The What's For Dinner Thread - May '09(recipe index in OP)

Happy Mother's Day!

WFD - We're going to a champagne brunch this afternoon where I plan to camp out by the seafood bar and make a total pig of myself on crab, shrimp & oysters with champagne of course.;)
Ooh, that brunch sounds wonderful. I LOVE seafood, it was all I ate on our last cruise. Have a good time!
I hope you're feeling better today. :hug:

DS and I are going to my brother's house for dinner. They're doing a Thanksgiving inspired meal. I'm not a huge fan of turkey, but at least I don't have to cook or clean up afterwards. :thumbsup2 None of the moms in my family are allowed to cook today, so DS made bread to take.

:love: Happy Mother's Day to some of my favorite moms!!! :love:

DH is with his mother today - I am still avoiding all contact, though I did pick out a fabulous Vera Bradley gift for her that I know she'll love. I called my momma on her way to work this morning but do miss her. Usually by the end of one of her visits, I'm ready to strangle her but this trip was more about my sister and my granddad so we didn't get as much time together. :hug:

I need to grocery shop, and have no intentions on doing it today, so I think we'll go out tonight if DH makes it back home in time for dinner.

Kathy--I don't think this recipe is posted yet. It was new for us, so I wanted to try it before I gave it my seal. It got the :thumbsup2 from Scott so here goes!

Slow Cooker Spiced Chicken Stew with carrots--From Everyday food

2lbs of carrots, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch lengths
8 skinless chicken thighs
1 garlic clove
1 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp ground cumin
coarse salt and ground pepper
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted if desired
Couscous for serving

1. Place carrots in slow cooker. In a bowl toss together chicken, garlic, cinnamon, cumin, 1 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper. Add to slow cooker. Cover and cook on high 4 hours, low 8 hours. Adding in raisins 15 minutes before cooking is done

2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken and carrots to a dish (remove cinnamon stick) top with cilantro and almonds. Season cooking liquid with salt and pepper. Spoon over chicken. Serve with couscous.

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY! To all of you! I hope everyone is having a great day.

I want to bestow special good wishes to our new Moms, Lauren & Glynis of health & happiness for your children!:goodvibes

To our Moms who have to go the extra mile, Laura, Gretchen, Wendie & Janice! I pray that you always have the strength & support to continue to do all that you do! :flower3:

Extra hugs:hug: to Kat & Nan and those of you who are missing your Moms. :hug:

A big thanks to all of you that support Moms & children! (Aimee, Becky, Marilyn, Maria).

I don't know what more to say, but agree with all of the heartfelt wishes that have already been expressed. You girls mean more to me than I can say.

Nancy, Thanks for the card & your beautiful words! You have such a way with words & are such a good friend to us all! :goodvibes

Sorry I wasn't able to get here this morning. We overslept & were crazed trying to get out of the house. My suprise lunch was a Ruth's Chris Steakhouse, yummy. I chose lamb instead of steak which was delicious. Unfortunately my littlest girl Alexis is sick with a fever, headache, stuffy nose & bad cough. So they couldn't come, Chris sounds worried about her cough. I think Rickie is going to stay home & take her to the dr tomorrow. Chris is worried about spreading whatever she has.

Debi's biopsy is scheduled for the 19th. :mad: They should have gotten her in sooner. Anyway she is praying & having a very positve attitude right now! Her husband (who works offshore) came in right away so that was good. They are discussing moving closer to all of us, if this does turn out to be lymphoma. We all live on the south shore of Lake Ponchatrain, after Katrina Debi & her DH bought property North of the lake. They are about 2- 2 1/2 hrs away.

Hey Guys!

Sorry I didn't check back yesterday...I had a busy day then had a call from my sister Patty that my Mom called my Aunt at 11pm the night before looking for my Dad (has been dead 4 years),
Thomas did great at the dr. He is 24 1/4 inches and 14.4 lbs...height is 90th percentile and weight is 75.
I enjoyed going to the butcher. Sheryl, I called and placed my order ahead of time based on what they had on special. My prayers go out to Debi. Please keep us posted.
Lauren, I'm so very sorry to learn that your Mom is not doing well. :hug: I am glad that she has gone to your sister's. I'll be praying for your family.

I'm happy that Tee is doing so well! What a big boy he is!

I don't think we have any places left in town that do all of that! :eek: We have the one that specializes is stuffed & seasoned meats, poultry, sausages. (The home of the turducken Nancy ordered from.) But nothing (that I know of) where you can order certain cuts of meats or hot dogs.

And we also have my nephew's first birthday party...well we are going for cake. can I vent???? My nephew married on of those women, you know the kind, there is only one family....hers.

Nan, I'm so sorry that you also have one of "those women" in your family! As you might remember my brother married one of them. I ran into my SIL's sister at the grocery, SHE told me my brother & his family had just gone to Disney and that she & her family would be going to Houston soon for my niece's 1st communion! I recieved the invitation to the communion yesterday, It is next Saturday!!! :mad: Yeah I understand! I don't get the jealousy part though, my SIL is just happy to not have any of us around.

Yesterday started out well, I went shopping with my DM. After shopping we went back to my parents to relax before dinner. My DM sprayed some ant spray in the front hall on the tile floor, after seeing DS slip on it she decided to go out there herself....needless to say DM slipped and fell very hard on the tile floor. She thinks she just wrenched her back :scared1:! Not sure what is for dinner. I need to go to the store, and it looks like grilling is out because of rain here.
Ann

Ann, I'm praying that your Mom will be okay. :hug: Thank goodness she didn't break anything!

Not to much going on,

Robin with the way things have been going around here, it is a relief to hear you say not much is going on! :goodvibes

I wanted to quickly post before I forget - Sheryl - Rouse's has seaweed salad, I saw it this morning. It's right where they sell the sushi.
Thanks Kat! I hope you had a nice day with your guys. :hug: I know you are hurting today. :hug:

OK, so are you guys gonna force my hand on the October trip??? ;)

We've sure been trying!

Just checking in from Boston. We walked a large portion of the Freedom Trail today and I'm tired!

I hope you're not just tired but having a good time!

We are at POP from the 9th till the 23rd.

I know youse guys have yer plans and i dont want to come steaming in but even a coffee and a bagel would so cool.
You're kidding! I can't believe we could meet up with "OUR SCOTLASS" that would be awesome! We really haven't made any definite plans for our WFD meet yet. We were just waitng til it was closer, after we book our ADR's & the F&W events come out. We will have to plan something so we can meet you! :yay:

mothers_day_butterflies.gif

(Hope you don't mind Nan I borrowed this!)

Happy Mother's Day to all my dear friends...keep in mind I don't feel like today is just about those of us with children. Happy Mother's day to anyone who is also a :love1: Godmother/ Aunt and nurtures those children with so much love. Happy Mother's Day to those of you with special :dogdance: Furbabies :cat:that you love and take care of daily. Acts like these require such nurturing and love. A special Mother's Day wish to all your wonderful Moms, who raised such warm caring woman and taught you the meaning of friendship. To my very special friends who are missing your DMs today :grouphug: extra hugs and love coming your way...someone is heaven is watching and smiling down on you today.

:grouphug:Ann

What beautiful words & thoughts Ann!! :thumbsup2 I second this!!!

:grouphug::love:

I have to share with you what Caili said today. We had a champagne toast for Mothers Day. We all (adults) clinked glasses and then Caili said: Happy Mothers Day to the best MomMom ever (my Mom), the best fairy godmother ever (me), and the best Mom ever in the whole wide world! (Laura). It was SO cute. Liam also distributed hugs, at his own pace. ;)

I did not go out of my way for pictures today, to aviod annoying my Mom. Here is the best I could do. Cornish hens:

3520034110_32abaed13c.jpg

Here is the salsa to go with:

3519220551_1a704b2642.jpg

brussel sprouts:

3519220455_02607ee4f8.jpg

Good morning!

I just wanted to do a quick check-in. I'm back from Boston. I'm planning to read back and see what I missed this weekend, but that will have to wait until tonight.

I hope everybody had a wonderful Mother's Day!

Have a great day!

Good Morning! Quick fly by...

Thank you all for the good thoughts and prayers for Mom. She is doing OK...my sister has her hands full. My Mom always was and still is somewhat belligerent.

Also, thank you for the Mother's Day wishes! You all have such a way with words...beautiful! I loved Caili's toast!

Sheryl, I hope Alexis feels better. Continued prayers for Debi.

I think tonight will be chicken parm, pasta and salad.

Have a great day all! BBL! :goodvibes

Fly by here too! Not sure WFD tonight. We're heading out of town on Thursday, so dinners this week will be easy and something w/o a lot of leftovers. We'll see what I find at the grocery store this afternoon.

Lauren--Hugs to you and your sis on the adjustment at having mom in sis's house.

Becky--Loved the toast!

Sheryl--hope little Alexis is okay, and it's just a cold! Prayers for Debi as well.

Okay, gotta get the troops out the door!

HI Everyone! I hope everyone had a great mothers day! I sure did! Kady was so sweet. She said that Mothers Day is for all girls. Just not the little ones like her. So even Erica was pampered. She was giving us back massages, gifts and even made us coffee :lovestruc. She knows how to make us happy, COFFEE!

I made deviled eggs on saturday. I used mayo, mustard, relish and salt. They were so good! They were gone before I knew it! I also made a Pampered Chef recipe. I made a fruit pizza, and my brothers were in heaven. I can post a recipe if anyone wants it.

Have a great day!

Hi, everyone.

As I was making Cinco de Mayo brownies last week, my first thought was I had to tell the WFD folks about it. That said, I want to apologize for my behavior, my blatant thoughtlessness, and just plain being a PITA.

If you guys don't mind me posting again, I'd love to rejoin the group. I've had a better week and things are going better on our end, and truthfully I have missed you guys. What happened was not me, and I resolve to be a better person.

I haven't read all this new thread, so I am starting here. I will get caught up as quickly as I can.

Thanks you all :hug:

And what started it all:

Mexican Brownies

1 box (1 lb 6.5 oz) Betty Crocker® Original Supreme brownie mix (with chocolate syrup pouch)
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
Water, vegetable oil and eggs called for on brownie mix box
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips (6 oz)
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup chopped pecans, toasted

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom only of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.

2. In medium bowl, stir together dry brownie mix and cinnamon. Add pouch of chocolate syrup, water, oil and eggs; stir until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips. Spread in pan.

3. Bake 28 to 30 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out almost clean. Cool completely, about 2 hours.

4. In 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low; boil and stir 2 minutes. Stir in milk. Heat to boiling. Remove from heat; cool to lukewarm, about 30 minutes.

5. Gradually beat powdered sugar into brown sugar mixture with wire whisk until blended, then beat until smooth. If frosting becomes too stiff, stir in additional milk, 1 teaspoon at a time. Spread frosting over brownies; sprinkle with pecans. For brownies, cut into 5 rows by 4 rows. Store tightly covered.

***I didn’t make the icing. I’ve had an icing like that before and it was VERY sweet. Instead, I used a container of classic chocolate by Betty Crocker/Duncan Hines.***

Morning ladies,

Just a quick update on what we had to eat at DB's house yesterday.
Cheese/pepperoni & crackers, crab cakes, nacho dip, grilled ribeyes, grilled swordfish, baked sweet potatoes, baked potatoes, salad, roasted asparagus, brownies a la mode, pecan bundt cake, cut up fresh pineapple, and a frozen strawberry dessert. All was delicious and way to much for 11 people. It looked like one of Becky's spreads;) !

Our little guy had a ball for himself playing with his cousins, but got way over stimulated and tired. That resulted in a bad night with an upset belly, and needless to say he never stopped playing to eat anything while we were there.

Not sure what the rest of the day will bring.

Hope everyone and your families are well.
Ann

Hi Lindsay! I am glad that you are back. :)

Tonight I am making salmon with a braised lettuce, pea, and scallions dish, as well as some orzo with zucchini, red pepper, and carrot.

You are probably going to notice a lot more healthy food coming out of my kitchen in the coming weeks. I really wanted to lose 10 lbs before our next trip to the Caribbean, and it's not going to happen. I've now revised my goal to 5 pounds, but I am going to have to change the amount of butter I eat to make it happen!

Edited to say that Bethany, I hope you had fun in Boston! What did you guys end up doing? Did you take a duck tour?

Also, I put some pictures of Caili at her skating show up on my facebook page--they are in the "Caili" photo album.

I haven't read back yet.

But I wanted to pop in real quick and tell you all I hope you had a great weekend. And Happy Mother's Day to all of our Mothers.

Busy morning already in the church. I promise I will BBL.

Quick check in!

Becky - Thanks for posting Caili's toast, it put a smile on my face.

Sheryl - I hope Alexis is feeling better, poor baby. Please update us when you can.

Lauren - Hoping Mom adjusts soon, it's very difficult for everyone.:hug:

Stephanie - Where are y'all off to now?:goodvibes

WFD - Red beans and rice (Yes, Bethany, all is right with the world;)) and grilled sausages.

Also a quick stop, I read back and will BBL, just wanted to say

Laura and Becky- you are blessed with that little girl:cloud9:

Sheryl- hope our little Princess feels better soon!

I am cleaning the linen closet and have to get back before I just close the door again

Glad to see you back Lindsey. WFD Beef roast poatoes cut up to bite size drizzled with olive oil and Mrs. Dash and broccoli. Can't wait Wednesday our local farmers market starts since I can't grow my own due to all the recent back and hip surgery. Hope everyone had a GREAT Mothers Day. It sure is hard to keep up with all the chatting going on here. Hope I haven't affended anyone by lurking and just popping in once and a while.
Sheryl how are you feeling? I think of you often. Hope Alexis feels better. Lauri

Hey...

Just a quicky.

I wanted to share....IM COOKING AGAIN !!

Thats twice in one week...:eek:

Nothing earth shattering just Spag Bols, but hey, its involves herby things,sharp knives and doesnt go * ping * when its ready so its progress !!

BBL to catch up.

Hi Everyone! I hope you all had a nice Mother's Day. I had a lot to read back on, so forgive me if I miss someone.

Welcome back, Lindsay.

Sheryl -- How is Alexis today? Better, I hope.

Ann -- I am glad your mom is okay after that fall. I hope Luke is feeling better. It sounds like you are in for a long day...I hope a nap is part of it.

Lauren -- How is your mom doing? It's great that Thomas is doing so well. Time really does go by fast, doesn't it?

Stephanie -- How was Kris's homecoming? I can't wait to see it on Tuesday.

Marisa -- What is fruit pizza? Kady is a sweetie.

Bethany -- Did you have fun in Boston?

Hugs to everyone else.

We had a busy, but fun, weekend. Liam had a good game Saturday. He had a nice hit, made a couple good defensive plays...the team lost badly, but that was okay. Caili's skating show was great. She was so excited to have everyone there, and she just did not want to leave the ice. Her team skated the best they have all year, so that was good to see too. Yesterday, we got to relax a bit at my mom's, so I'm not feeling as wiped out as I expected.

Good thing...it all starts again today. Caili has skating and Liam has a baseball game tonight, so my dad is taking Liam out for dinner, and Caili and I will eat at the game after skating.

The fruit pizza was such a hit! Here you go!

Fruit Pizza

1 package (18 ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese softened
1/3 cup sugar
4 cups assorted fresh fruit such as strawberries, bananas, kiwi, blueberries, etc (any fruit really)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place dough on round baking stone and flatten with baker's roller. Bake for 18-20 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and cool. For topping, combine cream cheese and sugar in classic batter bowl with mix n scraper. Spread over cookie dough with our spreaders. Then start placing on the fruit. Use egg slicer to slice kiwi, and strawberries. Use cherry pitter for fresh cherries. Citrus peeler for oranges, use knives to cut in segments. Do'n't forget the cutting board, and the crinkle cutter for pretty banana slices. (chill bananas so they will be firm)

HERE IS WHAT I DID!
I used the egg slicer to cut bananas and strawberries, then I nanatized it! I heated up some hot fudge in the microwave and HEAVILY drizzled it on the top! Just amazing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter