The New Windows 10 - Anyone install it yesterday? Thoughts?

I bit the bullet last night and went to 10. The upgrade was super easy and fast, with no issues. I'm not sure I love it however. I was one of those who actually liked Windows 8.1 quite a lot, and this new version doesn't really seem any better (and I miss a few interface things). I assume most of the changes are "under the hood" and I'll never really notice them. Oh well, at least the little icon will stop bugging me about it!

I'm in the crowd that could not stand Windows 8 or 8.1. That type of OS works best for a touch screen PC or tablet, not on a regular PC or laptop, which is what we have. I tried to get used to it, but couldn't for the most part of it. It was pretty easy for DH since he works in IT, but not for me. I couldn't find anything and it was very frustrating to me.

The one thing that I wish MS didn't do was change the "color scheme" (or lack thereof) of their calculator, Edge and MS Office. I feel like I'm in a padded room. Everything is TOO white (can I say THX-1138)! It's not easy on my eyes at all. If that was what they were trying to go for (easy on the eyes), then they failed IMO. Where's the color that makes certain areas pop out to give it some dimension? I thought we were supposed to be going forward with technology, not backwards :confused3 :mad:

Last edited:
I'm in the crowd that could not stand Windows 8 or 8.1. That type of OS works best for a touch screen PC or tablet, not on a regular PC or laptop, which is what we have. I tried to get used to it, but couldn't for the most part of it. It was pretty easy for DH since he works in IT, but not for me. I couldn't find anything and it was very frustrating to me. .....................

Personally I love the live tiles.

Personally I love the live tiles.

To each his own I guess. I never liked it. I can see using the live tiles if you have a touch screen. That's what it looks like it was designed for. But I have a regular PC laptop that is not touch screen. So for me, it was meaningless and more confusing when trying to find something.

So far, I like 10. I'm thankful that they brought the Start menu back. Now I can find things more easily :thumbsup2.

I do have to say that it will take time to get used to using Edge. I'm so used to having my toolbar (view, favorites, tools, etc.) up top and it's no longer there. I also prefer to have my bookmarks on the left, and with Edge, it's on the right. Drives me nuts. I don't even know how to organize my lists anymore. As far as I can see, there is no option on that drop down list like there was with IE. And looking at the Settings menu has not helped either. Anyone know how to do this?

ETA: Ok, finally Googled my question and found out how to add bookmarks, create folders and subfolders, and organize.

Last edited:
Which version?

Personally I find Ubuntu very user friendly, fast and pretty. That and it's free to everyone :) Mint is good for new users and Zorin is farmiliar to users of Windows.

I had Windows 10 installed today, August 6th. So far-so good. I previously had a few glitches with Windows 8, and that seems to be fixed with the new 10. I am keeping an open mind.

I won't even consider installing for at least a couple months.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter