The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Thanks for all the well wishes for Kyle, y'all are the greatest!:grouphug:

Lauren - I can't believe Thomas cut his first tooth already! I remember with Kyle, they all came at once, I believe he had 8 by the time he was 8 months old!

Glynis - Have a safe trip! I'm so happy your Dad has something he is passionate about.:goodvibes

Steph - Car pools at that age take a little while to work out. It's all so new to the little ones.:hug:

Ellen - I cannot cook for 2. I'm also freezing stuff for Kyle. Will Matthew be coming home every weekend?

I am not sure how Liam is feeling today, but he must have gotten his new computer because I got my first ever email from him this morning. It is so cute!

hi auntiebecky,
Me and Caili love wii sports resort. The island flyover and swordplay the most .Be sure to tell unclejohn that he got the best game in the history of wii.
love you,
Liam

Come on, how cute is that?? :love:

OK, maybe I am biased. :laughing:

Have a good day, everyone!

That is just too stinking cute!!!!!:goodvibes

Ellen - I cannot cook for 2. I'm also freezing stuff for Kyle. Will Matthew be coming home every weekend?

Yes he will. Well, at least he will not be at school, whether he is home or not will be decided later. ;) UN of Ne at Curtis is a satellite school of the University and is in a small town. They don't even have a McDonalds. So every weekend he comes home or goes to Lincoln, or Kearney. ect. :rotfl2: Oh the life of a college student.:woohoo:

Becky ~ I have to agree that is just the cutest!! Your are a special Aunt so you can be biased all you want. ;)

IAnd goin by the laughs and fun they had and big hugs and kisses I got at bed time :love: it was the best $20 I've ever spent !!

I love those spontaneous parties.

I thought I quoted more but I am so tired. I hate this week!

Hang in there. It's almost over.

Seared Scallops with Warm Tuscan Beans.

Wow! That looks so delicious! Would you mind typing in the recipe? I can get it from Beck if it's too complicated.

I think we may have to make it a regular event! It wears them down :thumbsup2

Always a good thing!

School is still going well. They rolled out the red carpet and had a LIVE brass band yesterday for the first day of kindergarten.
Wow, I am impressed! I hope the kids were too.

To say he is a longshot to make the team is an understatement, but at least he's giving it his best shot.

I am sure he will do his best. I wish him lots of luck! Good luck to him on the job search as well. And YAY on the house sale being so close!

Thomas cut his first tooth yesterday!

He is getting so big already!

I hope that his allergies are gone. Kady was fine living with them but is on :cloud9: now that they are gone. I want that for Liam as well!

Laura, I know that La Nina is supposed to give us a warmer winter and fewer storms but I keep wondering if we are going to pay the price of this nasty summer with an icy winter.

Thanks, Nancy. He was making a list of things he wants to eat on the way home yesterday. Tops on the list is a jelly doughnut.

I don't have a good feeling about the winter. I hope we are all wrong!

I just ordered the kiddo's winter jacket from LLBean

My dad has a PT job there, so the kids will be getting coats from there this year as well.

We are leaving for my dad's house as soon as Alan gets home from work tonight.

Safe travels! That is so exciting about your dad's play. I hope it goes well and the audience loves it!

What is it with kids? They don't forget anything, except to clean rooms, brush hair/teeth, etc.......
:laughing:

But I am trying to package all of the leftovers to send back to school with Matthew on the weekend.

I am sure he will appreciate them if Doug does not!

Janice -- Did Alex make the bus this morning?

Liam is sick again today. He woke up fine, but by 10 his fever was creeping back, he had a headache, and now he has developed a sore throat. We are heading to the doctor's office shortly. He doesn't seem sick enough to have strep (as you can see from Beck's post, he has spent the morning emailing everyone in the family, including me several times!) but we'll see.

Dinner will depend on what time we get back and what Liam is in the mood to eat. He has not wanted to eat anything except a popsicle since breakfast.

Morning all! Well the first day of carpool didn't go as planned. Par for the course, I suppose. I went to pick up the 2 boys, 1 of which is in emma's class. Well, the one boy in Emma's class threw a fit and wouldn't get in my car. His mom was all out wrestling with him and couldn't get him in. So, she ended up taking the kids this morning. I felt so bad for her b/c she was not at all prepared to schlep the kids to school. I'll try again tomorrow.

Hopefully tomorrow is a better day for that poor mom.

We are leaving for my dad's house as soon as Alan gets home from work tonight. Between 7:30 and 8:00 tonight. It will mean a late night of traveling, but hopefully, the kids will sleep some of the way. Tomorrow morning, the theater company is performing a "reading" of a play that my dad has written, called "Nell Gwynn". He's so excited. He's been working on it for years, and this year they are testing it in front of an audience. I am so happy he's found something to help him with the loneliness he's felt since mom died.

Enjoy your trip! Best wishes to your Dad and his new play!

Wow, getting back into the hang of just cooking for two is tough. But I am trying to package all of the leftovers to send back to school with Matthew on the weekend. Because we all know Doug DOESN'T DO leftovers. Heaven forbid!! :confused3

We are getting the best and most huge tomatoes out of the garden. One slice will cover the whole piece of bread. So with that being said. . .

First tomatoes :cloud9::cloud9: My garden is not producing anything pretty this year:sad2:

I cannot get the cooking for two thing either. Thank goodness Buddy will manage to eat leftovers if he can somehow stuff them into two slices of bread ;)

I am not sure how Liam is feeling today, but he must have gotten his new computer because I got my first ever email from him this morning. It is so cute!

hi auntiebecky,
Me and Caili love wii sports resort. The island flyover and swordplay the most .Be sure to tell unclejohn that he got the best game in the history of wii.
love you,
Liam

Not biased at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! It is clear that you are one favorite Auntie!

Have you shared your recipe for chicken milanese? That dish looked so good!

Thanks, Nancy. He was making a list of things he wants to eat on the way home yesterday. Tops on the list is a jelly doughnut.

Liam is sick again today. He woke up fine, but by 10 his fever was creeping back, he had a headache, and now he has developed a sore throat. We are heading to the doctor's office shortly. He doesn't seem sick enough to have strep (as you can see from Beck's post, he has spent the morning emailing everyone in the family, including me several times!) but we'll see.

Dinner will depend on what time we get back and what Liam is in the mood to eat. He has not wanted to eat anything except a popsicle since breakfast.

Poor kid :sick: I hope the he gets over this quickly!

I love that jelly doughnut. That was actually Kady's first treat. Marisa took her to Dunkin Donuts after she told her the test results. He Pa did the same thing...........over and over and over...............

Now the poor kid is limited to one snack a day and must drink her water..............no matter what her Pa says she can have.

Prep Time: 10 min
Cook Time: 30 min
10 to 12 muffins

Ingredients
1 cup unprocessed wheat bran
1 cup buttermilk (shaken)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
2 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
6 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup raisins
1 cup large-diced bananas
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place paper liners into 1 (10 or 12-cup) muffin tin.

Combine the bran and buttermilk and set aside. Cream the butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment for about 5 minutes, until light and fluffy. With the mixer on low, add the eggs, 1 at a time. Scrape the bowl and then add the molasses, orange zest, and vanilla. (The mixture will look curdled.) Add the bran/buttermilk mixture and combine.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. With the mixer on low speed, slowly add the flour mixture to the batter just until combined. Don't overmix it! Fold in the raisins, bananas and walnuts with a rubber spatula.

With an ice cream scoop or large spoon, fill the muffin cups to the top and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean

--------------------------------------------------

I have been craving bran muffins. I was discussing them last week with DM. I just saw Ina make these and thought I would share the recipe. They looked good. They got four stars from reviewers. I need to buy the ingrediants then I am going to make them.

Ellen, as requested beer can chicken. This is how I do it.

Take whole chicken and rub with either butter or EVOO. Season with spices of your choice. (Pepper, Paprika, Onion powder, garlic powder, and celery salt) These are generally what I use. Open a can of beer or soda depending on what you have in the house. Place chicken cavity over the can of beer, standing upright. Place in a pan standing upright, and bake 45-60 minutes at 375 depending on the size of the chicken. If you have fresh herbs place a few sprigs in the can of beer for extra flavor..

Chicken comes out very moist. Hope these directions were clear enough.

We are back from the doctor's, and the quick strep test came back negative, so they're calling Liam's bug a virus. They'll call tomorrow if anything develops in the strep culture.

Liam's throat is too sore for regular food, so he just wants cereal for dinner. I think Caili and I will have fish.

Laura, I want to live with you and Becky. You girls love seafood. I would be so happy, adopt me???:lmao:

Laura- Liam must be so excited to spend the last few days of his summer vacation sick. Poor kid, hope he's feeling better. You know when little/big boys don't want to eat they really are sick.

Ann- I didn't mean to cost you that much! I had a $10 coupon and free shipping w/ their credit card so I only spent $20. I used the daily markdown section to do most of my Christmas shopping last year. We always got my little Em's snowsuits there when she was little.

Becky- Your one lucky "auntie." You can't read things like that and not smile. Those are the memories you tuck in the back of your head when you need a little pick me up.

Ellen- the day my husband decides he doesn't do leftovers is the last time he has my cooking! Of course at the rate he eats we hardly ever have them, I'd like to pack them up for my lunches. Matthew will be happy.

Stephanie- I hope the carpooling gets better soon.

Off to do some housework, enjoy the rest of the day.

Ann- I didn't mean to cost you that much! I had a $10 coupon and free shipping w/ their credit card so I only spent $20. I used the daily markdown section to do most of my Christmas shopping last year. We always got my little Em's snowsuits there when she was little.

Actually you saved DM alot of money. My parents have bought the wintercoats each year for the kids. Last year she paid full price at LL Bean. When I told her the deals I got, she said to put them away for Luke's birthday and she will write me a check. Have I mentioned how lucky I am, my parents are great to my kids.

School is still going well. They rolled out the red carpet and had a LIVE brass band yesterday for the first day of kindergarten.

How cool! Just check in when you can :goodvibes

It looks like the sale of M&D's house is going to happen, we close in one week!:yay:

:cool1:

Kyle's interview was just "OK". He said they had 50 applicants for one position and it was pretty clear to him they were looking for someone with some "office" experience which he doesn't have. He will probably join the masses applying all over the Baton Rouge area.

Darn.

We are leaving for my dad's house as soon as Alan gets home from work tonight. Between 7:30 and 8:00 tonight. It will mean a late night of traveling, but hopefully, the kids will sleep some of the way. Tomorrow morning, the theater company is performing a "reading" of a play that my dad has written, called "Nell Gwynn". He's so excited. He's been working on it for years, and this year they are testing it in front of an audience. I am so happy he's found something to help him with the loneliness he's felt since mom died.

Oh, that sounds like so much fun!! I'm glad your dad was able to pour himself into something :goodvibes

hi auntiebecky,
love you,
Liam

Cute!!!

Darn. I hope the virus runs it's course quickly!

I spent most of my day out of town for my peer learning group - I really look forward to those 3 hours of conversation once a month! DH is going to play basketball tonight and I was going to cook something but I have leftover Chipotle so I might as well just eat that.

We are back from the doctor's, and the quick strep test came back negative, so they're calling Liam's bug a virus. They'll call tomorrow if anything develops in the strep culture.

Liam's throat is too sore for regular food, so he just wants cereal for dinner. I think Caili and I will have fish.

Glad it's not strep, hoping the little guy is feeling better.:hug:

Laura, I want to live with you and Becky. You girls love seafood. I would be so happy, adopt me???:lmao:

Getting in line with you girlfriend, I LOVES me some seafood and I'd LOVE to live with the liam ladies!

F&W update...........

I booked a couple of wine/culinary demos today and posted them in the itinerary in the OP.

Sheryl - I still have your original F&W plans in the itinerary, could you please pm me an updated list for our itinerary?

We are boring people tonight just leftover from last night for Alex and Meatball sandwich for me. I will be so tired after all this cooking.:rotfl2:

For some reason Minnie just pushed her food dish into the kitchen to eat :confused3. I think something is wrong with that dog she is doing the most strange things lately. First eating tomatoes now bringing her food dish into another room :confused3

Laura I hope Liam doesn't have strep, but at the same time he might start to feel better sooner with med's.:hug:

Kathy I will be doing the happy dance for you next week keep us updated on the house.:hug:pixiedust: Sorry it doesn't look good for the job with no pay for Kyle

Nancy Any new on the job for Debbie?

Hi All!

Janice- Debbie has not heard anything. She does not think that she will get the job, there were several people who had way more experience than she does. I hope that they look at the two years that she has been working there an that she can just step in. Chris is in Hyannis while the President is in Martha's VInyard so she is going to see him tomorrow night.

Off to the movies, i'll chat later!

:laughing: I know you would have like what I had tonight. I got fried clams from my favorite fish place. :thumbsup2

Laura- Liam must be so excited to spend the last few days of his summer vacation sick.

I guess it is lucky that they start so late, so he still has another week. It would really stink if they were going back Tuesday. I don't usually have leftovers when Greg is around either.

I was going to cook something but I have leftover Chipotle so I might as well just eat that.

Yeah, I was thinking I would cook something, but then I just decided that takeout seafood was better.

Getting in line with you girlfriend, I LOVES me some seafood and I'd LOVE to live with the liam ladies!
:laughing:

For some reason Minnie just pushed her food dish into the kitchen to eat :confused3. I think something is wrong with that dog she is doing the most strange things lately.

I hope she is just amusing you and there isn't something wrong.

Chris is in Hyannis while the President is in Martha's VInyard so she is going to see him tomorrow night.

Very cool!

Thanks all for the well-wishes for Liam. I am hoping it isn't strep because I know Caili and I would be doomed with all the sneezing he has been doing lately (not to mention the puking in the car Tuesday!)

Dinner was fried clams for me, fish and chips for Caili and two bowls of cereal for Liam.

Thomas cut his first tooth yesterday! My baby is growing too fast!.

Vickie, Remind me to stay away from you if you are driving in WDW! ;) Happy Belated Birthday to the Boy!!! He is gonna love his Xbox...i hate to say this, but we are a 2 xbox household. Tom loves it just as much as Andrew and they play together at times.

Do you think he was happy....? :rotfl2:

majxq0.jpg

2 xboxs...:eek:
DH has been playin FiFA 09 (soccer game ) with The Boy,the shoutin, arguing and finger pointin at missed goals is just so funny....up to a point.:headache:

I actually threatened to confiscate DH's controller he was gettin so animated !! :laughing:

He will probably join the masses applying all over the Baton Rouge area.

Im sure he will get something.

Just tell him to flash a smile...:)

I am so happy he's found something to help him with the loneliness he's felt since mom died.

That is wonderful for your Dad.Im so glad he has a passion to drive him on.

hi auntiebecky,
love you,
Liam

Ahhhh...what a wee scone !!

And Im lovin his good review for wii sports resort,we have been lookin to buy it !! :thumbsup2

The Boy started back at school this week and is lovin it.

I dont know if I told youse but he has moved into a brand new built school...not before time,his old school was a disgrace.

The parents got to take a look around on tuesday and it is really awesome.

Bright fresh rooms,Smart boards,new computers in every class,great sports hall and cool big play grounds.

So that together with the fact his new teacher is young and very cute ( first wee crush me thinks ;) ) has made for a happy wee boy !!

Ive got a scary day tomorrow....DENTIST !! :scared1:

Keep me in your thoughts lassies...

I kept telling everyone to eat cereal, lots and lots of cereal! :rotfl: I had gotten 4 boxes of 30 of the little individual boxes thinking they would probably only last through yesterday. I still have about 60 of them. :headache:

That's too cute.

It looks like the sale of M&D's house is going to happen, we close in one week!:yay:

That's great. :yay:

hi auntiebecky,
love you,
Liam

That is cute.

Hang in there. It's almost over.

Liam is sick again today.

It is! :woohoo: Today was the last day of training. Now I just have to get through Monday, that is the day we re-open registration AND the day school starts. :headache: It will be an absolutely crazy day but I am hoping that due to the fact that a lot of our programs are up in registration amounts that it means everyone got it done early and it won't be too bad.

Sorry to hear he is still not feeling well.

Do you think he was happy....? :rotfl2:

:laughing: Hmm, I'm not sure how he feels about it? :laughing:

Dinner tonight was yummy! I decided the Chipotle leftovers didn't sound appealing and I needed CARBS and CHEESE! This was really easy, though I wish I had a toaster oven so I didn't have to warm up the oven.

Mac and Cheese Spaghetti (from latest Better Homes and Gardens)

1.5 cups coarse bread crumbs
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1 tbsp butter, melted
14-16 oz spaghetti, multi grain wheat whatever
10 oz frozen peas or 2 cup fresh broccoli florets (I bought 10 oz chopped frozen broccoli - I can't eat that fresh of broccoli and I hate peas!)
2 tbsp butter, melted
1 tsp dijon mustard
8 oz finely shredded sharp cheddar
4 oz finely shredded American cheese (I used mild cheddar instead)
Shredded thin prosciutto or cooked ham (optional)

1. Heat oven to 425. Mix together crumbs, parmesan, and 1 tablespoon butter in baking pan. Bake 5 minutes, stir and set aside.

2. Meanwhile in dutch oven, cook spaghetti with 1 tablespoon salt added to water. In last 3 minutes of cooking, throw in peas or broccoli. Reserve 2 cups of pasta water before draining.

3. Return 1 cup of pasta water to dutch oven and bring to boil. Add 2 tablespoons butter and dijon mustard. Add cheeses, a bit at a time, stirring as it melts. Add more pasta water if needed. Add spaghetti mixture to dutch oven and toss. Sprinkle bread mixture on top of each serving (and meat, if added).

Yummy cheesy goodness!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter