The Royal Voyage: Fantasy Eastern Caribbean Nov. 3 10, 2012!!! (with Pictures!!!)

Amazing photos and great TR. just got off the Dream 3 weeks ago and after seeing your photos can't wait for our October sail on the Fantasy. Lovely!

Like everyone before me has said, Incredible pictures!!!! I'm really enjoying reading all of your experiences in detail! We are taking our 2.5 y/o daughter on the Fantasy May 18th. We are not going to Puerto Rico, but we will be doing St. Marten. I plan on doing the Sky Ride to Paradise Point with Riley. I think we'll leave the stroller behind it sounds like! Thank you so much for the advice (whether you realized you were giving it or not!) Your family is beautiful and overall it looks like you had a wonderful time; minus the first day! ;) I look forward to more of your posts! :cheer2:

Amazing photos and great TR. just got off the Dream 3 weeks ago and after seeing your photos can't wait for our October sail on the Fantasy. Lovely!

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!

Day 6: And on the 6th Day, We Rested

IMG_1517 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Day 6 of our voyage ended up being a very easy going day. It was a Sea Day for us; and we really didn’t have any set plans. One of the main things we did though, was pretty much finish up our shopping. Of course, we hit the stores on other days of the trip. But this was the perfect time to really get those last minute souvenirs. And the fact that there weren’t a lot of people in the area, made it more tolerable. It’s also nice that Disney Cast Members got a really good discount on items. I believe that their 40% off discount from that time of year can also be applied to purchases on the ship. Just an FYI. ;)

Being that I’m not super into long shopping (although I don’t HATE it), I decided to go with my DD to check out Jack-Jack’s Incredible Diaper Dash. This race is located in the atrium, and is a total must see!!! There are about 3 rounds of non-walking infants, in a “dash” to get to the end of the “track”. And being that little ones have a mind of their own, and sometimes unique forms of getting around; there was never a dull moment to this. It also helped that one of the liveliest CM’s on the ship was MC’ing the event. So if you’re looking for something to do on a Sea Day, definitely find out if this is going on. And I know they had it at least one other day (our tablemates mentioned it). So if you can’t see them all, at least check out one. They also don’t last a very long time either. Don’t forget, these are infants we’re talkin’ about.

IMG_1520 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1527 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1534 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

This kinda seemed like our “get stuff done” day. After shopping, we took some time to go and check out our pictures at Shutters. I’m not sure if I mentioned it or not, but the whole Shutters experience is a lot better than it was on the Magic (I wonder if it’s changed on there?!?!… hmmm). If I remember correctly; on the Magic, you basically had to buy/discard the pictures that day (not really a particular day), or leave them scattered about on the shelves. For instance; there’d be a wall of pictures from Lumiere’s, or pictures with Fancy Mickey. And if you didn’t take your particular picture from that wall, it would just remain there until you did something with it (bought it, or threw it out). But if the pictures got moved around for some reason, you’d have to find them all over again (it sounds worse than it actually was).

On the Fantasy, they still make use of a few of those walls; but most of your pics can be found in your family’s own personal folder (and NO, you don’t get to keep it). This is the perfect setup; because you’re able to go to this exact spot everyday to view your photos, and constantly go back and forth between “which smile looked the best” (or the least bad). Visually, the Shutters setup kind of resembles a little library area. They have beautiful wooden shelves; and the folders themselves look like books. To find the permanent location of your folder, you just wave your room key near a little device; and you’re immediately given the precise coordinates (each “bookcase” is a different character; then it goes from there). I guess I should also mention how your pictures end up there in the first place. It’s all coordinated through the room key!!! So basically, it’s exactly like the PhotoPass cards they use in the parks. Whenever the photographers take your picture, they swipe your key. And when you want to view the photos; you can either head to Shutters Digital (to see all of the pics they took), or to the traditional Shutters setup (the library looking one, where some of those pictures have already been printed). Shutters Digital is just a room of touch screens setup to help you manage the pictures that have been taken. So if you meet Cinderella one day, and they snap 5 pictures; you’ll see all 5 at Shutters Digital. But in your personal folder, maybe you’ll just see one of those takes; or maybe even none at all. When we checked out the Digital area, we saw photos that we had forgotten we even took!!! So it’s a good idea to visit both of the areas. They are also right next to each other. No need to wander around getting lost or anything. You’ll experience enough of that as it is. ;)

IMG_1570 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1523 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1545 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1553 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1549 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1568 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

My Disney Pics on Flickr!!!!! :cool1:

Beautiful family, beautiful pictures, and excellent report! Thanks so much!!!!! :sunny:

magrudersmakes3 said:
I have loved the whole trip report and the pictures have been amazing, but I have to say that this is by far my favorite one!!

I really really like that one myself. And luckily for us, she's actually that happy every morning when she wakes up. If she's not, we know there's a problem.

View La La by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After our Shutters trip, my DW and DD went to take a nap; while again, I walked around the ship (poor me… I know). This time, I wanted to get some pictures of Europa (the club area); because I haven’t really taken many photos back there. So I went in a couple of the spots, to finally take them in; but I still wasn’t super successful. I really really wanted to go in the Skyline Lounge, because it seemed really cool from the glimpse I had gotten earlier in the cruise. But there was a wine tasting or something going on in there. I didn’t want them thinking, “what’s this kid doing in here???” (I’m 32, but sometimes look like I’m barely pushing 18… I still get carded). I also kinda wanted to go in O’Gills; but I hesitated there as well. There might’ve been some fun activities going on in there; and I’m really not the most outgoing type (trust me, my wife is COMPLETELY surprised I’m writing such a lengthy trip report). Now if these were big spread out spaces, I’d be totally fine just wandering around in them. But Disney kept them nice and intimate, I guess you could say.

IMG_1576 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1595 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1611 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

D Lounge (not in Europa) is where a lot of family activities are held. This is also where we did all of the Wake Up With Disney Junior events.
IMG_1615 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1639 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

For dinner this night, we would be going to Royal Court. This would also be the “highly anticipated” lobster night. I use quotes there because I feel like I could get lobster with no problem. We don’t go to fancy restaurants a lot, or order lobster really ever; but I feel like the option presents itself often enough. But with a lot of the other foods on the cruise (mainly appetizers and desserts), they are more of a rarity. Even with saying all of that, I still can’t pass up the lobster. ;) And yes, it was definitely as good as expected. I felt that way at least. The other side of our table… not so much. Our Aussie table mates had never tried lobster before. So in addition to their main course, they were given some lobster on the side. Neither of them liked it. In fact, the guy liked the escargot from earlier in the cruise (which was also a first for him) much better than the lobster. He said he’d only eat it again if he was stranded on a desert island. So yes, he’d make the ultimate desert island mate. He can gladly have all the snails. I’ll take the lobsters.

This also ended up being a great night for their son and our daughter. Both were pretty well behaved. And they were really cute together too. They started off the night coloring from the same little menu. They held hands as we were leaving the restaurant. And they even joined all of the other little kids as they danced to the jazzy stylings of the Fine Whines, out in the atrium. And no, they weren’t playing kiddie songs or anything. They were actually a part of the adult entertainment, all throughout the cruise. So it was funny to see what their target audience was that night.

IMG_1654 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1665 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

After the mini dance party, we eventually head over to the night’s show; which is “Disney’s Believe”. It turned out to be a pretty good show. It also incorporated a lot of Disney movies; and in a way that actually fit the overall story. So definitely no disappointments there.

So the show was basically the end of OUR night; but it wasn’t the end of MINE. There would be no roaming around the ship though. Tonight at Midnight, they would be PremEARing the movie “Lincoln”, in the Walt Disney Theatre. Being able to do this was such a cool experience. Disney didn’t really do anything super special or anything. But it was nice to catch the opening night of major film, as if we were back at home. There weren’t a lot of people in there either; so you could easily get a good seat. And there were a few food/beverage offerings as well (not Free, of course). Since this is being written months after the film was released, I guess it goes without saying that the movie was good. Daniel Day Lewis was perfect as Lincoln. Now, I’ll probably picture his portrayal whenever I hear/read about Honest Abe. That’s mainly to do with the voice he used (which is more historically accurate). So we’ll see real soon if that performance lands him an Oscar; or if Tommy Lee Jones takes one home for his character in the film (also a great role).

Now that I remember, it was a little tense being in the theatre that night. Not because of the subject of the movie; but from the movement of the ship. The Walt Disney theatre is located on Decks 3 & 4 Forward. And whenever the ship would hit a big wave, we could definitely feel it. I personally wasn’t too nervous. But if you had some anxiety about being out at sea, that movie going experience would not have been good.

IMG_1660 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

I've been lurking for a while on this TR. Great shots and I love your perspective.

Your family is just gorgeous and I thank you for sharing your cruise holiday. I get horribly seasick so it's unlikely that I'll ever take a cruise myself. But I just adore all the Disney details, which you have so lovingly captured. It's going to be the closest I get to seeing things up close.

I've been lurking for a while on this TR. Great shots and I love your perspective.

Your family is just gorgeous and I thank you for sharing your cruise holiday. I get horribly seasick so it's unlikely that I'll ever take a cruise myself. But I just adore all the Disney details, which you have so lovingly captured. It's going to be the closest I get to seeing things up close.

Thanks a lot!!!! And it's too bad that you get seasick (though the ships aren't too unstable), because the cruise really is amazing.

I should also have the last day's report up soon. Don't know why I've gotten away from just trying to finish this up.

I just had to let you know that I just love your photos! I feel like I am looking at a brochure for the cruise!

I just found this report but it's amazing. You have a beautiful family...your daughter is a doll!...and your photos are incredible. You are making me miss my Fantasy cruise that I took last October. :)

Jill in CO

I just found this report but it's amazing. You have a beautiful family...your daughter is a doll!...and your photos are incredible. You are making me miss my Fantasy cruise that I took last October. :)

Jill in CO

Thanks!!!!!!!

Day 7: The Cherry On Top

IMG_1701 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So our Royal Voyage is just about done. But no trip would be complete without a stop at Disney’s Castaway Cay. It’s the perfect way to “sort of” wind down from all of the hustle and bustle of the trip’s previous days. Located in the Bahamas, Disney’s island completely caters to EVERYONE!!! There are a couple of family beaches located next to each other. But there is also an adult beach (Serenity Bay) that is totally separate from those. Again, another reason why your Disney Cruise can be very much adult oriented.

IMG_1695 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1708 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

(clickable)
Pelican Plunge by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

We, of course, would make our way to one of the family beaches. Although we haven’t spent a whole lot of time with my in-laws this trip, we did make it a plan to spend our Castaway Cay day with them. One of our only concerns about Castaway Cay, was how our DD would react to being in the sand. During the couple of months leading up to the cruise, we had visited both Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach. And she didn’t want to have anything to do with the sand at either of those water parks. You would’ve thought we were trying to put her down on broken glass. Heck, it was difficult to even place her down on the foam surfaces that just LOOK like sand. But luckily for us, and everyone in the vicinity, she had no problems whatsoever. She played in the sand quite nicely; and didn’t hesitate walking into the VERY cold water that day. I’ll even admit that I’m pretty much a wimp when it comes to cold water. So when she was literally waste deep, I was still standing back and psyching myself up. If mommy wasn’t there, we’d still be standing in the sand.

IMG_1724 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

We didn’t stay on the beach a long time, because it was a little hotter than we expected. But I kind of wished we had ventured around a little more; because we (or maybe just I) didn’t realize there was a little splash zone area (“Spring-A-Leak”) for little kids. Oddly enough, while we were on the beach, my mother-in-law had bought our DD a shirt that depicted that splash area. And of course, I didn’t totally take note of what was on the shirt, until it was too late. But at least we’ll know for next time…. October 2014!!!!!!!!!!

IMG_1736 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

So we attend the BBQ (really good food, btw), then head back to the ship. But feeling the need to grab a few pics; I opt out of the tram ride, and decide to just walk back on my own. I didn’t go too crazy though…. like “quickly” heading over to Serenity Bay (although I wanted to). I just stuck to one of the beaches, and the sidewalk that trailed back to the boat.

IMG_1763 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

(clickable)

Disney's Human Element - Chase the Oasis by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

Docking at Castaway Cay makes for the best views of the back of the ship…..
IMG_1703 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

IMG_1784 by Scott Smith (SRisonS), on Flickr

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter