The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

We have since negotiated the little guy a reprieve. He stays in my flower pot and he gets a pass.

:rotfl:

My baby starts kindergarten 2 weeks from today :sad1:

My youngest DN starts K this year too. :sad1:

Making a Blue Cheese and bacon burger for dinner tonight. I saw these BC burgers at Wegmans, they just mixed the cheese in to the meat, so I am going to do the same. I may even add a little hot sauce to the meat to give it some kick. Then I'll fry up a little bacon to top them off and have it on some sort of roll, have to go to the store as I have no bread in the house.

Hey y'all bunch of chatty women!

I'm feeling okay a little stiff. Alexis little recital last night was good, but I forgot the camera. This morning I'm making my breakfast & see DD outside skimming the pool. So I took my breakfast & coffee out there, but gosh it was hot already. That made me decide to get in the pool for my first attempt to swim. The incisions are healed enough for that. That helped loosen the muscles up, so I'm feeling pretty good now.

Sheryl- :hug: You're lucky I don't bring out the eyebrow, I am known in other parts of the Dis for that and it means you are in trouble.
I wonder how I've managed this long not to get the eyebrow??!! ;):laughing:

Bethany - I'd like to comment on the weather here but I don't want to jinx us....extremely quiet hurricane season.....I didn't just say that.

Hush!;)

And I KNEW it was going to rain. HOW? I always forget to put up that sunshade thing. My car (with a black interior) was so hot when I got in it to run errands. So when we got back, I put in the sunshade....because NO CLOUDS IN SIGHT. FINALLY remembered! Yes! And I thought to myself...because I'm putting this thing up, it's going to rain. MMmmhmmm. Rain it did! :rotfl:

And yes, OF COURSE I got caught out in it. I was out walking to the mailbox. With the dog that doesn't like rain. :rotfl2:

Well now I don't know whether or not to remind you to put the shade up this evening or not! :confused3 I'm looking forward to tomorrow's lunch!:goodvibes

Oh no! It starts so young, doesn't it? At least for now, Caili is above boys. She can agree with her friends that some of the boys are cute, but she doesn't LIKE them. I hope you are feeling okay.

That is so true! Some of the heirloom tomatoes around here look completely deformed, but they are delicious. I always pick ugly limes...they are juicier.
I feel a little better since I talked with Alexis last night. It sounds like the boy is the only friend she's made at camp. I think she was surprised that a boy could be nice!:laughing:

I wish I could send all of you creole tomatoes. It's too late in the season for that now. Maybe next year I'll find out how to do that! They are so good!

:I prefer to be in blissful denial about the H word. I wanted to know if the hot, in the 90s every day with the pop up thundershowers complete with these insane downpours was normal. I can give you the weather report for the rest of the month, based on the last month:

High 80s by 9am
Mid to high 90s by noon
Pop up, isolated thundershowers in the afternoon
Lows in the mid to high 70s overnight

Throw in a few map pictures, the words "southeast Louisiana" every other sentence, some "lake breeze", "sea breeze", "microburst", and "humid" every so often and you could fill in for the local weatherman.

Yep, you've got it down!

Morning all! Last night the troops had breakfast for dinner, so I think tonight will be enchiladas.

Sheryl--I feel the pain on the school supplies. My baby starts kindergarten 2 weeks from today :sad1: and we've had to buy uniforms, school specific shirts, new shoes, school supplies--and then we still have to go up to the school and buy the stuff we can only get there (at least according to them) Welcome to private school, I guess. Time to start eating on a budget. Hope you're not in pain anymore.

Kathy--when does your DS head to LSU? Thanks for the PM--all cool here!

Well, as I posted above Emma starts kindergarten on the 19th, 2 weeks from today. I'm already a mess. I've had her almost 24/7 for 5 1/2 years and now she'll be with someone else for most of her day. She's totally excited and ready to go. I'm gonna be a sobbing fool in the parking lot dropping her off. Who let her grow up so fast?

Stephanie, Alexis is in a Catholic school, so yeah welcome to private school, Please hand over all of your money now! School supplies yesterday $158.00! and she still needs a couple of new uniforms. She's growing.

I feel your pain about sending Emma to kindergarten it's hard. Believe me you won't be the only sobbing Mom in the parking lot.

I'm stressing too Alexis can start riding the bus this year. Right now I really need her too. Last year she wanted to do it so bad, but she had a bad experience on a camp field trip. So she's is saying No bus! Aaahh!

Janice, I can't believe your doing all that work yourself! :hug: You're going to hurt. Are you putting more carpet down? Doing that yourself also???

Nan, I would have run that snake off right away! Probably my screams would have scared him away!

Aimee, I say go for it! Rack rates at the Beach Club run around $430-450! The Dolphin's beds were very nice, there lots of food around there. It's a short walk to the boardwalk.

I'm waiting for my housekeeper to come. There are some benifits to surgery! :laughing:

Ron is okay with it all, which I think surprised DSD (22). Part of growing up is making your own decisions, and dealing with the results. I just hope they are ready and doing it for the right reasons. Her fiance is enlisting in the Army, and they are planning on getting married by October before he would leave.
I hope it all works out for their son, but to date their relationship has been a rollercoaster. I don't mean to sound negative I just have my doubts that either one is ready to grow up so fast, and has an idea of what lies ahead.
I hope I expressed clearly how I am feeling.

I understand you perfectly. There comes a point when a parent just needs to let them make their own decisions and be there JIC. There are always a myriad of reasons people marry and I am willing to bet that at that age most are not necessarily the right ones. Wishing them good luck!

My youngest DN starts K this year too. :sad1:

:hug:

Dinner is ready. I sauted peppers, onions carrots and garlic with browned ground turkey. Added oregano, tomatoes adn tomato paste, Worchestershire sauce S&P. Added red beans and Success brown rice (BLECH!!!!!!!!!!!) It is pretty good. Budy will never touch it so he is having leftover steak and salad.

He was the only mouse we have had that behaved himself and climbed in the nice humane trap. Although he was a little rude and came back in the house and right back in the trap after I threw him in the woods out back. :rotfl: The 2nd time I drove him a mile away, should have charged him gas money. ;)
:rotfl:

I'm gonna be a sobbing fool in the parking lot dropping her off. Who let her grow up so fast?
:hug: It is hard letting them go. I actually did pretty well with Caili. She just looked so happy and proud waving to me from the bus that I couldn't be sad.

Also, my DSD got engaged recently. :rolleyes1
It is a good thing because it is to DSGS's dad, but they have alot of growing up to do. I hope it works out.

I wish them both well. You might be surprised at how much growing up occurs once he joins the Army, at least on his part. Financially, it is much better for them to be married because your DSD will get a housing allotment while he is training. Plus, the health insurance is excellent.

I feel a little better since I talked with Alexis last night. It sounds like the boy is the only friend she's made at camp. I think she was surprised that a boy could be nice!:laughing:

Cute! Can you find out if any of Alexis's friends will be on the bus? Caili and Liam both love riding the bus because all their friends do. (We'll see how long that lasts...at some point, the bus is decidedly uncool.)

Janice -- I'm glad you won the fight with the chair. :laughing:

Aimee -- Your doctor sounds wonderful.

Nancy -- Wow, you have quite the wine production going! You'll have to start thinking about where to put your tasting room. ;)

Kathy -- Do you have special meals planned for Kyle?

I think we are just having sandwiches for dinner tonight. By the time I get Liam from camp, we will only have 40 minutes before we need to get in the car again to go to his game. Thanks for all the good luck!

Well I'm a little late but I found our new home, it's just as lovely as the last one. Can't believe you guys are already ten pages in. I have read all the way back, but I hope you are all doing well.

Bethany- I love what you said about our group, how it's dinner table conversation. I hope you know what I'm talking about but I really need to learn how to use the quote button. I think you summed it up perfectly.

Sheryl- Sometimes forgetting the camera works out for the best, your so focused on getting a good picture you sometimes don't get to enjoy what you are there for. Hope your feeling better everyday.

Ann- I turned 20 about 2 weeks after I got married. We'll be going on ten years in February, and boy have we grown up alot. The two of us have never had any problems, I don't want to immply that. My sister in law is 20, and I see her and sometimes think were we like that. My long winded point is, sometimes things do work out. Glad you got some shopping in this morning.

Becky- I made spicy sweet potato sticks for thanksgiving one year, of couse my inlaws were late so I reheated them in the microwave. Forgot all about them, no sweet potatoes that year.

Stephanie- Good luck with kindergarten starting, I did better than I thought I would have. She was so ready to go to school and I was ready to go to the grocery store by myself!

My kiddo goes to public school, but I can't believe some of the school supply lists I hear about. Usually her's consist's of pencils, markers, and a couple of little random things.

I'm off to the grocery store, we are down to our last roll of toilet paper so there is no way around it. There was a terrible accident yesterday on the highway so the traffic was backed up for hours and I thought the grocery store could wait. We basically have one main road with thousands of people on them in the summer. I'm convinced the only way to evacuate if we had a hurricane would be by boat, it's a pretty scary thought.

It's hot and sticky here so were having antipasto pasta salad for dinner.

I understand you perfectly. There comes a point when a parent just needs to let them make their own decisions and be there JIC. There are always a myriad of reasons people marry and I am willing to bet that at that age most are not necessarily the right ones. Wishing them good luck!
Thanks, for the well wishes. Sometimes it is hard to watch them make their own decisions but it is time.

I wish them both well. You might be surprised at how much growing up occurs once he joins the Army, at least on his part. Financially, it is much better for them to be married because your DSD will get a housing allotment while he is training. Plus, the health insurance is excellent.

Him growing up is the best thing about the whole sitiuation. I think the Army will definitely do him alot of good. He has not been a very responsible dad to date, hopefully now he will help financially support his son which hasn't happened to date. That is good news about the health care. Thanks for well wishes for them.

Ann- I turned 20 about 2 weeks after I got married. We'll be going on ten years in February, and boy have we grown up alot. The two of us have never had any problems, I don't want to immply that. My sister in law is 20, and I see her and sometimes think were we like that. My long winded point is, sometimes things do work out. Glad you got some shopping in this morning.

Robin, fingers crossed that things turn out for them to be as sweet and happy as you and your DH are. I hope they are one of the success stories in years to come and we look back and smile.

Ron is okay with it all, which I think surprised DSD (22). Part of growing up is making your own decisions, and dealing with the results. I just hope they are ready and doing it for the right reasons. Her fiance is enlisting in the Army, and they are planning on getting married by October before he would leave.
I hope it all works out for their son, but to date their relationship has been a rollercoaster. I don't mean to sound negative I just have my doubts that either one is ready to grow up so fast, and has an idea of what lies ahead.

You expressed it very well my friend. I'm keeping them in my prayers that it all works out.:hug:

Laura - I wish I had a better handle on the meal thing but sadly I don't. There are four boys in the apartment with one small freezer so pre-cooked stuff will have to be limited. I'm not having much luck with the other Moms involved, everyone seems to just be focused on getting the apartment ready.:guilty:

Well, we're back! It was an interesting trip. Leslie did want everything she tried on, but I held firm and limited her to 2 tops, 2 pairs of capris, 2 pair of jeans (that she and Mary will share), and a pair of black flats. That's really all she needs. She wanted every dress, every skirt, etc. The trouble is that things really look cute on her, and I would love to be able to buy her everything.

Tomorrow is Mary's turn, and that should be interesting, as well. It's always a chore to keep her out of the boy section. We'll see what kind of outfits she comes up with!

Stephanie - I always thought I'd be a crier when my kids left me for school, but it never happened. They were always so excited, and happy to be going, and I was always happy to have them happy. When the twins left, and I had the house to myself, I threw myself a party! I soaked in a bubble bath for hours without anyone asking "Mom, whatcha doin?" It was lovely! If you do cry, that's ok, there will be other mom's crying as well. If you don't cry, that's ok too!

Glynis, when did you start Timothy on cereal?

I am curious because DM thinks I should start Emma soon so she does better at night. I think it is to early. Just curious, anyone else who has opinions please share...thanks.

Nancy, we leave tomorrow. Maybe I'll see Maria on the beach!

Sheryl, I am glad that you were feeling well enough to swim. Swimming is some of the best exercise. Good for you and easy on the joints.

Ann, I do agree that the military seems to help people grow up. My brother was in for a while, and even though he did not last, he did become a lot more mature. Laura's Greg is really thriving in the miltary. He absolutely loves it. For some people, it can really be a great thing to join. (Not me! I am a wuss and would not make it out of basic training! I'd be running six miles in the OTHER direction! :laughing: )

I think it is going to be too hot to boil water for pasta fresca, so dinner is probably just going to be some salad.

I'll talk to you all again when I am back on Wednesday. Have a nice weekend, ladies!

Glynis, when did you start Timothy on cereal?

I am curious because DM thinks I should start Emma soon so she does better at night. I think it is to early. Just curious, anyone else who has opinions please share...thanks.

I didn't start him on cereal until he was 4 months old. That's what our doctor recommended, and that's what we've done with all our other children. Our pediatrician told us that they don't start pushing for babies to sleep through the night until they are at least 6 months old.

I think Lauren mentioned that she started T on a couple of teaspoons of cereal in his bottle at 2 months. Check with her on that, though.

When in doubt, check with your pediatrician!

Becky - Have a safe & fun trip!

Sheryl - I'm so happy you were able to swim, must have felt very good!:goodvibes

You expressed that very well. I've found being the parent of an adult, sometimes as difficult as dealing with a young child. It's HARD to let them make those decisions, even though you know they need to themselves. I'm praying & wishing the best for both of them!

Cute! Can you find out if any of Alexis's friends will be on the bus? Caili and Liam both love riding the bus because all their friends do. (We'll see how long that lasts...at some point, the bus is decidedly uncool.)

Nancy -- Wow, you have quite the wine production going! You'll have to start thinking about where to put your tasting room. ;)

I think we are just having sandwiches for dinner tonight. By the time I get Liam from camp, we will only have 40 minutes before we need to get in the car again to go to his game. Thanks for all the good luck!

You had to put Caili on the bus for kindergarten! That would have been really hard for me.

Thanks Laura, I hadn't even thought of checkin to see if any of friends might be on the same bus!

Good Luck to Liam & the team!

Well I'm a little late but I found our new home, it's just as lovely as the last one. Can't believe you guys are already ten pages in. I have read all the way back, but I hope you are all doing well.

Sheryl- Sometimes forgetting the camera works out for the best, your so focused on getting a good picture you sometimes don't get to enjoy what you are there for. Hope your feeling better everyday.

Robin, WELCOME HOME!:goodvibes

You are right about the camera! When I'm taking pictures I end up feeling like I missed out on everything.

I'm not even going to admit how young I was when we got married. :sad2:

Yes Ann, even when you're very young & really stupid things can work out!!

Nancy, we leave tomorrow. Maybe I'll see Maria on the beach!

Sheryl, I am glad that you were feeling well enough to swim. Swimming is some of the best exercise. Good for you and easy on the joints.

I'll talk to you all again when I am back on Wednesday. Have a nice weekend, ladies!

Thanks Becky, it did feel good! Have a wonderful time at the beach!

Becky - Have a safe & fun trip!

Sheryl - I'm so happy you were able to swim, must have felt very good!:goodvibes

Thanks girlfriend! Are you feeling better today? Still no chance of meeting us for lunch tomorrow?? :sad1:

I forgot to mention dinner. We went nearby for dinner last night. We're having leftovers, lamb & beef kabobs that we hardly touched due to the baba ganoush apptz. DH ordered.

Well now I don't know whether or not to remind you to put the shade up this evening or not! :confused3 I'm looking forward to tomorrow's lunch!:goodvibes

Yep, you've got it down!

Oh, the sun shade is still on the car from yesterday, which is good because the weather was SO NICE today! :goodvibes A bit warm, but beautiful!

That didn't take long, did it....:rotfl:

Bethany- I love what you said about our group, how it's dinner table conversation. I hope you know what I'm talking about but I really need to learn how to use the quote button. I think you summed it up perfectly.

Thanks....yes I know what you are talking about.

Hopefully this is clear:
To quote 1 post: hit the "quote" button on the bottom right of the post you want to quote. It will take you to the typical reply box, except that the text of the post you are quoting is already in the reply box. Make sure you keep the post information at the beginning and end that is in the [ ] part. You can delete information from the post that you aren't referring to (like I did with your post) as long as you keep the bracketed stuff.

To quote multiple posts: hit the "+" button on the bottom right of each post that you want to quote. The button will change color and turn to a "-". (If you change your mind about quoting it, hit that "-" button.) When you have the posts you want (side note: they will be in the reply box in order that you clicked on them), you need to hit the reply tab as you normally do. All the posts you have clicked + for will be in the text reply box. Again, you can remove sections you don't want to refer to from the quoted posts, just make sure you keep the post information inside the [ ]. To type your reply between quoted posts, just type between the "[/QUOTE]" that signifies the end of the first post and the "
" of the next post.

Robin - I'm so sorry, I totally missed your post, Welcome home my friend!:goodvibes

Sheryl - I'm feeling much better, thanks for asking! Unfortunately since I had to take off work yesterday, there's no way I can get out early tomorrow, but y'all have fun!!!!!

Hey...not had the chance to catch up.

Really need to hit my bed,Im exhausted.

DH and I are off work this week and are making the most of the time with the boy.

My sister has helped me out child care wise this summer hols so we are paying back this week....and 3 bairns is hard work !!

Swimming monday,indoor crazy fun hoose thingy yesterday and today Local farm/fun park.

We have loved every minute but at the end of each day my bed has never looked soooo goood !!! :love:

Not sure what tomorrow holds.

Hope youse are all well and hugs ower the water to those in need.

P.S My Footie team had an awesome result tonight too....GOOD TIMES !! :)

Kathy Sorry I missed that you were not feeling well. :hug:

Nancy I am going to make the frebreeze stuff. I use that stuff all the time.

Robin Glad you are back. We missed you.

Becky Have a great trip

Tonight is grilled smoked sausage and fruit. I am going to take a long hot shower. Dragging carpet out to the garbage is icky even if it was mine.

Sorry if I am missing anyone I need to clean up around here it looks awful. :eek:

Oh, the sun shade is still on the car from yesterday, which is good because the weather was SO NICE today! :goodvibes A bit warm, but beautiful!

That didn't take long, did it....:rotfl:

Good! I'll see you tomorrow!

Sheryl - I'm feeling much better, thanks for asking! Unfortunately since I had to take off work yesterday, there's no way I can get out early tomorrow, but y'all have fun!!!!!

I'm still sad you can't make it! :sad1:

Hey...not had the chance to catch up.

Really need to hit my bed,Im exhausted.

DH and I are off work this week and are making the most of the time with the boy.

My sister has helped me out child care wise this summer hols so we are paying back this week....and 3 bairns is hard work !!

Swimming monday,indoor crazy fun hoose thingy yesterday and today Local farm/fun park.

We have loved every minute but at the end of each day my bed has never looked soooo goood !!! :love:

Not sure what tomorrow holds.

Hope youse are all well and hugs ower the water to those in need.

P.S My Footie team had an awesome result tonight too....GOOD TIMES !! :)
Hang in there girl! Don't let those bairns wear you down! :goodvibes

Tonight is grilled smoked sausage and fruit. I am going to take a long hot shower. Dragging carpet out to the garbage is icky even if it was mine.

Sorry if I am missing anyone I need to clean up around here it looks awful. :eek:

Take your shower & have a nice glass of wine. You deserve it! :hug:

Yummy was my cheeseburger good. :cloud9:Might add a little bread crumbs next time, the hot sauce and cheese kind of seeped out during cooking. I let it sit on a papertowel before I put it on the bun and it firmed up and wasn't too "juicy".

Had it with some sauted zucchini. I swear I have eaten that two or three times a week this entire summer and my DM just bought some really big ones from a local market today.

Tomorrow night I am going to make a chicken stew with lots of differant veggies.

I'll try to read back and catch up later but I wanted to post that recipe Kat wanted.

Kat This is Kenny's absolute favorite of the make ahead french toasts. It is a little more labor intensive, especially the syrup, but it is well worth it.

Baked Blueberry French Toast
1 (12 oz) loaf of bread, crust removed, cut in cubes
1 (8oz) pkg. cream cheese, cubed
1 pint blueberries, rinsed and drained
1 tablespoon sugar
4 eggs
2 cups milk
1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar, sifted

Place half of bread in prepared 9 x 13 inch baking pan. Top with cream cheese. Place blueberries over cream cheese. Sprinkle sugar on top of blueberries. Top with remaining bread cubes.

Combine eggs, milk and cinnamon in small bowl, mixing well. Pour over bread. Cover and let sit overnight in refrigerator.

Bake at 375 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until puffed and set. Sprinkle with confectioners’ sugar and serve with Blueberry Syrup.

Blueberry Syrup
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1 cup water
2 cups blueberries, washed and drained
2 tablespoons butter

Heat sugar, cornstarch and water in small saucepan over medium high heat, stirring occasionally. Cook 5 minutes or until thickened.

Stir in blueberries gently, simmering 10 minutes or until berries have burse. Add butter, stirring gently.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter