The Official 2013 Fall Professional Internship Thread!

Hey everyone! I'm not a Fall 2013 hopeful, but I AM a current Guest Relations PI. Just found this thread so I figured I'd pop in and say hello and good luck to everyone!

I'm also currently living in PI housing. So if anyone has any questions about anything related to the program, the role, interview process, housing, etc, just let me know!

Hey everyone! I'm not a Fall 2013 hopeful, but I AM a current Guest Relations PI. Just found this thread so I figured I'd pop in and say hello and good luck to everyone!

I'm also currently living in PI housing. So if anyone has any questions about anything related to the program, the role, interview process, housing, etc, just let me know!

Hi Nicole! I was interested in knowing more about the PI housing. How do you like it? Is it weird having so many roommates? Is it in a good location for most PIs? Thanks in advance!

I'm coming for your job!!! haha Just kidding... kind of. Guest Relations was my top choice for role. So I've heard different things, but is there a second interview for guest relations or any of the Alumni positions? Do you get scheduled at different parks? Do you or can you be scheduled to give tours like keys to the kingdom or backstage magic? Do the GR PIs get trained to be VIP guides? Before accepting your role is it possible to find out if there is available housing? I don't want to give up my CP acceptance for the PI and then find out that there is no room in PI housing and end up not being able to do either. Do you sign up for PI housing online or is it whoever gets down to Florida first get the available rooms?

Sorry for so many questions!

I'm coming for your job!!! haha Just kidding... kind of. Guest Relations was my top choice for role. So I've heard different things, but is there a second interview for guest relations or any of the Alumni positions? Do you get scheduled at different parks? Do you or can you be scheduled to give tours like keys to the kingdom or backstage magic? Do the GR PIs get trained to be VIP guides? Before accepting your role is it possible to find out if there is available housing? I don't want to give up my CP acceptance for the PI and then find out that there is no room in PI housing and end up not being able to do either. Do you sign up for PI housing online or is it whoever gets down to Florida first get the available rooms?

I also want to know these answers!!! GR was my #1 choice:)

Hi Nicole! I was interested in knowing more about the PI housing. How do you like it? Is it weird having so many roommates? Is it in a good location for most PIs? Thanks in advance!

I like PI housing so far. The rules are not as strict as CP housing, and it includes some light housekeeping every other week (so no fighting about who has to clean to toilet haha). It's a nice place in an AWESOME location... My drive to work (I work at Magic Kingdom) is literally five minutes. It was just really convenient to not have to worry about finding a place, one that might be able to do a shorter lease (because the future past 6 months is uncertain), getting furniture, and finding roommates I could trust to pay their portion of rent and bills on time.

I came straight from CP housing so I have the same number of roommates as I did before. They are all two bedrooms with 4 people. My actual roommate and I share pretty opposite schedules so we don't run into each other much. Honestly I work closing shifts almost every night so I don't get home until almost everyone else is asleep so the number of them doesn't bother me.

We do have a washer and dryer in unit which, after living on the third floor and having to lug my laundry up and down for sixth months, is a LIFESAVER.

My main gripe about PI housing is the cost. It's $135 a week. If you add that all up, that means our collective rent is $2,160 a month, which is insane, even with all utilities included. You could easily find somewhere else where you didn't have to share a room for less money than you pay here.

You also don't get to pick your roommates like we did in CP housing. It's pretty much random as far as I can tell, although there is a little roommate matching questionnaire thing we filled out (are you messy or clean, do you smoke and does it bother you if others do, etc).

But overall I'm happy here. It was just so. much. easier.

I also want to know these answers!!! GR was my #1 choice:)

There was no second interview for GR, and as far as I've heard alumni only usually only has the one interview.

With GR you get a home, but you're able to pick up shifts somewhere else. For example, I'm Magic Kingdom GR, so I'll only ever get scheduled in MK, but if there's a shift on EHH for Animal Kingdom, or someone wants to give away their shift at Epcot, you can take it because GR is a global role. I haven't tried out another GR yet but I have some friends who have.

As for tours, yes, those all fall under GR. However, you can't audition for them until you're statused (which would happen if you stay on after your PI). I've heard that Epcot GR interns can audition for some of their tours (like the Segway), but that's the only park where you would be able to. I'm not Epcot so I don't really know how that works. And VIP tour guides usually have to be in GR for at least a year, although I've heard they're cutting down to 6 months. But either way, you can't give them as a PI.

As for housing, they asked me when they offered my the PI if I needed housing, and I said no (at that point I was going to live with a friend of mine). It wasn't until a few weeks later I decided I did want to live in PI housing but there was still room available. You sign up for it online after your acceptance. I'm not sure if there's a way to check if it's full before you accept, you'd have to ask your recruiter. But from my experience, as long as you don't wait until the last minute, you should be able to get a spot.

With all the new tech being rolled out, the GR position is changing a LOT right now... It's very exciting! MK has 29 interns right now, almost twice the usual amount, because of everything that's going on. GR positions are in City Hall and at the Window (though window training doesn't happen right away). With the new RFID tap-to-enter media, we also have GR at Park Entry for any issues there. Once MyMagic+ really rolls out, and the FastPass+ starts, we'll have a GR person at every FastPass+ station throughout the park. So definitely try to keep up with all the new tech stuff going on over here, because we're the ones that are going to have to know how to use or fix all of it!

I like PI housing so far. The rules are not as strict as CP housing, and it includes some light housekeeping every other week (so no fighting about who has to clean to toilet haha). It's a nice place in an AWESOME location... My drive to work (I work at Magic Kingdom) is literally five minutes. It was just really convenient to not have to worry about finding a place, one that might be able to do a shorter lease (because the future past 6 months is uncertain), getting furniture, and finding roommates I could trust to pay their portion of rent and bills on time.

I came straight from CP housing so I have the same number of roommates as I did before. They are all two bedrooms with 4 people. My actual roommate and I share pretty opposite schedules so we don't run into each other much. Honestly I work closing shifts almost every night so I don't get home until almost everyone else is asleep so the number of them doesn't bother me.

We do have a washer and dryer in unit which, after living on the third floor and having to lug my laundry up and down for sixth months, is a LIFESAVER.

My main gripe about PI housing is the cost. It's $135 a week. If you add that all up, that means our collective rent is $2,160 a month, which is insane, even with all utilities included. You could easily find somewhere else where you didn't have to share a room for less money than you pay here.

You also don't get to pick your roommates like we did in CP housing. It's pretty much random as far as I can tell, although there is a little roommate matching questionnaire thing we filled out (are you messy or clean, do you smoke and does it bother you if others do, etc).

Thanks for the insight! I just graduated with my undergrad, and I've gone from dorms with roommates to an apartment with roommates to currently living by myself. So I've kind of seen it all and I was wondering how the PI housing would compare.

There was no second interview for GR, and as far as I've heard alumni only usually only has the one interview.

With GR you get a home, but you're able to pick up shifts somewhere else. For example, I'm Magic Kingdom GR, so I'll only ever get scheduled in MK, but if there's a shift on EHH for Animal Kingdom, or someone wants to give away their shift at Epcot, you can take it because GR is a global role. I haven't tried out another GR yet but I have some friends who have.

As for tours, yes, those all fall under GR. However, you can't audition for them until you're statused (which would happen if you stay on after your PI). I've heard that Epcot GR interns can audition for some of their tours (like the Segway), but that's the only park where you would be able to. I'm not Epcot so I don't really know how that works. And VIP tour guides usually have to be in GR for at least a year, although I've heard they're cutting down to 6 months. But either way, you can't give them as a PI.

As for housing, they asked me when they offered my the PI if I needed housing, and I said no (at that point I was going to live with a friend of mine). It wasn't until a few weeks later I decided I did want to live in PI housing but there was still room available. You sign up for it online after your acceptance. I'm not sure if there's a way to check if it's full before you accept, you'd have to ask your recruiter. But from my experience, as long as you don't wait until the last minute, you should be able to get a spot.

With all the new tech being rolled out, the GR position is changing a LOT right now... It's very exciting! MK has 29 interns right now, almost twice the usual amount, because of everything that's going on. GR positions are in City Hall and at the Window (though window training doesn't happen right away). With the new RFID tap-to-enter media, we also have GR at Park Entry for any issues there. Once MyMagic+ really rolls out, and the FastPass+ starts, we'll have a GR person at every FastPass+ station throughout the park. So definitely try to keep up with all the new tech stuff going on over here, because we're the ones that are going to have to know how to use or fix all of it!

Thanks for the information! I am really hoping Disney picks me for this role! I did not realize that there were so many GR spots. I thought there were only 30 total for the whole resort! Obviously there are less at the other parks so there could be around 50-60 spots?

Do you remember when you heard back in relation to the deadline to hear? They told us the latest would be April 26th. I guess I am asking how close to the deadline did you hear back? Were their additional steps you had to take before you got an offer? (Like they asked for transcripts or a background check?)

Are there housing "events" like on the CP? Is it easy to meet other PI's or more difficult?

What are your plans for after your PI ends? Are you looking to be statused in GR? or are you interested in moving elsewhere in the company (or outside the company?)

Thanks again!!

Thanks for the information! I am really hoping Disney picks me for this role! I did not realize that there were so many GR spots. I thought there were only 30 total for the whole resort! Obviously there are less at the other parks so there could be around 50-60 spots?

Do you remember when you heard back in relation to the deadline to hear? They told us the latest would be April 26th. I guess I am asking how close to the deadline did you hear back? Were their additional steps you had to take before you got an offer? (Like they asked for transcripts or a background check?)

Are there housing "events" like on the CP? Is it easy to meet other PI's or more difficult?

What are your plans for after your PI ends? Are you looking to be statused in GR? or are you interested in moving elsewhere in the company (or outside the company?)

Thanks again!!

There aren't normally that many GR PI spots; this is literally just a freak timing thing with all the new tech stuff we're implementing and the GR spots that have opened up with that. From the rumblings going around it won't be this large of a group again... Most of us want to stay on and having so many interns has already caused problems with training and scheduling. Some people say that it's likely they'll have a lot of us stay to fill those extra positions and go back to a more normal sized intern group. Usually there's about 15 at MK, and 15 others spread around the other parks and DTD. But again, these are just rumors, no one really knows what's going to happen.

There aren't really housing events at Falcon (PI housing) but you do get an "offsite" housing ID so you can attend all the events at CP housing.

I heard back about three weeks before the deadline... I forget how long it had been since my interview but it sure seemed like FOREVER haha. It also seemed like everyone on the planet was getting a "yes" phone call before me but that wasn't actually the case haha.

There wasn't anything else extra I had to do after the interview... Just try to wait as patiently as possible. The did send an email asking permission to do a background check... But I swear that was like a month before the offer. And there were people who got the background check email and didn't end up getting an offer.

I'm hoping to stay on and get statused after my PI. I'd really like to possibly do some tours, and hopefully get into the training side of things. I'd love to be a trainer or facilitate the Bo Our Guest tours for new cast members. I don't really have a defined career goal here, just trying out different things and keeping my eyes peeled for new and exciting opportunities. Disney is a crazy place where things change all the time and new positions become available so I'm pretty much leaving myself open to all possibilities :)

There aren't normally that many GR PI spots; this is literally just a freak timing thing with all the new tech stuff we're implementing and the GR spots that have opened up with that. From the rumblings going around it won't be this large of a group again... Most of us want to stay on and having so many interns has already caused problems with training and scheduling. Some people say that it's likely they'll have a lot of us stay to fill those extra positions and go back to a more normal sized intern group. Usually there's about 15 at MK, and 15 others spread around the other parks and DTD. But again, these are just rumors, no one really knows what's going to happen.

There aren't really housing events at Falcon (PI housing) but you do get an "offsite" housing ID so you can attend all the events at CP housing.

I heard back about three weeks before the deadline... I forget how long it had been since my interview but it sure seemed like FOREVER haha. It also seemed like everyone on the planet was getting a "yes" phone call before me but that wasn't actually the case haha.

There wasn't anything else extra I had to do after the interview... Just try to wait as patiently as possible. The did send an email asking permission to do a background check... But I swear that was like a month before the offer. And there were people who got the background check email and didn't end up getting an offer.

I'm hoping to stay on and get statused after my PI. I'd really like to possibly do some tours, and hopefully get into the training side of things. I'd love to be a trainer or facilitate the Bo Our Guest tours for new cast members. I don't really have a defined career goal here, just trying out different things and keeping my eyes peeled for new and exciting opportunities. Disney is a crazy place where things change all the time and new positions become available so I'm pretty much leaving myself open to all possibilities :)

Thanks for all of the info! I want this really bad and I'm being cautiously optimistic about my chances. :)

Hi! Im dan, I applied for 2 PIs, the digital media and game designer internships. I'm super nervous since I doubt I will be the most/best qualified; my school does more concept/theory based work rather than technical skills but I figured I will never know unless I try. Now I just can't wait to hear back, submitted them a week ago and they haven't made any progress yet :(

Hi! Im dan, I applied for 2 PIs, the digital media and game designer internships. I'm super nervous since I doubt I will be the most/best qualified; my school does more concept/theory based work rather than technical skills but I figured I will never know unless I try. Now I just can't wait to hear back, submitted them a week ago and they haven't made any progress yet :(

Hi Dan! Welcome to the waiting game! I have a PI that hasn't had any progress since I applied 2 weeks ago. I'm hoping after the applications close on March 8th we'll start to see progress!! :)

Dustinbrady1215 said:
If you're lucky enough to receive an offer, does anyone know how long you have to decide to accept?

Not very long. It's pretty much a decide right then. They make the offer on the phone and I believe you have to accept it verbally and then they send you the formal paperwork to accept and you only have 2days to submit that or you are out.

Just finished my initial phone interview. I think it went really well and had some good answers. Now the waiting game is going to kill me! Does anyone know if all internships require a second interview?

So I think I have applied to all of them I could possibly apply for.

I am in progress for:
Park and Resorts Engineering PI (summer, fall, and DLR summer)
ESPN Engineering PI (summer)
College Program (back up and interviewed Friday 2/22)

I am in submission for:
Corporate Sourcing and Procurement PI (summer)
Corporate DTSS Mission Critical Facilities PI (6 month)

Has anyone seen any movement on any of these? I know engineering is usually one of the last to get any type of movement. Is there the initial interviews like the MIs and Alumni PIs? Or is it just an interview if the hiring manager is interested in you? The only one closed now is the Summer WDW one so I thought I might see movement in that one soon.... :confused3

Thanks in advance!

It's always easier to wait when you know others are waiting too!

My name is Amanda and this is my second timing applying for a PI. I have already worked in Enterntainment, but this time I'm interested in a PI. All of the internships I applied for are Employee Relations ones - I'm a Human Resource major. So far, I am "In Progress" for 4 of them! I had my interview for the Alumni only positions about a week and a half ago, and the lady interviewing told me at the end that I might have to wait longer since I interviewed during the very first week of interviews! Her and I joked for a minute or two about the fact that we all hate waiting, but I thanked her for giving me peace of mind!

Anyways, I applied for the Sourcing and Procurement Summer Internship too, but that one is still "In Submission" which is very surprising since I applied for it back in November. I honestly forgot I was still in the running until I loaded my Dashboard again after the Christmas holiday lol!

I love reading all your posts, and I'm so happy I joined!

Not very long. It's pretty much a decide right then. They make the offer on the phone and I believe you have to accept it verbally and then they send you the formal paperwork to accept and you only have 2days to submit that or you are out.

Great -- thanks for the help

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter