The What's For Dinner Thread - August '09(recipe index in OP)

Maria, :grouphug: Is the international route no longer an option for you all?? I don't blame you for your concerns over the cousin. Thinking and always praying for you.

Off to buy some diapers. BBL

Maria, :grouphug: Is the international route no longer an option for you all?? I don't blame you for your concerns over the cousin. Thinking and always praying for you.

Off to buy some diapers. BBL

We are full steam ahead with the International adoption.......

You are sweet. Just having some blues like a few other DFs on here. To much history to go into. Briefly, over the past several years my oldest DB and SIL have hurt my feelings on several diff occasions. Due to this, my once close relationship with them has suffered and will never be the same. Every Thanksgiving my whole family gets together at night for dessert at their house. Something took place at Emma's Christening that has pushed me to the point of not going there for the holiday. I am torn up inside because it hurts beyond belief and I am having a hard time accepting things, I hate not seeing my parents and other siblings, but on the other hand I always do for everyone else and end up in tears after I leave a function. It really is bothering me that DS will not get to be around the rest of the kids. But now he is old enough to tell when I am upset and it hurts him too. Unfortunately, lately me being so upset has upset my parents (which I can not take) so I think it is best I pass this holiday... just to many post partum emotions running wild I guess. Somedays I really wish I had a sister, having six brothers was wonderful but I miss that sisterly bond.

I understand, but that doesn't make it any better. I always wanted a sister to. My 2 girls are my godsend. I will be holding your very close sweetie.

Nan, Marisa is sleeping which is a great sign. Glad she is comfortable enough to get some rest. When she awakes tell her I'm thinking & praying for her~

Lauren, so relieved you didn't break anything. Be careful!

Glynis, you guys are painting machines!!!!

Ellen, enjoy your date night!!!!

Ann, sending prayers for a job change~

I know there has been some very understandable "holiday blues" and I pray for peace for everyone.
We sent out my Grandmother's dining set to be brought back to it's original finish & strengthened & it came back this morning, it is just beautiful .....I thought it would make me happy but just makes me miss her more.

I would be more than happy to start a WFD Thanksgiving reunion.....house is small but lots of love, good food & wine!!!!!

Last nights call was one that shook me to the core. I shared with some of you that Greg has a very young second cousin who is now pregnant with her second child at age 19......over the summer she dangled the adoption carrot in front of our faces for weeks & then rejected the idea & is doing it again. Last night her Dad called on her behalf & said she wanted specifics about us & the legal steps she needed to take. At the end of the call she was going to go to legal aid & file the needed papers. We shall see......even if we got that far she has 25 days in the state of Virginia to change her mind after the baby is born & the father can also step in at that point. I never wanted to deal with the let down again & wish I didn't know about it at all.....
bbl

Ah sweetie not again. This is just too much for you to deal with again. Just let it be for now. I am a FIRM believer that what is meant to be will be. You can't change it so just wait and see. My prayers are with you. :hug: Enjoy the table - you know she would want you to.

I knew I forgot something, our thanksgiving menu. Of course it's not very original. I had planned on simplifying thanksgiving this year, still nice, just simple. Last year there was just to much.

Turkey, nothing fancy with it
Gravy, and plenty of it
Stuffing, haven't made the sausage decision yet
Mashed sweet potatoes, my mom makes them
Mashed potatoes, frozen from Trader Joes, we tested them the other night and you can't tell they aren't homemade
Cranberry sauce, canned because it's fun to cut
Cranberry sauce, fresh because it's so darn easy to make
Green beans with bacon and shallots

Appetizers are just a mini wheel of brie, vidalia onion dip, maybe rosemary roasted nuts (but then I'd have to share them), and I think I need one more thing.

Dessert is pumpkin pie (the kiddo will make that), a Sare Lee frozen apple pie (it came with free ice cream so I couldn't pass it up) and a cranberry buckle.

I think I'm pushing it with the frozen pie, but any of you with a Trader Joe's nearby, you really need to try the frozen mashed potatoes. They are 2 dollars for a pound and a half. They are little ice cube size frozen mashed potatoes, you take out what you need and heat them up with milk. I don't think I'll ever make mashed potatoes again.

Quick fly by at work.....

Maria - I am keeping you & Greg in my prayers and in my heart.:hug:

I'd love to have everyone down here for Thanksgiving, wouldn't that be a great time!!!!:yay:

Lauri, I hope you don't get sick!

Maria, That must be gut-wrenching hard!:hug: Prayers for you & Greg & for this girl.:flower3:

Ann, I'm going to have to dig & see if I can find that old basic recipe. I don't use the recipe anymore I've done it for so long & I change it every year! I'll look or try writing it all down for you.

Quick fly by at work.....

Maria - I am keeping you & Greg in my prayers and in my heart.:hug:

I'd love to have everyone down here for Thanksgiving, wouldn't that be a great time!!!!:yay:

You wouldn't have to ask Greg more than once to head South!!!! You would be stuck with my Mom & Lily as well, so you might want to take the invite back:goodvibes

Sheryl, thanks:hug:
The girls name is Cameron...I know some people (including me) always like to know their name.

I promise to write down my stuffing recipe when I make it tonight or tomorrow~~~~

Sheryl- did you say boring food????? My DH would be drooling between teh seafood gumbo and the pot roast and the dressing :lmao: Stand your ground on the chocolate fountain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are sweet. Just having some blues like a few other DFs on here. I pass this holiday... just to many post partum emotions running wild I guess. Somedays I really wish I had a sister, having six brothers was wonderful but I miss that sisterly bond.

Ann :hug::hug::hug: Holidays are always bittersweet I think. No matter how blessed you are in your life if you cannot have your entire family around you on these very special days you cannot help but be blue. Buddy is estranged from most of his family and no matter how many people we have here and no matter that he would lay down his life or my family and they would walk through fire for him he still feels that void. I thak God every day for my sister Gail and so I also wish you had that special bond with another woman. That makes such a difference.

One thing I will say is that you will find that friend who is closer than blood. I believe that Welby has developed that bond with me and honestly it came from nowhere really. She was not looking for that bond and neither was I but both of us have filled a void neither of us knew we had. You will too :hug:

Hi Everyone Wfd-leftovers trying to clean out the fridge. Plus I think I'm getting what my husband and son had.

Try to get some rest!

I know there has been some very understandable "holiday blues" and I pray for peace for everyone.

Last nights call was one that shook me to the core.

I have lots to say but for now :hug:

Alan surprised me yesterday, by hiring a service to come in and deep clean our house. They will be here Friday and I'm a little nervous, but kind of excited about it, too. We've never done anything like this, but we're all feeling so overwhelmed with work and school, that we decided a little help is worth the money.

It is about time you realize you cannot do it all my friend! You may be a SAHM but that does not mean that you have not taken on way more than is possible to get done. Enjoy the help and no cooking on the day you get it done.....;)

DH had interview. It went well. Man told him their HR can move at a snails pace for first contact 2-3wks. He said once they send him for the drug test it will move quickly. He sounds positive. It wasn't advertised a guy he worked with before referred him. Prayers still please, hate to get false hope but it sounds like it could work out. They have Blue Cross which is so much better than our current crappy plan. But it would mean 3 more months of Cobra :headache:.
:wizard:

aren't parents the best. I really miss mine.

Well tonight is church night and I am working till after Choir practice at 8:30 tonight. I have so much to do before I leave on vacation next week. We will grab a bite to eat between practices. Afterall it is still date night. :lmao:

I miss mine as well. I think that my Mom's passing was wore than losing my Dad. After my Dad passed on we spent so much time together and when she was ill I practically moved in. Gail too. I think that we were blessed to have that opportunity to care for her, I did not think I could love her more than I already did but I was wrong.

Your parents must have been very close to be be back together after 6 months, and as Kady says, They are in Heaven, Nana. That is a good thing :goodvibes

Okay dinner is stuffed peppers, baked potatoes and probably corn. I have a salad ready to go but I really do not want it. I WANT CAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Maria, I'll pray for Cameron! :flower3:

Lori, If you're still around? I need to ask... Do you remember where you bought the grapes that are on my wine necklace? ( I put mine back together with wire, so A can't pop it again.;)) That friend of Bob's that owns the winery comes down every Mardi Gras. I'd like to make one for him & his wife with his wine's corks.

I'm frying bacon again. Started with half the pack then realized, oh oh the house is going to smell like bacon! Threw in the whole pack! :lmao:

Thanks Maria, I'll pray for Cameron! :flower3:

Lori, If you're still around? I need to ask... Do you remember where you bought the grapes that are on my wine necklace? ( I put mine back together with wire, so A can't pop it again.;)) That friend of Bob's that owns the winery comes down every Mardi Gras. I'd like to make one for him & his wife with his wine's corks.

I'm frying bacon again. Started with half the pack then realized, oh oh the house is going to smell like bacon! Threw in the whole pack! :lmao:

Those came from Hobby Lobby. There's one in Slidell at the Gause exit. Michael's used to have them too, they were just a little more expensive. Haven't looked for them in awhile though.:rolleyes:

So, I'm shopping around for brands, etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

Not sure about brands, we have a Kenmore, there are so many these days that do everything but put the dishes in themselves! :rotfl: One of the things I really like about ours is that the silverware holder has holes for individual pieces rather then being clumped all together. It also is one long one that goes down the side rather sitting in the middle, although I know it really doesn't, it seems to take up less room. The top flips up so that you can put anything in it that is too big to fit the holes.

After the phone call we just had about an adoption I truly need a hug

:hug:

Traditional things I like but no one else will eat are...candied sweet potatoes, stringbean casserole, butternut squash, etc. But I do not feel like making all the extra work for just me.

As far as desserts we all like diff things and once again I hate to make six diff things and just one piece gets eaten out of each. I love cheesecake, DH enjoys chocolate, and DSD pumpkin pie. Just so darn frustrated over the whole thing. DH just doesn't understand why it aggrevates me.

How about this- :thumbsup2

Make a baked candied sweet potato- bake the potato. When it's done add butter, brown sugar and mini marshmallows. Put it back in the oven for a few minutes to get all melty

Absolutely do the stringbean casserole, cut your recipe in half. You will have leftover, but it always seems to taste better the next day anyway. At least to me it does. ;)

And most stores seem to have butternut squash already cut up.

As for dessert get DH a chocolate cheese cake birthday cake and DSD a mini pumpkin pie. Or you could make them yourself in muffin tins and freeze what doesn't get eaten.

Just a heads up ladies, our thread is quickly approaching the end. I'll be setting us up in a new home soon!:goodvibes

A link to our Thanksgiving menu:

http://www.sonesta.com/Corporate/index.cfm?fa=mediaPress.detail&gid=9703&sid=9

:eek: :love: I wish I had something like that around here!

The banquet last night was nice. They got the Seniors these really nice duffle bags with their names embroidered on them. The one boy was so excited because they put his entire last name on it, his is hyphenated and has four parts.

Dinner was from a local restaurant and was really good, I ate way too much. They had cake and one of the dad's brought ice cream sandwiches, apparently he used to bring them to the boys all the time.

My DM is making dinner tonight, the crockpot was on this morning! :rolleyes: Last month she bought a crockpot seasoning kit for chicken and has yet to use it. :sad2:

Thanksgiving dinner is a work in progress :thumbsup2

I am cooking the meal, I get offers from my Sis Il and my sister but I have discovered that I am a bit of a control freak in the kitchen ;)

I farmed out appetizers to Janice. She is making some kind of brocolli square thing. She may make a pie that the boys like

My DMIL is picking up a pumpkin pie from Costco for Jeff. He does not like mine, he prefers store bought so this is perfect for her. I don't like her working too hard. She also brings chips for every holiday.:)

Gail is going to make dessert. I have no idea what. SHe also may make an appetizer

I am sending Donny to Costco for those plastic plates that look like china. No more huge batches of dishes on Holidays!

I am making:
Turkey and gravy
Sausage and apple stuffing
Plain old bread stuffing for the two who have dangles a Ruby Tuesday menu in front of me
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potato gratin
Haricots verts with orange (I saw it on RR and they looked good)
Mashed turnip and carrots
corn
homemade cranberry sauce
Spiced cranberry and apple jello salad
Canned cranberry sauce
Rolls and butter
dessert and coffee and wine

If I feel like baking I will make some pies and an apple bar for Erica

I may tinker with the sides and want to make a soup to start. I always end up deciding two days before what else I want

I hear you on this! This is why DH knows that if I cook the big meal, he gets to clean up after the big meal. He's pretty good at it, too. Of course, things could be hairy this year, as my dishwasher is on it's last legs. Which brings me to the best news! Dad called last night and told us he wants to buy us a dishwasher for Christmas!!! I'm so excited!!! I've never had one that was new before! So, I'm shopping around for brands, etc. Any advice would be appreciated!

Congrats! That's awesome!!

Alan surprised me yesterday, by hiring a service to come in and deep clean our house. They will be here Friday and I'm a little nervous, but kind of excited about it, too. We've never done anything like this, but we're all feeling so overwhelmed with work and school, that we decided a little help is worth the money.

What a sweet man he is!

DH had interview. It went well. Man told him their HR can move at a snails pace for first contact 2-3wks. He said once they send him for the drug test it will move quickly. He sounds positive. It wasn't advertised a guy he worked with before referred him. Prayers still please, hate to get false hope but it sounds like it could work out. They have Blue Cross which is so much better than our current crappy plan. But it would mean 3 more months of Cobra :headache:.

Sounds promising - I hope it works out

You are sweet. Just having some blues like a few other DFs on here. To much history to go into. Briefly, over the past several years my oldest DB and SIL have hurt my feelings on several diff occasions. Due to this, my once close relationship with them has suffered and will never be the same. Every Thanksgiving my whole family gets together at night for dessert at their house. Something took place at Emma's Christening that has pushed me to the point of not going there for the holiday. I am torn up inside because it hurts beyond belief and I am having a hard time accepting things, I hate not seeing my parents and other siblings, but on the other hand I always do for everyone else and end up in tears after I leave a function. It really is bothering me that DS will not get to be around the rest of the kids. But now he is old enough to tell when I am upset and it hurts him too. Unfortunately, lately me being so upset has upset my parents (which I can not take) so I think it is best I pass this holiday... just to many post partum emotions running wild I guess. Somedays I really wish I had a sister, having six brothers was wonderful but I miss that sisterly bond.

:hug:

Last nights call was one that shook me to the core. I shared with some of you that Greg has a very young second cousin who is now pregnant with her second child at age 19......over the summer she dangled the adoption carrot in front of our faces for weeks & then rejected the idea & is doing it again. Last night her Dad called on her behalf & said she wanted specifics about us & the legal steps she needed to take. At the end of the call she was going to go to legal aid & file the needed papers. We shall see......even if we got that far she has 25 days in the state of Virginia to change her mind after the baby is born & the father can also step in at that point. I never wanted to deal with the let down again & wish I didn't know about it at all.....
bbl

Augh, what an emotional rollercoaster. Just isn't fair. :sad1:

Another busy day - I will find something to eat tonight here at church.

Those came from Hobby Lobby. There's one in Slidell at the Gause exit. Michael's used to have them too, they were just a little more expensive. Haven't looked for them in awhile though.:rolleyes:

I'm sorry I should have asked you first if it's okay to steal your idea!:guilty: Don't worry I won't be handing them out in WDW! Just for this guy & his wife, they have sent us a whole case of the good stuff once before!

I'm sorry I should have asked you first if it's okay to steal your idea!:guilty: Don't worry I won't be handing them out in WDW! Just for this guy & his wife, they have sent us a whole case of the good stuff once before!

No problem!:hug:

Make as many as you want, I'm glad you were inspired by them!:thumbsup2

Wish I could get that way again so I'd make more.... but it's just not there for me anymore- guess I made too many for work.:upsidedow

Nancy, Your menu sounds yummy too! Y'all are going to have a ton of food! I see you deal with family with issues too! Store bought pumpkin pie, canned cranberry & threats of going to Ruby Tuesday! :upsidedow

I realized just now that A's not the only one to succumb to the smell of bacon! I'm having a truly decandent lunch a BLT spread with goat cheese! I don't know if I'll ever get the bacon in the casserole!:rotfl2:

Quick fly by...

Maria, I am so sorry that you are going through all this. My heart goes out to you and Greg. It will all work out...as Glynis said and I agree with, things happen for a reason. Please call me if you would like to talk. I would love to see a picture of your Grandmothers set if you ever get a chance.

Ann, I have had my share of problems with my siblings especially around the holidays. I have one brother that I have basically written off...I still feel badly but when a person goes out of their way to be a jerk, they do not deserve to share my life. I dont know if I am making sense but just wanted you to know, you are not alone.

Lauri, I hope you start feeling better. When are you leaving?

OK, off to start roasting turkey parts for gravy and do my stuffing.

BBL

Everyones menus sound great and are an inspiration for me to quit *itching.

Nancy, thanks for the post. FYI, you made me cry!

Marilyn, glad you enjoyed the banquet! If I make anything for myself to enjoy it is going to be either the stringbean casserole, cauliflower gratin, or someone's articoke casserole.

Sheryl, you are killing me with the bacon. It is like I can smell it right through the computer. ;)

Lauren- Do you do anything special to your gravy so you can freeze it? I'd like to make mine now, I have turkey stock, but I don't want to find on on Thanksgiving that it's no good.

Ann- Marilyn's sweet potato idea sounds really cute, but of course if you do that everyone is going to want one! I have some trouble with my inlaws. My mil made some really stupid comments after my gram passed (still haven't heard from her) but she's known for her stupid comments. She took my daughter swimming in the ocean when there were rip currents (the same weekend that little girl was washed away in Acadia) after I told her she could only take her to a pond...things like that and many more. Anyway, I've decided I love the holidays and I won't let them ruin them for me, if not, they win. This is your Emma's first thanksgiving and you'll end up having a good time at dinner anyway so why not start now? Hope that didn't come across to preachy, just don't want you to miss out on the fun of the holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter