The New Windows 10 - Anyone install it yesterday? Thoughts?

cybrkitn

We called it Bonko
Has anyone installed the new Windows 10 on their PC's yesterday? What are your thoughts on it?

I scheduled the free install for last night and had to have DH get me set up with the browser. MS is not using Internet Explorer anymore and have changed it to "Edge". Something I'm still trying to get used to. One thing I don't like about Edge is that I can't have my Favorites on the left side. It's defaulted to the right and just feels awkward to me :angry:

I haven't had a chance to check anything else on the new Windows.

Our laptop is still waiting to get the download. Haven't checked my daugther's computer yet. Scott Hanselman has done some videos about what was coming up in Windows 10, and I've watched most of those.

We use Chrome in our house, so the change from IE to Edge isn't an issue.

Here are three videos from Scott:

Last edited:

I've been in the Windows 10 insider program for a few months, so I've been playing with preliminary builds for awhile. I've had very few problems and it should be fairly easy for Windows 7 users to get used to. Only problem I've had is that sometimes my display will revert back to standard VGA...hoping they fixed that one. Otherwise, it seems to work well.

can I get a free install?

If you were eligible for a free install, there should be a Windows 10 logo on the right side of the task bar on the bottom of your screen. You need to sign up there...as I recall, they just ask for your email address.

I got the free upgrade but DH is an IT consultant and he told me under no circumstances to install it. He wants me to wait for awhile until all the little buggys have been worked out. I'm just getting used to 8 so I'm in no hurry, when he says it's good to go, I'll just hand my little Lenovo Yoga to him and say have at it.

Our laptop is still waiting to get the download. Haven't checked my daugther's computer yet. Scott Hanselman has done some videos about what was coming up in Windows 10, and I've watched most of those.

We use Chrome in our house, so the change from IE to Edge isn't an issue.

I've tried to use Chrome. It's ok, but I did find that one of the banking institutes I've used (don't remember which one) doesn't support it.

Back in the day, I used to use Netscape. Loved that browser. But then they did away with it and I had to use IE. Which at that time I hated. Over time I got used to it. I'm using Edge now and one of the things I don't like about it is that it's too white and washed out. They did it with both Excel and Word and I can't stand it. I don't want to feel like I'm in a padded room. I like things to pop with at least some color. Certain areas do need to stand out so you can find them.

Btw, does anyone know if it's possible to make the icons on the start up bar a little larger?

I'm waiting to hear back from Adobe. When they tell me Win10 works with their products, I'll seriously consider upgrading. Until then, I'm holding off. I can't afford to be unproductive.

Installed it on my spare laptop, and it works well. Edge is a little jittery, but good, and fortunately IE is still there (I have the Pro version, so YMMV, SRA). It works with Adobe at least back to CS3, and overall is a bit more responsive. It also plays nicely with all of the older ThinkPad utilities such as for the fingerprint reader and such. Compatibility is excellent, and Update Rollup 1 should be here in a few weeks (it's in testing now).

I work in IT, so I needed to try it out, but it won't make it to any production systems until later this fall for me.

It's FUD, it's an interesting feature, but it's not on by default, so unless you purposely click the "Share with my contacts" box when you sign into a WiFi hotspot.

Make sure to disable Wi-Fi Sense, and you will be fine. But still, that's stupid scary.

It's not stupid scary at all.... How often have you had friends over and had to give them your gigantic WiFi password so they could use your WiFi? It happens to me all the time.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter