The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

I did know that we are number 1 in Jell-O consumption, and we used to be number one in ice cream consumption. How's that for useless trivia!!!

I bet that we are #1 now.....Buddy cannot get enough ice cream :rotfl:

Well, I got Jacob all outfitted for school today. Not that he needed much. Just a pair of pants, a new shirt for the first day of school and some underwear! I just love that kid! After we shopped, we split a personal cheese pizza, and then had a shake. It was nice to have some one on one time with my little man! Tomorrow I'll take Leslie out and try to have a nice experience there, too. She's a little more high maintenance. Luckily, she and Mary don't need a whole lot for school. Mostly just some pants. Their shirts from last year still fit, so that's good.

I ended up not making the rotisserie chicken ragout last night. We had mac and cheese instead. Tonight I will make the ragout.

Prayers for all of you who need them!

It is so nice that you get to take them out individually. I love high maintenance girls as long as I am not shopping with them. Some day I'll share my shopping trips with Debbie and Kim. Both were athletes, developed muscles in places girls should not until they are 25 and very opinionated about clothing. One shoe trip ended badly until Marisa picked her up, gave her 5 minutes to say yes to the shoe and leave:eek:

Tonight it's hamburger pizzas! Not too excited about them, but my father gave me a whole bunch so they were free!

As Sheryl pointed out we all like free!

The weird thing is in the past we have always had just one at a time, I swear it's using my house as a hotel. :confused:

:rotfl::rotfl:

No fussing necessary, I've already been fussed at by Chris & will get more when DH comes home & DD finds out.

As long as the fussing have been taken care of.......................

We are having grilled steak, broccoli and salad. I started a potato and onion packet but Nola was having no part of my fixing dinner so that will wait until tomorrow. Dinner may be :scared1:, Buddy has been saying there is nothing wrong with the grill but tonight it is just simmering. Mind you he has never used the grill and it is really in sad shape but tonight he said dinner would take a loooooooooog time.:sad2: I am okay with that, I just poured a glass of wine to hold me over!

Morning ladies! Thanks for all the welcome backs.

Crazy trip! I'm glad that you made the best of it :hug:

This was on Sunday and I told Mom I needed to bring her when Dad was feeling up to it. I'm not sure he is really able to handle her visit, but he doesn't want to keep her away any longer if she is calling for him.

I hope it goes well.

Hey Guys! BBL later to catch up...I went to the Endocrinologist today and my levels were high so I now have to take 4 pills a day instead of 2. I also cannot have my heartrate go over 100 since Graves disease can affect the heart. I am also starting to get symptoms of hyperthyroidism/Graves Disease. At times I feel it hard to swallow due to the size of the thyroid and sweat like a pig...something I never did. Last week while bowling my head was soaking wet with sweat. What joy. I am probably going to have my thyroid removed soon...as soon as my levels are stable, I can talk about surgery. I will then have to take Synthroid everyday. Getting it removed will mean no more painful biopsies, not as many dr appointments and not as many pills.

:eek: I'm sorry you're having issues :hug:

I just did something really dumb. I went to water my potted plants, I've done it the past week using the hose with no problems. I realized they hadn't had plant food in quite a while. So I poured the plant food in the watering can & filled it up. Not realizing it's a 2 gallon can & a bit heavy. Well I picked it up & then I knew it! I'm hurting from it already. Say some prayers I didn't hurt anything. No fussing necessary, I've already been fussed at by Chris & will get more when DH comes home & DD finds out.

:hug:

I think we're having grilled shrimp and corn tonight... and maybe rice... my throat is back to bothering me a lot today and while I'm starving, it hurts too much to bother eating. I will see if I can get down the shrimp and corn without too much issue.

Disney WWYD: We are going to WDW Dec 18-26. I scored a great rate at a Comfort Inn for the first 5 nights but we need somewhere from 23-26, so three nights. Since I am told that is a crazy time at WDW, I thought we'd stay at The Dolphin so we don't have to drive anywhere if we don't want to and I looooooooove that Boardwalk area. Mom says the traffic is horrid and staying as close to property as possible is key. We may not even do the parks those days, but want to be close for dining, extra activities, pool, fireworks, etc. I got a $169 rate at Dolphin the first two nights but on Christmas, the lowest rate out is $319. Y'all, I have never spent that on a hotel and it kills me to pay rack. But it's Christmas! DH is about to have a heartattack :sad2: Now, I paid $150 for the first FIVE NIGHTS of hotel total so I think we've earned the splurge but he's not as easily convinced.

We can stay at the Gaylord or Celebration Hotel for half the price. But, we'd have to drive anyplace we wanted to go and mess with parking/traffic. Is it worth the extra $150 to stay in the Epcot area on Christmas? Or would you save the money and book an offsite spot?

Marilyn, I hope you get that little trespasser tonight!

I just did something really dumb. I went to water my potted plants, I've done it the past week using the hose with no problems. I realized they hadn't had plant food in quite a while. So I poured the plant food in the watering can & filled it up. Not realizing it's a 2 gallon can & a bit heavy. Well I picked it up & then I knew it! I'm hurting from it already. Say some prayers I didn't hurt anything. No fussing necessary, I've already been fussed at by Chris & will get more when DH comes home & DD finds out.

OH NOOO Praying :hug: I know we do things without thinking that's a sign that your doing well TAKE IT EASY MY FRIEND :hug:

Sheryl- :hug: You're lucky I don't bring out the eyebrow, I am known in other parts of the Dis for that and it means you are in trouble.

Change in dinner tonight, the ground beef was frozen and I didn't feel like messing with it so I am making crab legs.

I am going to be very good tonight and get lots of stuff done. I am off to eat dinner then I am going to find something to dust and fold.

Bejeweled Blitz is offline tonight. :rotfl:

Aimee - Are any "true" Disney on-site hotels available? The reason I'm asking is because if the parks fill to capacity, I'm not sure the Dolphin has the same status to get into the parks. Also, I can't remember if they are eligible for EMH or not. Otherwise, I think the Dolphin is a great location and the price is about half of what you'd pay at the neighboring WDW hotels.

Sheryl - :hug: I'm looking forward to Thursday! :goodvibes

Marilyn - Mice LOVE chocolate, and meat grease. :confused3 They are nocturnal and tend to run along the walls - I've read it's because they don't see well and use their whiskers to help them move. So...put your traps along the edge of walls and bait them with meat grease or chocolate. :thumbsup2

Glynis - That is a lot of shopping! Good luck!

Lauren - I hope you feel better soon! That sounds miserable. :hug:

Kathy - Sorry you are going through a rough time. :hug:

Nancy - That really stinks about the farm. :hug: Even the weather is not cooperating to help out the economy. :headache: This summer has been so weird for so much of the country. I think it's been normal here...:confused3 Is it? Kathy? Sheryl? Is this normal? :rotfl:

There was more I was going to say...but I got distracted and now I can't remember. :headache:

I know someone was talking about a blueberry french toast recently. I looked back through the threads and couldn't find it. Can someone help? If it's something I can fix the night before I'd like to try it this weekend.:goodvibes

Sheryl Hopefully you are only sore and didn't hurt anything.

I have only one piece of carpet to take up but I am all out of steam. Working all day and then coming home to do demo is wearing me out. I found where Mr mouse got in upstairs. There is a hole in the floor of the closet. I will plug that up and my cat will not have anymore snacks.;)

I thought I should paint as long as the floor is not down. Then I won't have to worry about dripping on the new floor.:thumbsup2

Glynis I have not shopped for Alex yet. September has always been his growing time. I am waiting for his growing to stop.

Tonight we went out for sandwiches I am pooped.

I know someone was talking about a blueberry french toast recently. I looked back through the threads and couldn't find it. Can someone help? If it's something I can fix the night before I'd like to try it this weekend.:goodvibes

I've got a couple of overnight french toast recipes that call for various fruits. I'll look through my stuff and post what I can find.

Bethany - I'd like to comment on the weather here but I don't want to jinx us....extremely quiet hurricane season.....I didn't just say that.

Ok, here's a couple of recipes. None of them call specifically for blueberries, but I'm betting that you could throw them in.

Raspberry-Cinnamon French Toast

12 slices cinnamon bread, cubed
5 eggs, beaten
1 3/4 C. milk
1 C. packed brown sugar, divided
1/4 tsp. each cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 C. slivered almonds
1/4 C. butter, melted
2 C. fresh raspberries

Place bread cubes in a greased 13-9-inch baking dish. In a bowl, combine the eggs, milk, 3/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon and nutmeg; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle almonds over the egg mixture. Combine butter and remaining brown sugar; drizzle over the top. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle with raspberries. Bake 10 minutes longer or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.

Maple French Toast Casserole

7 C. cubed French bread
1/2 C. golden raisins
1 pkg. (3 oz) cream cheese, softened
1 C. warm heavy whipping cream
1/4 C. maple syrup
6 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp. salt
Additional maple syrup

Place bread in a greased baking dish; press down gently. Sprinkle with raising. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy. Gradually beat in whipping cream and syrup; mix well. Whisk together the eggs, vanilla, cinnamon and salt; add to cream cheese. Pour over bread; lightly press with a spatula. Cover; refrigerate overnight. Remove 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes. Uncover, bake 20-25 minutes longer or until center is set and top is golden brown. Serve with syrup.

I know I have some more. I'll keep looking.

I just went outside and the fighter jets are flying in circles. Kinda cool to watch. :goodvibes

As long as the fussing have been taken care of.......................

:rotfl::rotfl2:I missed this earlier; I only caught it when I went back to see what I missed in the earlier post!

:cheer2::dance3::yay::woohoo::cheer2::dance3::yay::woohoo:

I made the OP !!

Ok sure, not quite the traditional way but be serious it was never gonnae happen for my " cooking skills " now was it !!??

" Im in the OP,Im in the OP...na na na na na..Im in the OP !!"

The guy is hot, but you are a hot mess! :lmao::rotfl::rotfl2:

Thanks everyone for your concern.

Nothing MAJOR just a big dissapointment for all of us. The sun WILL come up tomorrow and with everything else going on in this thread it is nothing.

But thanks SO much for all of the good wishes. You have no idea how much I appreciate it. Life goes on.

Ellen

:hug: It's NOT NOTHING. You don't have to share if you don't want to, but you are always welcome to share what's going on - good OR bad. That's what this thread is all about! It's like a family dinner in here...you meet up to eat, but the heart of the meal is the conversation and support. :grouphug:

We had burgers for dinner tonight. That was Liam's choice. At first I wasn't sure I wanted that, but they tasted so good after our day of sun and surf. Liam was a little disappointed that he missed out on the beach, but he had a great time at the camp too. He agreed that he would rather miss out on one afternoon of beach to skip three days of sitting in the skating rink.

I love a good burger! :lovestruc (Ask Sheryl :laughing:) Your kids sound like they are being raised right, and I'm always amazed at how committed they are to their activities. :goodvibes

I got part of the carpet up. Surprise the carpet padding is foam.:confused3 This builder did everything on the cheap. I am all for a bargain but foam. Thank god we never had a fire :scared1: I hope to have to rest of the carpet up tonight but I am not going to overdo it. I have to go to work this week. Where did I get such heavy furniture?:rolleyes1

:scared1: WOW! I'm glad you're changing it out!

So, trip drama. Here goes. We traveled to Northern Wisconsin to stay a week with my parents in the house they rent for 3 weeks. We were invited, not vacation crashers. So,I figured that we might do some stuff with them during the week. Heck, we brought their grandkids with us. We spent 7 days in the same house as them and we only did one thing with them, and that was maybe for 2 hours. We invited them to come with us to do stuff. But they made other plans and didn't include us in on anything. I mean, who has a vacation for a week with their grandchildren and doesn't do anything with them. Really made me mad, I mean, these are my parents! But I prayed for a change of attitude (for myself, can't change what they will or won't do) and we had a nice time. Just the 4 of us.

So, then we start driving home late Saturday afternoon after a lovely time with some old friends. We get about 30min from our stop for the night (8:30pm) and both our headlights go out! :scared1: Who has that luck? So, we drove the rest of the way with fog lamps and brights. Scott got up early Sunday morning and changed the headlights. We get on the road only to find out our car DVD player won't work. Oh goodie, gonna be a fun 13 hour drive home. So, then I think "Aha! I can play some shows off my iPhone" only to discover that I have almost no battery left and I left my charger in Wisconsin. Geez! So we stopped and got a car charger at a Walmart. We made it home after that w/o any other problems.

:confused3 That is unbelievable about your trip - both the way the family dynamics went and also BOTH lights going out at the same time. Are you sure it's not some sort of short?

Bethany - I'd like to comment on the weather here but I don't want to jinx us....extremely quiet hurricane season.....I didn't just say that.

Say what? :rolleyes1 ...and I'm actually beginning to get unnerved by that...

Today was gorgeous minus about an hour of pouring rain. :rotfl:

And I KNEW it was going to rain. HOW? I always forget to put up that sunshade thing. My car (with a black interior) was so hot when I got in it to run errands. So when we got back, I put in the sunshade....because NO CLOUDS IN SIGHT. FINALLY remembered! Yes! And I thought to myself...because I'm putting this thing up, it's going to rain. MMmmhmmm. Rain it did! :rotfl:

And yes, OF COURSE I got caught out in it. I was out walking to the mailbox. With the dog that doesn't like rain. :rotfl2:

Kathy I found this that Sheryl made http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=30331354&postcount=379 you can easily make pancakes instead of waffles or just zip over to Sheryl's house:rolleyes1.

Alex went on a cheesecake factory tour and brought me homw a sampler of 4 different kinds. So far I had a small wedge of french silk last night and tonight I had the carmel apple. Since I am doing so much physical labor I thought I need the extra calories.

My upstairs looks so bad I hope no one comes by in the next couple of days. I forgot to mention. This morning I scared my self so bad. I was coming out of the bathroom and going do the hall and saw a dark shape out of the corner of my eye. It was my recliner but it sure put up quite a battle. :rotfl2: Good thing I was alone and no one witnessed my punch a defenseless chair.

Bejeweled Blitz is offline tonight. :rotfl:

Ack! Whatever will I do late tonight while watching mindless TV? :eek:

:laughing:

Aimee - Are any "true" Disney on-site hotels available? The reason I'm asking is because if the parks fill to capacity, I'm not sure the Dolphin has the same status to get into the parks. Also, I can't remember if they are eligible for EMH or not. Otherwise, I think the Dolphin is a great location and the price is about half of what you'd pay at the neighboring WDW hotels.

Yes, they do have some but all of the deluxe hotels are pretty pricey. I usually okay at a moderate but hate the buses and end up driving and dealing with traffic anyways. I know, I'm weird. Plus the moderates are $219 :eek: We are likely not going to go to the parks on Christmas - if we do, it's be Epcot, which has not closed in the past (usually MK).

I checked and Swanolphin hotels are eligible for EMH and are on the WDW transportation system. But you can't charge to the room, buy the dining plan, or do package delivery.

Can I just say how much I :lovestruc my GI? I was watching TV a couple hours ago and the GI office called (caller ID). Picked it up and it was him! I expected his assistant, since she was checking on why I don't have medication yet. He said he got the lab results and the biopsies confirmed Crohns - what a surprise :laughing: It is good news, as there is a slightly higher risk of cancer and you never want cancerous cells to show up.

He also wanted to see how I was feeling and when I told him about my throat, he said it should not still hurt. :confused3 He apologized and said if it still hurts next week, come in and we'll see what's going on.

Thanks Janice!!!!

Nan - :worship: Thanks so much for the wrinkle release recipe. It is freaking amazing, my son will not have to look rumpled when he's at LSU!!!!!

Can I just say how much I :lovestruc my GI? I was watching TV a couple hours ago and the GI office called (caller ID). Picked it up and it was him! I expected his assistant, since she was checking on why I don't have medication yet. He said he got the lab results and the biopsies confirmed Crohns - what a surprise :laughing: It is good news, as there is a slightly higher risk of cancer and you never want cancerous cells to show up.

He also wanted to see how I was feeling and when I told him about my throat, he said it should not still hurt. :confused3 He apologized and said if it still hurts next week, come in and we'll see what's going on.

That's wonderful news Aimee, hopefully your throat will get better soon!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter