Ranger Stan guided my daughter to the center flagpole and kindly instructed her on how they would work together to raise the colors. He told her the American Flag was in the center because it deserved respect from the other flags and all those who viewed it. My daughter joyfully assisted him in preparing the colors and pulling the rope to raise them for the day. It was then that it occurred to me this was more than simply a gimmick. As we watched the wind unfurl the Flag over the kingdom, I’ll admit, I swelled with pride at what I had just observed. Ranger Stan then asked us to line up and face the Flag. I was expecting a photo-op but he asked my daughter to lead us in the Pledge of Allegiance. She proudly started and he snapped to a salute as we pledged our allegiance. My six year old had just received a valuable lesson in flag respect that too many children and adults have not. In the simple minutes of our adventure with Ranger Stan, she had learned how to carry, honor, and care for the colors. I’m sure she has heard some of this taught in school or hopefully even from me. However, the memories and pictures with Ranger Stan will undoubtedly be the lasting lesson for her.

How many others need the privilege of a few minutes with Ranger Stan? Simply attend a local ballgame and you will find your answer. As we visited for the next few minutes and completed our tasks of raising the other flags, I was able to appreciate the additional knowledge and kind demeanor of Ranger Stan. Later in the day, while swimming in the pool my daughter pointed to the Lodge roof and said, “ Look Daddy, my Flag is still flying!” Yes sweetheart, your Flag flies proudly! While there may be some things about the Disney Corporation that Mr. Disney may not be proud of today, I’m sure old Walt would be thankful for the work of a ranger named Stan.....I sure am.

We made sure to get a few photos of him on our trip last December, because we knew he would be retired before our upcoming trip this December. He will be sorely missed around the lodge by many.:thumbsup2

Did a split stay with both 5 years ago. YOu will definitely notice the smaller room size of WL after the Poly, but we honestly liked WLs theming better. That said if you look at my signature you'll see that we have not stayed at either again, lol. (Although the upcoming stay is for WL) If you have never stayed at the WL, then by all means try it but just be preapared for a noticibly smaller room.

I have stayed at and love both.
To me, nothing beats being in the volcano pool at the Poly and gazing across Seven Seas lagoon at the Castle.
BUT....for the money, which is at times substantially less, I LOVE WL....It is all in one building which is great in Hot, cold, or rainy weather. There are Hot Tubs at the pool, which you don't have at the Poly (but I love the zero entry at the Poly) There is a workout room and small Spa at the WL (Villas), wheras you have to walk to the GF for these things when staying at Poly. I think the Mercantile has a greater selection of convenience store type foods, as it has the Villas attached. I do prefer Captain cooks at the Poly to Roaring Forks at WL. The rooms are bigger at the Poly, but not all have balconies. For my family, WL works great right now, as the kids can get a bunk bed and there is no fighting over blankets, pillows, etc.
I also though the service at Wl was the best we'd ever had....from check-in to pool lifeguards, great mousekeepers, the sweetest CM's at the Mercantile and Pin trading cart...it just felt Magical. The Poly has a magical feel to me, as I have been going there since I was a kid with my parents in the 70's...it is just one of the things that I think of when I think of Disney, but the WL is a great value and has wonderful amenities and service.

Its all about the balcony for us. Poly wont guarantee a balcony and even though the rooms are a little larger having the outside space to have a cup of coffee while everyone else gets ready in the morning is worth everything!

Thank you for the feedback! I have been interested in the junior suites/deluxe rooms at WL so hopefully that will take care of the 'smaller rooms' issue than the Poly :) I have been wanting to stay at WL due to the decor (I LOVED AKL - HATED AKL's location!) and was really geeked about their deluxe room offering so the kids could be in a different room so they can watch cartoons and I don't have to :rotfl:

Of course, it all depends if that room type is available for the time we want to go! I've been holding off on reserving, hoping for a deal, but I'm not sure that will happen for April.

Husband requires 1. pool & 2. beer so any Disney resort will do. But this last trip to the Poly, he was upset (he has feelings????) that there was no hot tub. So there you have it - I need pool, beer, AND hot tub. And the 100 other things that neurotic little me wants :lmao:

has anyone ever gotten a cake from Artist Point? I'm looking for a type of cake where they can do an edible image on it of Christmas for in Dec. I've gotten a cake delievered to the room before but it was a standard cake and icing cake. Thanks!

Planing a trip to the Lodge 1/3-1/10 & was just wondering if the Christmas decorations would still be up?

Probably not. We arrived at AS Sports on 1/1/08 and everything was decorated, moved to YC on 1/2, saw the decorations. Got up the morning of 1/3 and everything was completely back to normal. :( The parks did remain decorated for the next few days though.

Can anyone tell me if the bunk beds can fit an adult? Or are they more designed for kids?

My brother and I have been using the bunk beds since we were 15 and 13 (now 24 and 22). We still go and use the bunk beds. It's nice bc then you don't have to share. I'm 5'3 and my brother is 6'2 and fits with room (he sleeps on the top bunk). If you are on the bottom you have not a lot of head room for an adult but it works for us! Our only other options are get 2 rooms at a value or pay more for a resort with a daybed but over 2 value rooms we will get the bunk beds at WL!!! Hope that helps! The bunks are the same as the ones at AKL if that ever becomes an issue as well!!

help oh help! we just returned from movies on the 8th. and yesterday i received the email with 30-40 percent off certain hotels for certain periods- until june. so i called looking for the contemporary as i really want to stay there. well the club level was the only thing avail- way outta reach! so the cm i was speakign with priced it out for us for standard at wl for 14 nites with 10 day hopper pass and all meals included(one snack, one quick and i sit down) and of course dme for 5143.42 taxes in. i presume this is an amazing price but i'm not sure as we always do value resorts. thoughts?

help oh help! we just returned from movies on the 8th. and yesterday i received the email with 30-40 percent off certain hotels for certain periods- until june. so i called looking for the contemporary as i really want to stay there. well the club level was the only thing avail- way outta reach! so the cm i was speakign with priced it out for us for standard at wl for 14 nites with 10 day hopper pass and all meals included(one snack, one quick and i sit down) and of course dme for 5143.42 taxes in. i presume this is an amazing price but i'm not sure as we always do value resorts. thoughts?

you should be able to break down the price yourself if you know what type of tickets you get minus the days minus the cost of DDP for the days and then what is left is the amount for your resort if that makes sense?

In june for a standard you are looking at around 300 bucks a night, give or take I would say??

yeah it makes sense, but i don't know the price of a ten day hopper nor the price of dining. were looking at april16th to the 30th. so i figured it seemed like an amazing price but i'm not sure as we've only ever stayed at values.

You can go to www.undercovertourist.com and price out your tickets. They are cheaper, because they don't charge tax or shipping. :thumbsup2 Can't help you with the price of the DDP however, because we don't use that.

A side note: you can actually save a few more dollars on your tickets at UT by signing up for the monthly newsletter at www.mousesavers.com. they give you a code each month that you can enter when purchasing tickets through UT. I believe it amounts up to an additional 5.00 on a ten day ticket.

You can go to www.undercovertourist.com and price out your tickets. They are cheaper, because they don't charge tax or shipping. :thumbsup2 Can't help you with the price of the DDP however, because we don't use that.

A side note: you can actually save a few more dollars on your tickets at UT by signing up for the monthly newsletter at www.mousesavers.com. they give you a code each month that you can enter when purchasing tickets through UT. I believe it amounts up to an additional 5.00 on a ten day ticket.

cool! i'll check them out...yeah i'm not sure about the ddp either as this past trip was free dining.

We were at WL from Oct. 8 - 12 and had a great time (minus the heat). We had a lobby view room on the sixth floor. It was perfect for our quick 4 night adventure. While there I made a point of finding Ranger Stan to spend a few minutes talking with him before his retirement.

We saw him on our first afternoon there, and he was wonderful. He spent time talking with the girls and was a true joy. This was our fourth visit to the lodge and we've seen him every trip. He will be missed.

lauraDisney09010.jpg

and of course we had to rub Humphrey's nose!

lauraDisney09007.jpg

Here we come AGAIN! We loved our Aug 2009 trip to WL and just got a 40% off pin code and my work at home job is paying double bonuses so we will use some of that $12,000 for another WL trip asap, now just have to figure out when to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter