The What's for Dinner Thread- June 2012 (recipe index in OP)

Hi Nancy,
PIO came to my town after she arrived in America. We had lunch together and then after that we all went to view the house that we are trying to buy. I'm not sure if you've seen the thread that I started on that. EJ4DISNEY is over there following along. It's been kind of a nightmare.

After that, she and her family went their own way for a couple days. That was Friday afternoon. We met back up at DL on Sunday evening, we saw a show, had dinner and viewed the Fireworks and F!

The next day we toured the parks with her family pretty much from open to close. Thankfully it was only 10AM-8PM. After that we all went out to dinner at DTD. It was a lot of fun, but it was my first experience with "only in the room to sleep". :faint: Not going to do that again soon. While I'm sure PIO is going to go from open to close at WDW, Fran and I plan on a much more relaxed pace when we meet up in 10 days.

We'll probably say "Hi" in MK on Monday the 30th, but we won't get together for some serious meet ups until October 2nd when Fran and I move from the VWL to the BCV where PIO and her family are staying for their entire trip at WDW.

Fran and I have been doing pretty good, but just really busy with the whole "move" thing. She is feeling a lot better so she wears herself out and then sleeps for a while, then she gets back up and wears herself out again. it's a vicious cycle, but at least she is doing stuff.

I'm looking forward to our trip. We leave a week from Sunday! :cheer2:

Wow! Brandi- you and David are amazing! Keep it up! Buddy and I went to dinner at a local seafood place with some friends. Fried Scallops for me! YUM!

Allison- I saw that PIO visited you, at least I thin that is what I saw! Hope you all had fun! How are you and Fran doing?

We are pretty busy here. I am back in school, as is Marisa. She is tutoring in the learning center, and is booked every day she is there. I am really proud of her. This is Buddy's busy time at work, so all in all...crazy in the G household!'

Thanks Nancy...

I should post some pictures....

That fried Scallop sandwich sounds amazing!!!

How is school going? I know you were nervous at first with the impact to your family, but as I remember Buddy was making it through on Sandwiches which were ok with him...

Hi Nancy,
PIO came to my town after she arrived in America. We had lunch together and then after that we all went to view the house that we are trying to buy. I'm not sure if you've seen the thread that I started on that. EJ4DISNEY is over there following along. It's been kind of a nightmare.

After that, she and her family went their own way for a couple days. That was Friday afternoon. We met back up at DL on Sunday evening, we saw a show, had dinner and viewed the Fireworks and F!

The next day we toured the parks with her family pretty much from open to close. Thankfully it was only 10AM-8PM. After that we all went out to dinner at DTD. It was a lot of fun, but it was my first experience with "only in the room to sleep". :faint: Not going to do that again soon. While I'm sure PIO is going to go from open to close at WDW, Fran and I plan on a much more relaxed pace when we meet up in 10 days.

We'll probably say "Hi" in MK on Monday the 30th, but we won't get together for some serious meet ups until October 2nd when Fran and I move from the VWL to the BCV where PIO and her family are staying for their entire trip at WDW.

Fran and I have been doing pretty good, but just really busy with the whole "move" thing. She is feeling a lot better so she wears herself out and then sleeps for a while, then she gets back up and wears herself out again. it's a vicious cycle, but at least she is doing stuff.

Alison I think that is wonderful news about Fran, she feels good enough to wear herself out and then recovers and does it all over again. She will build stamina that way and is well on her way back.

She will be running you pretty soon! Are you ready?

How is school going? I know you were nervous at first with the impact to your family, but as I remember Buddy was making it through on Sandwiches which were ok with him...

School is going ;) It is much harder this year, so I am trying to find some sort of balance. Buddy would live on sandwiches, so that is good. i try to cook but he has taken over some of the food. Not cooking! We generally go to dinner at least once a week, and he watches kady on Wednesday nights and sometimes on Monday, if jeff works late. He takes her to dinner so they eat a hot meal. He had stopped going alone with her for a while, because she was not talkative, and he did nto know how to pass the time, so they are now having a blast! If you ask the right questions, she is Chatty Cathy!

Hi Nancy,

Well, that is fabulous! It was not that long ago that she was exhausted all of the time, so this is a huge leap forward!

I have to brag a bit about Kady, if you all don't mind. She is her Mother's daughter! She is one of those nice kids in school, she doesn't get involved in confrontation, but has figured out how to step in if she needs to help, no bullying allowed when Kady is in the house! Anyway, there are a few service groups in Middle school, and she has applied for one, and been accepted. The other doesn't start accepting applications until next month, but she is on board with that one as well. I am so proud of her!

It is gorgeous here today, so I am cleaning cleaning cleaning! We usually o to mass on Saturday, but it cuts my day off at the knees, so we will venture out into the rain tomorrow morning instead. Dinner is Buddy's request...Burgers and fresh veggies in a salad.

We went to Annapolis today to the Farmers Market. I got a bushel of Royal Gala apples... 62.5 pounds....

Guess who is making apple sauce and apple butter...

We bought David some glass, and then headed to the mall to get him some socks.. He buys the ones at clarks and the have a life time warranty, so when they wear thin or when you get tired of them you just take them in and exchange them for new ones...

After we did that we headed over to JC Pennys... Let me say that I hate to shop. I really do, if alison and fran lived close, I might hire them to be personal shoppers for more than hand bags!

Anyway, I need some dressier clothes for the new job, so I had to try some dresses on, I almost fainted when I could zip up easy an 8... I was so excited, any 8 on the rack, fit.

Needless to say I bought about 8 business dresses, and 1 formal for the upcoming cruise, and 4 more dresses that are cruise/date night but NOT work dresses.... :)

Then I told David that these dresses would look awesome with a jacket, so I got a business black jacket and they do look good.

Then I told him that some tall black boots would set them off, so I got a pair of boots, a pair of dress shoes to go with the dress, and a pair of sandals...

$529 for everything.

I thought that was so cheap. The dresses are awesome and the formal is beautiful.

I feel like a princess, with all my new stuff...

School is going ;) It is much harder this year, so I am trying to find some sort of balance. Buddy would live on sandwiches, so that is good. i try to cook but he has taken over some of the food. Not cooking! We generally go to dinner at least once a week, and he watches kady on Wednesday nights and sometimes on Monday, if jeff works late. He takes her to dinner so they eat a hot meal. He had stopped going alone with her for a while, because she was not talkative, and he did nto know how to pass the time, so they are now having a blast! If you ask the right questions, she is Chatty Cathy!

Sorry it so much harder but the pay off will be worth it... It is so nice to hear that they are dinning and talking to each other, this will be special memories for them both.

I have to brag a bit about Kady, if you all don't mind. She is her Mother's daughter! She is one of those nice kids in school, she doesn't get involved in confrontation, but has figured out how to step in if she needs to help, no bullying allowed when Kady is in the house! Anyway, there are a few service groups in Middle school, and she has applied for one, and been accepted. The other doesn't start accepting applications until next month, but she is on board with that one as well. I am so proud of her!
Be proud and brag all you want, Kady sounds like a beautiful person, and I know she will do good in this world.:hug:

It is gorgeous here today, so I am cleaning cleaning cleaning! We usually o to mass on Saturday, but it cuts my day off at the knees, so we will venture out into the rain tomorrow morning instead. Dinner is Buddy's request...Burgers and fresh veggies in a salad.

Enjoy the cleaning and the burgers...:woohoo:

Brandi!!!!! You hot thing, you!!!! What a wonderful reward for all of your commitment! Are you on FB? I would love to see pics! I also have some of Kady there, I am not comfortable posting them here.

So the entire house is spotless. I hauled out my steam buggy and blasted all the woodwork and stone in my living area so it really is clean. It was pretty awful, it is mostly barn wood so dust sticks to it and you can't dust it. The fireplace is field stone, another dust magnet, and buddy got a huge piece of old chestnut from a tobacco shed for the mantle. Another dust magnet. It's a pita!

That's a great deal on the dresses and stuff! I wish I was 46 pounds lighter and needed a new wardrobe! However I couod just get all my clothes that I bixed up back out and just wear those!

Brandi!!!!! You hot thing, you!!!! What a wonderful reward for all of your commitment! Are you on FB? I would love to see pics! I also have some of Kady there, I am not comfortable posting them here.

So the entire house is spotless. I hauled out my steam buggy and blasted all the woodwork and stone in my living area so it really is clean. It was pretty awful, it is mostly barn wood so dust sticks to it and you can't dust it. The fireplace is field stone, another dust magnet, and buddy got a huge piece of old chestnut from a tobacco shed for the mantle. Another dust magnet. It's a pita!

Yes I am on FB.... I will send you a PM

That's a great deal on the dresses and stuff! I wish I was 46 pounds lighter and needed a new wardrobe! However I couod just get all my clothes that I bixed up back out and just wear those!

I got a beautiful formal gown for the cruise, it was marked at $100 it was 50% off and then I got another 20% so the dress was only $39.99

I could not believe it....

About the clothes, when I dug mine out, they were all about out of style so I got to get new ones...

morning all...

So I have playing around with pumpkin puree...

I bought a huge pumpkin, called a sugar pumpkin... Anyway, I roasted it, and puree'd all of the pulp and roasted the seeds. It made so much pumpkin puree, I was very surprised.

I made these crustless pumpkin pies, well they turned out kind of like custard instead of pie, but they were delish!

Then I thought about using in a cake in place of applesauce. I know back in the day of low fat everything I used to replace the eggs and oil with applesauce, so I went in search of information on the internet.

I found that people had been doing the same thing with pumpkin. I must also tell you that this pumpkin is very light in flavor almost no flavor at all.

So I had a box cake ( i know....) that expired in like 2009... Gross I know, but I this was an experiment anyway, so i was not really concerned. So 1 yellow box cake mix and 12 oz of pumpkin puree, mix and bake as directed... Well it did not rise, but maybe 1.5 inches, I think the leveling agent might have expired (huh?) well the taste was out of this world, david almost could not stop eating it. I put a tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice in the mix too before baking.

So then after that cake was polished off, I decided to make a chocolate cake from scratch. ok then in place of eggs and oil I used 12 oz of pumpkin puree, and in place of sugar I used splenda.... Not the best in the world, very weird after taste, I think it is coming from the splenda.... Anyone know if Stevia has the same after taste?

I think if I make again it will be with white or yellow cake mix... and the spice mix. But the sugar vice splenda is really hard for me, would welcome ideas...

Brandi- I have been substituting pumpkin in recipes for year. When kady had her allergies, i used to make pumpkin chocolate cupcakes and they were out of this world.

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin
18 ounces devil's food cake mix
1/4-1/2 cup water
Directions
Mix all together by hand or you may use a mixer.
Bake at 350°F in mini muffin tins for 30-35 minutes.

You can use a spice cake as well, and it will be super!

Use 1 can of pumpkin, 3 eggs and some raisins and bake a spice cake in any pan, and it will rise.

Thats it!

Also, put some in Chili, i

Last night for Meatless Monday I made a Black Bean and Barley soup that was low calorie and supper delish, David said it was a keeper...

Come on y'all what did you have?

Brandi- I have been substituting pumpkin in recipes for year. When kady had her allergies, i used to make pumpkin chocolate cupcakes and they were out of this world.

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) cans pumpkin
18 ounces devil's food cake mix
1/4-1/2 cup water
Directions
Mix all together by hand or you may use a mixer.
Bake at 350°F in mini muffin tins for 30-35 minutes.

You can use a spice cake as well, and it will be super!

Use 1 can of pumpkin, 3 eggs and some raisins and bake a spice cake in any pan, and it will rise.

Thats it!

Also, put some in Chili, i

Nancy, that is awesome...

Thanks for the recipe. I will have to try that. I think my problem this last time was the splenda...

I might need to mix half and half with real sugar...

I wish I could get Fran on board with trying to eat low cal! I made a BBQ pork pot roast the ither night and we have a ton of leftovers. So we had pulled pork BBQ sandwiches. I made some cole slaw to go with them. I like the cole slaw on the sandwich itself.

Now that we are back in town fir sort of a luttle while I have got back into making dinner every night instead if relying on packaged meals.

Allison- I hear you on the low calorie thing. Buddy tells me he wants to be more careful.................but when it comes to eating what I cooked, he :scared:. I am not good at cooking two things and then not eating to "good" one. I will say that some of my fat reductions have been really habit forming. I used to always use bacon in my sauerkraut, but when we were following WW, I stopped. I would add the precooked bacon, and a little vegetable oil, but no sat fat. Well, I fixed it "my old way" and neither one of us liked it. And no more pound cakes either We tossed the last one out. It was delicious, but holy heavy! So I guess we have made a few changes, but nowhere near enough. It does not help that I am gone three nights a week, just for school.

I wish I could get Fran on board with trying to eat low cal! I made a BBQ pork pot roast the ither night and we have a ton of leftovers. So we had pulled pork BBQ sandwiches. I made some cole slaw to go with them. I like the cole slaw on the sandwich itself.

Now that we are back in town fir sort of a luttle while I have got back into making dinner every night instead if relying on packaged meals.

Allison- I hear you on the low calorie thing. Buddy tells me he wants to be more careful.................but when it comes to eating what I cooked, he :scared:. I am not good at cooking two things and then not eating to "good" one. I will say that some of my fat reductions have been really habit forming. I used to always use bacon in my sauerkraut, but when we were following WW, I stopped. I would add the precooked bacon, and a little vegetable oil, but no sat fat. Well, I fixed it "my old way" and neither one of us liked it. And no more pound cakes either We tossed the last one out. It was delicious, but holy heavy! So I guess we have made a few changes, but nowhere near enough. It does not help that I am gone three nights a week, just for school.

One of the best things is that David is doing all of this with me.

I almost feel out of my chair last night when he told me that we could do meatless two night a week!

Can you believe that this die hard meat and potatoes guy is going to go meatless two night a week!

Brandi- Buddy would faint if I tried to give him meatless Monday. I get a little frustrated becasue he tells everyone who will listen to him that he is an easy guy when it comes to food, but he is definitely not. He has some very clear ideas about food and meals, so I am happy that he also loves sandwiches, becasue he gets them a lot lately!

last night I roasted chicken and sweet potatoes with green beans. I also made a bread pudding with some apple cider donuts. Yuch! Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too sweet for me.

Bud has a meeting tonight and so I think I need to find something for him to eat. He usually cares for Kady on Wednesday and takes her out for dinner so I did not plan anything.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter