The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Now to read while the baby is sleeping in my arms.
:cloud9:

Nancy~PTL!! I am so glad Marisa got along ok and that is over. How did Buddy do? Now go pour a glass of wine and take it easy. You so deserve it.
The test went fine. He said that the Dr should have the results in the next day or two. He wants the Dr to find something that can be fixed, he said the pain is not as bad but is moving into his left shoulder. He fells like some kind of hypochondriac because there is nothing obviously wrong.

I am finally home. I need a vacation from my trips. This trip was... not great.
My granddaddy went back in the hospital Sun but last I heard, was going home today. He had a mild heart attack but is doing okay.

In other news, my DH was offered a position we had to turn down for various reasons and my dad was offered a position he could take! :banana:

Wow! you cannot catch a break :hug: Sending prayers to your family and lots of :woohoo: that your Dad got a position he wants.

I wish we were doing a restaurant. I probably wont see any of my family that day :sad1:. It is just going to be us, DSD and her hubby, DGS, and maybe DSS if he isnt working. Fussy non vegatable eaters are not fun to cook for. But it is DH's birthday that day and he doesnt want a cake. I told him he had to for DS. I just hate being in the kitchen all day by myself cooking and cleaning. DSD's hubby is no fun to socialize with at all. I am glad DH will be surrounded by his kids for his bday.:goodvibes

How about a birthday pie? Not traditional but still a celebration :goodvibes

Cooking for people who will not eat your food is :headache:!!!!!!!!

I am so tired. I get to have the special parking by the front door the rest of the week. :thumbsup2

You have to tell us why??????? :goodvibes:goodvibes:goodvibes

Which brings me to the best news! Dad called last night and told us he wants to buy us a dishwasher for Christmas!!! I'm so excited!!! I've never had one that was new before! So, I'm shopping around for brands, etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

What a great Dad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never had a dishwasher until we renovated the house and then all of a sudden I just had to have one, If it broke I would trot right back and buy another, I have learned that I don't want to live without one!

I love my GE profile. I got one that middle of the road, not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive. I figured that if I did not know what a function meant I did not need it ;)

Then A came in & ate all of the bacon that was supposed to top the casserole! :lovestruc I couldn't help letting her eat it, I mean when you come home from school hungry & the house smells like bacon. :confused3:laughing::laughing:

I bet you loved watching her munch away :cutie: Hungry kids and feeding them after school are the best!

This is what I get for whining about Greg's man cold.....he gets better & I end up with the virus from he**.

I called Nancy's cell but keep loosing the connection. If I hear back from her I will be sure to let you al know.
I don't fly home until 6am Thanksgiving morning.......I will make the cranberries & the rest when I get home that morning.

Hope everyone is recovering.....:sick::hug:

I will try to call later today, I am so sorry I kept missing you. My phone would ring, stop and not show up any missed call :confused3 Then I ended up with all those VMM messages that never showed :confused3

Maria- when do you fly out? I am so glad that you will be better so that you can be there for the new baby and Mommy :wizard:

not doing so good. fell off a rolling chair earlier right on my arm that has been bothering me and in pain. then my washer is locked with wet clothes and cant get it open.

How are you today? That fall must have knoxcked your sox off!

DH heard from company has interview in am...prayers please!

Emma is well... 4 shots...16lb ...24 inches and thriving. .

Prayers and best wishes for your DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear Emma is doing well.

Marisa is sleeping so I think that is a good sign!

BBL!

Maria, :hug: thinking of you this morning. I was sad to read your phonecall was not good news. Call me anytime.

As far as Thanksgiving menu I really have not put it all together yet.

Turkey
Sausage stuffing
Homemade Gravy
Rolls
Corn
Cranberry

These boring things are about all my company will eat! :headache:

Traditional things I like but no one else will eat are...candied sweet potatoes, stringbean casserole, butternut squash, etc. But I do not feel like making all the extra work for just me.

As far as desserts we all like diff things and once again I hate to make six diff things and just one piece gets eaten out of each. I love cheesecake, DH enjoys chocolate, and DSD pumpkin pie. Just so darn frustrated over the whole thing. DH just doesn't understand why it aggrevates me.

I wish we were doing a restaurant. I probably wont see any of my family that day :sad1:. It is just going to be us, DSD and her hubby, DGS, and maybe DSS if he isnt working. Fussy non vegatable eaters are not fun to cook for. But it is DH's birthday that day and he doesnt want a cake. I told him he had to for DS. I just hate being in the kitchen all day by myself cooking and cleaning. DSD's hubby is no fun to socialize with at all. I am glad DH will be surrounded by his kids for his bday.:goodvibes

:hug:

Bethany, thank you so much. After the phone call we just had about an adoption I truly need a hug.

I'm so sorry.:hug:

WFD - Lime/chipotle grilled pork chops, rice pilaf and green beans.

Quick good morning. I am feeling better...I guess I should take another naproxen soon so I don't feel bad again but in comparison to the surgery Marisa had, I should not be complaining.

I hope she is feeling OK today...glad she is sleeping. I hope they find something for Buddy so he can get some relief.

Maria, :hug: Please call me if you need to talk. I will say a prayer.

Ann, Prayers for Ron's interview. Are you going to start Emma on food now or are you going to wait? I know some wait till 6 months now. I am glad that Ron will be with his kids on Thanksgiving...maybe your family will stop by? Do you use a recipe for your stuffing? I have one that I would like to tweak and maybe freeze but it has eggs in it...maybe if I cook it first it will be freezable.

OK, back to cleaning the fridge. I am hoping to go to the store and get the turkey and a few other things today. I think I will make my roasted turkey broth for my make ahead gravy and freeze it.

Dinner will be another request from A...sausage shells and peas.

BBL to catch up more. Have a great day!

Good morning. Well, we got the playroom painted last night. Now, to just get it all put back together today. I've got toys and books scattered all over the place! DH will finish painting the bathroom tonight, and then all he has left to do are the ceilings which will be white. Boring, I know, but it makes the rooms look taller. We'll take pictures once it's all done!

I got one fridge all cleaned out, so today's job is the second fridge. It shouldn't be too difficult, since it's pretty empty already. I just need to wash it out and get it ready for all the food coming our way in the next little while.

Alan surprised me yesterday, by hiring a service to come in and deep clean our house. They will be here Friday and I'm a little nervous, but kind of excited about it, too. We've never done anything like this, but we're all feeling so overwhelmed with work and school, that we decided a little help is worth the money.

On today's jaunt to the store, I'll finish picking up the non-perishable items for Thanksgiving, and I'll finalize the pies for pie night, and make sure I have everything I need for those. I'll do all the perishable shopping on Monday, plus start baking the pies. We actually have 2 pie nights this year; one on Tuesday, and one on Wednesday, so I need to get a head start on the pies. Dad arrives Wednesday morning, so that will be fun! He wants to go shopping for dishwashers then, so I need to have all the pies done (or at least most of them) by then.

Not sure what's for dinner. Something fast and easy. I'll BBL as soon as I've figured it out.

Now, me, I'd would of had the ice cream for dinner!!

I did consider this, but I thought I might be dealing with little monsters by morning.

Maria -- :hug: I hope you feel well enough to fly on Friday.

I'm sorry, but if you haven't played with something in the 8 years we've been in this house, OUT IT GOES!!!
:laughing: Yes, but then it's like a new toy they've discovered. I'm so glad your dad is getting you a new dishwasher and Alan got you some help with the cleaning. I can't believe Thanksgiving is next week.

I am off to go clean out Doug's pickup. Wish me luck!!

Ugh...why do you get that job?

Since I'm not cooking for Thanksgiving I'd love to enjoy the planning of a nice big dinner with the rest of you. Please share your Thanksgiving menus with me!!!!!!:flower3:

Kathy, I'm glad you're starting to feel better. Our menu is always subject to change, but I think this is the current one:

Two roast turkeys with stuffing
Mom's gravy
Cranberry sauce
Mashed Potatoes
Mashed turnips with fried shallots
Roasted root vegetables
Acorn squash wedges
Green beans
Cauliflower Gratin
Apple Pie
Pumpkin Cheesecake

Lauren -- How are you feeling this morning?

Nancy -- I'm glad Marisa is doing well. I hope Buddy gets some answers and a treatment plan.

Ann -- I'm glad Emma is doing so well. I hope you did okay with the shots. I always cried, especially when Caili would look at me like, "Mom, why are you letting them do this to me??" Good luck to Ron today!!

Aimee -- Please take care of yourself. I hope you get a chance to rest after the past few days. I'm glad your granddad is okay, and that is great news about your dad finding a job. I'm sorry the one offered your DH was not the right fit. I hope a better offer comes along soon.

Then A came in & ate all of the bacon that was supposed to top the casserole! :lovestruc I couldn't help letting her eat it, I mean when you come home from school hungry & the house smells like bacon. :confused3:laughing::laughing:
:laughing: I couldn't be mad about that either.

Today is gymnastics, so the kids will probably just want cereal and waffles. I have to think about something for me. After pizza and takeout sandwiches yesterday, I don't think my stomach can handle more junk.

Just a heads up ladies, our thread is quickly approaching the end. I'll be setting us up in a new home soon!:goodvibes

A link to our Thanksgiving menu:

http://www.sonesta.com/Corporate/index.cfm?fa=mediaPress.detail&gid=9703&sid=9

Kat, that menu looks incredible! Want visitors next year?

The heck with next year...that could be reason enough for a road trip!!!!
Nothing like that around here...amazing menu!

Ann, Prayers for Ron's interview. Are you going to start Emma on food now or are you going to wait? I know some wait till 6 months now. I am glad that Ron will be with his kids on Thanksgiving...maybe your family will stop by? Do you use a recipe for your stuffing? I have one that I would like to tweak and maybe freeze but it has eggs in it...maybe if I cook it first it will be freezable.

My DM always made it and froze it...then at Thanksgiving she would send it to each of our houses that requested some. I made it myself last year for the first time. I have to pick DM's brain again and write it down this year. This is now the only one DSS and DH want. I know it is a roll of sausage browned, onion, celery, chicken stock and two diff size bags of stuffing mix cube and crumb.

-----------

DH had interview. It went well. Man told him their HR can move at a snails pace for first contact 2-3wks. He said once they send him for the drug test it will move quickly. He sounds positive. It wasn't advertised a guy he worked with before referred him. Prayers still please, hate to get false hope but it sounds like it could work out. They have Blue Cross which is so much better than our current crappy plan. But it would mean 3 more months of Cobra :headache:.

Good morning everyone!

Ann- Glad things went well with Ron, I was wondering if that would mean going back on Cobra.

Lauren- Glad your feeling better this morning. I don't see why you couldn't freeze the stuffing. If your putting sausage in it you could at least brown that up now and freeze that. Then you don't have to deal with a sausage pan to wash on thanksgiving. Whenever I'm browning sausage or bacon I always make more to freeze, though the bacon doesn't always make it!

Kathy- I think going out for Thanksgiving sounds really nice, I think you'll have a great time.

Nancy- Glad Marisa is able to sleep, hope today isn't to bad for her.

Glynis- Sounds like you all are getting alot done, I get so much more done under pressure and a time limit.

Well I thought I had more to say but I guess that's enough for now. Leftover steak and meatloaf for dinner, just need to find a starch and veggie.

After the phone call we just had about an adoption I truly need a hug.

Prayers to you my friend. It just HAS to get better for you and Greg!

I get to have the special parking by the front door the rest of the week. :thumbsup2

Congratulations to you!

Well, I absolutely have to make pecan. It's the most requested pie! So that for sure. I'm also planning on a black bottom banana cream pie, derby pie, caramel apple pie, white chocolate peppermint pie, and possibly french coconut pie.

Still up in the air. I have until next week to decide, though. I'm open to suggestions!

I am sending Doug to your house. My husband LOVES pie and I am the world's worst pie maker. I am finally ok with it because I do other things pretty good. Just NOT pies. That is an impressive list of pies. :woohoo: on the new dishwasher - aren't parents the best. I really miss mine. They both have been gone almost 5 years. They passed just 6 months apart. Enjoy your Daddy!!

"Fake Grandmas" are the BEST!! I can't ever say no either. :cloud9:

Just a heads up ladies, our thread is quickly approaching the end. I'll be setting us up in a new home soon!:goodvibes

A link to our Thanksgiving menu:

http://www.sonesta.com/Corporate/index.cfm?fa=mediaPress.detail&gid=9703&sid=9

Thanks for taking care of us Kat. I don't know what we would do without you. Your Thanksgiving buffet looks wonderful.

:flower3: hi Robin and Lori

Lauren ~ I hope you are feeling better today.

Nancy ~ I so hope today is pain free for Marisa. Buddy has to be frustrated. There is nothing worse than not feeling well and not knowing why. Prayers to both of them.

Ann ~ I hope the job is a perfect fit for Ron. My heart is just breaking for you about Thanksgiving. This should be a time for thanks and family and I just feel that that is not what you will be getting. I am so sorry. :hug:

Aimee ~ I feel your drama. We are right in the middle of Church conference and BIG changes in the staff. So I do understand. There are just some things that you would never believe happen in a church.
Prayers for the men in your life!!

Well tonight is church night and I am working till after Choir practice at 8:30 tonight. I have so much to do before I leave on vacation next week. We will grab a bite to eat between practices. Afterall it is still date night. :lmao:

I will try to BBL!!

Morning y'all,

I was up & out of the house early for church with A this morning. I didn't want to be, my neck & back are hurting, but I did it! Now I need to get that spinach-artichoke casserole done before going to hand therapy.

Nancy, I hope Marissa is doing well this morning.:wizard: I'm thinking of her & prayed & praying for her!:flower3: I hope Buddy gets some GOOD answers from the test! I understand dealing with pain that migrates all over. Prayers for both of you. :hug:

Maria, I'm so sorry, I missed your comment about the adoption phone call.:hug: I'm praying about that & that you feel good enough to fly on Friday. :flower3:

Glynis, I bought a Maytag about 3 years ago & it hasn't been working well for at least a year. Now the handle that pops open the door isn't working, I have to really pull to get it open!:mad:

Why is it, that I'd happily hide in Kathy's big purse & lay under the Liam Sisters table for Thanksgiving?!! Everthing sounds better than the boring food we're having!!

I think I posted our menu already but here's what we are having so far:

"Good" Cheese tray- Chris is in charge of this, that way I can count on good, real cheese! :goodvibes She'll get all the fancy cheese & then also do a couple of cream cheeses topped with different kinds of jelly

Mom's turkey & corn bread-sausage dressing ( I hope she does as well as last year! She didn't dry it to a crisp. ;))

My Brother & SIL's Seafood Gumbo ( yes it takes both of them, SIL makes the roux & puts it all together & then my brother adds more seafood & spices it up! :lmao:)

My pot roast & gravy
My Spinach & Artichoke Casserole
Peas
Candied Sweet Potatoes with marshmellow topping- DD

Cranberry Sauce- I will make a real one & then my Mom will bring the yucky jellied canned one & everyon but Bob & I will eat the darned jelly! :upsidedow
Rice of course we wouldn't be in Nawlins without rice :laughing:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with bacon ( if I find them fresh)

I think I'm going to do a chocolate pecan pie & my Aunt will also bring desserts.

Lots of Wine! So far I've bought a Spanish Cava, Chardonnay & some good Cabernet & a Rose is being shipped now from Bob's friends winery in Napa! :cool1:

Everyone is requesting the chocolate fountain, but I'm fighting it right now. It's such a mess & a pain to clean.

Ann ~ I hope the job is a perfect fit for Ron. My heart is just breaking for you about Thanksgiving. This should be a time for thanks and family and I just feel that that is not what you will be getting. I am so sorry. :hug:

You are sweet. Just having some blues like a few other DFs on here. To much history to go into. Briefly, over the past several years my oldest DB and SIL have hurt my feelings on several diff occasions. Due to this, my once close relationship with them has suffered and will never be the same. Every Thanksgiving my whole family gets together at night for dessert at their house. Something took place at Emma's Christening that has pushed me to the point of not going there for the holiday. I am torn up inside because it hurts beyond belief and I am having a hard time accepting things, I hate not seeing my parents and other siblings, but on the other hand I always do for everyone else and end up in tears after I leave a function. It really is bothering me that DS will not get to be around the rest of the kids. But now he is old enough to tell when I am upset and it hurts him too. Unfortunately, lately me being so upset has upset my parents (which I can not take) so I think it is best I pass this holiday... just to many post partum emotions running wild I guess. Somedays I really wish I had a sister, having six brothers was wonderful but I miss that sisterly bond.

Morning y'all,

Why is it, that I'd happily hide in Kathy's big purse & lay under the Liam Sisters table for Thanksgiving?!! Everthing sounds better than the boring food we're having!!

I think I posted our menu already but here's what we are having so far:

"Good" Cheese tray- Chris is in charge of this, that way I can count on good, real cheese! :goodvibes She'll get all the fancy cheese & then also do a couple of cream cheeses topped with different kinds of jelly

Mom's turkey & corn bread-sausage dressing ( I hope she does as well as last year! She didn't dry it to a crisp. ;))

My Brother & SIL's Seafood Gumbo ( yes it takes both of them, SIL makes the roux & puts it all together & then my brother adds more seafood & spices it up! :lmao:)

My pot roast & gravy
My Spinach & Artichoke Casserole
Peas
Candied Sweet Potatoes with marshmellow topping- DD

Cranberry Sauce- I will make a real one & then my Mom will bring the yucky jellied canned one & everyon but Bob & I will eat the darned jelly! :upsidedow
Rice of course we wouldn't be in Nawlins without rice :laughing:

Roasted Brussel Sprouts with bacon ( if I find them fresh)

I think I'm going to do a chocolate pecan pie & my Aunt will also bring desserts.

Lots of Wine! So far I've bought a Spanish Cava, Chardonnay & some good Cabernet & a Rose is being shipped now from Bob's friends winery in Napa! :cool1:

Everyone is requesting the chocolate fountain, but I'm fighting it right now. It's such a mess & a pain to clean.

I could get you ziplocks and a big purse too.;)

Just sayin'

:rotfl2:

Hi Everyone Wfd-leftovers trying to clean out the fridge. Plus I think I'm getting what my husband and son had.

Kathy- That menu sounds awesome maybe we should all go down to see Kathy this year?

Lauren-hope you keep feeling well after your fall.

Glynis-Wish someone would come clean my house I'm envious.

Bethany- Lucky you getting to park right by the door:thumbsup2

Nancy- Prayers to everyone in your family that they all recoop quickly

Lori- I like your idea about sending Kathy ziplocks and a big purse I needed a good laugh thanks.

Ann- Prayers for Ron and the job

Maria-:hug:

Amiee-Please take care of yourself don't want to hear your sick my friend.

Have a great day everyone:)

Nan, Marisa is sleeping which is a great sign. Glad she is comfortable enough to get some rest. When she awakes tell her I'm thinking & praying for her~

Lauren, so relieved you didn't break anything. Be careful!

Glynis, you guys are painting machines!!!!

Ellen, enjoy your date night!!!!

Ann, sending prayers for a job change~

I know there has been some very understandable "holiday blues" and I pray for peace for everyone.
We sent out my Grandmother's dining set to be brought back to it's original finish & strengthened & it came back this morning, it is just beautiful .....I thought it would make me happy but just makes me miss her more.

I would be more than happy to start a WFD Thanksgiving reunion.....house is small but lots of love, good food & wine!!!!!

Last nights call was one that shook me to the core. I shared with some of you that Greg has a very young second cousin who is now pregnant with her second child at age 19......over the summer she dangled the adoption carrot in front of our faces for weeks & then rejected the idea & is doing it again. Last night her Dad called on her behalf & said she wanted specifics about us & the legal steps she needed to take. At the end of the call she was going to go to legal aid & file the needed papers. We shall see......even if we got that far she has 25 days in the state of Virginia to change her mind after the baby is born & the father can also step in at that point. I never wanted to deal with the let down again & wish I didn't know about it at all.....
bbl

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter